2017-2018 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected pre interview. Kinda bummed cause I thought I had a chance to interview here. Good luck to all you applicants out there :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was waitlisted. Tbh I’m kinda happy with this result. I don’t have to pay that huge deposit and I was expecting a rejection after my interview
When did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted. Oh well. I guess I'll keep it moving.

Accepted from the 10/02 II day :) Blessed

Reactions: 3 users
Got an II!! Signed up to interview 11/10! Can anyone give me good interview tips for Burrell? I've looked through this thread, and no one has really mentioned what the interview is like.

Just got an acceptance from the 10/02 interview! I am beyond happy to start my journey. The school was very beautiful with a great Sims Lab and the amazing sunny weather is a bonus. Never give up you guys!!

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew my acceptance here. Good luck to you all!

Just got an acceptance from the 10/02 interview! I am beyond happy to start my journey. The school was very beautiful with a great Sims Lab and the amazing sunny weather is a bonus. Never give up you guys!!
Congrats! What are your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey dude. WL moves a lot. keep your head up

It does not. No one got pulled of the waitlist last year. Sorry to bring the bad nees

Correct, no movement last year, but has been WL movement in the past. See:

For those interested, I emailed Adrian about the waitlist activity in the past.

2016:

Students pulled off deferred list: 71 (Every single student who was placed on deferred got an offer)

Students pulled off waitlist: Approx. 165

2017:

Students pulled off deferred list: 118 (Still had 3 students left who had to be deferred)

Students pulled off waitlist: 0 (no one got pulled up due to the fact we did not get through deferred list)

Just withdrew my II for Oct 20. I sincerely hope it goes out to someone that really wants one from here.

Hi, I am a student at BCOM if anyone has any questions feel free to message me.

Just withdrew my interview invitation, hope someone in need gets it! (scheduled for 11/10).

For people who interviewed, good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
For people who interviewed, how should I prepare? I heard its tough.
I interviewed there last year. Yes, the team was tough but fair. I was not asked any of off the wall questions.

I interviewed there last year. Yes, the team was tough but fair. I was not asked any of off the wall questions.
What made it tough for you? I'm hoping for no "drilling." I'll be ready for it but I was looking forward to it being more "relaxed" and conversational as mentioned by other interviewees.

What made it tough for you? I'm hoping for no "drilling." I'll be ready for it but I was looking forward to it being more "relaxed" and conversational as mentioned by other interviewees.
I guess it really depends on the interviewer you get. Some applicants I talked to said they had very relaxed conversations about who they are and why medicine. However my interview and a couple others I talked to had drilling ethical questions. Mine lasted for well over 15 minutes.

Reactions: 2 users
I guess it really depends on the interviewer you get. Some applicants I talked to said they had very relaxed conversations about who they are and why medicine. However my interview and a couple others I talked to had drilling ethical questions. Mine lasted for well over 15 minutes.
what kind of questions?

Sorry I won't be able to answer this since I signed an agreement to not disclose anything from the interview. Hope you understand.
haha of course. I meant was it hard questions or ethical questions that you could manage your way through if you have some idea of what is happening in the field of medicine?

Any recent II's or rejections?

Reactions: 1 users
haha of course. I meant was it hard questions or ethical questions that you could manage your way through if you have some idea of what is happening in the field of medicine?
Ha sorry, for me it was the latter.

I only had 1 ethical question in my interview but definitely had some weird questions thrown at me.

II! 11/1 was earliest available. Picked another November date due to conflict with a different interview. Weird how I didn't see any open October dates

II! 11/1 was earliest available. Picked another November date due to conflict with a different interview. Weird how I didn't see any open October dates
That’s cause all the October dates are probably filled. The October dates that were there a few minutes ago were from people that dropped their interview spots.

congrats. stats please

3.1s, 3.39c (huge upward trend) 3.8(nonscience masters), 502. Did a video for secondary, lots of LORS (DO, MD, committee letter), lots of EC

Everything was submitted by September 17th.

3.1s, 3.39c (huge upward trend) 3.8(nonscience masters), 502. Did a video for secondary, lots of LORS (DO, MD, committee letter), lots of EC

Everything was submitted by September 17th.
Thank you!

Hey Guys!
Accepted back in August here and wanted to say if you have any questions about the interview day or general thoughts on the school (if you're trying to decide whether to attend your interview), feel free to message me. [I will not answer any questions about the questions in the interview given the NDA they had us sign, but otherwise I'm open book]

[NOTE: I am an applicant to medical school for Fall 2018 just like many of you. I just happen to have visited the school and interviewed already so that's all I can really share with you guys. I am not a current student there.]

Last edited:
Hey Guys!
Accepted back in August here and wanted to say if you have any questions about the interview day or general thoughts on the school (if you're trying to decide whether to attend your interview), feel free to message me. [I will not answer any questions about the questions in the interview given the NDA they had us sign, but otherwise I'm open book]
Congrtas, what were your stats? and what was your overall impression of the school and the philosophy they uphold?

Hey Guys!
How did you work out the financial aid? Did you take out private loans since they don’t get federal? Would you be eligible for any loan forgiveness? Did the school provide any scholarships or grants to minimize the cost?

Congrtas, what were your stats? and what was your overall impression of the school and the philosophy they uphold?

3.4 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA, 508 MCAT

The school was a lot better than I was expecting. Loved the facility and it seemed like students we spoke to were genuinely happy to be there and loving their experience too.

As to philosophy, it's hard to say given there's an inherent contradiction between the for-profit nature of the school (as evidenced by their $3000 deposit within 30 days rule) and the social justice dogma the dean was spouting (about getting docs from the local population and treating poor people).

How did you work out the financial aid? Did you take out private loans since they don’t get federal? Would you be eligible for any loan forgiveness? Did the school provide any scholarships or grants to minimize the cost?

I was accepted in August and therefore I'm an applicant for an August 2018 start just like you. Therefore, I haven't had to work out financial aid.

They told us that federal loans will likely be in place for our second year and that private lenders like Wells Fargo and Sallie Mae work with them to cover our first year.

Additionally, they told us about scholarship searching but it doesn't appear as though the institution provides any aid.

Hey Guys!

[NOTE: I am an applicant to medical school for Fall 2018 just like many of you. I just happen to have visited the school and interviewed already so that's all I can really share with you guys. I am not a current student there.]

How long was the interview and how many interviewers were present? Did you interview multiple times with different people? Were the interviewers easy to talk to?

And does anyone know what the statistics are for interviewed vs. accepted?

Thanks!

How long was the interview and how many interviewers were present? Did you interview multiple times with different people? Were the interviewers easy to talk to?

Thanks!

30 mins with 2 people, just the once. Very conversational...we even laughed a fair bit.

Thanks!
Mine was a more traditional interview where there was some grilling. It seemed to depend on the interviewers that you got.

Last edited: