2017-2018 Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine (MWU-AZCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any new IIs? I finally got marked complete but they have been silent for the past week.

Members don't see this ad.

Any new IIs? I finally got marked complete but they have been silent for the past week.
They have orientation for the incoming class this week so I would assume they'll resume after they get the class of 2021 off and running.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey member of the incoming class just finishing orientation. I was bored and wanted to let you guys know some tips from my interview and what the school is proud of based on orientation (to include in secondary and mention during interview)

Post interview acceptance is high. I interviewed in March and got accepted as did a lot of my interview group. The interview itself is fairly relaxed. You will interview with 3 people, one of which is a 3rd/4th year. The interviewers really try to make you comfortable. The first question will be "Why osteopathic medicine?" and common interview questions are listed on AZCOM SDN interview page. All they will have is the resume you send with your secondary in the interview. If you are confident, calm, and speak intelligently you should rock this interview.

As for why osteopathic medicine, don't just say "Its holistic" or tell the story of AT Still. I gave that answer and was followed up with "Well explain how MD aren't holistic and how are DOs different". Having a good understanding of what a DO is will help out a lot.

Know what One Health is. It's the cross specialty philosophy (Human/Animal/Environmental Health). Its one of the things that attracted me to the school and my interviewer was happy I knew about it. There is a course you take with students from different programs in you pre clinical years, so the school has a focus on cross specialty teamwork (Look up the HOME clinic)

AZCOM is starting to heavily integrate ultrasound into its curriculum. During orientation, a big part was about how the student government worked with the deans to integrate this into the curriculum and everyone seems excited about it. Ultrasound is becoming the new stethoscope.

The school really puts a lot of effort into your success. We spent a large part of today taking assessments to help identify weaknesses in our study habits. They also have an open door policy you will hear a lot about on interview day. The school also has an insane amount of resources on campus to ensure your success (review sessions, academic counseling, communication counseling, etc.) There is also the HOME clinic which gives you early clinical exposure. Seriously, AZCOM has pretty much any resource you will need to succeed.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Like I said I'm just starting but later on in the year I can probably give more info.

Reactions: 16 users
Hey member of the incoming class just finishing orientation. I was bored and wanted to let you guys know some tips from my interview and what the school is proud of based on orientation (to include in secondary and mention during interview)

Post interview acceptance is high. I interviewed in March and got accepted as did a lot of my interview group. The interview itself is fairly relaxed. You will interview with 3 people, one of which is a 3rd/4th year. The interviewers really try to make you comfortable. The first question will be "Why osteopathic medicine?" and common interview questions are listed on AZCOM SDN interview page. All they will have is the resume you send with your secondary in the interview. If you are confident, calm, and speak intelligently you should rock this interview.

As for why osteopathic medicine, don't just say "Its holistic" or tell the story of AT Still. I gave that answer and was followed up with "Well explain how MD aren't holistic and how are DOs different". Having a good understanding of what a DO is will help out a lot.

Know what One Health is. It's the cross specialty philosophy (Human/Animal/Environmental Health). Its one of the things that attracted me to the school and my interviewer was happy I knew about it. There is a course you take with students from different programs in you pre clinical years, so the school has a focus on cross specialty teamwork (Look up the HOME clinic)

AZCOM is starting to heavily integrate ultrasound into its curriculum. During orientation, a big part was about how the student government worked with the deans to integrate this into the curriculum and everyone seems excited about it. Ultrasound is becoming the new stethoscope.

The school really puts a lot of effort into your success. We spent a large part of today taking assessments to help identify weaknesses in our study habits. They also have an open door policy you will hear a lot about on interview day. The school also has an insane amount of resources on campus to ensure your success (review sessions, academic counseling, communication counseling, etc.) There is also the HOME clinic which gives you early clinical exposure. Seriously, AZCOM has pretty much any resource you will need to succeed.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Like I said I'm just starting but later on in the year I can probably give more info.
This is just golden right here! I have an interview end of august and was glad to see this.

Question, I have heard the interview can be more intense than others. Have you hear of anyone in your class whose interview was more on the intense side?

Submitted my secondary today. My MCAT and GPA is lower than most everyone I have seen posting here so I'm not sure what in particular made them think I deserved the secondary. I am non-traditional 5 years military medicine 3 years ER tech. Crossed fingers!

Submitted my secondary today. My MCAT and GPA is lower than most everyone I have seen posting here so I'm not sure what in particular made them think I deserved the secondary. I am non-traditional 5 years military medicine 3 years ER tech. Crossed fingers!

Fellow veteran! Nice. I was AF for 6 years intelligence (linguist). Good luck this cycle!

Fellow vet and ER tech here as well. Army combat medic for 6 years.

Reactions: 1 users
This is just golden right here! I have an interview end of august and was glad to see this.

Question, I have heard the interview can be more intense than others. Have you hear of anyone in your class whose interview was more on the intense side?
It could be a matter of perception. Everyone I've talked to said it was a lower stress interview. Thats not to say you should kick your feet up and take it easy, but the interviewers aren't going to grill you or try to trip you up. Know your resume and application, and you should be fine.

How do you feel about the tuition? Are there any scholarships to offset it?

I LOVE this school, but when I think about an extra $100k to go there over other schools I feel a bit uneasy. What about the school justifies the high tuition for you?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile

How do you feel about the tuition? Are there any scholarships to offset it?

I LOVE this school, but when I think about an extra $100k to go there over other schools I feel a bit uneasy. What about the school justifies the high tuition for you?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile

Well tbh, I didn't have much of a choice since I was only accepted to AZCOM. If the cost is too much I wouldn't blame you for picking another school. That said, I do feel they put a lot of the money back into the school. The rotation locations a very good, there are great match rates, and the school gives you board prep materials (Finding out more about that later this week). I should also mention that living in Glendale is pretty cheap so you at least save money there. There are scholarships but none for first years. (Unless you do military)

Once again though I do agree with the tuition is pretty steep. It's really up to you to decide if its worth it. Personally, I don't mind living below my means for a few year to help pay off the debt. My main goal is to become a doctor and I feel like AZCOM will help me become a really good one. Plus, quite a few 4th years I chatted with are doing away rotations at big name schools and the match last year was pretty good.

Complete since July 3rd and dead silence. Not even an Interview Hold. Can't imagine this is good news but then again no news is better than a Rejection!

Complete since July 3rd and dead silence. Not even an Interview Hold. Can't imagine this is good news but then again no news is better than a Rejection!

Same here!

Members don't see this ad :)
Complete since June 22 and still nothing...

I'm curious if they're one of the schools that don't send rejection notifications. I'm in the same boat as you guys

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm curious if they're one of the schools that don't send rejection notifications. I'm in the same boat as you guys

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Doubt it. They have yet to give out any new II in the last few weeks now. Someone said they are working through orientation right now. It's still too early to take silence as a rejection.

Reactions: 1 users
They send out pre interview waitlist emails at the same time as interview invites. I doubt they do silent rejections. Hopefully they send out another round of IIs this week

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using SDN mobile

I certainly hope they don't but I have heard that some do.

I want to say that I saw on this thread earlier that AZCOM is rejecting people via email post secondary.

I've only seen pre-interview waitlist emails.

According to this and past threads, my stats should at least get me a pre-interview waitlist and I have heard nothing from them since early July. 3.7cGPA, 3.8 sGPA, 4.0grad, 502 MCAT, 500 hrs fam medicine, 8000 legal (non-trad)

According to this and past threads, my stats should at least get me a pre-interview waitlist and I have heard nothing from them since early July. 3.7cGPA, 3.8 sGPA, 4.0grad, 502 MCAT, 500 hrs fam medicine, 8000 legal (non-trad)
Maybe your high GPA will keep you off. Luckily for me, AZCOM will do grade replacement since I have above a 3.0 and a 507. It will get me to about a 3.65 GPA for both cumulative and science.

Maybe your high GPA will keep you off. Luckily for me, AZCOM will do grade replacement since I have above a 3.0 and a 507. It will get me to about a 3.65 GPA for both cumulative and science.

Ill trade you a gpa for an MCAT;)

Hey I just got an email from them saying my file is incomplete. I turned in my supplemental app less than two weeks ago. Online portal says that my LORs are missing, but with it being peak app season I'm not surprised it's taking so long. Don't letters get automatically updated from aacomas, or does AZCOM have different rules for receiving them? I'd rather not call admissions since I imagine they're crazy busy

Hey I just got an email from them saying my file is incomplete. I turned in my supplemental app less than two weeks ago. Online portal says that my LORs are missing, but with it being peak app season I'm not surprised it's taking so long. Don't letters get automatically updated from aacomas, or does AZCOM have different rules for receiving them? I'd rather not call admissions since I imagine they're crazy busy
Letters get automatically uploaded.

MAKE SURE YOU RELEASE YOUR LETTER FROM AMCAS TO AACOMAS (if that's where you submitted your letters). I forgot to do that for a week or so.

Also, if anyone else is interviewing 8/29 and wants to reach out send me a message!

II!!!!!!!!!!! LET'S GOOOOO!!!

Reactions: 4 users
II!!!!! Also on portal no email!

Reactions: 2 users
II in the portal with no email!! Complete July 15th!

Pre interview wait list 3.7/505 OOS

Anyone else been ghosted from this school? I have gotten no updates from this school since I was complete. I am 3.7cGPA, 3.8sGPA, 4.0 graduate GPA 502 MCAT

haha you have only been complete for a few days, so you dont count :p

I have been complete since 07/01 and I have not heard anything either. I'm just going to go with no news is good news since they give pre-II waitlist.
Yea I'm in the exact same spot. Complete since early July.

haha you have only been complete for a few days, so you dont count :p

I have been complete since 07/01 and I have not heard anything either. I'm just going to go with no news is good news since they give pre-II waitlist.
Well funny enough I got an email from them this morning. The email essentially said that my application is on hold though as I put down that I was retaking my MCAT.

Hi all,

I know this is kinda early, but just wanted yall to know that Im an OMS1. We started this past Monday. If anyone has any questions/concerns/comments about school, interview, or whatnot, feel free to message me.

My responses might be a little delayed.

Pre-interview waitlisted through email :(. OOS. 3.35 cGPA, 3.30 sGPA, 506 MCAT. Submitted Secondary in July 15.

Pre-interview Waitlist email today. That's tough... At least not completely out yet.