2017-2018 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmm so you think that the deferred list was just for the first two years? Because at my interview they said something to the effect of “we do have seats still open for this class so we are not building a deferred list right now” which I interpreted to mean that when they do have a full class they will start building a deferred list. But I could’ve misinterpreted so not sure
They said the same thing at my interview as well, lol did you interview Jan 26th?
Also that might be the case then I guess. I just remember at some point one of the med students walked in and said he doesn't think they have a deferred list this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes but this year they do not have a deferred list as far as I know, just a waitlist.
Would be awesome if someone can confirm this.

Reactions: 1 user
They said the same thing at my interview as well, lol did you interview Jan 26th?
Also that might be the case then I guess. I just remember at some point one of the med students walked in and said he doesn't think they have a deferred list this year.

Nope I was the 29th. We’re you waitlisted as well? Maybe they’ve changed the standards for who they accept outright because based on last year’s thread, by this time last year they were already building deferred acceptance list. Totally possible that they are approaching it slightly differently, like maybe they are being more strict on who they accept outright. Who knows

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope I was the 29th. We’re you waitlisted as well? Maybe they’ve changed the standards for who they accept outright because based on last year’s thread, by this time last year they were already building deferred acceptance list. Totally possible that they are approaching it slightly differently, like maybe they are being more strict on who they accept outright. Who knows

No I got accepted. I just wanted to say that they might not have a deferred list, which means people on the waitlist have a good chance I think. And again, I highly recommend sending a letter of intent cause that can go a long way.

Got an II today! Dates as early as next week and more availability into March

Yeah, that's always an appropriate response to doubt and uncertainty. :|
My stats are above average, and I have a solid extracurricular list. My con would be I'm from outside the southwest. So I'm definitely not from the area, but I received the secondary and am applying!
That was sarcasm. Of course you should apply. :/

Hey guys just a first year BCOM student here if you guys have any questions, feel free to PM me.

last year I was WL in Nov and they only started forming a DA list in mid-March (which is why those on the WL had no clue) so it maybe too early to tell if there is a DA list now, but I'm sure there will be one this year as well since thats usually how they do it.

Based on last year’s thread I don’t think you are correct about the date of when they started the Defferred Acceptance list. There are several comments of people in January 2017 saying the class was already full and then I see someone post on January 27th 2017 that they were deferred accepted. I’m seeing all of this on page 36 on last year’s BCOM thread.

I don't think that is correct bc last year Jan the class was def not full, I called admissions last year at this time regarding my WL status and they said they still need to fill up half of the class. Also, I meant that only in March of last year did they mention publicly to the WL people that they will first go through all the DA list before touching WL. So you won't know much about their plans until it gets later in he cycle, but I'm sure they will have a DA list forming in the next couple months once the class is completely full.

I guess moral of the story is unless you hear directly from the admissions personally you can not know for sure. I will probably end up checking in with admissions at some point in the future to get some accurate information for this year

I spoke to the admissions office early in January and she did mention they will be having a DA list.

The class isn't filled yet for those that are wondering and yes BCOM interviews people pretty late so keep your hopes up, you guys got this!

I swear BCOM interviews close to 2000 people. Like how many do they interview per week? Does anyone knows?

Members don't see this ad :)
I swear BCOM interviews close to 2000 people. Like how many do they interview per week? Does anyone knows?
Based on what I’ve seen in school, it seems like they interview people once per week. Groups are around 15-20 people. Interviews are two faculty to one applicant and last 30 minutes. Should be a pretty enjoyable day.

I interviewed in September and my group was about 25 people.

If anyone could answer a couple questions for me, I would very much appreciate it!

1. I've seen conflicting reports of what kind of laptop we get as an incoming student. Is it a Surface PRO or a Surface BOOK?

2. I've been told they have some software installed that might monitor what you are doing. Is this the case and should I still use my personal laptop instead?

3. Have you heard of any news about the interim dean and the faculty changes recently?

Thanks in advance!

If anyone could answer a couple questions for me, I would very much appreciate it!

1. I've seen conflicting reports of what kind of laptop we get as an incoming student. Is it a Surface PRO or a Surface BOOK?

2. I've been told they have some software installed that might monitor what you are doing. Is this the case and should I still use my personal laptop instead?

3. Have you heard of any news about the interim dean and the faculty changes recently?

Thanks in advance!

1. We have Surface Books.
2. They didn't say anything about that, but it's not a bad idea to use a personal laptop/computer for non-school stuff.
3. Yes, our new interim dean is Dr. Peska, who was the former dean at TCOM...comes highly regarded.

Would anyone tell me if I have a good chance of getting into this school? Also does this school screen out for low MCAT?
Stats mcat 498: 125, 121,126,126 GPA:3.96, one publication, Biochemistry major, urm Hispanic, Texas resident. For 2018-2019 cycle.

Would anyone tell me if I have a good chance of getting into this school? Also does this school screen out for low MCAT?
Stats mcat 498: 125, 121,126,126 GPA:3.96, one publication, Biochemistry major, urm Hispanic, Texas resident. For 2018-2019 cycle.
I have a friend who got accepted with a 497 and a 3.6. I myself have a lower gpa and an mcat of 499 and will be interviewing soon. I think especially with being URM you have a decent shot. This school truly does look for a diverse class. Plus being from a state that borders with NM is also a great plus in your favor. The thing that may affect your chances is how late in the cycle you apply. I know once the class is filled it definitely makes things harder.

Just got rejected this morning. I'm pretty bummed, but I didn't really enjoy my time with my interviewers and we didn't see eye to eye, so I can understand the decision. The school, students and many of the faculty were really nice from what I saw. Good luck to everyone else!

For class of 2022, we most likely will only have to take out one year of private loans if BCOM gets full accreditation in the fall?

For class of 2022, we most likely will only have to take out one year of private loans if BCOM gets full accreditation in the fall?

That’s how I understood it. Possibly only the first semester but they told me for second year to plan on federal loans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a class of 2022 facebook page? I thought we received an e-mail about it but I may have deleted it.

Hi, I am a student at BCOM if anyone has any questions feel free to message me.
Hi! I'm wondering what the financial aid package would look like at BCOM for incoming student (Fall 2018). Would the for-profit status impact our eligibility for federal loans (both subsidized and unsubsidized)?
Could you also comment more on the overall curriculum? Is there a lot of self-study/PBPL or more traditional lecture-based curriculum?

Thank you so much

Hi! I'm wondering what the financial aid package would look like at BCOM for incoming student (Fall 2018). Would the for-profit status impact our eligibility for federal loans (both subsidized and unsubsidized)?
Could you also comment more on the overall curriculum? Is there a lot of self-study/PBPL or more traditional lecture-based curriculum?

Thank you so much
No federal loans this year to my knowledge

Does anybody know if the class is full? And if so, do you know if they have started building a deferred acceptance list?

Does anybody know if the class is full? And if so, do you know if they have started building a deferred acceptance list?
Not 100% sure but I don’t believe the class is full yet. I interviewed less than two weeks ago and received an acceptance last Friday

Thank you so much

Its not the for profit status that makes the private loans necessary for the first year. They will be applying for federal loan eligibility this fall. From what I was told those should be available end of first year, or latest beginning of second year. Its just because its a new school so there is a waiting period and the school must be fully accredited prior to eligibility of federal loans. Curriculum is posted on their website as well as a better explanation of loans. i called and spoke with their financial aid department as well as their admissions staff for questions on curriculum. They were very all very helpful. So if you have any questions I would recommend calling and speaking with them. All super nice and explained things very thoroughly.

Hi folks! I just got an interview here and hope to be flying out within the next week or two. For people who had their interviews here/know the southwest. I'm trying to fly out of LGA (NY) to El Paso as cheaply as possible. Anyone have suggestions as to how?

Hi folks! I just got an interview here and hope to be flying out within the next week or two. For people who had their interviews here/know the southwest. I'm trying to fly out of LGA (NY) to El Paso as cheaply as possible. Anyone have suggestions as to how?
Use google flights. If you are flexible, you should search prices from LGA, JFK, and EWR.

Does anyone know if the class is full right now? Are they only interviewing for waitlist spots?
Haven't heard anything regarding the class being filled. Medical schools have a large amount of turnover right before the matriculation deadline, so if we are, you will see people saying they've received a "deferred acceptance". Last year people did not turnover like the school had expected, and we ended up with 2 people remaining on the DA list and never going into the waitlist at all.

lol yeah, I was waitlisted last year. I was just curious if its the same this year bc last year the class was full by this time
I was waitlisted from an interview in late February. At least 1 person from the group that interviewed the same day with me was given an acceptance. Adrian said that the waitlist this year may have some "good" movement throughout the summer. He did not specify the exact date of when they will start the movement.

Also, he states that an LOI can be sent in but once they have sent your status based 80% on your GPA and MCAT + 20% on your interview then their decision is final. Your status can only be changed by being called up from the list.

I have a friend who was waitlisted about three weeks ago and he was called last week and was offered an accepted.

Reactions: 4 users
I was waitlisted from an interview in late February. At least 1 person from the group that interviewed the same day with me was given an acceptance. Adrian said that the waitlist this year may have some "good" movement throughout the summer. He did not specify the exact date of when they will start the movement.

Also, he states that an LOI can be sent in but once they have sent your status based 80% on your GPA and MCAT + 20% on your interview then their decision is final. Your status can only be changed by being called up from the list.

Did he say if they will be building a deferred acceptance list?

Did he say if they will be building a deferred acceptance list?
No one mentioned the deferred acceptance list when I interviewed. I would email Adrian Alba about the deferred acceptance list if I were you.

When did you interview?

Last edited:
I have a friend who was waitlisted about three weeks ago and he was called last week and was offered an accepted.
Any one hear on acceptance/wait list this week? let us all keep posting as soon as we hear..

Last edited:
Whoa interesting considering the WL didn’t see movement last year. Would you happen to know his stats and did he send in an LoI?

Whoa interesting considering the WL didn’t see movement last year. Would you happen to know his stats and did he send in an LoI?
Yes I thought it was weird too. I’m not too sure about stats all I know is mcat was In the 90s so from 494-499. I suppose this gives hope to those on the WL. I also gave up my seat this week so hopefully that helps move the WL a bit more. And no LOI.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes I thought it was weird too. I’m not too sure about stats all I know is mcat was In the 90s so from 494-499. I suppose this gives hope to those on the WL. I also gave up my seat this week so hopefully that helps move the WL a bit more. And no LOI.
Whey did you give up your seat?

Waitlist movement!? :eek: Is your friend a unicorn lol. Btw where have you decided on?

Reactions: 1 users
Waitlist movement!? :eek: Is your friend a unicorn lol. Btw where have you decided on?
I know it definitely means they’re doing things differently this time. I will be attending IUSM . It was such a tough decision for me, but I’ve finally made up my mind. How about you?

Reactions: 2 users