2017-2018 California Northstate University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anybody speak on the demographic they're choosing to interview? I have been patient all cycle and stayed off sdn for the most part but have been losing my mind this past month. I want to be patient until at least March before freaking out too much but with a lizzy m over 75 and alot of ecs and unique things i'm just wondering what they're looking for. they're my only hope in cali.

Members don't see this ad.

I completed primary in Sept and silence....
No secondary nor rejection. Should I consider this a silent rejection at this point?

No secondary nor rejection. Should I consider this a silent rejection at this point?

No, they interview up until April. You won't receive an II until a few weeks before the interview date.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I would send them an email. They didn't send me a secondary last year until I emailed them. Still not sure why, but they interviewed and accepted me, so worth a try!

Reactions: 1 users
I would send them an email. They didn't send me a secondary last year until I emailed them. Still not sure why, but they interviewed and accepted me, so worth a try!
Thank you for your response. I will certainly email them! It sounds like it is definitely worth a try.

Does anyone remember if we put our coursework on the secondary application?

Ya we did. The pre requisites
Huh I didn’t think about this. If we get an II/acceptance, does that mean we met their prereqs? I wasn’t super sure if my writing classes fulfilled their English requirement.

Huh I didn’t think about this. If we get an II/acceptance, does that mean we met their prereqs? I wasn’t super sure if my writing classes fulfilled their English requirement.
Same that’s why I’m wondering if I need to contact them because if not I would need to take another English course soon.

Did people get confirmation that they'd received updates? Sent one Nov 29 and haven't heard back one way or the other

Did people get confirmation that they'd received updates? Sent one Nov 29 and haven't heard back one way or the other

Yeah. I sent one in yesterday and they responded two minutes later saying my update had been added to my file.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe i'm over thinking it, but the fact that their interview invite assigns you only 1 date, and says that trying to reschedule it puts your interview status in jeopardy, is extremely off-putting. Especially when the date is in December, and they have 3 months of interview slots still unfilled.

Is it that difficult to offer 2-3 dates and ask applicants to email back their top choice, or to set up a portal, like 95 percent of other schools manage to do it?

It's ironic that they want applicants to be involved in community service, research, jobs, etc... yet aren't flexible enough to guarantee an alternative interview date to an applicant they've already offered an II to.

Maybe i'm over thinking it, but the fact that their interview invite assigns you only 1 date, and says that trying to reschedule it puts your interview status in jeopardy, is extremely off-putting. Especially when the date is in December, and they have 3 months of interview slots still unfilled.

Is it that difficult to offer 2-3 dates and ask applicants to email back their top choice, or to set up a portal, like 95 percent of other schools manage to do it?

It's ironic that they want applicants to be involved in community service, research, jobs, etc... yet aren't flexible enough to guarantee an alternative interview date to an applicant they've already offered an II to.

The problem is that they only schedule interviews once a month with a larger number of applicants. So if they were to offer multiple dates, the dates would span multiple months, which would be a logistical nightmare.

The problem is that they only schedule interviews once a month with a larger number of applicants. So if they were to offer multiple dates, the dates would span multiple months, which would be a logistical nightmare.
makes sense. thanks

Has anybody heard back from the 12/8 interviews yet?

Happy New Years everyone :)

Last edited:
Nothing so far here from the Dec 8th interview!
Haven't heard anything either. Idk if that means they pushed back the notification date of if it means we're waitlisted :/. I wish their method of wait listing people wasn't complete silence

I think the whole office is out this week for winter break so I wouldn’t worry if you didn’t hear from them this week.

- M3 at CNUCOM

I think the whole office is out this week for winter break so I wouldn’t worry if you didn’t hear from them this week.

- M3 at CNUCOM

You're probably right.

It's disappointing though, since they adamantly assured us multiple times that they would not be taking the week off and that they would respond by the third Friday. This all seems to reveal disorganization and miscommunication amongst the leadership there.

So I called and they said that the last day they were in the office was last Tuesday (a week ago). They said that if you were accepted a call would've gone out on Tuesday; therefore, I am waitlisted. And surprisingly it seems like most of you who interviewed on that day are too! Strange.

Oh well. I've been accepted to my top choice already. I just wanted to see if I could get in here too.

Peace out

So I called and they said that the last day they were in the office was last Tuesday (a week ago). They said that if you were accepted a call would've gone out on Tuesday; therefore, I am waitlisted. And surprisingly it seems like most of you who interviewed on that day are too! Strange.

Oh well. I've been accepted to my top choice already. I just wanted to see if I could get in here too.

Peace out

Congrats on landing your top choice!

Who did you talk to in admissions? I’m just in a little disbelief for two reasons: they gave us a decision date that happened to be during their vacation, and nobody posted acceptances or rejections here. :\

Congrats on landing your top choice!

Who did you talk to in admissions? I’m just in a little disbelief for two reasons: they gave us a decision date that happened to be during their vacation, and nobody posted acceptances or rejections here. :\
I know, I am too! I don't remember her name... There was an initial lady who then transferred me to another lady, so I'm assuming she knew who to send me too. IDK, I'd really appreciate it if someone else called to double check and posted their response here. Wanna do that?

Or maybe we're just :beat:

I know, I am too! I don't remember her name... There was an initial lady who then transferred me to another lady, so I'm assuming she knew who to send me too. IDK, I'd really appreciate it if someone else called to double check and posted their response here. Wanna do that?

Or maybe we're just :beat:
I tried calling but couldn't get through to anyone. Honestly I feel like so many of these problems could be solved if they just gave a notification for waitlist haha

The office just responded to my email.

“Thank you for your interest with California Northstate University College of Medicine.

In response to your email below, if you have not heard from us within 3 weeks after your interview date that means you’re on the waitlist. Please do not be discourage as our waitlist changes daily. We will notify you if your status change.

Best wishes,

CALIFORNIA NORTHSTATE UNIVERSITY“

The office just responded to my email.

“Thank you for your interest with California Northstate University College of Medicine.

In response to your email below, if you have not heard from us within 3 weeks after your interview date that means you’re on the waitlist. Please do not be discourage as our waitlist changes daily. We will notify you if your status change.

Best wishes,

CALIFORNIA NORTHSTATE UNIVERSITY“

CNU Admissions Faculty 1 - "Oh shoot, hey Jill."

CNU Admissions Faculty 2 - "What?"

CNU Admissions Faculty 1 -
"I just realized that we told them we'd respond by the third Friday, but I totally forgot that we're not in the office then!"

CNU Admissions Faculty 2 -
"Oh, boy. This isn't good. What are we going to do?"

CNU
Admissions Faculty 1 -
"I have no idea..."

CNU
Admissions Faculty 2 -
"Hey, I got an idea!"

CNU
Admissions Faculty 1 -
"What? Anything is better than nothing!"

CNU
Admissions Faculty 2 -
"Since we never responded, let's just pretend like we waitlisted ALL of them. That way they won't know that we totally forgot, and we can use the next week to 'take them off the list' by rejecting or accepting them."

CNU
Admissions Faculty 1 -
"Brilliant!"

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an II here, was assigned to 1/19. Won't be going but good luck to all of you!

Also II for Jan 19th. Submitted secondary in July. Definitely came as a surprise, but a welcome one!

Look at all these guys getting accepted from my interview group. Also interviewed on Dec. 8, accepted today. That whole packet of papers they send to fill out is a little intimidating.

Hello everyone!

My first med school interview is coming up at CNUCOM. I would like to learn about their interview process. From what I heard, it will be primarily MMI format with some traditional interview questions. Still, I would like to gather as much info as possible so that I know exactly what to expect (I get very nervous during interviews and want to make sure I am extremely prepared). Responses to any of my questions and ANY general advice you may have would make my day!

For those who have already interviewed at CNUCOM...

How was interview day structured?

How many people interviewed you?

What type of questions did they ask? (examples of specific questions would be helpful)

Is there anything you wish you did to better prepare for the interview?

Where any curveballs thrown at you during the interview?

What was the nature of the interview (relaxed, chill, formal, strict, etc)?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

1. what is the pre-secondary screening?

2. what kind of student is CNU look for, particularly?

IS pre-secondary rejection before. Looking to improve my application towards CNU. Thanks!

Hello everyone!

My first med school interview is coming up at CNUCOM. I would like to learn about their interview process. From what I heard, it will be primarily MMI format with some traditional interview questions. Still, I would like to gather as much info as possible so that I know exactly what to expect (I get very nervous during interviews and want to make sure I am extremely prepared). Responses to any of my questions and ANY general advice you may have would make my day!

For those who have already interviewed at CNUCOM..

You have some breakfast at the beginning followed by a couple hours of presentations (dean, financial aid, etc.), then lunch with students then the interview. I definitely can't give you any specific questions, but the questions range so I would just prepare as if it was a standard MMI. The MMI is supposed to have a very strict format, but it really depends on the interviewers.

I interviewed on 12/8 and haven't heard anything so I believe I'm waitlisted! Do any of you know how CNUCOM feels about LOI's and updates for those on the waitlist? This is my top choice school and I'm trying to do anything I can at this point to get off that waitlist.

You have some breakfast at the beginning followed by a couple hours of presentations (dean, financial aid, etc.), then lunch with students then the interview. I definitely can't give you any specific questions, but the questions range so I would just prepare as if it was a standard MMI. The MMI is supposed to have a very strict format, but it really depends on the interviewers.

Thank's for your response! Do you (or anyone else reading this) have any advice on how to best prepare for an MMI?

Also, on CNUCOM's website they mention their interview day consists of "MMI and Dialogue Interview Training".... What is Dialogue Interview Training??

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Current student trying to help out

9:00a – 9:15a Candidate Introductions
9:15a – 9:30a Welcome Message by California Northstate University College of Medicine Dean
9:30a – 9:45a Overview of Medical Education Program
9:45a- 10:05a Student Affairs Update
10:05a – 10:15a BREAK FOR CANDIDATES
10:15a- 10:45a Candidate Interview Training
10:45a – 11:00a College Masters Program
11:00a – 11:15a CNU Financial Aid Info
11:15a – 11:30a Medical Corp Health Professions Scholarship Program Info
11:30a – 12:00p Admissions: What Happens Next/Elk Grove Housing/Sizing/Dietary/Demographics
12:00p – 1:00p Lunch for Candidates with COM Faculty and Students
1:00p – 1:10p Re-Explanation of process-clipboards-papers-stickers
1:10p – 2:30p Interviews

How many people interviewed you? Should be 6 (3 faculty 3 current students)

What type of questions did they ask? (examples of specific questions would be helpful)
Definitely not allowed to give specific questions. Be prepared to answer MMI style ethics questions and standard interview q's (tell me about yourself/greatest strengths/ etc.)

Would recommend reading the uwash bioethics website, watching the columbia mmi video (about an hour), and practicing MMI prompts with a friend/family member giving feedback.

Didn't have any last year and don't think that's our style, so probably not this year.

Think we're pretty standard or maybe slightly to the more relaxed side. Everyone is very friendly here.

MMI and dialogue interview training just means getting ready for the session. It's a combination MMI and dialogue type questions.

Hope this helps.

Current student trying to help out

9:00a – 9:15a Candidate Introductions
9:15a – 9:30a Welcome Message by California Northstate University College of Medicine Dean
9:30a – 9:45a Overview of Medical Education Program
9:45a- 10:05a Student Affairs Update
10:05a – 10:15a BREAK FOR CANDIDATES
10:15a- 10:45a Candidate Interview Training
10:45a – 11:00a College Masters Program
11:00a – 11:15a CNU Financial Aid Info
11:15a – 11:30a Medical Corp Health Professions Scholarship Program Info
11:30a – 12:00p Admissions: What Happens Next/Elk Grove Housing/Sizing/Dietary/Demographics
12:00p – 1:00p Lunch for Candidates with COM Faculty and Students
1:00p – 1:10p Re-Explanation of process-clipboards-papers-stickers
1:10p – 2:30p Interviews

How many people interviewed you? Should be 6 (3 faculty 3 current students)

Definitely not allowed to give specific questions. Be prepared to answer MMI style ethics questions and standard interview q's (tell me about yourself/greatest strengths/ etc.)

Would recommend reading the uwash bioethics website, watching the columbia mmi video (about an hour), and practicing MMI prompts with a friend/family member giving feedback.

Didn't have any last year and don't think that's our style, so probably not this year.

Think we're pretty standard or maybe slightly to the more relaxed side. Everyone is very friendly here.

MMI and dialogue interview training just means getting ready for the session. It's a combination MMI and dialogue type questions.

Hope this helps.

Thank you SO much! Your response was very thorough. I was nervous about interview day because I had a lot of questions about how it would be conducted, and you really helped clarify everything. I am actually excited for this interview. I enjoy responding to ethics questions. I think it'll be fun.

I have one more question - is there a lot on politics/current healthcare system? If you're not allowed to answer, then no worries I completely understand. :)

Thank you SO much! Your response was very thorough. I was nervous about interview day because I had a lot of questions about how it would be conducted, and you really helped clarify everything. I am actually excited for this interview. I enjoy responding to ethics questions. I think it'll be fun.

I have one more question - is there a lot on politics/current healthcare system? If you're not allowed to answer, then no worries I completely understand. :)

Glad to help, and you should be excited! I would focus on general challenges in healthcare today more than any specific political or systematic details.

Has anyone recieved a pre-II rejection?

Anyone filling out the paperwork see how many academic credits are each year? I can't find it in their catalogue.