2017-2018 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They called me saying if I would like to proceed with my current MCAt score, I can get reviewed on Wednesday.. if I would like to wait for my upcoming one, I will be put on hold. :/
And when did you submit your secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend that you both dress traditionally. it is going to be hot yes, but it's only for a while. Wear an undershirt before your dress shirt, and I doubt the sweat will get to your blazer by the end of the day. Better be safe than sorry
That's what I'm planning on.

Given that it's a dry heat and not a humid one I'm optimistic that I'll be able to ward off the sweat for the few minutes that I'm outside.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I'm planning on.

Given that it's a dry heat and not a humid one I'm optimistic that I'll be able to ward off the sweat for the few minutes that I'm outside.
Good luck!

They called me saying if I would like to proceed with my current MCAt score, I can get reviewed on Wednesday.. if I would like to wait for my upcoming one, I will be put on hold. :/
What did you decide on doing in the end if you don't mind me asking? I submitted my secondary on the 28th. So I am hoping that I was reviewed today as well and will hopefully get an email for a II tomorrow! Fingers Crossed!

What did you decide on doing in the end if you don't mind me asking? I submitted my secondary on the 28th. So I am hoping that I was reviewed today as well and will hopefully get an email for a II tomorrow! Fingers Crossed!
I was told that the review decisions are final once they look at the application. If someone has a pending MCAT and chooses to be reviewed, the decision will be final. Meaning if someone does not get an II but scores higher at the pending retake, the applicantion will not be reviewed again. Other issue, if the mcat is lower it the retake, it will hurt the applicant. Tough choices

Reactions: 1 users

@kliavosh said it very well. I decided to have them hold off on my application though... the decision is final, but i am confident I will score higher than my current score. i was just concerned that i may be complete late. The lady i spoke with said that although true, the class wont be full by October (when my score comes out). She also said if my retake only increases my score by like 2-3 points, it might not be worth delaying until new score, but i strongly disagree with that. an increase is an increase.
Hope this helps.

@kliavosh said it very well. I decided to have them hold off on my application though... the decision is final, but i am confident I will score higher than my current score. i was just concerned that i may be complete late. The lady i spoke with said that although true, the class wont be full by October (when my score comes out). She also said if my retake only increases my score by like 2-3 points, it might not be worth delaying until new score, but i strongly disagree with that. an increase is an increase.
Hope this helps.
Agree, the effort should count. Class fills by the beginning of January and then the deferred list interviews begin. There is always a good chance

BCOM just called me to see if I had trouble with my secondary but I never received an email from them (I checked my spam multiple times in June and July). They just emailed me the secondary and I'm pretty concerned that I am pretty late into submitting my secondary since everyone has completed their applications back in Late June and Early of July.

Do you guys think it is okay to submit it this upcoming weekend. I have it done actually but want to proofread it first.

BCOM just called me to see if I had trouble with my secondary but I never received an email from them (I checked my spam multiple times in June and July). They just emailed me the secondary and I'm pretty concerned that I am pretty late into submitting my secondary since everyone has completed their applications back in Late June and Early of July.

Do you guys think it is okay to submit it this upcoming weekend. I have it done actually but want to proofread it first.

I think it's still early enough that I would definitely submit it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Labor day seems to be the soft deadline for secondaries to be considered late, definitely submit sooner rather than later.

I agree with the rest, timewise you're fine. You definitely should send!

I'm a little late to the party but I got a II about a week ago. Who else is signed up for Sept 11?!

I'm so excited, the facilities look great, and every person on the admissions team has been fantastic!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little late to the party but I got a II about a week ago. Who else is signed up for Sept 11?!

I'm so excited, the facilities look great, and every person on the admissions team has been fantastic!
Congrats! :) I'm going in next week, but maybe we'll be classmates down the road haha

I'm assuming the interview will be in traditional format, just like it has been the last 2 years? Does anyone know? I was thinking about asking admissions.

I'm assuming the interview will be in traditional format, just like it has been the last 2 years? Does anyone know? I was thinking about asking admissions.
I think that is a super valid question considering the number of schools doing their own version of interviews (MMIs, traditional, 2/3 panel etc.) so it may be best to reach out.

From what I've read from years past, it should be traditional.

You are a physician in a rural area treating a patient who needs additional medical care that is not offered in the state. Your patient informs you that she is an undocumented alien living in the United States and risks deportation if she travels outside state lines. Do you continue to administer care? If so, how? If not, explain.

I am having trouble answering this question. I understand physicians have the duty to fulfill their hippocratic oath, but am having trouble finding solutions as medical services aren't available in the state. Could anybody help me out?

I am having trouble answering this question. I understand physicians have the duty to fulfill their hippocratic oath, but am having trouble finding solutions as medical services aren't available in the state. Could anybody help me out?
I mentioned contacting locum tenens or traveling physicians to see if they could travel to the patient.dont know if that is feasible or not, but I got an II.

There's no correct answer. It's all about understanding both sides and making an informed decision. Just explain your thought process and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 5 users
I mentioned contacting locum tenens or traveling physicians to see if they could travel to the patient.dont know if that is feasible or not, but I got an II.

when were you completed?! would you mind telling me how fast the interview turnaround was for you?

I was reading the thread from the 16-17 application year. I noticed people were finding out whether they were accepted on Wednesday evenings or Thursday mornings. Does anyone know if you are interviewing on a Wednesday if you'd find out the following Wednesday or would it be the next morning?

I was reading the thread from the 16-17 application year. I noticed people were finding out whether they were accepted on Wednesday evenings or Thursday mornings. Does anyone know if you are interviewing on a Wednesday if you'd find out the following Wednesday or would it be the next morning?
I'm guessing it's totally possible to find out in <48hrs but seeing how they've probably seen an increase in applications and thus interviews maybe they'll be more judicious, no one really knows. It's hard to say but one thing is for sure, interviewing earlier is an advantage given they operate on a rolling admissions basis and are trying to fill in seats.

Reactions: 2 users
For fellow August 21st'ers,

What are y'all doing in these last several days in order to get ready for the interview/your trip/travel etc.?

Anyone know the approximate turn around time from supplemental submission to interview invite? I sent in my secondary on 8/4 and haven't heard back

Anyone know the approximate turn around time from supplemental submission to interview invite? I sent in my secondary on 8/4 and haven't heard back
It took me a little over 3 weeks to receive my II after submission of my secondary.

What are y'all doing in these last several days in order to get ready for the interview/your trip/travel etc.?
I've just been reviewing the school's mission, their website, past threads. Watched the videos from their online accounts to get a feel for the goals they want to pursue. Then flying into El Paso the day before :) Exciting times!!

Mine took about 3 weeks from submission til the invite. The wait is torturous but you got this!

Flight, hotel, and car are taken care of so no real prepping for the trip.

For the interview itself, I'm reading an interview book and watching mocks online.

I've just been reviewing the school's mission, their website, past threads. Watched the videos from their online accounts to get a feel for the goals they want to pursue. Then flying into El Paso the day before :) Exciting times!!

It's like we're mirroring each other haha; I've been doing the same and hoping and praying that I will be able to convey my excitement for the school and NM during my actual interview.

Flight, hotel, and car are taken care of so no real prepping for the trip.

For the interview itself, I'm reading an interview book and watching mocks online.

If you don't mind, what book are you going over?

If you don't mind, what book are you going over?

The Premed Playbook Guide to the Medical School Interview: Be Prepared, Perform Well, Get Accepted (by: Ryan Gray MD)

Seems to have decent reviews on Amazon. If I finish it, I'll also be reading a similar book by Samir Desai (also available on Amazon)

Does anyone know the style of interview? Open vs closed? Panel vs. one-on-one?

Does anyone know the style of interview? Open vs closed? Panel vs. one-on-one?

I asked about the style and they mentioned it is 2 on 1, traditional. I'm assuming open and I believe it's been this way in the past but not 100% positive

Are there any pre-interview social events that are going on? I'm traveling a bit of a distance, so I want to make sure I go to everything they offer!

II!!!!! Second one of the cycle! Couldn't be more grateful.

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats! You received it just now?

When were you complete and under review?

Complete and under review 7/20, II received 8/16 :) hope this helps and good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Are there any pre-interview social events that are going on? I'm traveling a bit of a distance, so I want to make sure I go to everything they offer!
None that I know of, unless we get together and do our own makeshift SDN pre-interview social. :hello:

Will anyone be interviewing 9/29? Looks like an eventful weekend. Would love to meet some of my potential future classmates!

Interview coming up quick. I'm heading down Sunday and like I said before, I'm so down to get dinner with anyone and everyone who's going to be interviewing. PM me your number and we can get a text group going and see about meeting somewhere. See ya all soon!

Interview coming up quick. I'm heading down Sunday and like I said before, I'm so down to get dinner with anyone and everyone who's going to be interviewing. PM me your number and we can get a text group going and see about meeting somewhere. See ya all soon!

Good luck!!! :)

Sent PM!

anybody have problems submitting payment for the secondary it keeps saying error for me