2017-2018 Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine (MWU-AZCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looking at the proposed academic calendar for 2019-2020, they have 2 months (May 4th - July 3rd) blocked out for required COMLEX I study time. Am I reading that right? Two months to study for USMLE/COMLEX would be fantastic!!

Academic Calendar | Midwestern University

Members don't see this ad.

Looking at the proposed academic calendar for 2019-2020, they have 2 months (May 4th - July 3rd) blocked out for required COMLEX I study time. Am I reading that right? Two months to study for USMLE/COMLEX would be fantastic!!

Academic Calendar | Midwestern University

Yea they do block off a huge amount of time.. their board scores went down two years ago and they responded by increasing study time for students. I forget the exact numbers but the result was their board scores for last year went up a lot and were amongst the highest DO scores in the country.

Just got an interview this morning!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted this morning! I interviewed 11/13. So excited!

Reactions: 1 users
did they call or was it through the portal?

I received a call which I couldn't answer since I'm at work, it was from a Phoenix number so I figured it might be them. Went online and checked my email and there it was! Not sure how long my portal's been updated... I never really check those.

Primary Submitted: 9/17
Secondary Invite: 10/10 (took a while to get my DO LOR)
Secondary Submitted: 11/21
Interview Invite (via email): 11/28 - scheduled for 1/22

MCAT: 510, GPA: 3.49, OOS

Last edited:
Yea they do block off a huge amount of time.. their board scores went down two years ago and they responded by increasing study time for students. I forget the exact numbers but the result was their board scores for last year went up a lot and were amongst the highest DO scores in the country.

Wow, good to know. I feel like with the residency merger coming up, it is reassuring that AZCOM is taking steps to help their students score high on boards.

Holy moly, check your portals! I was neurotically checking all my portals, clicked on the interview scheduling tab on the portal for kicks and giggles, and it said I was invited for an interview and gave me dates! There are still dates for next week available. I picked the end of January... I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of schools currently and AZ is really far/I'm really broke and didn't want to pay for a plane ticket for next week.

Primary submitted: 11/22
Secondary received: 11/27
Secondary submitted: 11/27
Complete email: 11/28
II found: 11/29

These people are unholy fast on the turnaround for sure.

OOS, ~3.5 cumulative c/s, ~3.8 postbacc c/s, 515.

Holy moly, check your portals! I was neurotically checking all my portals, clicked on the interview scheduling tab on the portal for kicks and giggles, and it said I was invited for an interview and gave me dates! There are still dates for next week available. I picked the end of January... I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of schools currently and AZ is really far/I'm really broke and didn't want to pay for a plane ticket for next week.

Primary submitted: 11/22
Secondary received: 11/27
Secondary submitted: 11/27
Complete email: 11/28
II found: 11/29

These people are unholy fast on the turnaround for sure.

OOS, ~3.5 cumulative c/s, ~3.8 postbacc c/s, 515.
Gratz on the interview, but why did you wait til the end of november to apply?

Gratz on the interview, but why did you wait til the end of november to apply?
Magus5454 nailed on the head; I applied MD first - I just haven't managed to get accepted at an MD program, so I added some DO programs pretty last minute.

I have nothing against DOs and DO school - both of my favorite physicians, who both wrote me LORs, are DOs - but the lower residency match rates had me hesitate to pull the trigger on submitting to many DO programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
If anything, what I've learned so far is that people are right in saying that numbers get you to the door, but ECs get you through... and I have low hours of community service. Nothing is a guarantee, for sure, even with good numbers.

Good luck to you guys. :)

My II was in early novemeber and it's been total radio silence since. Anyone in a similar position? They told me I'd hear either before t-giving or right after so I'm kind of freaked.

Reactions: 1 users
My II was in early novemeber and it's been total radio silence since. Anyone in a similar position? They told me I'd hear either before t-giving or right after so I'm kind of freaked.
Same^^ I called a couple times and my interview status has just been "interviewed"

Check portals! Accepted, interviewed 10/13!

So, if the accepted checklist is available and shows a list of required documents/transcripts then its safe to assume im accepted?

So, if the accepted checklist is available and shows a list of required documents/transcripts then its safe to assume im accepted?
Yep you are in!

really considering going here/ any idea on on campus vs. off campus housing?? also when do we pick rotation sites??

I am interviewing here this Friday. What is the interview like here? Is it a 2 person interview or 3 person interview? Stressful or relaxed? Open file or closed file?

I am interviewing here this Friday. What is the interview like here? Is it a 2 person interview or 3 person interview? Stressful or relaxed? Open file or closed file?
Very relaxed, was one 20 minute interview with a faculty and then admission personnel. Asked questions from CV and some jump off ethical questions.

Very relaxed, was one 20 minute interview with a faculty and then admission personnel. Asked questions from CV and some jump off ethical questions.
So it wasn't a 30 minute interview with 3 interviewers? Were there 2 interviews?

So it wasn't a 30 minute interview with 3 interviewers? Were there 2 interviews?
When I interviewed it was 20 minutes with two interviewers. I do not know if this was an anomaly.

Did anyone that interviewed here have a panel interview? I am trying to prepare for this interview as much as I can. Does this school do different types of interviews for different applicants?

Will be in the area tonight, for the interview tomorrow, if anyone happens to see this and wants to hang out! Best of luck to everyone

Did anyone that interviewed here have a panel interview? I am trying to prepare for this interview as much as I can. Does this school do different types of interviews for different applicants?

It is a 20 min interview with two staff, mine was with two science faculty. I think a current student on here stated that they had a 3 person panel for their interview but it seems this year everyone has had 2 people for 20 mins like I described. Was very laid back, a few ethical questions and questions about topical issues in healthcare.

What’s the earliest after an interview have applicants in the past gotten acceptances from AZCOM?

Interviewed 12/05, just checked and I see the accepted checklist!!

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed 12/05, just checked and I see the accepted checklist!!
emoji322.png

I interviewed same date, nothing here yet! btw I love your avatar

Hey all, quick question about a letter of intent to AZCOM. I know its a good idea to mention you have acceptances to other schools, but should I list the schools too or just say I have other acceptances as a general statement?

Hey all, quick question about a letter of intent to AZCOM. I know its a good idea to mention you have acceptances to other schools, but should I list the schools too or just say I have other acceptances as a general statement?

It should be sufficient to state you have other acceptances and that you would decline them should the adcom you're addressing in the letter choose to admit you.

I interviewed the same day and also cannot see the checklist. Hoping for good news!
I looked back at previous posts and some people found out 2 days after people in their same interview group found out. So no worrying for us yet!

Just received an II, my first one! Just have to pick a date!

Reactions: 3 users

Do you have to send in a letter on intent? I just figured the $1000 deposit was enough. If its not mandatory, I'd avoid it all together.

Do you have to send in a letter on intent? I just figured the $1000 deposit was enough. If its not mandatory, I'd avoid it all together.
Not if you're accepted. I was placed on the alternate list so that's why I'm writing a LOI to express my continued interest.