2017-2018 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, congrats to all that were accepted from the WL. :claps: It gives me hope to see movement. :love:

It seems like they are accepting from the waitlist based on date of interview. I interviewed on the last day, so...waiting but excited.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, congrats to all that were accepted from the WL. :claps: It gives me hope to see movement. :love:

It seems like they are accepting from the waitlist based on date of interview. I interviewed on the last day, so...waiting but excited.

I hope that is not the case, interviewed and waitlisted in October and I am still waiting.

Reactions: 1 users
I hope that is not the case, interviewed and waitlisted in October and I am still waiting.

I don't think they are pulling people off the WL based on the date you interviewed. That wouldn't seem fair for the people that interviewed early and are still waiting. I think it would make more sense that they focus on who fits well with the school mission and stats.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think they are pulling people off the WL based on the date you interviewed. That wouldn't seem fair for the people that interviewed early and are still waiting. I think it would make more sense that they focus on who fits well with the school mission and stats.

Was just my observation, not fact.
And life is not fair anyhow.
So as far as I am concerned all schools will do whatever they want to fill their class as they see fit.

Quiet today....a little too quiet! also, does anyone else check this thing like 100 times a day or is it just me?

Would anyone happen to know when student move in day is for The Residents (for the incoming class of 2018)?
I know orientation events start July 30th.

Would anyone happen to know when student move in day is for The Residents (for the incoming class of 2018)?
I know orientation events start July 30th.
On accepted student day, I talked to them, and I think they said approximately 2 weeks before class starts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Decided to give up my acceptance here. Got into a PhD program, which was originally my back up plan. I’m a little leery of all these new DO schools, and am worried it’s not going to end well. SOMA Reps (peers) asked COCA to view the new schools with extreme scrutiny while evaluting the new schools for accreditation lol. I know soma has little power in any regard, but it rubbed me the wrong way. I just have a bad feeling about some of the new DO programs. Might try for another med school in a few years. Would love to hear the thoughts of others.

Decided to give up my acceptance here. Got into a PhD program, which was originally my back up plan. I’m a little leery of all these new DO schools, and am worried it’s not going to end well. SOMA Reps (peers) asked COCA to view the new schools with extreme scrutiny while evaluting the new schools for accreditation lol. I know soma has little power in any regard, but it rubbed me the wrong way. I just have a bad feeling about some of the new DO programs. Might try for another med school in a few years. Would love to hear the thoughts of others.
This is just my opinion but PhD is the safe route. Despite what most people may believe on this website nobody really knows what’s going to happen with all these new schools opening so it’s really just a calculated risk. I would like to believe nothing bad will happen but again you just never know. If you got in already though I don’t see why you wouldn’t get in again should you decide to retry later in life. Best of luck and let me know what you decide.

I have to admit there are some new DO schools that leave lots of room for concerns. Especially the ones with either/a combination of high attrition rate, low board scores, having 3rd and 4th year students teaching 1st and 2nd year ones, or recently a school with 92% placement rate after match and soap/scramble. Anyway, so far, ARCOM hasn't showed any of those signs yet since it is so brand new, but I have to say I believe they get alot of support and are also working on opening lots of GME programs in the state of Arkansas which is a very good sign for us and very different from most new schools. The current students will be taking their first board exam next year that will put our helix curriculum to the ultimate test, and the rest only time will tell. Though, I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) if a school loses its accreditation and gets closed, its students are immediately qualified for a loan discharge. Therefore, you would have only lost 4 years max of your life lol. But I also believe, for a medical school, something must have really gone wrong for COCA to take such a huge decision that can affect so many people, and I don't even think it ever happened before even on the MD side. The previous poster is right though. A PhD is definitely a safer route if you're worrying about what the future holds. IMO, there's no right or wrong decision here, and you can definitely reapply whenever you feel ready and safe.
Good luck in your endeavors.

Reactions: 3 users
Out of all the new schools I have no doubt ARCOM will succeed

I have to admit there are some new DO schools that leave lots of room for concerns. Especially the ones with either/a combination of high attrition rate, low board scores, having 3rd and 4th year students teaching 1st and 2nd year ones, or recently a school with 92% placement rate after match and soap/scramble. Anyway, so far, ARCOM hasn't showed any of those signs yet since it is so brand new, but I have to say I believe they get alot of support and are also working on opening lots of GME programs in the state of Arkansas which is a very good sign for us and very different from most new schools. The current students will be taking their first board exam next year that will put our helix curriculum to the ultimate test, and the rest only time will tell. Though, I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) if a school loses its accreditation and gets closed, its students are immediately qualified for a loan discharge. Therefore, you would have only lost 4 years max of your life lol. But I also believe, for a medical school, something must have really gone wrong for COCA to take such a huge decision that can affect so many people, and I don't even think it ever happened before even on the MD side. The previous poster is right though. A PhD is definitely a safer route if you're worrying about what the future holds. IMO, there's no right or wrong decision here, and you can definitely reapply whenever you feel ready and safe.

Just to add to the conversation.

1. I have no doubts that ARCOM will succeed.
2. You can transfer to another COM if they don't become fully accredited.

Just to add to the conversation.

1. I have no doubts that ARCOM will succeed.
2. You can transfer to another COM if they don't become fully accredited.

That’s nice, and I hope they do. Unfortunately, I don’t think it’s going to be that easy to transfer to another COM if arcom were to fall through. They’re not going to be able to take everyone.

That’s nice, and I hope they do. Unfortunately, I don’t think it’s going to be that easy to transfer to another COM if arcom were to fall through. They’re not going to be able to take everyone.

I don't think you understand how hard it is to lose accreditation. Before a school loses accreditation (or preliminary accreditation in ARCOMs case), they are on probation for two years. They have that time to fix whatever the issue is. Schools are put on probation relatively frequently, but hardly ever lose accreditation. Even Baylor was on probation for a time. The only school that I know of that lost its accreditation was a Carribean school and it was due to not having adequate rotation sites... something that really couldn't be fixed. That's just not an issue in the states. Not to mention that most schools with preliminary accreditation work extremely hard to become accredited. Statistically speaking, established schools are more likely to go on probation/lose accreditation. I don't think these issues that you're foreshadowing are just developing over night. As for me, I'm going to trust the last ~100 years of accreditation trends. And as far as transferring to another COM goes, you're right. It might not happen for everyone, but I don't think it will be an issue for those that are doing well. Anyways, just my $0.02.

I don't think you understand how hard it is to lose accreditation. Before a school loses accreditation (or preliminary accreditation in ARCOMs case), they are on probation for two years. They have that time to fix whatever the issue is. Schools are put on probation relatively frequently, but hardly ever lose accreditation. Even Baylor was on probation for a time. The only school that I know of that lost its accreditation was a Carribean school and it was due to not having adequate rotation sites... something that really couldn't be fixed. That's just not an issue in the states. Not to mention that most schools with preliminary accreditation work extremely hard to become accredited. Statistically speaking, established schools are more likely to go on probation/lose accreditation. I don't think these issues that you're foreshadowing are just developing over night. As for me, I'm going to trust the last ~100 years of accreditation trends. And as far as transferring to another COM goes, you're right. It might not happen for everyone, but I don't think it will be an issue for those that are doing well. Anyways, just my $0.02.

Here's a post I found by Goro, just in case anyone needs further proof.
IMG_3171.PNG

Trust me, I do understand. I wouldn’t have given up my spot to a medical school if I didn’t do research. You’re right, at this point in time, there have been few closures due to lack of accreditation, but I also don’t think there have been so many DO schools churned out at the same time. And with this merger coming soon, I think that’s going to generate a lot of issues. You also have to consider the bottleneck scenario that is guaranteed to happen with residency placement, but that’s a whole other conversation.

Trust me, I do understand. I wouldn’t have given up my spot to a medical school if I didn’t do research. You’re right, at this point in time, there have been few closures due to lack of accreditation, but I also don’t think there have been so many DO schools churned out at the same time. And with this merger coming soon, I think that’s going to generate a lot of issues. You also have to consider the bottleneck scenario that is guaranteed to happen with residency placement, but that’s a whole other conversation.
I understand your point, but first of all we have plenty of residency spots that go unfilled every year even after the people from the Caribbean match, second new GME programs and residency spots open every year. They are not as stable as you might think. Third, look up CUSOM and what they have done in the state of North Carolina as a new school. Their first two graduate classes have had 100% placement for 2 straight years, and that's because the school has been working hard to open new GME programs in the state which in turns accept most of their students. I think that's the same idea ARCOM is trying to implement in the state of Arkansas, and I have strong beliefs that it's going to be just like CUSOM. And finally, if a bottleneck is going to happen, I think it's going to affect the IMGs first before DOs because first AOA owns 30% of voting rights in ACGME now and 2nd the quality of education in the Caribbean (that represents most of IMGs).

Edit: just my 0.02 cents as well, but by all means do what's best for you. In the end it's gonna be your choice not ours.

Last edited:
While I agree that lens has some pretty good points most of what was said is speculation. Just because cusom had success with their program doesn’t mean arcom will be the same way. Also nobody knows what the merger and bottleneck will do especially for DOs so while it may hurt IMGs more than DOs it can’t be said with certainty. The u filled residency spots is what OP I believe is talking about with the new schools opening. Unless more spots are created all the students from these new schools will create even more of a problem.

That’s interesting, not what I gathered. Yeah, I hope that’s the case. I’m just scared these DO schools are going to end up like law schools that open and close quite frequently. A law school in NC closed recently after being placed on probation for poor bar scores, which they attribute to the low standards of admission, which they continued to lower to meet enrollment quota. Sounded kinda similar to what arcom does by pulling everyone off the waitlist, and then some. But I guess newer schools have to do that pretty often.
Either way, you all need to represent Arcom wellso they fluorish and become a great school, that way if I decide to reapply, I won’t have any qualms about it. Good luck!!:)

That’s interesting, not what I gathered. Yeah, I hope that’s the case. I’m just scared these DO schools are going to end up like law schools that open and close quite frequently. A law school in NC closed recently after being placed on probation for poor bar scores, which they attribute to the low standards of admission, which they continued to lower to meet enrollment quota. Sounded kinda similar to what arcom does by pulling everyone off the waitlist, and then some. But I guess newer schools have to do that pretty often.
Either way, you all need to represent Arcom wellso they fluorish and become a great school, that way if I decide to reapply, I won’t have any qualms about it. Good luck!!:)
Again I do understand your points, and they are very valid. But, you must also understand that law is a very saturated field, so that was bound to happen with new law schools. Also, we are not short of good candidates on our side. Many students with perfect stats still go without an MD or DO acceptance every year. The competition on our side is real, and that explains why even the new DO schools average stats are still in the 3.5 GPAs and 502 MCATs even after pulling hundreds from their waitlists. ARCOM pulled a lot of people from the waitlist by this time last year (they had less than 2000 apps last year), and this is not so much the case this year (with more than 4000 apps). Personally, I know some people with 3.5+ GPAs and 500+ MCATs that have been wailisted and even rejected by ARCOM. That's not to say that people with lower stats (<3.5 GPA, sub 500 MCAT) weren't accepted (people with those stats even get MD acceptances every year as well), but they represent the few and mostly have other strong aspects in their app. Therefore, I'm not worrying too much about our board scores for now.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong though, I'm not for all the new DO schools opening everywhere either, and I think COCA should slow it down a little bit to not offset our applicant pool. And IMO, some new schools, unlike ARCOM, shouldn't have been allowed to open. I'm pretty sure COCA will be forced to slow the expansion down after the merger. But for now, the real issue for DOs come 2020 will probably be whether new GME programs open or not, and that's why DO Day on Capitol Hill happens every year, so we can lobby politicians to give us more resources, funding, and residency spots. That's a whole other story though. So let's see what the merger brings to us.

Edit: By GME spot opening I mean to cover all the new graduates we'll have by 2022. But we know GME and residency spots open every year anyway, but at a slow rate.

Last edited:
ARCOM has so much support from the local community unlike NYIT Arkansas

ARCOM has so much support from the local community unlike NYIT Arkansas
Which is the prime reason why I think ARCOM will succeed. This, plus the very experienced Dean and staff, and our alliance with Mercy hospital just 5 minutes away.

I don't believe any US med school DO or MD has ever lost accreditation, nor has any school that has gotten provisional accreditation failed to be fully accredited. I could be mistaken tho. If you would prefer to get the PhD that is a solid reason, but I wouldn't pass up acceptance due to accreditation fear.

I don't believe any US med school DO or MD has ever lost accreditation, nor has any school that has gotten provisional accreditation failed to be fully accredited. I could be mistaken tho. If you would prefer to get the PhD that is a solid reason, but I wouldn't pass up acceptance due to accreditation fear.

Honestly that person probably should pass up tje acceptance. Clearly her heart isn’t fully committed to becoming a physician.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m probably crazy for having done it, but I actually gave up an acceptance to KCU because of how much ARCOM impressed me with their mission and determination to create the best medical school they possibly can to serve the underserved in the region. They made me feel like I mattered on Interview day, that I had the capacity to make a positive difference in the world of medicine and in my community. The things that kept me from solidifying my decision at the time were personal family issues, and the fact that KCU had a great match list, placement rates, and board scores. But it was that feeling of optimism, family, and teamwork towards a noble goal that kept me coming back to ARCOM. Ultimately, my fiancée and I felt that we could start our lives off the best in Fort Smith at ARCOM because of that community connection and the sense of purpose. Yes, it’s a small gamble. But given the community support around ARCOM, their funding, their drive, and their quickly developing network of teaching hospitals for residencies and clerkships, I really don’t see this being a bad choice at all. I’m looking forward to starting at ARCOM in August!

Reactions: 2 users
I just got THE CALL!!! I have been fortunate enough to be pulled from the wait list!!

Reactions: 14 users
I’m probably crazy for having done it, but I actually gave up an acceptance to KCU because of how much ARCOM impressed me with their mission and determination to create the best medical school they possibly can to serve the underserved in the region. They made me feel like I mattered on Interview day, that I had the capacity to make a positive difference in the world of medicine and in my community. The things that kept me from solidifying my decision at the time were personal family issues, and the fact that KCU had a great match list, placement rates, and board scores. But it was that feeling of optimism, family, and teamwork towards a noble goal that kept me coming back to ARCOM. Ultimately, my fiancée and I felt that we could start our lives off the best in Fort Smith at ARCOM because of that community connection and the sense of purpose. Yes, it’s a small gamble. But given the community support around ARCOM, their funding, their drive, and their quickly developing network of teaching hospitals for residencies and clerkships, I really don’t see this being a bad choice at all. I’m looking forward to starting at ARCOM in August!
Well, you should know that you are not alone. I turned down ATSU-KCOM for similar reasons, plus other reasons like location and high tuition. I thought I was being crazy too, but I'm truly not regretting my decision for anything (not even the merger). Plus if KCOM thinks I can succeed in medical school, then I can do it anywhere. Well, I guess time will tell, but for some reason I strongly believe that ARCOM will pull through.

Last edited:
On COCAs mock visit, they told us at the student panel that if any school (not necessarily ARCOM) happened to not get accreditation or get closed down (like a natural disaster, for example) that we are all placed in other schools to finish the remainder of our education. This year at ARCOM has been a good one. Sure there are kinks that had to be worked out but the most important thing is that they’ve corrected whatever has needed correction and/or put plans in place to correct it. But all in all, we have incredible faculty who are all very experienced in their fields and love what they do. They’ve given us every resource possible and ultimately it’s not too difficult to see if we’re being taught what needs to be taught to be prepared for boards. Many of us have been using board review material this past semester and it seemed to have correlated very well. Just a few tidbits from a current ARCOM student if you have any specific questions I’d be happy to try to answer them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Wait, you were accepted at BCOM, right? I'm so happy you. Federal loan is definitely a big difference.

That last post I just made was supposed to quote you in it. User error

Wait, you were accepted at BCOM, right? I'm so happy you. Federal loan is definitely a big difference.

Thank you!!

Yes I was accepted to BCOM, and as of last week that is where I had planned to attend. The personal loans scared me big time, but I had no other option then. Today, well, all that changes now lol. I will be attending ARCOM without a doubt. Federal loans was my deal breaker in all honesty.

On COCAs mock visit, they told us at the student panel that if any school (not necessarily ARCOM) happened to not get accreditation or get closed down (like a natural disaster, for example) that we are all placed in other schools to finish the remainder of our education. This year at ARCOM has been a good one. Sure there are kinks that had to be worked out but the most important thing is that they’ve corrected whatever has needed correction and/or put plans in place to correct it. But all in all, we have incredible faculty who are all very experienced in their fields and love what they do. They’ve given us every resource possible and ultimately it’s not too difficult to see if we’re being taught what needs to be taught to be prepared for boards. Many of us have been using board review material this past semester and it seemed to have correlated very well. Just a few tidbits from a current ARCOM student if you have any specific questions I’d be happy to try to answer them.
Even better news. I'm sure we'll be just fine

Honestly that person probably should pass up tje acceptance. Clearly her heart isn’t fully committed to becoming a physician.

I am fully committed to be a physician, which is why I am going the extra mile, and waiting for the right school for me to ensure competence for my future patients.