2017-2018 Baylor College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Baylor is going to have to reject me to get rid of me. I understand though that people have different attitudes regarding all of the waiting and patience.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Baylor is going to have to reject me to get rid of me. I understand though that people have different attitudes regarding all of the waiting and patience.
Well it’s not like I’m telling them I’m moving on lol. What I (and perhaps @pessimist22) meant was that I am moving past agonizing over this process with Baylor. I applied to 17 schools and I have found their process BY FAR the most frustrating and disrepectful to the applicants. That’s just my position. They don’t care; it totally works for them. It’s time for me to be happy and excited about going to a school that’s in an amazing location which gave me a large merit award. Is it ranked as high as Baylor and the other 2 schools at which I am waitlisted? No. It’s not. But I don’t care anymore. If I ever
Hear from Baylor or the other 2, I will reopen the thought process. Maybe. But for now Im done. ✌️

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed; I'm still gonna drop everything and go to Houston if I get accepted, but other plans have to made in the event I don't get in.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well it’s not like I’m telling them I’m moving on lol. What I (and perhaps @pessimist22) meant was that I am moving past agonizing over this process with Baylor. I applied to 17 schools and I have found their process BY FAR the most frustrating and disrepectful to the applicants. That’s just my position. They don’t care; it totally works for them. It’s time for me to be happy and excited about going to a school that’s in an amazing location which gave me a large merit award. Is it ranked as high as Baylor and the other 2 schools at which I am waitlisted? No. It’s not. But I don’t care anymore. If I ever
Hear from Baylor or the other 2, I will reopen the thought process. Maybe. But for now Im done. ✌️

Agreed; I'm still gonna drop everything and go to Houston if I get accepted, but other plans have to made in the event I don't get in.

I totally understand and wish you both the best of luck.

Not limited to medical school admissions. Had similar experience with a summer research program in undergrad. Seems Baylor has "failure to notify" issues.

Gals and Guys, FWIW: BCM, in general, has a track record for doing these kinds of things to applicants...

Probably not. I'm sure once you are part of the club, BCM will go out of its way to make you feel like a valuable member of the family.

Have they even rejected any OOS applicants that interviewed? I interviewed in September. Am I just in a pool now with 300 other OOS applicants that interviewed but haven't been accepted?

Reactions: 1 user
Have they even rejected any OOS applicants that interviewed? I interviewed in September. Am I just in a pool now with 300 other OOS applicants that interviewed but haven't been accepted?
We're in the exact same boat!

Pretty much yes :panda:. There will probably be some more offers of admission in April, and then after April 30th Baylor will invite some to be on a WL. At the very end of the cycle they send out a letter telling everyone that their class is now complete. From what I have seen the last few years on SDN, they don't send out rejections before that final letter. Of course also the applicants who didn't get an interview are no longer in the running as of now.

Has anyone received merit aid yet, specifically OOS people?

Well it’s not like I’m telling them I’m moving on lol. What I (and perhaps @pessimist22) meant was that I am moving past agonizing over this process with Baylor.... ✌️

You got it exactly ... I'd still love to get a call from Baylor, but I'm much happier day to day appreciating the school that accepted me rather than stressing about the school that hasn't contacted me in 6 months.

Is it as bad for their students as well?

I've heard from a recent Baylor MD grad that the administration is generally not the most considerate. He was very happy with his experience overall though, so I don't think it's a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are usually more offers in April. No need to be discouraging to people still waiting to hear
Oh I didn’t mean that at all! I meant probably won’t be offers until after second look which is early April. So sorry for the confusion, I’m rooting for you guys!

Reactions: 3 users
I’ve got to kind of agree with this. @Lusheeta, a week ago when you were in our position, would you have posted this?
I’m sorry I didn’t mean to discourage! I specifically meant between now and second look; it seems they accept plenty of people in April. It’s far from over for everyone still waiting! Sorry for the confusion, didn’t mean to discourage anybody.

Reactions: 5 users
I’m sorry I didn’t mean to discourage! I specifically meant between now and second look; it seems they accept plenty of people in April. It’s far from over for everyone still waiting! Sorry for the confusion, didn’t mean to discourage anybody.
You good @Lusheeta, people are stressed af, and you're probably right about your previous comment

Reactions: 3 users
Totally knew what you meant, no worries! Enjoy 2nd look! :)

You got it exactly ... I'd still love to get a call from Baylor, but I'm much happier day to day appreciating the school that accepted me rather than stressing about the school that hasn't contacted me in 6 months.

I've heard from a recent Baylor MD grad that the administration is generally not the most considerate. He was very happy with his experience overall though, so I don't think it's a problem.

~~~~~

I have known a number of BCM students in recent years...they consistently thought that esprits de corps and sense of purpose was very good. P/F helps minimize the Gunner thing. The faculty are caring and dedicated. The PRM thing provides nice mentoring support. The 18-month preclinical period (versus 24 months at most places) is a winner-- you are seeing patients for a solid year+ when you sit for the Step 1.

This indefinite, seemingly endless waiting thing IS A XXXXX, and odds are a bit long to be sure. :unsure:

But if you get that special call, don't look the gift horse in the mouth-- jump on that horse and ride! :luck: :)

I'm sure this has been asked a million times in this thread (and I noticed it was in previous years', but it's still a bit unclear): Has anyone accepted prior to the "first deadline" received a financial aid offer, or does anyone know when those should be arriving?

I'm sure this has been asked a million times in this thread (and I noticed it was in previous years', but it's still a bit unclear): Has anyone accepted prior to the "first deadline" received a financial aid offer, or does anyone know when those should be arriving?
I sent in my financial aid info pretty soon after it opened, and got an email with my financial aid package this week. I called the financial aid office when I was filling out the app to calrify something, and they mentioned that it takes 4-6 weeks to process your app and get your package sent.

Is there an approximation of how many spots are remaining?

Is there an approximation of how many spots are remaining?
I believe they are just sending out acceptances as people drop. Second look weekend is Friday, so there may be some movement in the near future. Waitlist will probably go out at the end of April/beginning of May.

Does anyone know if sending in the financial aid packet ( the one form, W2, and parents information) is how you get all financial aid? Like the Stafford loan, institutional loans, and merit? I've read everywhere but can't figure out if that's all I need to do or if that's just for institutional or what

Does anyone know if sending in the financial aid packet ( the one form, W2, and parents information) is how you get all financial aid? Like the Stafford loan, institutional loans, and merit? I've read everywhere but can't figure out if that's all I need to do or if that's just for institutional or what
It’s how you get everything except merit. Merit is separate and you don’t need to do anything to be considered. The two things to submit are the FAFSA and Baylor’s finaid packet.

I've had good experiences working with BCM's financial aid office, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to call and ask them.

Got the acceptance call today!!! OOS interviewed in October. Was not expecting it at all by this point :eek:

Reactions: 7 users
Got the acceptance call today!!! OOS interviewed in October. Was not expecting it at all by this point :eek:
Congrats! What time did you get the call?

Accepted! IS

Congrats to those accepted! Also *insert angsty post about how I interviewed 7 months ago, haven’t heard anything & just want the cycle to be over*

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to those accepted! Also *insert angsty post about how I interviewed 7 months ago, haven’t heard anything & just want the cycle to be over*
You’ve still got time! I’m rooting for ya!

Also, congrats to those who got accepted! It’s a great feeling :)

Accepted as well! Very happy to be in Houston for the next four years (although I'm not looking forward to the summers).

Reactions: 4 users
Got my award offer this morning... withdrawing from here. Good luck to those on the waitlist

When were you accepted? I got the call a little less than a month ago and I haven't gotten anything yet.
So I was accepted in November. Submitted my financial aid in like mid March. Actually called financial aid recently. The offers apparently take about 4-6 weeks to prepare. Your application is assigned to a financial aid officer that goes down the list chronologically so you can call and try to figure out when they think they'd get to you

So I was accepted in November. Submitted my financial aid in like mid March. Actually called financial aid recently. The offers apparently take about 4-6 weeks to prepare. Your application is assigned to a financial aid officer that goes down the list chronologically so you can call and try to figure out when they think they'd get to you
Gotcha. Is that for need, merit, or both? Merit is what I’m currently waiting on.

Had a friend get into Baylor last week. Will be leaving spot at McGovern.

Gotcha. Is that for need, merit, or both? Merit is what I’m currently waiting on.
It was for need. Got neither merit nor need here. Although I knew some that did .Those people seemed to get them soon after acceptance but I'm sres it's possible to get one at anytime

when does Baylor let you know if youre on the waitlist? interviewed in Jan and wondering what the silence means