2017-2018 Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine (MWU-AZCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just got hit with the nice 2am II-on hold email :alien: completed 12/6

Members don't see this ad :)
A couple questions for current AZCOM students if you don't mind taking a moment:

1. I understand that AZCOM is known for having close to 100 exams over the course of the year. What does this mean about the frequency of exams per week? 2/week? 3/week?

2. Do you think this is a solid curriculum because it forces you to stay on top of the material in order to do well on each exam or is it more of an inconvenience?

3. Does the frequency of exams lead to burn out in some students? I would imagine that having so many exams would really bog down students, but maybe not?

4. How large are the exams? 50 questions? 100 questions? (just trying to get a feel for how much Ill need to cram in for each exam when I'll probably have like 3 per week)

Thanks in advance for your time, I really appreciate it!

-Pickle Rick

Reactions: 1 user
My 'Accepted Student Checklist' has bunch of things in there now!! Does this mean I am accepted??????

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted!! Interviewed 12/4/17. I see the Accepted Student Checklist! I called the admission to made sure!

Members don't see this ad :)
Will be withdrawing today, good luck to everyone

Those of you who got accepted, my accepted student checklist shows matriculation agreement, etc but there's no deposit option/form. Is that normal?

What made you withdraw this acceptance if you don't mind me asking? Did you choose another school? If so, can you disclose which?

The only thing that I didn't like about AZCOM was the cost. I got a great feel from TCOM, and I liked the campus and the research opportunities.

Those of you who got accepted, my accepted student checklist shows matriculation agreement, etc but there's no deposit option/form. Is that normal?

I only see accepted student checklist but it says check back tomorrow for matriculation agreement. I am guessing different accepted students are just in different stages, but you can always call them to double-check.

Did you check the portal or got an email?
They update your portal first, usually in the morning, and call that afternoon. You get an email when everything is processed and you can officially accept the offer and pay the deposit (within 24hrs, depends how busy admissions is that day).

I was accepted on Dec 15 (portal updated) and I was expecting to be given 30 days to pay my deposit. However, it is showing due date for deposit to be Jan 31st - is that what others are seeing? Maybe cuz of the holidays they are giving more time? Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a glitch or an error.

I was accepted on Dec 15 (portal updated) and I was expecting to be given 30 days to pay my deposit. However, it is showing due date for deposit to be Jan 31st - is that what others are seeing? Maybe cuz of the holidays they are giving more time? Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a glitch or an error.
Same here

They're giving you more time due to the holiday season.

A couple questions for current AZCOM students if you don't mind taking a moment:

1. I understand that AZCOM is known for having close to 100 exams over the course of the year. What does this mean about the frequency of exams per week? 2/week? 3/week?

2. Do you think this is a solid curriculum because it forces you to stay on top of the material in order to do well on each exam or is it more of an inconvenience?

3. Does the frequency of exams lead to burn out in some students? I would imagine that having so many exams would really bog down students, but maybe not?

4. How large are the exams? 50 questions? 100 questions? (just trying to get a feel for how much Ill need to cram in for each exam when I'll probably have like 3 per week)

Thanks in advance for your time, I really appreciate it!

-Pickle Rick

I'm a current 1st year student and thought I'd answer some questions I've seen posted here. We do have weekly exams most of the time, with about 20-50 questions per exam. Sometimes 2-3 exams in the week week after a holiday break but it's not unmanageable at all. Being tested frequently personally forces me to keep up with the material. And as far as first year goes, I find that I do have quite a bit of time to do other things besides studying and I've managed to get all As thus far. For example, this was my rough schedule from two weeks ago:
-M-F classes, workshops, on campus study time from 8-5 (I go to all the lectures).
-an exam in Anatomy and OMM
-went out with friends 2 nights, spent the morning hiking on Sunday
-volunteered for 5 hours

My only real complaint with the school is it's lack of clinical experience for first years. We don't see patient's ever first year unless you volunteer with one of the student run clinics and it's such a big class (around 250 people) that you can only do that once a quarter. Next quarter, I plan on shadowing some docs to make up for the lack of clinical exposure. Oh, and the hefty tuition is another con. No school is worth that much. All in all, it's a good school and you'll get a good education if you come here. Lots of research opportunities and a welcoming student body. We've got a lot of students from California and Chicago who seem to also like the opportunity to do their 3rd and 4th year rotations in LA, San Diego, Chicago etc. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Reactions: 2 users
I was accepted from a November interview. I loved the campus and the school and would love to go here, but I have serious concerns about tuition. The financial aid fact sheet handout they give at interviews says "Historically, tuition and other fees have increased between 4% and 7% annually". This would mean that by the time the c/o 2022 graduates, tuition could be upwards of 75k/year.

I would like to believe that MWU would avoid this insane trend because it would scare away applicants, but their dental program's tuition is ~75,000/year as well. Can any current students speak to this? Will tuition keep rising?

II last week from hold list, good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Helloooo :) I was on hold in october and hoping to hear back from this school! when were you put on hold?
I was put on hold less than a week after submitting my application, which was back in late July!

I'll be giving up my interview here, best of luck guys! (1/23)

too late to apply with a 501 3.6? DO I even have a chance?

Hello all,

Congrats to all those who were accepted. I am currently an OMSI here at AZCOM. If anyone have any questions, feel free to reach out. If it's not sensitive information, please post on this forum for the benefit of all your colleagues.

I am also on winter "break" at the moment so I will try to respond back ASAP.

Thanks for doing this!

1. How collegial are the students? Does the grading scheme make it more competitive than a P/F scale?

2. What is the consensus about the exam schedule among AZCOM students?

3. How is OMM graded?

Hello all,

Congrats to all those who were accepted. I am currently an OMSI here at AZCOM. If anyone have any questions, feel free to reach out. If it's not sensitive information, please post on this forum for the benefit of all your colleagues.

I have tuition concerns. As it stands, the 64k tuition is a lot but bearable given the great rep of the school, beautiful campus, and amazing facilities. But the tuition is subject to increasing 4%-7% per year, potentially raising it to 75k/year in the next few years. I really liked this school but I'm fearful the tuition could be close to 80k/year by the the time we graduate. I guess what I'm asking is:

- Do you feel that your educational experience at AZCOM justifies this tuition and the subsequent increases?
- Do the current students expect their tuition to continue to rise?

Thanks for doing this!

1. How collegial are the students? Does the grading scheme make it more competitive than a P/F scale?

2. What is the consensus about the exam schedule among AZCOM students?

3. How is OMM graded?

1) Sounds really weird but class dynamics really differs from year-to-year. The class of 2020 had gunner mentality while the class of 2021 is more or less mellow by comparison. The grading scheme really depends on one's own perspective. There are colleagues in my class who doesnt give much thought to an A/B/C while there are others who strive to get that 4.0. Overall, yes I do believe it makes classes a lot more competitive. Again its really just a mentality issue as the grading scale is arbitrary. Meaning, at the end, we all get a class rank whether you are on an A/B/C or P/F

2) Pretty stressful and my personal $0.02 is that I dont mind it most of the time except for our "breaks." The only true breaks we have are quarter changes and summer. Other breaks are just extra time to study. The first 7 days of coming back from this winter break we will have 4 Exams, 1 Project, 1 Write-up due.

3) Like any other class at AZCOM: A/B/C

I have tuition concerns. As it stands, the 64k tuition is a lot but bearable given the great rep of the school, beautiful campus, and amazing facilities. But the tuition is subject to increasing 4%-7% per year, potentially raising it to 75k/year in the next few years. I really liked this school but I'm fearful the tuition could be close to 80k/year by the the time we graduate. I guess what I'm asking is:

- Do you feel that your educational experience at AZCOM justifies this tuition and the subsequent increases?
- Do the current students expect their tuition to continue to rise?

Honestly, it's personal preference. I had the option of LECOM or AZCOM. Youll more or less get a great education wherever you go, but I chose AZCOM cause of location and school environment. My mental health comes first when it comes to studying and living in a giant square building with no sun will pretty much throw me into SAD which I aint got that for that.

Yes, tuition will always rise by a couple % each year. Just part of the game.

Alternate list :( Super bummed out! Felt so good about the interview. My interviewer literally said to me "So are you going to come here? We would love to have you." as he was walking me out to the waiting room after my interview. Same interviewer replied to my thank you email this morning saying "I really hope you decide to come here. You did a fantastic job interviewing" !!! I mean am I wrong to feel pretty good after that?!? I feel like those aren't things you say just to be nice!

I called the admissions office after I got his email and found out I was waitlisted. WHYYYYY! This process is so brutal y'all :bigtears:

@PNWDoctor,

Multiple students who spoke to us on my interview day mentioned they were initially wait-listed and eventually got in. They recommended if you are wait-listed to stay in touch with admissions and let them know of your continued interest in attending. Best of luck!

Alternate list :( Super bummed out! Felt so good about the interview. My interviewer literally said to me "So are you going to come here? We would love to have you." as he was walking me out to the waiting room after my interview. Same interviewer replied to my thank you email this morning saying "I really hope you decide to come here. You did a fantastic job interviewing" !!! I mean am I wrong to feel pretty good after that?!? I feel like those aren't things you say just to be nice!

I called the admissions office after I got his email and found out I was waitlisted. WHYYYYY! This process is so brutal y'all :bigtears:

Waitlist and rejections suck. I got two post interview in state rejections and then got accepted to one of my top choices. You have an acceptance and an interview at your dream school. Knock it out of the park!

This place has a TON of waitlist movement. I have a friend at AZCOM and he told me that if I got waitlisted to not sweat it because I would probably be accepted within a few months.

Has anyone who has recently been accepted not received the rotation preference email yet?

Anyone from December 8th interview get their answer yet? They told us to call them on the 21st if we don't get our answer by then. Or did they say to expect the answer on the 21st? Getting really anxious here.

is there an accepted FB group

I was just wondering if anyone had some advice on how best to prepare for this interview. I just want to be as prepared as possible going in!

I was just wondering if anyone had some advice on how best to prepare for this interview. I just want to be as prepared as possible going in!
They can throw in some curveball abstract thinking questions that I prepared for using the SDN interview page for the school, which I found pretty helpful. Other than that, know the standard “why medicine, why DO, why AZCOM” etc.

Anyone from December 8th interview get their answer yet? They told us to call them on the 21st if we don't get our answer by then. Or did they say to expect the answer on the 21st? Getting really anxious here.
I would definitely call today. I doubt many people are going to be working tomorrow in admissions, as it's their break and almost holiday. Best of luck.

Called them recently to find out that I have been placed in the alternate list. Was really hoping for an acceptance from here. How much movement is there on the waitlist?

Hello all,

Hello!! how did you go about picking rotations for 3rd and 4th year? I want to do my rotations in chicago but i also want to pick the city that's best for a variety of options, specifically EM and peds (the two fields i'm interested in).

can you comment on rotations in chicago? are they good/how do they compare to east and west valley?