2017-2018 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
my understanding of a deferred list is to make sure that school fills the entire class. It's is a med school but also a business like all schools. A lot of people dropped in the first year bcom opened, the DA and AL were way too large last year so WL never got a chance. I hope that admissions shortens the DA list this year to give WL a shot.

We all worked hard and I hope our efforts are realized one way or another - so I'm hoping for movement as well. I know I have AL stated in my email but considering the subject line says WL, I am a bit confused if AL = DA. I'm sure some concrete clarification will occur soon.

Members don't see this ad.

We all worked hard and I hope our efforts are realized one way or another - so I'm hoping for movement as well. I know I have AL stated in my email but considering the subject line says WL, I am a bit confused if AL = DA. I'm sure some concrete clarification will occur soon.

Just email Adrian. He's awesome and will clarify everything for you!

Reactions: 1 user
Just email Adrian. He's awesome and will clarify everything for you!

Thank you! I'm mostly silent on sdn, but I always like your posts because they're helpful and positive. Congrats on your acceptance, btw.
About WL, I did send him an email but am yet to hear back... I think they have another interview group 11/1 so maybe it's a bit busy. He is usually prompt otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted to ACOM today.

Pretty sure that means I'll forfeit my deposit and let BCOM know I'm not coming, but I'm gonna take the month of November to decide (since thankfully ACOM's deposit is not due till December 14)

Anyone have any pressing pros for BCOM that I should be considering?

Accepted to ACOM today.

Pretty sure that means I'll forfeit my deposit and let BCOM know I'm not coming, but I'm gonna take the month of November to decide (since thankfully ACOM's deposit is not due till December 14)

Anyone have any pressing pros for BCOM that I should be considering?
I don't know a lot about ACOM but BCOM looks like it gives students a lot of freedom fourth year with its elective rotations.

I already inquired. AL=WL, deferred=2023 class unless there is room for 2022. DA gets pulled first. WL is only pulled if DA is done. Last year all but 3 DA students were offered a seat for the 2021.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! When did you complete your secondary? And what date are you scheduled for the interview?

Congrats! When did you complete your secondary? And what date are you scheduled for the interview?
I think I was complete by the end of September. The only dates available are in January

Members don't see this ad :)
Cancelled my interview here for December 15th due to an acceptance elsewhere. Good luck everyone, hope someone gets my open spot!

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

I was wait-listed here last year, and to answer your qs they have both lists because DA is for people who they wanted to accept immediately but didn't have space for in the class, and WL is well, WL. I was WL in Nov 2016 and didn't hear back from the school till July 2017. So for those WL you won't hear back till they have completely gone through the DA list which will prob only be till the end of spring/early summer next year. Also, you didn't see the WL start moving last year because it didn't lol. They first go through all the people on the DA (which is a lot of ppl) list first and then the WL. They didn't completely finish up the DA list last year (3 people were left) so they didn't touch the waitlist last year at all. So yea, for those waitlisted unfortunately you will have to wait for interview season to end in April to hear back. And trust me, I know how much it sucks and how terrible the waiting game can be (as I said, I almost waited 10 months to hear back last year, so yeah). Hopefully this helped answer your q's :) and good luck to everyone in the process!
Well that sucks. I have an interview there early January.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

For those of you accepted, is there anything else we need to do right now besides the deposit? I thought I read everything else needs done six months or sooner before the term starts

For those of you accepted, is there anything else we need to do right now besides the deposit? I thought I read everything else needs done six months or sooner before the term starts

I️ don’t think so. I’m pretty sure the rest like you said needs to be done closer to matriculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I️ don’t think so. I’m pretty sure the rest like you said needs to be done closer to matriculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vaccinations maybe, I can't remember well but I think some of them like hep B needs to be taken in 3 or 4 doses weeks or months apart.

Are there any interview dates available in December?

Got my II last week. Earliest date available was 1/8..

I signed up for 1/8 too. I wonder if because its late in the interview cycle, will we have a higher chance of being waitlisted. If we are, we will probably be really low in that list

I signed up for 1/8 too. I wonder if because its late in the interview cycle, will we have a higher chance of being waitlisted. If we are, we will probably be really low in that list
I hope they still got some spots open. Fingers crossed.

I think the waitlist ranking is based on a point system and not when you interviewed. I might be wrong tho.

Just scheduled for my interview on 1/8. Anyone interviewing on the same day?

If anyone is giving up their spot anytime in December, please let me know :)

Hi everyone, I’m so glad how supportive and civil all the posts are - congrats to all of us!

Request: If any current BCOM students are reading the posts in this forum, I would appreciate if I could meet with one of you for a chat - I’m interviewing on Monday and am already in the area - I’m very very interested in this school and want to gather as mush info as I can; especially to get a feel not only about the student/faculty body, but also the communities the school is/will serve. I promise not to make it all about the interview questions and such, if at all.

Please let me know.
Thanks!

Interview on Nov. 29th. Anyone else?

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get an opinion. I already have an acceptance from WCUCOM, and was wondering if anyone could shed light on bcom vs wcucom, specially for those who have interviewed at both? I have an interview coming up and it’s pretty expensive to fly out to El Paso. Thanks!

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get an opinion. I already have an acceptance from WCUCOM, and was wondering if anyone could shed light on bcom vs wcucom, specially for those who have interviewed at both? I have an interview coming up and it’s pretty expensive to fly out to El Paso. Thanks!
Can you get fed loans at WCUCOM?

Just wanted to remind you guys heres the Facebook page for class of 2022 Log into Facebook | Facebook if you got accepted feel free to join, if you just want to creep around that's cool to. If you have any specific questions for class of 2020 or 2021 theres a bunch of people on there who are always willing to help.

Hey guys,

Gross anatomy is optional. Digital anatomy is taught but I am a bit concerned especially with omm which requires a good understanding of 3D structure. If you want to go into surgery you may want the school they uses cadavers in year 1. However, bcom will ensure that a student interested in surgery will get the education they need and will be provided with anatomy elective in year 3 including a cadaver.

Out of curiosity, how many people have been accepted to BCOM class of 2022?

Gross anatomy is optional. Digital anatomy is taught but I am a bit concerned especially with omm which requires a good understanding of 3D structure. If you want to go into surgery you may want the school they uses cadavers in year 1. However, bcom will ensure that a student interested in surgery will get the education they need and will be provided with anatomy elective in year 3 including a cadaver.
That part won't matter for the OMM portion. take the elective though if you're interested for sure

Withdrew my II here, hope it goes to someone who's really loving this school!:biglove:

2nd year student here. Dissecting a cadaver won't help you with OMM, and it isn't terribly useful for surgical residencies either. Ask any surgical resident if the gross anatomy they did in med school prepared them for surgery. They'll tell you no and that their residency program taught them everything they needed to know. Performing surgery on a living person is drastically different that dissecting a cadaver, it's not in any way the same skill set. The purpose of our imaging based anatomy education is that dissecting a cadaver is becoming an outdated mode of learning and these days it's really more of a right of passage. As a clinician, you will interact with diagnostic imaging on almost a daily basis, and that is the important context for your anatomy knowledge. So that's why BCOM is focusing on an imaging based anatomy curriculum rather than forcing us to spend hours every week cutting down to the pertinent structures on a cadaver. That being said, if you really feel strongly about doing the cadaver dissection, you can choose to do it as one of your elective rotations in 3rd or 4th year.

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted!!!!!
Accepted! ;)

Just had another interview at NOVA today! Hopefully I hear back from them soon so I can compare the two. It's gonna be a tough decision to make because I LOVED both campuses.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted!! With a 3.4, 499 and excellent curriculars :)