2017-2018 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Awesome! Do you think they have any seats left?

I think they do, because schools usually state in the email if we are interviewing for a waitlist spot. I really hope they do have some spots. Guess we will be finding out Wednesday.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone know what type of Littmann Stethoscope they recommend for incoming Bcom students? Thank you :)
Littmann Cardio IV. Don’t buy that MDF crap, it’s second rate. Do a 3 day price comparison on Amazon and other sites and find the equipment you want to use. You’ll be using those during clinicals, residency and in private practice until they are either stolen or break, so don’t cheap out.

Edit: get the Riester oto/ophthalmoscope as most offices use disposable specula that fit Riester. Other brands may not fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone got an interview invite for 4/25 or knows the last interview for BCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview Invite 4/12 -- only interview date is 4/25 maybe that's the last date?

I have a question about the loan certification
for the accepted students in the email regarding the financial aid check list they wrote out..
"May 1: Verify with BCOM Office of Financial Aid that the private loan is certified
May 1: Read, review and electronically sign the BCOM Financial Aid Manual

Does this mean we have to basically sign our loan contract with our lender and that's accepting the loan since they want the loan certification by May 1. Is this a binding contract? like should it be viewed as accepting your loan thus processing your tuition?

ALSO
if someone isn't using a loan do they just pay their tuition July 2? and not need the loan certification???? so for everyone using a loan you're signing it on may 1?

"July 2: Tuition payments due. Those students with an approved certified loan that covers tuition and fees will not be responsible for the payment on the due date."

Thanks @A Mysterious Stranger for the write-up! Really interesting to hear from a current student's perspective and would love to hear more from you or anyone about how things are going. I've been nervous about it being a relatively new school and all but am excited to start this year.

Just now got an interview... are they still accepting students or is this an interview for the waitlist?

Just now got an interview... are they still accepting students or is this an interview for the waitlist?
I think they still have seats. What are the available dates for the upcoming interviews.

One of the employees told us during our interview (4/11) that there were still seats left.

Reactions: 1 users
I think they still have seats. What are the available dates for the upcoming interviews.

That’s good to hear! The only date was available was the 25th of April so that’s what I selected - already committed elsewhere but I would really like to go here, it’s very close to my preferred region.

Received the II email today. April 25 see ya'll there. :banana::biglove:

Interviewing 4/25, hope there are still seats left! Can anyone say what the interview day is like? Like how many different interviewers/how long?

Interviewing 4/25, hope there are still seats left! Can anyone say what the interview day is like? Like how many different interviewers/how long?
Edit: I found the Interview Day schedule they gave us so I corrected/updated some things.

It starts out with a welcome presentation, overview of the school, their mission etc.
Next were the interviews and tours. I had one 30 min interview, interviewed by 2 people. Don't remember the exact number but there were about 20 (probably 15-22 people) of us. We were split into two groups. One group received a tour while the other group interviewed for 1.5 hours and then we switch. They only interview a couple people at a time so we're then kind of subgrouped into 3 groups of 2-4 people. I was one of the 2 people to be interviewed first so then I was waiting around an hour, chatting with the other interviewees and medical students who came by to talk to us, while waiting for the other 2 subgroups to get interviewed.

When we switched, we then toured BCOM to see the sim labs, virtual anatomy, etc, drove by nearby apartments, and got a ride to the nearby undergrad to have a little tour of the undergrad. We happen to interview on a day when they brought the stress reliever dogs so that was cool. Pet two border collies and a giant white and black newfoundland.

We then reunited with the other interview group and I think we then got lunch and ate while they proceded to their presentations about the school, their curriculum (ie virtual anatomy), etc. The lunch was nice. I can't remember what exactly we had but it seemed fancy. I think it was pasta, some meat, mashed potatoes, and salad? To get the lunch, we walked in a room where all the interviewers are sitting around, about to discuss our application when we leave the room lol

Here's the schedule they gave us.
7:30am-8am Student Check In-Admissions
8:15-8:40am Welcome
8:40-8:45am Break
8:45-10:25 am Interviews & Simultaneous Tours #1
10:40-12:20pm Interviews & Simultaneous Tours #2
12:30-2pm Lunch, Presentations, Interview Day Survey

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
7:30am-8am Student Check In-Admissions

BCOM just called and said check in does begin at 7:30am. And to eat breakfast and have coffee beforehand. I will definitely need coffee to function before the interview! :woot:

Is anyone else staying at the Comfort Suites?

BCOM just called and said check in does begin at 7:30am. And to eat breakfast and have coffee beforehand. I will definitely need coffee to function before the interview! :woot:

Is anyone else staying at the Comfort Suites?

Yes got that call too! We'll have between 7:30-8:00 am to check in, plus parking will be out front for anyone driving in. Are you guys flying in to El Paso or Albuquerque?

Last edited:
I have no idea how to even start this financial package stuff. I was accepted a little over a month ago, and didn't get any emails regarding the financial loan process? I am kind of freaking out because I have no idea what I am doing and don't want to miss any deadline.
Call the financial aid office. That's why they are there

Yes got that call too! We'll have between 7:30-8:00 am to check in, plus parking will be out front for anyone driving in. Are you guys flying in to El Paso or Albuquerque?

Im flying into El Paso Texas, then driving to the hotel in the rental car. I might even drive by the school so I know how to get there in the morning.

Im flying into El Paso Texas, then driving to the hotel in the rental car. I might even drive by the school so I know how to get there in the morning.

Very nice- I wish I’d have enough time, but it I’ll make it to my hotel around 11 :(

Anyone with recommendations of fun things to do? I won’t be flying out until Thursday afternoon so a chance to explore would be great

Very nice- I wish I’d have enough time, but it I’ll make it to my hotel around 11 :(

Anyone with recommendations of fun things to do? I won’t be flying out until Thursday afternoon so a chance to explore would be great
NMSU undergrad here.

If you like hiking, there's a lot of good trails surrounding Las Cruces (as a Denver native, they're kinda meh but for a small desert town they're pretty good). The two closest are A mountain and Dripping Springs. To get to either, take University Ave eastward. For A mountain, turn right at Sonoma Ranch Blvd; for DS, keep driving for a few miles and you'll run straight into it. DS technically has two trailheads, La Cueva (the first one you'll see, on the left) and the main one (about a mile or two further). The main trailhead has a nice historical trail but it's not particularly challenging. Those are the only two I've personally done but here's a list of all the nearby trails.

There's a handful of museums, most are downtown but a couple are scattered around town. Here's a list. That link also goes to the city's Convention & Visitor's Bureau website, so poke around there for a good idea of some other things to do.

My go-to restaurants to recommend to visitors are Andele's (Mexican, Ave de Mesilla & Calle del Norte), Nopalito's (Mexican, Mesquite & Lohman), Dion's (pizza, Lohman & Roadrunner), and Caliche's (frozen custard, also Lohman & Roadrunner). Andele's technically has two locations, the regular restaurant and the Dog House, but there's really not too much difference and they're across the street from each other. I personally like the Dog House better because it's more casual and the name is quite literal if you sit outside. Honestly if you want a good Mexican restaurant, just take a drive (or stroll) through Old Mesilla and you'll find a million of them.

Las Cruces also has a lot of wineries and breweries. Neither are really my cup of tea, so I can't speak personally for any of them. For breweries, I've heard a lot of people recommend Spotted Dog (University & Ave de Mesilla) and Bosque (University & Espina), but De La Vega's/Pecan Grill (Lohman & Telshor) is a good one if you want a nice restaurant. For wineries, I've really only heard of St. Clair's (Ave de Mesilla & Laguna Dr).

Lastly, if anyone's planning on staying through the weekend, there's La Viña Wine Festival (about halfway between Las Cruces and El Paso) and opening weekend for Rent at the Center for the Arts on the NMSU campus. There's also a farmer's market on Main Street in downtown Las Cruces on Saturday mornings.

Feel free to tag me or PM me if anyone has any more questions about Las Cruces or the NMSU campus! :)

NMSU undergrad here.

If you like hiking, there's a lot of good trails surrounding Las Cruces (as a Denver native, they're kinda meh but for a small desert town they're pretty good). The two closest are A mountain and Dripping Springs. To get to either, take University Ave eastward. For A mountain, turn right at Sonoma Ranch Blvd; for DS, keep driving for a few miles and you'll run straight into it. DS technically has two trailheads, La Cueva (the first one you'll see, on the left) and the main one (about a mile or two further). The main trailhead has a nice historical trail but it's not particularly challenging. Those are the only two I've personally done but here's a list of all the nearby trails.

There's a handful of museums, most are downtown but a couple are scattered around town. Here's a list. That link also goes to the city's Convention & Visitor's Bureau website, so poke around there for a good idea of some other things to do.

My go-to restaurants to recommend to visitors are Andele's (Mexican, Ave de Mesilla & Calle del Norte), Nopalito's (Mexican, Mesquite & Lohman), Dion's (pizza, Lohman & Roadrunner), and Caliche's (frozen custard, also Lohman & Roadrunner). Andele's technically has two locations, the regular restaurant and the Dog House, but there's really not too much difference and they're across the street from each other. I personally like the Dog House better because it's more casual and the name is quite literal if you sit outside. Honestly if you want a good Mexican restaurant, just take a drive (or stroll) through Old Mesilla and you'll find a million of them.

Las Cruces also has a lot of wineries and breweries. Neither are really my cup of tea, so I can't speak personally for any of them. For breweries, I've heard a lot of people recommend Spotted Dog (University & Ave de Mesilla) and Bosque (University & Espina), but De La Vega's/Pecan Grill (Lohman & Telshor) is a good one if you want a nice restaurant. For wineries, I've really only heard of St. Clair's (Ave de Mesilla & Laguna Dr).

Lastly, if anyone's planning on staying through the weekend, there's La Viña Wine Festival (about halfway between Las Cruces and El Paso) and opening weekend for Rent at the Center for the Arts on the NMSU campus. There's also a farmer's market on Main Street in downtown Las Cruces on Saturday mornings.

Feel free to tag me or PM me if anyone has any more questions about Las Cruces or the NMSU campus! :)

That's insanely helpful, thank you so much! I think I will most likely be doing a food tour as that's always my go to anytime I travel. Good to know there's so much going on as one of my concerns was with this being mostly a college town there might not be much to do aside bars but this really puts me at ease. Thanks again!! :):)

That's insanely helpful, thank you so much! I think I will most likely be doing a food tour as that's always my go to anytime I travel. Good to know there's so much going on as one of my concerns was with this being mostly a college town there might not be much to do aside bars but this really puts me at ease. Thanks again!! :):)
Some people do complain that Las Cruces is a college town with nothing to do, but El Paso is literally 45 minutes away with tons of its own attractions. So it's not as bad as it might seem. :)

To all the accepted students: has anyone completed their immunization form which is due on May 1st? I'm kind of in a dilemma right now. I'm up to date on *mostly* everything but since they require a 2 step TB Test, my provider is having me come in 2 weeks after I had my 1st step done (which would end up being after May 1st). And for the Hep series they want, doesn't that take place over a 6 month period? Has anyone had the Hep series actually completed? Would the school make an exception for something like this? I tried calling student affairs today but I wasn't able to get a hold of anyone. I'll definitely try calling again tomorrow regarding this but just wanted to know what you guys did/if you're in the same situation as me. I'm kind of worried.

Last edited:
To all the accepted students: has anyone completed their immunization form which is due on May 1st? I'm kind of in a dilemma right now. I'm up to date on *mostly* everything but since they require a 2 step TB Test, my provider is having me come in 2 weeks after I had my 1st step done (which would end up being after May 1st). And for the Hep series they want, doesn't that take place over a 6 month period? Has anyone had the Hep series actually completed? Would the school make an exception for something like this? I tried calling student affairs today but I wasn't able to get a hold of anyone. I'll definitely try calling again tomorrow regarding this but just wanted to know what you guys did/if you're in the same situation as me. I'm kind of worried.
They may be different but my school since I came back non immune for hep B I just had to restart the sequence

Try emailing them to see if you can get an extension on the TB test. As far as hep B goes, you have to get a tier to see if you are immune or not; my result from the tier shows that I am immune to hep B, so I don't have to get the whole series of shots again. Hope that helps!

Anyone from the 4/11 interview heard anything yet? I'm sssooo anxious...

For those who interviewed 4/25/2018. Do you recall when we suppose to hear back on a decision?

For those who interviewed 4/25/2018. Do you recall when we suppose to hear back on a decision?
They said we would hear by next thursday!

Did anyone hear anything yet? I've been neurotically refreshing my email since 8 am, but to no avail :/

Okay, so I just called the school, and someone from the front desk answered. I asked to speak to anyone from the admissions office, so my call was transferred accordingly, however, no one picked my call. I'm assuming since my call was transferred, that means that the office of admissions is still opened, and there's still a possibility that we'll hear back today.

Okay, so I just called the school, and someone from the front desk answered. I asked to speak to anyone from the admissions office, so my call was transferred accordingly, however, no one picked my call. I'm assuming since my call was transferred, that means that the office of admissions is still opened, and there's still a possibility that we'll hear back today.
Or they're gone for the day and forgot about us!

Okay, so I called them again this morning and they said that the Dean received an emergency call this week, so he wasn't there to review the decisions. They're anticipating that he returns on Monday, so we should be receiving an email by Tuesday.

Okay, so I called them again this morning and they said that the Dean received an emergency call this week, so he wasn't there to review the decisions. They're anticipating that he returns on Monday, so we should be receiving an email by Tuesday.

UUHHHHGGGGGGG
lol
All this anxiety for nothing! Thanks for calling!

Yes, correct. Interviewed on 4/25 and the dean wasn't there because of an emergency. FYI: 4/25 was the last day for interviews and they were clear about seats still being open..

ADCOM meets on Wednesdays. Good luck to everyone.

Based on what I was told, we should be hearing back by tomorrow (for those who interviewed on the 11th), so best of luck everyone!

I've been writing with my chili pen since interview day, hoping it brings me luck! I imagine the 4/11 group will probably hear back Wednesday and Thursday. I think they'll just batch us with the 4/25, group.
Best of luck everyone!