2017-2018 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
waitlist movement anyone?
It’s just my opinion but I’d image they are probably trying to organize themselves right now. See how many people dropped for md school see how many spots they have who they want to take first, etc. I know last year they had movement at end of March but I personally think it’ll be later this year as they have other things going on as well.

Reactions: 1 users
And considering Easter falls on April 1st this year, I'm sure that will play a role in when they start having some movement. Last year they had no classes going on and interview season ended in February so they had an entire month of no interviews before major movement started to happen. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see movement until the 2nd or 3rd week of April, but I hope I'm completely wrong!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was told this weekend by a current student that all the spots are filled for the class of 2022. Interviews for next week are for the waitlist only and they are expecting very little movement off the waitlist (maybe only the top 5-10 people).

I was told this weekend by a current student that all the spots are filled for the class of 2022. Interviews for next week are for the waitlist only and they are expecting very little movement off the waitlist (maybe only the top 5-10 people).
I'm thinking the current student is mistaken about there still being more interviews. Disappointed to hear about the class already being full and there being very little waitlist movement though.
Today, Friday 03/16 was the last day of interviews for ARCOM this cycle. The school representatives said it themselves in the group portion of the interview.

So unfortunately schools are required hold interviews through the date that they report to AACOMAS at the beginning of the interview season. So even though they really don't have any more spots available they have to continue interviewing until that date. Unless some students decide to attend another school last minute, there will be very little waitlist movement since everyone needed to fill the class have already committed. I understand how disappointed this makes some people, but I figured I would let y'all know so you can commit to other school or start preparing for the next application cycle.

I'm thinking the current student is mistaken about there still being more interviews. Disappointed to hear about the class already being full and there being very little waitlist movement though.
I would talk to the admissions office if you had any questions or concerns about the class being full and potential waitlist movement. I find them to be helpful and the information they give tends to be much different than what I hear from current students. Don’t get down about the process. Students will leave. Many students will get off the waitlist. They have to pay their deposits to save their spot. I paid a deposit at another school but I’ll come here if I get accepted and I’ll just lose the money at the other school. Everyone knows how these things work. Just because someone heard from someone else that they heard from someone else doesn’t mean by the time it makes it to this website that it’s necessarily true. The truth can get stretched and misinterpreted by the time we hear about it. And even if what Emily said is completely accurate, it’s simply an estimate and those can even change drastically. So keep your hopes up. It’s a long process. School starts at the end of July. Obviously be prepared in case you don’t get accepted, but don’t give up. Unusual and unexpected things always happen in this process!

Reactions: 3 users
The spots might be filled but students are going to start dropping when the second deposit is due. Last year, ARCOM went through their entire waitlist so I doubt that only 5-10 people will be accepted off the waitlist. This is a second year DO school in the Midwest, they are going to have many many students drop for MD/established DO schools.

The spots might be filled but students are going to start dropping when the second deposit is due. Last year, ARCOM went through their entire waitlist so I doubt that only 5-10 people will be accepted off the waitlist. This is a second year DO school in the Midwest, they are going to have many many students drop for MD/established DO schools.
Well I really hope I'm wrong. But then again last year they went through their waitlist because they hadn't filled the class by the time interviews were over. That's not the case this year. There will be some people that decide to go elsewhere and free up a few spots, but I wouldn't expect tons of movement.

Unless they got smart in the way they accept students this year to maximize yield.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Well I really hope I'm wrong. But then again last year they went through their waitlist because they hadn't filled the class by the time interviews were over. That's not the case this year. There will be some people that decide to go elsewhere and free up a few spots, but I wouldn't expect tons of movement.
At my LECOM interview, they said they accept about half off the waitlist. Last year their waitlist had 150 applicants on it. LECOM is certainly more established than ARCOM in a better area with cheaper tuition so I doubt ARCOM will accept less off their waitlist than LECOM. It’s nothing against ARCOM, they left a really great impression and they have the best staff I’ve seen this cycle, but 5-10 off the waitlist is something you see at a top 20 MD, not a new DO school.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my LECOM interview, they said they accept about half off the waitlist. Last year their waitlist had 150 applicants on it. LECOM is certainly more established than ARCOM in a better area with cheaper tuition so I doubt ARCOM will accept less off their waitlist than LECOM. It’s nothing against ARCOM, they left a really great impression and they have the best staff I’ve seen this cycle, but 5-10 off the waitlist is something you see at a top 20 MD, not a new DO school.

Well I guess everyone can believe whatever they want. All I'm doing is passing along relevant information that was given to me.

I would talk to the admissions office if you had any questions or concerns about the class being full and potential waitlist movement. I find them to be helpful and the information they give tends to be much different than what I hear from current students. Don’t get down about the process. Students will leave. Many students will get off the waitlist. They have to pay their deposits to save their spot. I paid a deposit at another school but I’ll come here if I get accepted and I’ll just lose the money at the other school. Everyone knows how these things work. Just because someone heard from someone else that they heard from someone else doesn’t mean by the time it makes it to this website that it’s necessarily true. The truth can get stretched and misinterpreted by the time we hear about it. And even if what Emily said is completely accurate, it’s simply an estimate and those can even change drastically. So keep your hopes up. It’s a long process. School starts at the end of July. Obviously be prepared in case you don’t get accepted, but don’t give up. Unusual and unexpected things always happen in this process!
I know. That's what I'm doing. Actually just received an email saying they're starting to see movement in their waitlist.

Received waitlist email as well first time getting it though

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Received waitlist email as well first time getting it though

They have been sending one out every 2-3 weeks or so for a couple of months now. I really like how they are always staying in contact even if it is just the same message over and over again. Let’s me know I’m not forgotten

Reactions: 2 users
So ya think we can call the adissions office about the whole spots being filled thing? I'd like to know so I can stop stressing and move on to back up plans and whatnot.

Last edited:
So ya think we can call the adissions office about the whole spots being filled thing? I'd like to know so I can stop stressing and move on to back up plans and whatnot.
it seems they have been extremely upfront about things until this point so i don't see why not

it seems they have been extremely upfront about things until this point so i don't see why not
I mean am I missing something? It just seems weird that they would clear the list last year but only take 10 spots on their second year.

I mean am I missing something? It just seems weird that they would clear the list last year but only take 10 spots on their second year.
I think calling and asking and just telling them what we are hearing and asking them to be straight with us is the best thing any of us can do. I would call and ask because I know a lot of us are on this waitlist together, but I emailed recently and I don’t want to seem like a pest lol. But I agree I feel like we are missing something. A waitlist can fluctuate year to year, but to go from all to nearly none almost sounds like the impossible. It’s the equivalent of saying that ARCOM has completely figured out the interview process and accepted exactly the number they needed and got nothing but students who were all in on this one school. If the top MD schools use the top 5-10 of their waitlist, you’ll just never be able to convince me ARCOM was able to accept the right students who wouldn’t be leaving for other schools when a year ago they used the entire list. I would like to say though, I have talked to Emily427 in the past, and she is super nice and helpful. All any of us can do on here is pass along information we have or hear of and try and keep everyone in the loop, but just because she said they would only be taking the top 5 or 10 doesn’t mean they won’t end up taking 40 out of 80 or 75 out of 75. Truth is, we just don’t know. If you call and ask about the class being completely filled and not expecting much waitlist movement, I’m fairly confident they will tell you if that’s true or not or at least give you a hint of where they stand

Reactions: 4 users
I apologize if I upset anyone. I know how much waiting for a life changing answer can affect a person. Was just trying to keep everyone informed, especially since I had been saying previously that there would be waitlist movement based on what happened last year at ARCOM. I honestly hope that everyone gets pulled from the waitlist that really wants to attend. This is one of the few instances I would be perfectly content being wrong. Good luck everyone!

I apologize if I upset anyone. I know how much waiting for a life changing answer can affect a person. Was just trying to keep everyone informed, especially since I had been saying previously that there would be waitlist movement based on what happened last year at ARCOM. I honestly hope that everyone gets pulled from the waitlist that really wants to attend. This is one of the few instances I would be perfectly content being wrong. Good luck everyone!
Amen! Have you been able to secure housing at the residences by the school? Or are you gonna stay somewhere else?

Amen! Have you been able to secure housing at the residences by the school? Or are you gonna stay somewhere else?
Unfortunately I have a large dog so I can't stay at the residents. My husband and I are putting a deposit down for The Haven tomorrow though. Super nice housing and really close to the school (you can see it from the windows in the anatomy lab)

Unfortunately I have a large dog so I can't stay at the residents. My husband and I are putting a deposit down for The Haven tomorrow though. Super nice housing and really close to the school (you can see it from the windows in the anatomy lab)
Awesome!! I have a basset hound that is just really fat so I don’t know if he will be able to stay at those apartments if I get off the waitlist. How much are those apartments running?

Awesome!! I have a basset hound that is just really fat so I don’t know if he will be able to stay at those apartments if I get off the waitlist. How much are those apartments running?
I love bassets! They're so goofy. I think the residents runs $800 for 1bedroom and $1200 for two bed. The Haven are houses and they all have 3 bedrooms. The one we are planning on leasing is $1150. It has a backyard, garage, all appliances, but doesn't include electricity, internet, water in the price (like the residents does)

I love bassets! They're so goofy. I think the residents runs $800 for 1bedroom and $1200 for two bed. The Haven are houses and they all have 3 bedrooms. The one we are planning on leasing is $1150. It has a backyard, garage, all appliances, but doesn't include electricity, internet, water in the price (like the residents does)
For the residents it's 875 for 1 bedroom and 1300 for 2 bedrooms. But this is an all-included bill which means you don't have to worry about internet, water, electricity, or cable bills.

For the residents it's 875 for 1 bedroom and 1300 for 2 bedrooms. But this is an all-included bill which means you don't have to worry about internet, water, electricity, or cable bills.

I still think that's a little steep compared to other apartments in the area, even with everything included. I'm sure the convenience of paying only one bill and being a short walk from the school may make it worth it though.

Can a first year comment on the daily schedule. What time does classes start and end. Do you have a full schedule on Fridays? When does the day end on Fridays and other days?

Can a first year comment on the daily schedule. What time does classes start and end. Do you have a full schedule on Fridays? When does the day end on Fridays and other days?

First semester we usually ended at 3 or 4 because classes were mandatory, then depending on which lab group you’re in A or B you can end on Tuesdays at 3 or 5 for OMM Lab and Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays alternated between either group A or group B having anatomy lab which began at 1 and ended around 4p or 5p.

Second semester, BECOM classes aren’t mandatory and you don’t have anatomy lab anymore, so you don’t have to go to class unless it’s TBL for BECOM (biochem, histo, phys combo class) and IBC (integrated subjects class), OMM class and lab, and FOPC class and lab. OMM schedule is the same once a week and FOPC (patient care class) depending on the activity might be your own standardized patient encounter which takes about 40 minutes (7-min encounter and debrief) or group lab which is about an hour.

A second deposit?? I think at ARCOM the next type of payment is tuition, as far as a payment to the school goes.

A second deposit?? I think at ARCOM the next type of payment is tuition, as far as a payment to the school goes.

I think they would have mentioned a second deposit at the Welcome Home event.

Most schools have a second deposit due in April/May. Even if ARCOM does not, a student that sends a second deposit to another school will be required to drop their seat from ARCOM.

Is it bad if I’m wanting to choose this school over several options, even UAMS? I honestly really loved it when I was there.
I would choose DO over MD any day, ARCOM was my #1 especially because I’m a local and want to stay here after if at all possible. Have you been accepted? It’s been a while since I’ve looked over this thread so I don’t remember!

Waitlisted. Interviewed on 3/16. Let the waiting and praying begin! :whistle:

I would choose DO over MD any day, ARCOM was my #1 especially because I’m a local and want to stay here after if at all possible. Have you been accepted? It’s been a while since I’ve looked over this thread so I don’t remember!

Yes, I got accepted pretty early on and will be attending. ARCOM is my home now! Try as I might I could never picture myself anywhere else.

Do anyone know if physics is taught in med school?
Maybe if you decide to go into radiology or maybe sports medicine/orthopedics, then you may learn some that would be applicable in residency. I wouldn’t be surprised if we learned a little bit of physics related to physiology in med school though, but nothing math related or as in depth as our undergrad classes. We won’t be physicists after all, but physicians.

I heard some med schools teach calculus physics. Not sure if arkansas teaches or not.

Anyone waitlisted hear anything recently?

Guys the way they made it sound at my Interview was that they would rank us (waitlisted) only every once in a while because it would be impossible to do us everytime a spot opens or someone else is added to WL. Then he made it sound like once a decent number of spots open, they would use the “new ranking” they jus created to pull multiple people. So I think soon a group of us will be pulled off. I know someone said like 5-10 in total, but I met like 5 peopl jus at other interviews and at my undergrad who got in and will most likely drop. Hopefully, at least.

Well I hope we hear something soon because the wait is killing me!

Don't expect much till the end of this month at the least .