2017-2018 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know it definitely means they’re doing things differently this time. I will be attending IUSM . It was such a tough decision for me, but I’ve finally made up my mind. How about you?
Congrats! I hear ya. That’s definitely hopeful for people on WL. I have a seat at Liberty but Bcom is close to aging family

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! I hear ya. That’s definitely hopeful for people on WL. I have a seat at Liberty but Bcom is close to aging family
That was much of my dilemma as well being closer to family at BCOM but I honestly liked LUCOM and IUSM a lot more. Have you made your decision between the two

Reactions: 1 user
That was much of my dilemma as well being closer to family at BCOM but I honestly liked LUCOM and IUSM a lot more. Have you made your decision between the two
There’s a lot to consider, but I’m happy either way. Safe answer haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is for bcom this year?

Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is for bcom this year?
August 10th! I had to email them to ask the dates for this along with the first day because I couldn't find that information on the website.

August 10th! I had to email them to ask the dates for this along with the first day because I couldn't find that information on the website.

All the info for first day of class, orientation and white coat was in an email they sent to me after acceptance. I think it was from student affairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the info for first day of class, orientation and white coat was in an email they sent to me after acceptance. I think it was from student affairs.

Oh okay! Did you get that email after you paid the deposit? All I received was the acceptance email and that was it. I haven't paid the deposit yet though.

Oh okay! Did you get that email after you paid the deposit? All I received was the acceptance email and that was it. I haven't paid the deposit yet though.

I don’t really remember. It is all running together at this point to be honest. lol

Interviewed 3/12, received acceptance email 3/16.

Reactions: 8 users
Has anyone started looking for apartments yet? or signed their lease already?

Has anyone started looking for apartments yet? or signed their lease already?
Also, how about transportation? is there a car dealer in Las Cruces close by one can buy car from? How the out of state students have been doing this in the past? any input will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, how about transportation? is there a car dealer in Las Cruces close by one can buy car from? How the out of state students have been doing this in the past? any input will be greatly appreciated!
I plan on driving my car from Illinois to new mexico!

I'm a little late to the party...
Just got II 3/21, interview is on 4/11. Anyone have tips for the interview?

I'm a little late to the party...
Just got II 3/21, interview is on 4/11. Anyone have tips for the interview?

Im wondering when the last available interview date was? Did you see?

Would any current students mind sharing their experience at BCOM? Just wanted some insight into the program and the overall student experience :)

We had to sign nondisclosure agreements before interviewing so I can't comment too much other than to say that it was a very pleasant first interview experience. From both my experience and what I heard from others, the interview is basically an opportunity for you to advocate for yourself as a prospective medical student. Just remember, if you're there, they already like you. No need to be nervous.

Also, the school and city were also a lot bigger and better than I had thought. Very impressive stuff and really bumped up the school on my priority list!
This explains why no one is responding to my cries for help and advice! Haha, good to know!

Reactions: 2 users
Would any current students mind sharing their experience at BCOM? Just wanted some insight into the program and the overall student experience :)
I’d be interested to hear about this as well.

I would like to know thoughts on not having gross anatomy in particular. Is having no gross anatomy what you wanted going in and how do you feel about it now. Do you feel like you're at an advantage or disadvantage in any way?

This explains why no one is responding to my cries for help and advice! Haha, good to know!
In case you didn't see it, I replied to your PM though I didn't give specific questions. Good Luck!

- To address some quick questions, yes, there are car dealerships in the city...you can purchased used/new cars here.
- You don't need to register your vehicle in the state to drive in the state.
- Now would be a good time to start looking for places to live and getting on waitlists...some complexes won't have an idea on availability until a current tenant gives them a 30-day notice. Don't forget you'll be moving into a city with ~160 other new OMSIs and ~30-40 FBMS students, all looking for housing.

Has anyone went through the application process yet for student loans? I’m probably gonna start going through that either end of this week or beginning of next. From what I understand the school recommends either Sallie Mae or Wells Fargo. Any current students please chime in as well as far as things to be prepared for, how long actually getting approved takes, and how likely either Sallie Mae or Wells Fargo is to require a co-signer. And any other tidbits of info you may have on that process.

Has anyone went through the application process yet for student loans? I’m probably gonna start going through that either end of this week or beginning of next. From what I understand the school recommends either Sallie Mae or Wells Fargo. Any current students please chime in as well as far as things to be prepared for, how long actually getting approved takes, and how likely either Sallie Mae or Wells Fargo is to require a co-signer. And any other tidbits of info you may have on that process.

Not yet pal.. Please let me know what the interest rate for student loans are.. thanks

Not yet pal.. Please let me know what the interest rate for student loans are.. thanks

Current student at BCOM. My interest rate with SallieMae is 5.875%. You rate may be higher or lower depending on your credit history.

Last edited:
Current student at BCOM. My interest rate with SallieMae is 5.875%. You rate may be higher or lower depending on your credit history.
How are you liking the school so far?

do any med students know if physics is taught in med school? i heard physics calculus based is taught in some medical schools, not sure.. Does Burrell curriculum has physics?

Last edited:
Current students, what is virtual anatomy like? Another school said they can take real CT scans and turn it into 3D so that it's like being able to look at multiple body types and medical conditions. Does Burrell's virtual anatomy do this too?

There is no physics class but you might get hit with physics when in neuro and a few other blocks to explain how things work. I personally like virtual anatomy I rather sit there and learn to understand scans rather than dissect a body for hours to look at one minor thing. Noni if you are interviewing here I'm sure they will show you anatomy tables which can do exactly what you are thinking of. On a side note class of 2022 you guys might have anatomy lab which is good and bad. The work load is a lot and adding a anatomy lab on top of that sounds like literal hell to me. They will have cadavers starting next semester.

Reactions: 1 users
There is no physics class but you might get hit with physics when in neuro and a few other blocks to explain how things work. I personally like virtual anatomy I rather sit there and learn to understand scans rather than dissect a body for hours to look at one minor thing. Noni if you are interviewing here I'm sure they will show you anatomy tables which can do exactly what you are thinking of. On a side note class of 2022 you guys might have anatomy lab which is good and bad. The work load is a lot and adding a anatomy lab on top of that sounds like literal hell to me. They will have cadavers starting next semester.
Thanks for the reply. I was at Burrell but the tour guide didn't know how to use the virtual anatomy tables very much so she just showed us some simple things like removing skin, muscle, and other layers. What I thought she was showing us was a "textbook" picture where every vein and artery are always placed in the same perfect position, unlike real bodies. I didn't hear anyone mention turning CT scans into 3D, making the virtual anatomy more realistic until recently at another school after I had left Burrell.

Interesting you think 2022 class might have anatomy lab. They didn't mention any hint of that. They said the cadavers they have for next semester is for the optional gross anatomy rotation in 3rd or 4th year.

Do you guys think we will hear any waitlist movement this year? I haven't heard anything about DA list

Someone, in an earlier post, stated that their friend had accepted from this cycle's waitlist. I'm not sure how true this is, but I agree with you, I haven't heard anything about a DA list either.

Current students, what is virtual anatomy like? Another school said they can take real CT scans and turn it into 3D so that it's like being able to look at multiple body types and medical conditions. Does Burrell's virtual anatomy do this too?

I took A&P in undergrad. My university had both a cadavers and a virtual anatomy lab, so I have done both. IMO learning anatomy from the cadaver is SUPERIOR. I just felt like the virtual lab was too "perfect looking". A real person is not going to be perfect looking inside. Just my 2 cents.

I took A&P in undergrad. My university had both a cadavers and a virtual anatomy lab, so I have done both. IMO learning anatomy from the cadaver is SUPERIOR. I just felt like the virtual lab was too "perfect looking". A real person is not going to be perfect looking inside. Just my 2 cents.
I was thinking the CT into 3D would negate the 'perfect looking' since it takes real scans of real people, no? The 3D image is truly what the person looks inside since it's formed from a real person. That said, I think my ideal anatomy would have both gross and virtual. I don't understand why we can't also have access to cadavers to supplement the virtual for those of us who feel we need it like ATSU SOMA especially since they're already going to have the cadavers there for the optional gross anatomy rotation in 3rd/4th year anyway.

I spoke with admission today. They said there has been absolutely no movement on the waitlist at all and there will be no movement until May 2018.

I also found this on BCOM Viewbook 2017:

ACCEPTED STUDENTS PROFILE
Average Overall GPA 3.45
Average Science GPA 3.39
Average MCAT Score 500
Female 46%
Male 54%
New Mexico Residents 9%
Minority Students 27%

Their application requirements for GPA and MCAT are:
Minimum of a 3.0 cumulative Science GPA
Minimum of a 493 on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT)

So does this mean they are expecting WL movement? Did they mention anything about a DA list?

Hey guys - sorry for the lack of replies. 1st years (me) are in Neuro and the 2nd years are freaking out over the boards. We do have some physics in the physiology department, but they reteach it as it is specific to the lecture, so don't sweat it if you're a little rusty coming in. No calculus as far as I know of. As far as liking the school: I think BCOM is a very good school, though there have been hiccups such as the OMM and the block department not communicating with each other to create the semester schedule, resulting in a couple "Hell weeks" - weeks where we have the block final, OMM written final, and the OMM practical final all within 48 hours of each other. That's hit my grades a couple of times, but the department head I spoke with was apologetic about it and I doubt such scheduling mishaps will have a significant impact for your class. Aside from a few examples of growing pains, however, I think the vast majority of them will be ironed out in time for the class of 2022 to start.

The inaugural class is going to take the boards soon and we will hopefully have the scores up by July/August. Currently, according to COMSAE, the company that does the COMLEX practice tests, the inaugural class is on track for solid board scores. With that being said, the class of 2021 (my class), not the class of 2020 will be used as the measure of our curriculum's success, as the inaugural class was the guinea pig class for the school. For our class, we are anticipating to score higher than the inaugural class, but as our curriculum is new, it's impossible to estimate exact figures.

Some advice for all of you - start reading books now, and don't pre-study (it literally does nothing). Even though our lecture material is almost exclusive to the powerpoints, having skills in reading comprehension will help you get through the volume of material.

Best of luck to you all, and welcome to BCOM!

Edit:

So does this mean they are expecting WL movement? Did they mention anything about a DA list?

I doubt there will be much waitlist movement. People who interview here tend to keep their acceptances. Also, the FBMS students who have been waitlisted are likely at the top of the list, as they are a known quantity and have taken the classes before.

The boards will test your anatomy knowledge on a computer screen. So will BCOM. With that said, cadaver dissection/prosection (not sure TBH) is a 3rd year elective if you feel that your anatomy skills need improvement.

Last edited:
For those who interviewed, how long did it take them to notify you about their decision?

For those who interviewed, how long did it take them to notify you about their decision?

I interviewed on the 20th, heard back on the 29th.

Anyone know what type of Littmann Stethoscope they recommend for incoming Bcom students? Thank you :)

Withdrawing my acceptance-- one of my favorite interviews, I can't wait to see where BCOM is in the next few years, I loved them!