2017-2018 Albert Einstein College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
lol that is some transparent wishful thinking you got there.

You honestly don't see anything wrong with this? How is this any different than inappropriate interview behavior which schools have blacklisted for in the past?

This is basically an attempt to trick a school into interviewing them. Maybe they will get off free. But personally I don't see why I or anyone else should be ok with that.

If someone in your class was cheating you wouldn't be annoyed?

Reactions: 1 user
You honestly don't see anything wrong with this? How is this any different than inappropriate interview behavior which schools have blacklisted for in the past?

This is basically an attempt to trick a school into interviewing them. Maybe they will get off free. But personally I don't see why I or anyone else should be ok with that.

If someone in your class was cheating you wouldn't be annoyed?

I haven't even applied to Albert Einstein, but maybe the people who scheduled those interviews thought that their portal got updated with an II before receiving an email. That is not entirely out of the question, given that some schools do the same thing: Wayne State, VCU, UIC, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't even applied to Albert Einstein, but maybe the people who scheduled those interviews thought that their portal got updated with an II before receiving an email. That is not entirely out of the question, given that some schools do the same thing: Wayne State, VCU, UIC, etc.

That's not the case here. People found a link that allows them to schedule interviews

That's not the case here. People found a link that allows them to schedule interviews

Man, I'm surprised you're able to reach the keyboard to type all these butthurt posts from way up there on your high horse

• Haha
Reactions: 35 users
Man, I'm surprised you're able to reach the keyboard to type all these butthurt posts from way up there on your high horse

That logic could be extended to anything which someone disagrees with. I am very surprised no one else has an issue with tricking programs into interviewing applicants.

That logic could be extended to anything which someone disagrees with. I am very surprised no one else has an issue with tricking programs into interviewing applicants.

Literally everyone here thinks it's stupid. You're the only one who wants to see this person burn. That's not called being ethical, it's called being a dick.

Reactions: 20 users
How did this happen again? Did a link to schedule an interview just show up on the portal for some people?

If so, I would have assumed that an email was lost, not sent or delayed and I would have scheduled an interview to get the earliest date possible. I wouldn't have waited for the email to come and just assumed the portal was accurate. In this case people definitely should not be punished.

If people managed to pilfer the interview link from somewhere and go ahead and schedule an interview then they have every right to be upset. It is akin to submitting a secondary before you are invited. But I still don't think they should go as far as throwing your application in the trash though it might have hurt your chances.

I am pretty sure people who scheduled interviews thought that they actually had the authorization to schedule an interview from admissions as you would expect from any admissions portal/scheduler. This is why only you are making a big deal out of this.

Literally everyone here thinks it's stupid. You're the only one who wants to see this person burn. That's not called being ethical, it's called being a dick.
This. Never in a million years would I have had the gall to actually try to schedule an interview if the portal was available but I hadn't gotten an II email. But I was following this thread when the possibility was first being discussed, and the conversation was definitely along the lines of "I wonder if this means we're about to get II emails anyway?" and "I wonder what would happen if I signed up, would there just be error message?" etc. It was not a smart move to try it but there was absolutely no indication those involved believed that they weren't going to get IIs and that they could actually trick the admissions personnel into thinking that they'd intended to interview those applicants. Maybe it's fair for them to be rejected from AE but for AE to be so vengeful as to try to get them blacklisted via the AAMC because they got too curious for their own good about a portal glitch on AE's part is not warranted IMO.

Reactions: 13 users
How did this happen again? Did a link to schedule an interview just show up on the portal for some people?

If so, I would have assumed that an email was lost, not sent or delayed and I would have scheduled an interview to get the earliest date possible. I wouldn't have waited for the email to come and just assumed the portal was accurate. In this case people definitely should not be punished.

If people managed to pilfer the interview link from somewhere and go ahead and schedule an interview then they have every right to be upset. It is akin to submitting a secondary before you are invited. But I still don't think they should go as far as throwing your application in the trash though it might have hurt your chances.

No, it was a link that was open to the public. They did not have adequate security restrictions so a lot of people could login. Of those people who tried, a minority were able to successfully schedule.

Personally I don't think this bodes well for these peoples' admissions to Einstein, but certainly is more of an issue on the school's part imo. The security that they have in place now should have been there from the beginning. Given the reasons talked about above, I don't think this will be a huge issue to report to the AAMC, but I guess they do have the liberty to do so.

No, it was a link that was open to the public. They did not have adequate security restrictions so a lot of people could login. Of those people who tried, a minority were able to successfully schedule.

Personally I don't think this bodes well for these peoples' admissions to Einstein, but certainly is more of an issue on the school's part imo. The security that they have in place now should have been there from the beginning. Given the reasons talked about above, I don't think this will be a huge issue to report to the AAMC, but I guess they do have the liberty to do so.

If it was a distributed link that you weren't given by the school then that's pretty suspect. Still it is the school's responsibility to keep their systems secure. Given that many applicants probably have tried it I doubt they would send out mass rejections considering the competitiveness of some of the applicants as well as the amount of people that were just genuinely curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it was a distributed link that you weren't given by the school then that's pretty suspect. Still it is the school's responsibility to keep their systems secure. Given that many applicants probably have tried it I doubt they would send out mass rejections considering the competitiveness of some of the applicants as well as the amount of people that were just genuinely curious.

Totally agree. It was literally under 'application process' on the general info page of the school. If it was a link that was meant to be sent to certain applicants only, then I would understand the more lax security on there, and a system glitch could be understandable. Given it was open to the entirety of the public, it's baffling how many people were able to confirm an interview to be completely honest.

And to everyone that says these people should be blacklisted by the AAMC. Be careful not to bite your tongue with those fangs while you eat.

Reactions: 8 users
And to everyone that says these people should be blacklisted by the AAMC. Be careful not to bite your tongue with those fangs while you eat.

I am not hoping they should be blacklisted. I am saying why even try and schedule an interview date you weren't given if you weren't prepared for the possibility?

certainly is more of an issue on the school's part imo. The security that they have in place now should have been there from the beginning. Given the reasons talked about above, I don't think this will be a huge issue to report to the AAMC, but I guess they do have the liberty to do so.

They probably figured no one would even try to do it.

Reactions: 1 users

Blacklisted? I'm not religious in any way shape or form but some of you need Jesus.

Reactions: 4 users
Some people just want to watch the world burn.

I don’t really have anything to add to this otherwise entertaining series of events, I just wanted to say that.

Reactions: 5 users
Rather than having pre-meds widely speculate on how AdCom would respond to this portal scandal, wouldn't it best to ask actual med school AdComs in the general pre-MD forums?

Rather than having pre-meds widely speculate on how AdCom would respond to this portal scandal, wouldn't it best to ask actual med school AdComs in the general pre-MD forums?

or @ some of the adcoms to the situation and they can reply within this thread? only adcom i know is @Goro

edit: and @gyngyn my b

Last edited:
I'm a non-traditional candidate (over 5 years out of college) and I only had 1 science professor from my university write a letter (not in my major) and the rest were from current professors that I work with and research mentors. After I submitted my secondary they emailed me saying I needed a letter from a professor in my major for my application to be complete and reviewed. I emailed them back explaining my situation and the letters I submitted, and requested a waiver for the required major letter. They responded the next day saying my application was complete :) So I would say they are fairly strict but are open to exceptions if you communicate with them! Hope this helps.
The same happened with me, except I'm 3 years out of college and they said that wasn't long enough for an exception to be made.

Apparently anyone who completed a secondary could go to the leaked link to the interview page and login to the interview scheduler and schedule an interview, even without being invited to one. Some dude did it and later got an email from the admissions office asking how it happened and why they did it.
It wasn't anyone who completed a secondary. I checked just out of curiosity and could not access the scheduler.

Many thanks; answer in the thread below.

BTW, this isn't even close to Watergate.
Follow my thread for the latest info:
The SDN Watergate

Apparently anyone who completed a secondary could go to the leaked link to the interview page and login to the interview scheduler and schedule an interview, even without being invited to one. Some dude did it and later got an email from the admissions office asking how it happened and why they did it.

Seriously, has this ever even happened? An AMCAS-wide blacklisting?

Not sure, however, a friend of mine was using the fee waiver for the secondary fee for different schools and tried to do the same for a school that I will not name **COUGH COUGH Baylor COUGH**. Anyways he called admissions and tried to get the fee waived and was met by someone who basically told him to **** off, he then responded like the shrewd devil that he is and pissed off the person on that side of the phone. Apparently whoever was working for admissions there asked for his AMCAS number and threatened to get him blacklisted from other schools.

Not sure, however, a friend of mine was using the fee waiver for the secondary fee for different schools and tried to do the same for a school that I will not name **COUGH COUGH Baylor COUGH**. Anyways he called admissions and tried to get the fee waived and was met by someone who basically told him to **** off, he then responded like the shrewd devil that he is and pissed off the person on that side of the phone. Apparently whoever was working for admissions there asked for his AMCAS number and threatened to get him blacklisted from other schools.

Yikes. I hope he wasn't dumb enough to give it to them.

Yikes. I hope he wasn't dumb enough to give it to them.

No he wasn't, however, he emailed them earlier about the issue with his school email (contains part of his name) and was worried that they might do some research and figure it out somehow.

Apparently whoever was working for admissions there asked for his AMCAS number and threatened to get him blacklisted from other schools.

This reminds me of this time that a lady got mad at me for merging in front of her, followed me to my parking deck, and threatened to report me to all my department faculty so that I couldn't graduate. :eyebrow: Seems like a complex in people who think they have positions of power...

This reminds me of this time that a lady got mad at me for merging in front of her, followed me to my parking deck, and threatened to report me to all my department faculty so that I couldn't graduate. :eyebrow: Seems like a complex in people who think they have positions of power...

I really dont get people that defend this. Sure they are "power tripping". But what is the guy doing? An innocent bystander?

I really dont get people that defend this. Sure they are "power tripping". But what is the guy doing? An innocent bystander?
I hope you won't demonize your patients when you make it as a physician like you do with people here. You seem to have 0 faith in people. Makes me wonder why you are even in medicine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I hope you won't demonize your patients when you make it as a physician like you do with people here. You seem have 0 faith in people. Makes me wonder why you are even in medicine.

Exactly what I was thinking...

We're all humans and make mistakes at some point. How can you be a physician if you can't be empathetic towards others' mistakes and life choices? That's not saying give a free pass to people who f*** up, but don't hope that they get the worst possible punishment for what they did either.

I want to know the rest of this story. What did you say to her? Lol.

If anyone is curious about how a current student feels about the school currently, feel free to shoot me a message! Always willing to help out.

Exactly what I was thinking...

We're all humans and make mistakes at some point. How can you be a physician if you can't be empathetic towards others' mistakes and life choices? That's not saying give a free pass to people who f*** up, but don't hope that they get the worst possible punishment for what they did either.

A mistake is forgetting to call your mom on her birthday. Trying to trick a school into interviewing you doesn't fit that model, at least within my ethos.

I hope you won't demonize your patients when you make it as a physician like you do with people here. You seem to have 0 faith in people. Makes me wonder why you are even in medicine.

I dont understand how you can extrapolate this to patient care. "Demonize" is the operative word in this sentence. I am calling the action what it is. Fraud. Am I going crazy here? Does no one else see that?

Now I am not calling for the group to receive any punishment. I don't mind what happens to them. What I am frustrated with is the total lack of accountability primarily in terms of whether this action is "right" or "wrong". Ill admit I am biased. I did interview here and it frustrates me when others attempt to cheat their way through things.

Now I am not calling for the group to receive any punishment. I don't mind what happens to them. What I am frustrated with is the total lack of accountability primarily in terms of whether this action is "right" or "wrong". Ill admit I am biased. I did interview here and it frustrates me when others attempt to cheat their way through things.

From what I saw on this thread, that individual mentioned that he/she was just playing around with the system as a joke. There was no way he/she was going to show up to the interview just based on a glitch in the system. Secondly, if you've worked in medicine fraud is literally everywhere. From the physicians who smudge their work in order to get extra reimbursements under the current health care system to patients who are homeless that fabricate an injury to get a meal or even worse to get some painkiller for a temporary high. You've gotta learn how to see the good in people or give them the benefit of the doubt - especially when they aren't hurting anyone else directly.

From what I saw on this thread, that individual mentioned that he/she was just playing around with the system as a joke. There was no way he/she was going to show up to the interview just based on a glitch in the system. Secondly, if you've worked in medicine fraud is literally everywhere. From the physicians who smudge their work in order to get extra reimbursements under the current health care system to patients who are homeless that fabricate an injury to get a meal or even worse to get some painkiller for a temporary high. You've gotta learn how to see the good in people or give them the benefit of the doubt - especially when they aren't hurting anyone else directly.

The homeless man is a social problem that may compromise bedspace, but overall a relatively victimless crime based on my experience in the ED. Physicians committing fraud is also a common practice. But I fail to see why that is allowable simply because you say it should be.

Your comparison to tricking schools into interviewing an applicant to homelessness in the ED is a false equivalency fallacy in my view.

However, I am not going to comment on it further. Clearly we wont change each other's minds so lets just move on.

The homeless man is a social problem that may compromise bedspace, but overall a relatively victimless crime based on my experience in the ED. Physicians committing fraud is also a common practice. But I fail to see why that is allowable simply because you say it should be.

Your comparison to tricking schools into interviewing an applicant to homelessness in the ED is a false equivalency fallacy in my view.

However, I am not going to comment on it further. Clearly we wont change each other's minds so lets just move on.

lol nice way to have the last word there on an anonymous forum. This is a cop out, if you don't want to continue an argument, don't reply in the first place.

Lol, my point was that this was also a victimless crime. None of these people were actually going to go through and show up for their interview as evident by their posts on this forum. Hypothetically, even if they did try to abuse the system they would either A) get caught post interview while they were reviewing their file or B) somehow get an acceptance and live with that guilt for the rest of their life if they chose to attend.

I want to know the rest of this story. What did you say to her? Lol.

What was I supposed to say to her? I just sat in my car and ignored her lol. Neither of us committed traffic violations or touched each other's cars. She was just trying to scare me. I don't see how she would figure out my department in the first place. (spoiler: my department never contacted me about this)

What was I supposed to say to her? I just sat in my car and ignored her lol. Neither of us committed traffic violations or touched each other's cars. She was just trying to scare me. I don't see how she would figure out my department in the first place. (spoiler: my department never contacted me about this)
That's a good question lol. I would like to say I am too sarcastic to let something slide like that, but I would hate to lose something I worked so hard for. Smart move though.

That's a good question lol. I would like to say I am too sarcastic to let something slide like that, but I would hate to lose something I worked so hard for. Smart move though.

trust me, I really wanted to tell her off. but I'm also the type to sit there and take it from someone, and then after the fight I think about all the things I could've said :bang:

This whole schedule an interview scandal sounds like a Casper scenario.

Reactions: 24 users
This thread will go down in SDN history.

For future readers: Hello from the past, future neurotic premeds!

Reactions: 11 users
Off topic but...

I submitted my secondary late August and still have not received my “complete” email. Is it time for me to email admissions to ask the status of my app?