Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.

2017-2018 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

Discussion in 'Osteopathic School-Specific Discussions' started by AlteredScale, Apr 8, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. abbsmeddoc

abbsmeddoc

Sep 13, 2017
    That’s cause all the October dates are probably filled. The October dates that were there a few minutes ago were from people that dropped their interview spots.

Texasmedins likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. UmbcPremed

UmbcPremed

Sep 11, 2016
    congrats. stats please

4. UmbcPremed

UmbcPremed

Sep 11, 2016
    stats plz. congrats

5. UmbcPremed

UmbcPremed

Sep 11, 2016
    congrats, stats

6. abbsmeddoc

abbsmeddoc

Sep 13, 2017
    3.1s, 3.39c (huge upward trend) 3.8(nonscience masters), 502. Did a video for secondary, lots of LORS (DO, MD, committee letter), lots of EC

Everything was submitted by September 17th.

UmbcPremed likes this.
  7. UmbcPremed

UmbcPremed

Sep 11, 2016
    Thank you!

8. TheWolfOfMainStreet

TheWolfOfMainStreet

Thursday
    Hey Guys!
    Accepted back in August here and wanted to say if you have any questions about the interview day or general thoughts on the school (if you're trying to decide whether to attend your interview), feel free to message me. [I will not answer any questions about the questions in the interview given the NDA they had us sign, but otherwise I'm open book]

[NOTE: I am an applicant to medical school for Fall 2018 just like many of you. I just happen to have visited the school and interviewed already so that's all I can really share with you guys. I am not a current student there.]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 8:06 AM
  9. UmbcPremed

UmbcPremed

Sep 11, 2016
    Congrtas, what were your stats? and what was your overall impression of the school and the philosophy they uphold?

10. abbsmeddoc

abbsmeddoc

Sep 13, 2017
    How did you work out the financial aid? Did you take out private loans since they don’t get federal? Would you be eligible for any loan forgiveness? Did the school provide any scholarships or grants to minimize the cost?

UmbcPremed and paramedic1986 like this.
  11. TheWolfOfMainStreet

TheWolfOfMainStreet

Thursday
    3.4 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA, 508 MCAT

The school was a lot better than I was expecting. Loved the facility and it seemed like students we spoke to were genuinely happy to be there and loving their experience too.

As to philosophy, it's hard to say given there's an inherent contradiction between the for-profit nature of the school (as evidenced by their $3000 deposit within 30 days rule) and the social justice dogma the dean was spouting (about getting docs from the local population and treating poor people).

I was accepted in August and therefore I'm an applicant for an August 2018 start just like you. Therefore, I haven't had to work out financial aid.

They told us that federal loans will likely be in place for our second year and that private lenders like Wells Fargo and Sallie Mae work with them to cover our first year.

Additionally, they told us about scholarship searching but it doesn't appear as though the institution provides any aid.

UmbcPremed likes this.
  12. coolpenguin2

coolpenguin2

Oct 5, 2017
    How long was the interview and how many interviewers were present? Did you interview multiple times with different people? Were the interviewers easy to talk to?

And does anyone know what the statistics are for interviewed vs. accepted?

Thanks!

13. TheWolfOfMainStreet

TheWolfOfMainStreet

Thursday
    30 mins with 2 people, just the once. Very conversational...we even laughed a fair bit.

14. Texasmedins

Texasmedins

Jul 18, 2017
    Thanks! 3.5Xc 3.2Xs 504

15. redking

redking

Jul 7, 2017
    Mine was a more traditional interview where there was some grilling. It seemed to depend on the interviewers that you got.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 at 3:53 PM
  16. coolpenguin2

coolpenguin2

Oct 5, 2017
    Not knowing the questions beforehand, how did you prepare for the interview? Is there anything you wish you'd done to better prepare?
    Sorry for so many questions, I'm just trying to prepare as much as possible! :help:

17. TheWolfOfMainStreet

TheWolfOfMainStreet

Thursday
    I read a prep book but ultimately the book wasn't even very useful.

Just use the school website to learn about the program and use the internet to get to know the population you will be working with.

18. HopefullyAPedsDoc

HopefullyAPedsDoc

Apr 25, 2017
    Deposit made... that was painful

Trollest and paramedic1986 like this.