2017-2018 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My was a more traditional interview where there was some grilling. It seemed to depend on the interviewers that you got.

30 mins with 2 people, just the once. Very conversational...we even laughed a fair bit.

Not knowing the questions beforehand, how did you prepare for the interview? Is there anything you wish you'd done to better prepare?
Sorry for so many questions, I'm just trying to prepare as much as possible! :help:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not knowing the questions beforehand, how did you prepare for the interview? Is there anything you wish you'd done to better prepare?
Sorry for so many questions, I'm just trying to prepare as much as possible! :help:

I read a prep book but ultimately the book wasn't even very useful.

Just use the school website to learn about the program and use the internet to get to know the population you will be working with.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as using private loans vs federal. The way I understand it the private loans you gotta start repaying during residency with no option for Income based repayment is that correct? But if they were federal those would obviously also start being repayed right away but you would have the option to do the income based repayment during residency?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im guessing that alternate list means waitlist and not deferred?

As far as using private loans vs federal. The way I understand it the private loans you gotta start repaying during residency with no option for Income based repayment is that correct? But if they were federal those would obviously also start being repayed right away but you would have the option to do the income based repayment during residency?

No you do not have to start repaying in residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew my II for December 13th. Good luck everyone!

Accepted! This is my first one so super thrilled about it!

Regarding interviews, I had a very pleasant experience overall. The campus is quite lovely and the facilities are amazing. However, I do know some people in my interview group had more grilling than others.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! This is my first one so super thrilled about it!

Regarding interviews, I had a very pleasant experience overall. The campus is quite lovely and the facilities are amazing. However, I do know some people in my interview group had more grilling than others.

What are your stats?

Do I have a chance with 3.66c, 3.56s, 498 MCAT (improved 10 points within a month)?
Lots a ECs and work experiences in healthcare, got my bachelor's degree in 3 years.

Do I have a chance with 3.66c, 3.56s, 498 MCAT (improved 10 points within a month)?
Lots a ECs and work experiences in healthcare, got my bachelor's degree in 3 years.
I think you do, I'd get your app in!

I just submitted my secondary on Friday and got an confirmation email this morning.
Do they accept a lot of people from out of state? I'm from central Illinois.

I was accepted and I came from Oregon. I don’t have stellar stats either. Just worked as a paramedic for almost 8 years. Seems they accept whoever best fits their mission and who they believe will be successful in their program.

I just submitted my secondary on Friday and got an confirmation email this morning.
Do they accept a lot of people from out of state? I'm from central Illinois.
A significant portion of students from both current classes are from out of state-- there just aren't that many in-state pre-meds. But I'm sure that will change as NMSU's pre-med program strengthens over the coming years.

I was accepted and I came from Oregon. I don’t have stellar stats either. Just worked as a paramedic for almost 8 years. Seems they accept whoever best fits their mission and who they believe will be successful in their program.

Thank you. How long before you guys hear back from them? II and such?
I imagine that they have a lot of applications to review at the moment?

Thank you. How long before you guys hear back from them? II and such?
I imagine that they have a lot of applications to review at the moment?
Based on past patterns, they're pretty on the ball, so it shouldn't take more than a few weeks at the most once you've submitted your secondary.

Yes! Apply!! I know a couple people with your stats that have gotten interviews and acceptances!

I loved this school and my interview experience at BCOM. The other applicants were also pretty awesome! I'm so nervous to hear back this week. I walked out of the interview feeling really good, but looking back I feel like my responses were probably too short and my excitement might have masked my sincerity in some of my answers to personal questions.

Reactions: 3 users
I loved this school and my interview experience at BCOM. The other applicants were also pretty awesome! I'm so nervous to hear back this week. I walked out of the interview feeling really good, but looking back I feel like my responses were probably too short and my excitement might have masked my sincerity in some of my answers to personal questions.

I felt the same way! I thought I answered the questions, but could have elaborated more. We'll see...tomorrow is the day!!

Reactions: 1 users
Waitlisted :,( absolutely devastated. I did so much to make sure this wouldn't be the outcome. I walked out feeling so good. I wasn't expecting this at all. Looking back I can't help but to wonder why I wasn't asked any questions about my application. None. Nothing was even said about any of my activities or experiences. Did they even go over my application? They even mistaked me for another applicant in the beginning. I thought this may have been a small mistake but now I'm not sure. I've done so much volunteering and working with the underserved.

Waitlisted :,( absolutely devastated. I did so much to make sure this wouldn't be the outcome. I walked out feeling so good. I wasn't expecting this at all. Looking back I can't help but to wonder why I wasn't asked any questions about my application. None. Nothing was even said about any of my activities or experiences. Did they even go over my application? They even mistaked me for another applicant in the beginning. I thought this may have been a small mistake but now I'm not sure. I've done so much volunteering and working with the underserved.

I'm sorry to hear that. Just remember everything happens for a reason. Maybe this isn't the school for you. And if it is, the good news is that this school is still new so there will probably be activity regarding the waitlist. Being waitlisted is nothing to be ashamed of. It means that they think you could be a successful doctor and are still considering you for the school. It is not a rejection, and you're still in the game. All you can do now is wait and focus on any other interviews you have received. You are not alone, there are others in the same boat. I'm rooting for you!

Reactions: 3 users
is there any difference between the alternate list and the waitlist?

is there any difference between the alternate list and the waitlist?
I am wondering the same thing. On subject line it reads "waitlist" but in the body it says I was recommended to be placed on the "alternate list."

I am wondering the same thing. On subject line it reads "waitlist" but in the body it says I was recommended to be placed on the "alternate list."
it's probably the same thing then, I didn't even see the subject line at first.

I believe they pulled nearly everybody (3 people remained on) from the alternate list last year and didn't get to the waitlist... somebody can correct me if I am wrong

I believe they pulled nearly everybody (3 people remained on) from the alternate list last year and didn't get to the waitlist... somebody can correct me if I am wrong
Does this mean all but three people got into the school from the alternate list?

I believe it was only the first year that they pulled everyone off the wailist. Last year there wasn't any movement on the waitlist.

Does this mean all but three people got into the school from the alternate list?
Correct... the alternate list is "ahead" of the waitlist... the first year everybody was pulled from the alternate and some from the waitlist. This past year I believe they didn't get all of the way through the alternate list, and 3 people were still left on, and the waitlist wasn't touched at all.

Correct... the alternate list is "ahead" of the waitlist... the first year everybody was pulled from the alternate and some from the waitlist. This past year I believe they didn't get all of the way through the alternate list, and 3 people were still left on, and the waitlist wasn't touched at all.
From previous posts and according to BCOM there are only 3 possible outcomes after interview: acceptance, waitlist, or rejection.

I'm pretty sure the waitlist is the same thing as the alternate list. Why else would the subject line state "waitlist?"

Maybe you're confusing alternate list with deferred acceptances that are given later on in the cycle?

From previous posts and according to BCOM there are only 3 possible outcomes after interview: acceptance, waitlist, or rejection.

I'm pretty sure the waitlist is the same thing as the alternate list. Why else would the subject line state "waitlist?"

Maybe you're confusing alternate list with deferred acceptances that are given later on in the cycle?
Just going off of what was told in the interview, I could be wrong tho. I'm about 99% positive the alternate list and waitlist are different tho. Either way, good luck!

Waitlisted is waitlisted
Alternate is also a term they use for waitlisted
And Deferred Acceptance is accepted but for next class/2023

non trad--502 MCAT, cGPA: 3.1, sGPA: 3.15, postbacc GPA: 3.88, URM, >3000 hrs of community work, >200 hrs DO shadowing/volunteer, >7000 hrs professional work experience in public health/healthcare
Do you have any ideas about why you were accepted and others weren't? Any suggestions for the interview? Advice is very very much appreciated!

Hey, just thought I'd post on what I've learnt in the last two hours :eek: perusing last year's thread about this WL/Deffered ordeal...

Basically, it seemed that the last two years BCOM had four types of lists:
-accepted
-waitlisted
-deferred acceptance (the interviewed students were great candidates that they wanted to straight accept; but there weren't any available seats and so they had a spot in the following class year - this list seemed to form during the Jan interviews onward)
-rejected

While, I am having a bit of trouble understanding why they would have two forms of limbo (WL & DA), a previous post in that thread said the school maybe made quick judgments and gave out many early acceptances without anticipating the number of people who would apply. As the application and interview season continued, even more tempting candidates came along and so BCOM created this confusing form of limbo. I'm guessing the large of amount of movement of WL/DA mentioned was due to lots of candidates rejecting their interviews later on in the cycle or rejecting their acceptances as something more agreeable for them came along. The deposit of 3k within 30 days also helps with turnover, and I think the the deposit window shortens significantly as the cycle continues. For example, instead of 30 days it's 15 days, then 1 week, etc.

Being waitlisted, I am curious as to whether the Deferred Acceptance list will occur this year or just have a single waiting list.
Also, I couldn't see when the WL started moving, I know from other schools, sometimes an acceptance maybe given before May or other times a candidate has to wait that tortuously for interview season to end. Given BCOM seems to be rolling, I wonder if they'll extend interviews until end April and if they'll make those who interviewed October and earlier wait until after April to hear something.

I was just invited for an interview and was wondering roughly how long it takes to here back on a decision after the interview?

I was just invited for an interview and was wondering roughly how long it takes to here back on a decision after the interview?

They took about a week to get back to me. Committee meets on Wednesdays and they tell you they will let you know that Wednesday night or the following Thursday morning. Im pretty sure the majority of people have heard the following Thursday as did I. Good luck!

my understanding of a deferred list is to make sure that school fills the entire class. It's is a med school but also a business like all schools. A lot of people dropped in the first year bcom opened, the DA and AL were way too large last year so WL never got a chance. I hope that admissions shortens the DA list this year to give WL a shot.