2017-2018 California Northstate University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have not heard any news from CNUCOM since submitting my secondary in July (no II's or anything). Should I just assume that I was silently rejected? Slash are they offering any more interview invitations?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone been rejected or heard anything other than acceptance post-interview yet? Or is everyone just waiting in silence too? :dead:

Reactions: 1 users
+1 radio silence. Only one person was accepted from 3/2 interview last week.And 1 person from 2/9 got accepted last week as well. Called and said they have not decided on my app yet and I can call next week again if I want

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 radio silence. Only one person was accepted from 3/2 interview last week.And 1 person from 2/9 got accepted last week as well. Called and said they have not decided on my app yet and I can call next week again if I want
Theyve been saying that to me for two weeks now -___-

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to all those who are accepted, and goodluck to all those waiting. Looks like they're interviewing through April cause I have an interview coming up. Any tips and tricks on how to prepare for this?

Has anyone been rejected or heard anything other than acceptance post-interview yet? Or is everyone just waiting in silence too? :dead:

Theyve been saying that to me for two weeks now -___-

I think it's safe to say that at this point, if you have not received an acceptance or rejection, you are effectively on the waitlist. Stay strong, it's going to be a long ride. This late in the game, I would guess that the waitlist will move as acceptances are acted upon (confirmed or declined). When I received my acceptance on 3/26, I was given a hard deadline of April 10 (2 weeks) for submission of my enrollment agreement. The adcom has also continually stated that they meet at least once weekly to go over who has submitted EAs, who has declined or failed to communicate their intent to matriculate, who has withdrawn applications, etc and reevaluate the waitlist file by file.

I would not be surprised if nothing went out between now and Mid-May (3ish weeks after the April interview date). I would also not be surprised if they sent out a few more acceptances on April 10-11-12-13.

Congrats to all those who are accepted, and goodluck to all those waiting. Looks like they're interviewing through April cause I have an interview coming up. Any tips and tricks on how to prepare for this?

I believe if you backread, someone posted the format of the day. It is a modified MMI format with both scenario and traditional interview elements, so this late in the cycle, I would expect most applicants to be both familiar with and ready for the actual interview.

I think it's safe to say that at this point, if you have not received an acceptance or rejection, you are effectively on the waitlist. Stay strong, it's going to be a long ride. This late in the game, I would guess that the waitlist will move as acceptances are acted upon (confirmed or declined). When I received my acceptance on 3/26, I was given a hard deadline of April 10 (2 weeks) for submission of my enrollment agreement. The adcom has also continually stated that they meet at least once weekly to go over who has submitted EAs, who has declined or failed to communicate their intent to matriculate, who has withdrawn applications, etc and reevaluate the waitlist file by file.

I would not be surprised if nothing went out between now and Mid-May (3ish weeks after the April interview date). I would also not be surprised if they sent out a few more acceptances on April 10-11-12-13.

I believe if you backread, someone posted the format of the day. It is a modified MMI format with both scenario and traditional interview elements, so this late in the cycle, I would expect most applicants to be both familiar with and ready for the actual interview.

Do you know if they send confirmation of receipt of your enrollment paperwork?

Do you know if they send confirmation of receipt of your enrollment paperwork?

I physically went to the Business Office and personally dropped off my paperwork and deposit in a manila envelope on Apr 3 and received an email confirmation on Apr 4.

If you sent yours via US Mail, I hope you opted for delivery confirmation number or priority mail with tracking. My advice would be 2-3 days after the tracking number indicates a completed delivery, if you have not yet received confirmation, contact the business office via the number they provided in your acceptance email and appraise them of the situation.

I physically went to the Business Office and personally dropped off my paperwork and deposit in a manila envelope on Apr 3 and received an email confirmation on Apr 4.

If you sent yours via US Mail, I hope you opted for delivery confirmation number or priority mail with tracking. My advice would be 2-3 days after the tracking number indicates a completed delivery, if you have not yet received confirmation, contact the business office via the number they provided in your acceptance email and appraise them of the situation.
WhT wS the email confirmation you got?? I got one that they received my financial aid documents.thats it right?

WhT wS the email confirmation you got?? I got one that they received my financial aid documents.thats it right?

I got two emails actually. One from the Financial Aid Office stating they received the financial aid documents, and one from the Business Office for the other documents (enrollment agreement, fact sheet, deposit)

O
I got two emails actually. One from the Financial Aid Office stating they received the financial aid documents, and one from the Business Office for the other documents (enrollment agreement, fact sheet, deposit)
Oh I see that one. Ook good! Just checking thanks!

I called a few days ago and she said a decision wasn’t made on me yet (3/2 interview) and that I was welcome to call back next week, so i’m not sure that if means me, and a lot of others, are waitlisted just yet. Positive thoughts for everyone still waiting :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone ever heard of this school having an alternate list (something different than the waitlist)

Does anybody know what rotation electives are available for 4th year students? Their website mentions a course selection book but I can't find it anywhere. And if I wanted to do an "away" rotation, how hard are those to acquire? Thanks!

Does anyone know if they accept letters of interest or intent, and if so is it too late to send one?

Can someone from 4/20 interview tell us when they would be making decisions please? Is it the usual 3 weeks? Thank you

Can someone from 4/20 interview tell us when they would be making decisions please? Is it the usual 3 weeks? Thank you
They said it would probably be 3 weeks but could be longer. Also I heard there's still another interview date left, on May 11 apparently.

Submitted a letter of intent on March 5th after interviewing on the second. Received an email last night that they received my letter and would be adding it to my file. Clearly slow to reply to emails so I suggest calling after submitting a letter to them to make sure they got it/opened the email

Wow way out of left field I had submitted my final deposit for an OOS school and was about to sign a lease agreement and just received an interview from here for the 11th after asking them about my file.

Last edited:
Wow way out of left field I had submitted my final deposit for an OOS school and was about to sign a lease agreement and just received an interview from here for the 11th after interviewing them about my file.
what do you mean interviewing them about your file?

what do you mean interviewing them about your file?

I had not heard anything post secondary after submitting in July and I emailed them a couple of days ago about it and after getting the file is under review I received the interview invite.

Accepted today, February interview, but I'll be turning it down next week. Good luck everyone

Accepted from the Waitlist this afternoon via email!

Is anyone in this situation?
I am currently on two other waitlists.

CNU called to let me know they haven't received my request for a loan yet, but I don't want to request a loan if I end up going elsewhere. Is the loan process not a guarantee that you are taking them out? You just apply and they receive a request anyway?

CNU called to let me know they haven't received my request for a loan yet, but I don't want to request a loan if I end up going elsewhere. Is the loan process not a guarantee that you are taking them out? You just apply and they receive a request anyway?

I requested a Sallie Mae loan and they approved it very quickly. Once approved they give you 30 days to accept it I think. If you email the financial aid office and let them know that you are waiting to accept the terms that should work for them (they'll add the info to your file).

I have the same dilemma. When I spoke to the school, CNU said that they don't actually get the disbursement for the loan until three or four weeks prior to the start of school and that we have until a week prior to the disbursement date (I think it was around the last week of June or first week of July?). So you can request and accept the loan terms, and then cancel it if you need to, as long as it's before the disbursement date.

EDIT: CNU told me to accept the loan even if I may not go through with it

I have the same dilemma. When I spoke to the school, CNU said that they don't actually get the disbursement for the loan until three or four weeks prior to the start of school and that we have until a week prior to the disbursement date (I think it was around the last week of June or first week of July?). So you can request and accept the loan terms, and then cancel it if you need to, as long as it's before the disbursement date.

EDIT: CNU told me to accept the loan even if I may not go through with it
Ok thanks for that advice. It just makes me nervous Idon't want to like sign up and be tied to the loan. I haven't looked THAT much into it but I guess I need to.

ACCEPTED. 3/2 interview

Ok thanks for that advice. It just makes me nervous Idon't want to like sign up and be tied to the loan. I haven't looked THAT much into it but I guess I need to.
Yeah I'm pretty nervous about it too. I'm just thinking it'll all work out in the end haha

Out of curiosity I have not interviewed yet but did they mention the possible availability of federal loans in the near future? I know there was talk that it would take until the graduation of the first full class and if I am reading correctly that will occur spring of next year.

Out of curiosity I have not interviewed yet but did they mention the possible availability of federal loans in the near future? I know there was talk that it would take until the graduation of the first full class and if I am reading correctly that will occur spring of next year.
I emailed the financial aid office about that and they were very vague. They said "as of today, there is no word if CNU will get into participating with Title IV". But I just checked their pharm school page and since they're accredited, it says they're beginning the application process to be a part of the federal student aid programs. So if they did it for the pharm school, maybe they'll do it for the med school?

The school has already been eligible. However, they have elected not to sign up for Title IV loans. Do not plan or bank or hope on this school ever having them. It might sound harsh but I'd like to nip this in the bud. I appreciate the opportunity to go to school here. We (students) would all like federal loans, but Title IV isynot going to happen. If federal loans are critical to you, you're going to have a bad time. The private loans are not really too bad in the end, as long as you have good credit.

I emailed the financial aid office about that and they were very vague. They said "as of today, there is no word if CNU will get into participating with Title IV". But I just checked their pharm school page and since they're accredited, it says they're beginning the application process to be a part of the federal student aid programs. So if they did it for the pharm school, maybe they'll do it for the med school?

Can you post or DM a link to where you see that?

Wait, I do see that in one place. From all conversations I've had, this is not happening (for COM or COP).

I've emailed the financial aid office requesting to clarify or fix that page.

Last edited:

The school wants to make sure you'll have a way to pay since they're saving a spot for you.

You can always turn it down. If you do, the only ding will be the small hit on your credit report from when the loan agency ran your credit.

The school has already been eligible. However, they have elected not to sign up for Title IV loans. Do not plan or bank or hope on this school ever having them. It might sound harsh but I'd like to nip this in the bud. I appreciate the opportunity to go to school here. We (students) would all like federal loans, but Title IV isynot going to happen. If federal loans are critical to you, you're going to have a bad time. The private loans are not really too bad in the end, as long as you have good credit.

Can you post or DM a link to where you see that?

Wait, I do see that in one place. From all conversations I've had, this is not happening (for COM or COP).

I've emailed the financial aid office requesting to clarify or fix that page.

It was so much as federal loans being critical but it would be nice to be able to qualify for the different repayment programs as well as I receive an educational award grant for a term of service I am completing that is only eligible for schools that are Title IV. I recall them not signing the ability to have federal loans based on something about private loans having competitive interest rates. Which although true it would be great if that would be up to the students to decide which method of financing they would like to use.

It was so much as federal loans being critical but it would be nice to be able to qualify for the different repayment programs as well as I receive an educational award grant for a term of service I am completing that is only eligible for schools that are Title IV. I recall them not signing the ability to have federal loans based on something about private loans having competitive interest rates. Which although true it would be great if that would be up to the students to decide which method of financing they would like to use.
I heard from a recent student that they actually are now able to qualify for repayment programs.

Agreed, it would be nice to have the option. But yea, unfortunately anything that requires Title IV will not go through here. As far as the federal loan forgiveness programs... they'll still be around in ten years for med students at other schools hopefully? but their future is uncertain as they could easily be restricted or cut from the federal budget or limited to a certain income.

I heard from a recent student that they actually are now able to qualify for repayment programs.

Are you referring to loan forgiveness programs? Those aren't available here. There is a program for deferring repayment during residency which you might be talking about?

Can someone tell me which lender is better IHELP OR SALLIE MAE? And if you know the differences can someone please help me ? Thanks. I got a lower rate with IHELP but is there some benefit to a sallie mae?

Can someone tell me which lender is better IHELP OR SALLIE MAE? And if you know the differences can someone please help me ? Thanks. I got a lower rate with IHELP but is there some benefit to a sallie mae?

There are number of options for each so it's hard to say without seeing exactly what you are looking at. You have to look at your individual offers from each to decide. Things to consider: disbursement fee, fixed vs variable rate, deferment options in residency, co-signer requirement and release, forgiveness for death/disability. I went with Sallie Mae FWIW.

There are number of options for each so it's hard to say without seeing exactly what you are looking at. You have to look at your individual offers from each to decide. Things to consider: disbursement fee, fixed vs variable rate, deferment options in residency, co-signer requirement and release, forgiveness for death/disability. I went with Sallie Mae FWIW.
Thank you for that. I wanted to choose Sallie Mae but ihelp has a new program that just came out for 6.9% specifically for docs and it is 2% lower than SM . That translates to almost $100,000 in my pocket over the life of the loan plus unlike other ihelp loans there is not a disbursement fee.
I originally filled out papers with CNU for Sallie Mae and called the school and explained the better rate and she said go for it. It’s way early and as long as it did not fund I was ok.
She explained they just added it last week so it it worth it for any of you to switch for that kind of saving. This is like a federal loan with this rate.
So happy I found it. Thank you for your help.

Thank you for that. I wanted to choose Sallie Mae but ihelp has a new program that just came out for 6.9% specifically for docs and it is 2% lower than SM . That translates to almost $100,000 in my pocket over the life of the loan plus unlike other ihelp loans there is not a disbursement fee.
I originally filled out papers with CNU for Sallie Mae and called the school and explained the better rate and she said go for it. It’s way early and as long as it did not fund I was ok.
She explained they just added it last week so it it worth it for any of you to switch for that kind of saving. This is like a federal loan with this rate.
So happy I found it. Thank you for your help.
Didn’t you say that I help has a max or something in the Cal Med thread?

Didn’t you say that I help has a max or something in the Cal Med thread?
Yes $250.000 max but you can go somewhere else for a loan each year of school. Is that what you mean?
I can only worry about this year. When you max out if you stay with them for approx 3 years you can go to Sallie Mae or by then there will be more options. The school will only certify you for $88,XXX max

Last edited: