2017-2018 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats!! What were your stats?
499 MCAT, 3.4 gpa (4.0 during a medical post bac though), licensed Medical professional, very little volunteering (less than 50 hrs a long time ago and nothing consistent), very little shadowing (less than 40 hrs), out of state, older, non-trad. I also applied 2 weeks before the primary deadline. I have to say, this was the first secondary app that I finally just said exactly what I wanted to say, was exactly myself, no fluff.

Members don't see this ad.

499 MCAT, 3.4 gpa (4.0 during a medical post bac though), licensed Medical professional, very little volunteering (less than 50 hrs a long time ago and nothing consistent), very little shadowing (less than 40 hrs), out of state, older, non-trad. I also applied 2 weeks before the primary deadline. I have to say, this was the first secondary app that I finally just said exactly what I wanted to say, was exactly myself, no fluff.
Thanks for sharing!! How exciting and happy to hear it worked out for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,
I just got off the waitlist but I'm having second doubts on whether or not to matriculate. I really want to become a doctor but, due to my past history with taking the MCAT and other standardized exams like the SAT, I'm not sure if I will be able to pass the boards. I had to take the MCAT twice and was only able to improve by a point, from 498 to 499. My last MCAT score breakdown was: C/P: 128, CARS: 121, B/B: 127, P/S: 123. I'm really scared of failing the boards and ending up with a huge debt with nothing to show for. I graduated college with a 3.9 GPA so I'm not worried about lecture exams. So, my question is should I proceed and matriculate now? OR should I first work on being a better standardized test taker and then reapply to medical school?
Thank you!

Hey everyone,
I just got off the waitlist but I'm having second doubts on whether or not to matriculate. I really want to become a doctor but, due to my past history with taking the MCAT and other standardized exams like the SAT, I'm not sure if I will be able to pass the boards. I had to take the MCAT twice and was only able to improve by a point, from 498 to 499. My last MCAT score breakdown was: C/P: 128, CARS: 121, B/B: 127, P/S: 123. I'm really scared of failing the boards and ending up with a huge debt with nothing to show for. I graduated college with a 3.9 GPA so I'm not worried about lecture exams. So, my question is should I proceed and matriculate now? OR should I first work on being a better standardized test taker and then reapply to medical school?
Thank you!

At the end of the day the decision is yours, you know yourself the best, do what is best for you. Ideally, ask if you can get a deferred acceptance. Everyone has doubts, but if you feel that these doubts are constantly going to linger, one extra year to prep is not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. You will get broken down and bomb a few exams here and there in medical school. If you already have doubts, this will potentiate the situation. You will NOT have time to fix these deficiencies during actual medical school. There's no time. Medical school is not something where you just want to tread water and get by. Everyone is going to tell you to go, and if this was just nerves then yes they are right. But it seems like there are some gaps and with it being this late in the cycle, you are squeaking in. Regardless of your decision, the medical school saw something in you, and eventually when you do decide to go, you will be a good doctor. Good luck

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
Thank you!

Matriculate now and take these next two years to become a better standardized test taker. If you get accepted and don't matriculate I believe the chances for getting into the same school/other DO schools again is shot.

Got the call a few min ago!!!:soexcited: There’s hope friends!

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the call. Accepted! 24 hours turn around time.

Reactions: 7 users
Hey BCOM students. What are your opinions of the school thus far? I'm contemplating canceling my interview here due to an early acceptance to another school. Any insight as to when we can get federal loans? how are the residency options? rotation sites? average board scores? etc...