2017-2018 Albany Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The "academic inconsistencies" question has me stumped. The one thing I feel I do need to explain is the 123 I got on the CARS section (127,128,130 on other sections and 3.74 cgpa/3.50 sgpa). I don't know how to go about it because I don't have any really good reasons for doing poorly on that section. I was doing decently on all my practice tests, but on the day of, my nerves got to me more than I had anticipated during that section and I probably didn't spend as much time preparing for it as I did for the other sections. I don't want to sound whiny or like I'm making bad excuses in the essay prompt, but also I want them to know that the 123 doesn't define my reasoning abilities. Any suggestions?
I wouldn't address it. Don't bring attention to a negative.

Members don't see this ad.

I did. I got accepted.
That's awesome....I'm just giving general SDN advice from the adcoms on here that you shouldn't draw attention to a negative, especially a low MCAT score in which any explanation you try to give just sounds like an excuse!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's awesome....I'm just giving general SDN advice from the adcoms on here that you shouldn't draw attention to a negative, especially a low MCAT score in which any explanation you try to give just sounds like an excuse!
The question is literally asking about academic inconsistencies. It's asking you to mention something negative. If you can tactfully bring up something negative and turn it into a positive I don't see why not.

Reactions: 1 user
The question is literally asking about academic inconsistencies. It's asking you to mention something negative. If you can tactfully bring up something negative and turn it into a positive I don't see why not.
:shrug: I thought the same as you when I was filling out this app-- I actually posted a thread on here asking how I should address this question, because I also have a low MCAT sub-section. Everyone told me that it wasn't an "inconsistency", and that an inconsistency was more like if you took the MCAT 2 times and had a significant score difference or had a significant drop in GPA between sophomore & junior year or something like that. The advice I got was that any explanation I attempted to give would come off sounding like an excuse, and so I decided to go ahead and not answer the question.

The OP can decide what they feel most comfortable doing! I am by no means an expert, just sharing the advice I got when I asked the same question.

just sharing the advice I got when I asked the same question.
repeating advice isn't helpful if you don't understand the foundation that advice sits upon. Drawing attention to a negative with no purpose is, of course, a bad idea. However, if you bring attention to a negative with purpose, that can be helpful. If you can articulate your position in a way that highlights desirable qualities, while ameliorating other concerns, then go for it. Maturity, taking responsibility, and learning from previous mistakes are all desirable qualities.

The "academic inconsistencies" question has me stumped. The one thing I feel I do need to explain is the 123 I got on the CARS section (127,128,130 on other sections and 3.74 cgpa/3.50 sgpa). I don't know how to go about it because I don't have any really good reasons for doing poorly on that section. I was doing decently on all my practice tests, but on the day of, my nerves got to me more than I had anticipated during that section and I probably didn't spend as much time preparing for it as I did for the other sections. I don't want to sound whiny or like I'm making bad excuses in the essay prompt, but also I want them to know that the 123 doesn't define my reasoning abilities. Any suggestions?

No need to bring more attention to it. A 123 is also not an academic inconsistency unless you've taken the MCAT more than once. Especially since CARS is such a variable section.

Can anyone comment on if it's too late to apply here? I've been complete with all my other secondaries for awhile now, but am having a freak out mode and feel like I need to add more schools. Would it even be worth adding this late?

repeating advice isn't helpful if you don't understand the foundation that advice sits upon. Drawing attention to a negative with no purpose is, of course, a bad idea. However, if you bring attention to a negative with purpose, that can be helpful. If you can articulate your position in a way that highlights desirable qualities, while ameliorating other concerns, then go for it. Maturity, taking responsibility, and learning from previous mistakes are all desirable qualities.

No need to be defensive. @fldoctorgirl was just trying to relay some of the wisdom they received from the experts on this website. I think she very much understands the foundation that the advice she was giving sits on.

No need to be defensive. @fldoctorgirl was just trying to relay some of the wisdom they received from the experts on this website. I think she very much understands the foundation that the advice she was giving sits on.

Seconded. There is little excuse you can give for a low CARS score. Better to not draw extra attention to it imo.

I understand the foundation. Like I said, the advice I'm relaying was literally about this same exact question from Albany's secondary. I looked at the question and thought, "hey, I should probably explain my low sub-section score". I posted a thread asking, and adcoms (and others) responded that I shouldn't do this, because a low sub-section score doesn't equal an inconsistency, like @tekkenman11 said, unless you've taken the MCAT multiple times. I will link the post here, for any one else who wishes to bash me for just trying to be helpful and answer a question that I too had when filling out this secondary: "Inconsistencies" secondary prompt

If OP still feels the need to explain their low sub-section, then that is their decision and of course I'm not going to tell them that they're wrong. I'm simply sharing the valuable advice (I would assume advice from adcoms is valuable in this process, after all) in an attempt to help someone. No need to attack me.

Either way, I'm done commenting about this. I don't wish to hijack the Albany thread arguing over whose advice is more valuable.

Thank you @pramsotingz & @MCATISEZ ....

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
for what it's worth, I explained my bad MCAT score the first time and how I studied diligently the second time around even though it was a good improvement just not a good score in general. Received an II about a week ago. LizzyM: 65

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
for what it's worth, I explained my bad MCAT score the first time and how I studied diligently the second time around even though it was a good improvement just not a good score in general. Received an II about a week ago. LizzyM: 65
See, this strategy seems to work all right, n=2 :)

You took the MCAT twice, the other poster didn't. In your case it makes sense to explain this inconsistency, but the other person does not have any since they only took the exam once.

Congrats on the II though!

Very true. I don't think they could expect you to explain a bad subsection score if you've only taken it once...things happen, the test can throw curveballs.

Rejected today as well. Complete early august. Good luck to the rest of you guys!

Will the MMI most likely ask you questions about current issues, like a new bioethical issue or the new health care bill that is trying to be passed? BTW I'm not asking for specific questions about the Albany MMI, I know that you can't tell me that, but I just want to know in general for MMI. Thanks!

Will the MMI most likely ask you questions about current issues, like a new bioethical issue or the new health care bill that is trying to be passed? BTW I'm not asking for specific questions about the Albany MMI, I know that you can't tell me that, but I just want to know in general for MMI. Thanks!
In general, MMIs can ask you about anything. Good luck!

Rejected today :/ oos but heavy NY connections

Fingers crossed CASPER turned out well... but not for this school I posted on the wrong thread

Last edited:
Oops fixed, was thinking NYMC

Fingers crossed CASPER turned out well... but not for this school I posted on the wrong thread
how do we know when they (NYMC or any school) has received our CASPER?

how do we know when they (NYMC or any school) has received our CASPER?

I really like that we've taken over the Albany thread talking about NYMC :laugh: But also it should say that your file is complete and under review when you check on it through their portal

Does anyone know where the best place to park near the school would be? Thanks

I just glanced through the thread/ went through the Albany website and did not see how much time we have for each of the MMIs. Can anyone tell me? I know you signed a waiver but it isn't content based.

I just glanced through the thread/ went through the Albany website and did not see how much time we have for each of the MMIs. Can anyone tell me? I know you signed a waiver but it isn't content based.

8 minutes per station from what I understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I submitted a while ago but was just looking at the secondary...you know the part where it asks most meaningful experiences and has our experience section from AMCAS on it?

It combines current and projected hours into one number, is this the way adcoms see it? I feel like thats strange that both are combined when technically future is not guaranteed

Like for my research full time job I put 2500hrs current 2500hrs future (another year) and it says 5000 hours total

Rejected today. Submitted on 8/19. Really grateful for the fast turnaround! Good luck all!

Rejected... Completed early August. 3 rejections in a week and no interviews so far.:dead:

512 MCAT 3.1 cGPA, 3.52 BCPM. Strong upward trend, 3.92 over my last 7 semesters, over 100 credits. Was hoping for some mercy there but it's not really a surprise. First rejection but just glad to know. That's one less portal I have to check 47 times a day :)

Rejected today.
3.2 c/s Undergrad Gpa, 3.8 grad gpa.
511 MCAT
Good luck to everyone else!