2017-2018 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! What were ur stats if you don't mind me asking??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you!! cGPA: 3.95 MCAT: 498 I also have a lot of clinical experience both volunteering and working as a medical scribe full time. Best of luck to everyone applying!
I interviewed the same day as you! I was wearing the light blue skirt suit! so happy for you, hopefully I will get a call.... fingers crossed

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed the same day as you! I was wearing the light blue skirt suit! so happy for you, hopefully I will get a call.... fingers crossed
Ok yes, I remember you! I was in the grey pant suit and purple blouse. Good luck, and I hope you hear back soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!! cGPA: 3.95 MCAT: 498 I also have a lot of clinical experience both volunteering and working as a medical scribe full time. Best of luck to everyone applying!
Congrats on you acceptance!!

If you don't mind me asking, what is your state of residence? Are you from the region?

Acceptance today! Interviewed on 9/8, too! Good Luck and Congratulations to everyone else.

Reactions: 2 users
For those who have been accepted- has anyone accepted the school's offer? If so, what have you done to secure your spot (what are the steps)? I was accepted back in August (via phone and email) and still have not received the official letter in mail. I know the Admissions team is busy with interviews and new acceptances at the moment so I don't want to continuously annoy them with reminder emails about not getting the official letter in the mail yet.

For those who have been accepted- has anyone accepted the school's offer? If so, what have you done to secure your spot (what are the steps)? I was accepted back in August (via phone and email) and still have not received the official letter in mail. I know the Admissions team is busy with interviews and new acceptances at the moment so I don't want to continuously annoy them with reminder emails about not getting the official letter in the mail yet.
Not sure if this applies here too, but I was accepted to other schools in August and they told me they can't officially send letters until October 1st..?

Not sure if this applies here too, but I was accepted to other schools in August and they told me they can't officially send letters until October 1st..?

Perhaps :( but apparently on SDN people, who interviewed around the same time at this school received their official letters already. I reached out to the admissions committee twice already and I think if I did it a third time, they might get annoyed. Perhaps I should continue to wait and when the time comes, they will send further instructions. Really loved this school!

Congrats!!! I'm so nervous now.. what time did you guys get the call? early morning?
Some friends of mine told me to expect a call in the morning around 9-10, but I was called at 3. It really depends on when they want to do it :)

Perhaps :( but apparently on SDN people, who interviewed around the same time at this school received their official letters already. I reached out to the admissions committee twice already and I think if I did it a third time, they might get annoyed. Perhaps I should continue to wait and when the time comes, they will send further instructions. Really loved this school!
It never hurts to be assertive in my eyes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have a list to possible interview questions?

Accepted!! Awesome feeling. Good luck to everyone still in the running!!

Reactions: 4 users
It's there. Search harder.

But for now:
I got an interview invite from UIWSOM on 8/12 (scheduled for 9/22, but since then I have cancelled).

I submitted my primary in May and submitted my secondary in late June. Not a TX resident but am from Southern United States.

1. Yes, my 8/15 group did.
2. Only the sim labs; 10/10
3. Didn't tour, but I have an OMS-1 friend that lives in them, and I actually crashed at his place the night before the interview. They are very nice.
4. For us, they were able to talk briefly before their OMM lab near the conclusion of the day.
5. I dunno. I am a guy.

Some additional info:
For their inaugural class, they interviewed about 500. I'm not sure how many they accepted, but it was obviously not enough because they went through their entire wait-list, and they even pulled some people back that they previously flat-out rejected.

For this year, no stats are available, but I'm guessing around 800 completed interviews with about 300 offers. Usually new schools have numbers around this. I would assume ARCOM is no different.

writing prompt during the interview day? As in you had to write an essay?

writing prompt during the interview day? As in you had to write an essay?

Yes, there was a writing prompt for my group at least. It's not an essay, they literally give you like 10 mins. It's more like a long paragraph.

got the call today , interviewed on 9/12. First acceptance, I'm really excited! hang in there guys!

I actually talked to them about the rest of the acceptance process today. They are working on it this week and should have the emails out this week or next that will have the further instructions. They are manually putting everyone into the main system so that when you get your email you can log into the portal and pay your deposit electronically, plus have access to all the other requirements you need to complete.

I do know though that after acceptance you have to send them all official transcripts, have a set of shots and titers done (though this will probably be next year), plus background check and drug screen (also to be done closer to the start of the school year)

Hope that helps. Mandy did say those emails should be going out this week.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to ask if you all think it's too late in the cycle to apply to this school? My stats aren't the best MCAT 499 and sGPA:3.6, tons of medical experience via mission trips and scribing.

Wanted to get an opinion before applying!

Thank you!

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to ask if you all think it's too late in the cycle to apply to this school? My stats aren't the best MCAT 499 and sGPA:3.6, tons of medical experience via mission trips and scribing.

Wanted to get an opinion before applying!

Thank you!
I think you should apply! Based on your experience you might have a great chance!

I actually talked to them about the rest of the acceptance process today. They are working on it this week and should have the emails out this week or next that will have the further instructions. They are manually putting everyone into the main system so that when you get your email you can log into the portal and pay your deposit electronically, plus have access to all the other requirements you need to complete.

I do know though that after acceptance you have to send them all official transcripts, have a set of shots and titers done (though this will probably be next year), plus background check and drug screen (also to be done closer to the start of the school year)

Hope that helps. Mandy did say those emails should be going out this week.

That helps out a lot! Thank you sooo much! It also puts me at ease.

interviewed 9/1 no word yet.... do they do silent rejections?
They will send you a physical letter that would either say: accepted, waitlisted, or rejected. Of course, the ones who got accepted will get a call and an email.

At this point if I haven't heard back and interviewed on the 8th, is it safe to assume a waitlist/rejection letter coming my way?

At this point if I haven't heard back and interviewed on the 8th, is it safe to assume a waitlist/rejection letter coming my way?

Not at all. They said give them up to 2 weeks :) Since you interviewed on the 8th, 2 weeks from the 8th will be Sep 22nd.
In fact, according to older threads it seems that even though people were on the waitlist they were pulled off of it toward the end.
Either way, expect good things!

Also make sure to listen to your voicemail regularly. Since I was at work when they called, my phone had bad reception. I didn't even get a missed call notice. But when I was casually going though my voicemessages, that's how I found out.

Can anyone tell me what interview questions they ask? I have an upcoming interview and feel like I have to at least mentally prepare myself. Thanks and good luck to everyone this cycle!

Can anyone tell me what interview questions they ask? I have an upcoming interview and feel like I have to at least mentally prepare myself. Thanks and good luck to everyone this cycle!
I was asked:
1. Tell me about yourself
2. Why osteopathic medicine
3. Tell me about a moment where you were a leader
4. Ethical questions
It was a very conversational interview and very relaxed, so don't worry at all. Just know why you want to be an osteopathic physician and you will be fine

I was asked:
1. Tell me about yourself
2. Why osteopathic medicine
3. Tell me about a moment where you were a leader
4. Ethical questions
It was a very conversational interview and very relaxed, so don't worry at all. Just know why you want to be an osteopathic physician and you will be fine
For anyone interviewing here, there is no point in preparing specific answers for questions that were asked in previous interviews. Everyone interviews with someone different. Both of my interviewers had a long sheet full of questions and they seemed to glance over the list before asking each question as if they were trying to ask questions to go with the flow of the interview. None of the questions I was asked were very specific so as long as you know your application and can talk about your experiences, you will do just fine. Make sure to know why you are going into medicine, why primary care, why Arkansas and why DO.

Reactions: 5 users
What were your stats? I have a feeling mine is in the mail as we speak!
sGPA 3.39 GPA 3.20 Mcat 506 exceptional shadowing / clinical experience, 1 publication. Currently in a medical masters program at East Virginia Medical School. I think they are waiting to see 1st semester grades.

Anyone have an II tomorrow 9/22? I am heading out to arkansas tonight, if anyone wants to meet up for food/drink feel free to PM me!

My original post was not meant for this thread...I was already accepted here! Good luck to you!

Anyone have an II tomorrow 9/22? I am heading out to arkansas tonight, if anyone wants to meet up for food/drink feel free to PM me!

Good luck, let us know how it was!! I have mine one week from tomorrow!

Super low stress. They have a member of the fort smith community in the interview room while you are interviewing. Its just a conversation they dont try and trip you up at all. Probably the least stressful med school interview ive had.

Just arrived in Fort Smith and to my AirBNB. Open house is tomorrow! I made it town before the sun set. A fellow applicant and I stopped and took pictures at the vibrant murals around. The vibe in the town is awesome. So far so good!

Just arrived in Fort Smith and to my AirBNB. Open house is tomorrow! I made it town before the sun set. A fellow applicant and I stopped and took pictures at the vibrant murals around. The vibe in the town is awesome. So far so good!
I loved it i was just there today! Enjoy!

I should throw myself in this mix as I will be apart of this class. I was accepted last year, but had to defer for medical reasons. Will be happy to meet you all next year!

Reactions: 8 users