2017-2018 Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine (MWU-AZCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think so! I got the accepted student checklist but no call or email yet.

Ok yea, same here. Also when I clicked on the "Matriculation Information/Payment" tab, it says that the school is still processing my information so I can't pay or do anything there yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
In your portal you go onto applicant checklist and your pre-reqs and bachelors degree will come up.

9/22 interviewees check your portal! wooo!!

Just paid my matriculation deposit. But still no sign of rotation site preference. Has anyone paid theirs yet?

when are deposits due
Not due till 12/15 (at least for me), not sure if it gets pushed back a little for those who were recently accepted.
Im just 90% sure I'll attend. If I don't, well there goes 1000 bucks I guess.

Congrats to everyone who got accepted!! I’m interviewing in the coming weeks. Would you mind sharing what style of interviews they have? Any particular tough questions? If someone already responded to this question, can you please direct me? Thanks for the help!

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any other females interviewing 11/13 that would like to share a hotel room/rental car?

Can previous interviewers clarify whether a rental car is needed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone remember when rotation tracks are actually assigned? I know you can indicate preferences after paying deposit, but wondering what time frame they actually notify you of which rotations you got. Can any students comment? Thanks!

Does anyone remember when rotation tracks are actually assigned? I know you can indicate preferences after paying deposit, but wondering what time frame they actually notify you of which rotations you got. Can any students comment? Thanks!
How do you give your preference? Do you email student services?

Congrats to everyone who got accepted!! I’m interviewing in the coming weeks. Would you mind sharing what style of interviews they have? Any particular tough questions? If someone already responded to this question, can you please direct me? Thanks for the help!
It's super informal, a few presentations/tours in the morning and then one panel interview (faculty & 4th year) in the afternoon. Interview was very informal, semi-structured with the typical questions. I think it'll vary between interviewers on how in-depth they go. It's very much just to see if you're a good fit for the school, just be sociable/normal and you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Received II offer in email this morning! LizzyM = 70.4.

Last edited:
Have you received the preference email?

To those accepted, Congratulations! To those on the waitlist, don't forget to send updates (Positive Updates) and later on (Like Spring) a letter of interest/intent. Also, don't give up hope, I got off the waitlist in June.

As a side note, be sure to be kind to yourselves. Its that time of year where stress is high and applying to med school is already a coronary event and a half. Take time to enjoy your life and seek help if you need it. You are all smart and hardworking individuals!

Reactions: 6 users
Waitlisted at this school. Not from AZ, No direct DO shadowing experience, 3.9 GPA so not at all surprised. Just a shame bc i really did like this place.

Last edited:
Waitlisted at this school. Not from AZ, No direct DO shadowing experience, 3.9 GPA so not at all surprised. Just a shame bc i really did like this place.
Oh shoot now I'm worried if I'll have the same fate. I have similar stats (3.94 GPA; 510 MCAT) yet I am OOS and no direct DO shadowing as well...

To those accepted, Congratulations! To those on the waitlist, don't forget to send updates (Positive Updates) and later on (Like Spring) a letter of interest/intent. Also, don't give up hope, I got off the waitlist in June.

As a side note, be sure to be kind to yourselves. Its that time of year where stress is high and applying to med school is already a coronary event and a half. Take time to enjoy your life and seek help if you need it. You are all smart and hardworking individuals!
Where did you choose to do rotations?

Hey everyone, I'm really excited to have an interview here in the upcoming weeks! A couple questions for those who have already interviewed here:

1. Do they give you a water bottle? Is it acceptable to bring a water bottle in the room where I am being interviewed?
2. I have heard that many schools are accommodating in holding your luggage during the interview day, is AZCOM? I am heading to the airport directly after the interview and would like to bring my luggage to AZCOM with me.
3. Do they give you any paper or pens? Or should I bring my own?
4. Do any of you have any tips for upcoming interviewees? This is my first interview this cycle and I am nervous, but extremely excited because I would love to attend this school!!

Thank you all so much in advance!!
1. I don’t remember them giving you a water bottle before the interview. In the area you wait before interviews, there’s access to water with plastic cups. Lunch follows interviews, which is when you can use your meal ticket to buy a water bottle if you want. There wouldn’t be any issues if you brought a water bottle; you could leave it in the holding area during your interview.

2. Yes.

3. They give you papers at the beginning. I would recommend bringing a pen.

4. Just relax and be yourself. They give you a paper that has the interview schedule showing who has which interviewers and in what order. Half will tour the school first while the other interviews, then you switch.

Awesome, thanks for the response! One more question, on their website it states that there is a multi-person panel who will be interviewing you, however, on an SDN interview feedback comment I noticed that one student said it was a 1:1 interview. From your experience, which one is it?
It was 2 faculty in the room with you. I'm pretty sure everyone had a PhD and a physician

Awesome, thanks for the response! One more question, on their website it states that there is a multi-person panel who will be interviewing you, however, on an SDN interview feedback comment I noticed that one student said it was a 1:1 interview. From your experience, which one is it?
I had a physician and a third year student.

I think two is a lot better than three in my opinion, so I'm really happy about that.

Also, do they feed you breakfast? Or is it a good idea to eat at the hotel before you head over to AZCOM?
They have some snacks, but if your hotel has complimentary breakfast and you want to eat something substantial definitely eat at your hotel.

I think two is a lot better than three in my opinion, so I'm really happy about that.

Also, do they feed you breakfast? Or is it a good idea to eat at the hotel before you head over to AZCOM?
They have some snack type food in the waiting area. I'd eat something significant before getting there though

Just cancelled my interview for 10/16. Hope one of you guys can snag the spot!!

Any idea when they get to the pre-interview waitlist?

Also, what makes this school so great in particular? It's so expensive so is it just the DO school of last resort or is it worth the cost? I ask because I have an acceptance to BCOM and the tuition is ~20K/year cheaper so I'm trying to decide if I'd even bother interviewing if offered the option later on in the cycle.

Also, what makes this school so great in particular? It's so expensive so is it just the DO school of last resort or is it worth the cost? I ask because I have an acceptance to BCOM and the tuition is ~20K/year cheaper so I'm trying to decide if I'd even bother interviewing if offered the option later on in the cycle.
I wouldn't say it's a school of last resort because it is a good school that has been around for awhile. For me it was my top choice due to location and proximity to family. It seems they prepare students well for the boards and graduates match well

For me, the only advantage that this school has over other schools is the proximity to family. If you talk to the students, most of them like myself are California residents that couldn't get into a school in California. I have 2 of my best friends that attend this school and 1 that graduated from here so I know the ins and outs of AZCOM. In terms of pecking order, they're below schools like KCU, PCOM, DMU, RVU and their sister school CCOM. However they're way way above BCOM as they have an established reputation in and around Arizona. One of the drawbacks is the quality of rotation outside of AZ like northern California and the LA area rotations. It can be a hit or miss. It's a big class but a lot of students don't show up to the lectures as its not mandatory so if you're one of those people that hates crowded lecture halls then no need to worry about that. They have a test like almost every Monday. Also, you might like or dislike this, but they have shared class with the other professional programs in the school, it's like a health care kind of class. Also, they have a West valley/ east valley rotation sites but be weary that east valley sites are easily 25-30 miles far from the school. Pm me if you want more info.

I wouldn't say it's a school of last resort because it is a good school that has been around for awhile. For me it was my top choice due to location and proximity to family. It seems they prepare students well for the boards and graduates match well

For me, the only advantage that this school has over other schools is the proximity to family. If you talk to the students, most of them like myself are California residents that couldn't get into a school in California. I have 2 of my best friends that attend this school and 1 that graduated from here so I know the ins and outs of AZCOM. In terms of pecking order, they're below schools like KCU, PCOM, DMU, RVU and their sister school CCOM. However they're way way above BCOM as they have an established reputation in and around Arizona. One of the drawbacks is the quality of rotation outside of AZ like northern California and the LA area rotations. It can be a hit or miss. It's a big class but a lot of students don't show up to the lectures as its not mandatory so if you're one of those people that hates crowded lecture halls then no need to worry about that. They have a test like almost every Monday. Also, you might like or dislike this, but they have shared class with the other professional programs in the school, it's like a health care kind of class. Also, they have a West valley/ east valley rotation sites but be weary that east valley sites are easily 25-30 miles far from the school. Pm me if you want more info.

I guess my question at the end of the day is, location-aside, is AZCOM worth 20K/year more in your opinion? With interest, is it worth an extra 100K of debt?

I guess my question at the end of the day is, location-aside, is AZCOM worth 20K/year more in your opinion? With interest, is it worth an extra 100K of debt?

Another point to consider is total cost of attendance, including both institutionally related expenses as well as living expenses, etc. AZCOM appears to be a money pit when looking at tuition alone. However, I have found the total cost of attendance not much different from other DO schools, seemingly because other costs (such as living in the metro PHX area, etc.) are comparatively lower. At least the schools on my radar, that is.

For example, AZCOM vs TUNCOM.....

When I interviewed, I REALLY liked the school and they seemed to have lots of opportunities, didn’t strongly emphasize primary care, and advertised a pretty good curriculum (if you’re into frequent spaced tests, which I prefer over stacked tests). For me though, it was definitely the most “chill” vibe and the students seemed to know how to have fun which means a lot compared to other schools I’ve visited where the mentality is study 24/7. However, all of that aside, I don’t think the tuition justifies anything they offer but I would still consider the school because of location (CA resident).

Can’t wait to see my fellow interviewers tomorrow. Hope to see some fellow SDNers. Also the Drury hotel is a bit far from the airport but you get free breakfast/dinner/internet and they offer a shuttle for your interview if you are looking into a place to stay it seems really popular for interviewing students as well I know at least 8 others are signed up for the shuttle tomorrow morning.

Can anyone shed more light on the research opportunities provided for medical students at AZCOM? I see on their website that they offer them and list certain labs, but that's about all I can find.

Research is done in the third quarter or during the summer between M1 and M2. The research projects listed on the website aren't the only projects. There is a research day to see whats going on as well as a club to tell you about opportunities. They also email a lot of summer research opportunites at other institutions. The research is there but until you are accepted and go here you won't hear much about it.

For those of you accepted who have paid the deposit, where do we select our rotation preferences?

For those of you accepted who have paid the deposit, where do we select our rotation preferences?
I was fooled into paying the deposit with the hope of selecting rotation sites and I called and they said it will get sent out about a month after you submit the payment.

I was fooled into paying the deposit with the hope of selecting rotation sites and I called and they said it will get sent out about a month after you submit the payment.

Ahh gotcha. I did the same as you as I paid the deposit and thought I would get to pick rotation sites shortly afterwards.

Guys, I've looked through this thread and I can't seem to find the answer.

Does AZCOM send pre-interview rejections in the mail or email?
Do they send pre-interview HOLDS via mail or email?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just cancelled my Nov 14 interview, so hopefully someone can get an earlier date!

Guys, I've looked through this thread and I can't seem to find the answer.

Does AZCOM send pre-interview rejections in the mail or email?
Do they send pre-interview HOLDS via mail or email?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For those on the pre-interview waitlist, got an inside scoop and what I gathered was they will sent out interviews for us dec-march in order to fill the class. And found out about the pre-interview waitlist via email.

For those on the pre-interview waitlist, got an inside scoop and what I gathered was they will sent out interviews for us dec-march in order to fill the class. And found out about the pre-interview waitlist via email.
I was on the pre-interview waitlist and was invited for an interview in March. Placed on alternate list even though I felt very confident coming out of the interview. I was eventually accepted thanks in part to continually showing my interest in attending AZCOM without being annoying.