2017-2018 California University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Docmkr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The California University of Science and Medicine-School of Medicine is now accepting applications for Fall 2018. We are listed on AMCAS and are located in beautiful Southern California. For more information please see our website.
#1 (250 words)
If you were working on a small group project and you thought that another student wasn’t meeting his/her responsibility, how would you feel about this situation and how would you handle it?

#2 (250 words)
Sometimes it is necessary to work in unsettled or rapidly changing circumstances. When you have you found yourself in this position? Tell us exactly what you did.

#3 (250 words)
If given the opportunity to attend medical school, where would you see yourself in ten years?

#4 (250 words)
Diversity comes in many forms. How do you think you might contribute to the diversity of the class?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Any thoughts on going here vs. an established DO school?

Reactions: 1 users
We do not send a Secondary App (SA) to everyone. We did not feel it appropriate to send the SA to people who had little chance of being competitive in the applicant pool, plus there is a $100 fee required to submit it. Thanks!

Reactions: 7 users
We do not send a Secondary App (SA) to everyone. We did not feel it appropriate to send the SA to people who had little chance of being competitive in the applicant pool, plus there is a $100 fee required to submit it. Thanks!
Are you part of the admissions? What’s your role?

when will the first secondaries be sent out?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Will tuition be free for the inaugural class (like Nova Southeastern and Carle Illinois)?

Will tuition be free for the inaugural class (like Nova Southeastern and Carle Illinois)?
Unfortunately, we are not in the enviable position of fully funding the inaugural class at this time. We will have a limited number of both need-based and merit-based scholarships available. I'll have more information to provide on the scholarships available in a few weeks. Thanks!

Your website says 3 letters of recommendation required but doesn't specify who the letters should be from. Can you specify? Professors, Volunteer coordinators, etc?

Edit: NVM just saw you guys aren't giving out scholarships.

Last edited:
Anyone know if there will be research opportunities here? Can't seem to find much on the website.

Submitted primary. I️t seems so late in the cycle, if we are accepted will we know before April 30th?

What's the grading? Pass fail? Lectures recorded? Attendance mandatory? Where are the rotation sites?

Sorry I don't see a ton on your website.

Anyone know if there will be research opportunities here? Can't seem to find much on the website.

Taken from the Facilities tab under Student Life on their website:

Research
A fully-equipped modular laboratory with 3290 sq. ft. of space will facilitate collaborative basic science research. For clinical and translational research, Arrowhead Regional Medical Center (ARMC) currently supports clinical trials funded by pharmaceutical companies and/or biotechnology companies that involve clinicians within the hospital who will have faculty appointments in the medical school. There will be collaborative research work between clinical and basic science faculty at CUSM-SOM (CalMed) and ARMC, and both entities provide regulatory support for the conduct of clinical research. Students and faculty will be able to join basic and clinical research projects. In the new medical school building in Colton, the research lab will have 7400 sq. ft. of space.

I was wondering about this as well and so far I can't find anything that leads into anymore detail than this description of the facilities.

Submitted primary. I️t seems so late in the cycle, if we are accepted will we know before April 30th?

From their website:

Acceptance
The acceptance decision will be communicated to the candidates in the form of the CalMed Acceptance Letter. A registration deposit ($100, refundable until April 30) is due within seven (7) days of receipt of the Acceptance Letter. ‘Accepted’ applicants will be sent an acceptance letter by U.S. mail and via an email from the Office of Student Affairs and Admissions. The accepted applicants will be advised to ‘Accept’ the offer within 7 days to reserve their place in the incoming class.

Wait List
All applicants placed on the wait list will be informed by a letter from the Office of Student Affairs and Admissions via U.S. mail within 2 weeks of the committee’s decision.

The acceptance process will repeat after each interview cycle until the incoming class is filled. If there are still positions available in the incoming class after May 15 of the matriculation year, then the applicants who have been placed on the waitlist will be offered positions in numbers sufficient to fill the incoming class.

Rejections
All applicants who were neither accepted nor waitlisted will be informed of their status by a letter from the Office of Student Affairs and Admissions via U.S. mail within 2 weeks of the committee's decision.

As far as how much time you might expect for a decision pre-II:

How long after my application is complete should I expect a response?
– Turn-around time is generally three weeks and may vary at different stages in the application cycle.Please be assured that every application is individually reviewed prior to committee decision.

And from the Notification of Decisions section:

Applicants are typically notified of decisions regarding their applications within three weeks of the review of their submission, though this may vary depending on the number of applications currently being processed.

I'm assuming these are pertaining to pre-II in regards to receiving an II.

Having read all of that it seems you would know before April 30th if you attend an II within 6 weeks (halfway through April) but this is also dependent on how often the adcom meets which could shorten this time-frame. However, they did just open up to primary applications on February 14th so it seems they will be interviewing through May. I believe May 1st is the cut off for primary apps for them if I remember correctly, and May 15th (according to the website) is when they'll start considering their waitlisted applicants if seats open up.

How long after my application is complete should I expect a response?
– Turn-around time is generally three weeks and may vary at different stages in the application cycle.Please be assured that every application is individually reviewed prior to committee decision.

LOL. That's what Nova said too, and it's been almost three months. We shall see.

Reactions: 2 users
There will be no federal loans for at least 2 years. They anticipate 2-4 years without federal loans being available to students.

Reactions: 3 users
this is a big turnoff
I'm not too big of a fan of the temporary building, the location, the somewhat high cost of living for what you're paying for (high crime and poverty areas nearby,) lack of housing options for students, no federal loans. I do, however, like their mission and their teaching hospital.

Last edited:
It's hard to imagine that it would be possible for them to enroll anywhere close to a full class without students being able to receive federal loans...

Reactions: 2 users
There will be no federal loans for at least 2 years. They anticipate 2-4 years without federal loans being available to students.

Wait... ~$50k a year and we wouldn't be able to take out federal loans? If this is true this is a huge concern. I've only ever taken out federal student loans and received scholarships to attend school, I'm not sure how else one would pay for it. Especially since they don't seen to be giving out much in the way of scholarships.

Would we have to take out a loan via a bank or something? That's the only thing I can think of.

It's hard to imagine that it would be possible for them to enroll anywhere close to a full class without students being able to receive federal loans...

This is my first thought as well. Without full scholarships provided to the first class, no federal loans and the fact that its already late in the application cycle in general, if whats being said here is true... then I'm not sure how they could fill a 60 seat class. Maybe there are enough loaded Cali kids out there that didn't manage to get in anywhere else?

No federal loans is a deal breaker.

Reactions: 4 users
This is my first thought as well. Without full scholarships provided to the first class, no federal loans and the fact that its already late in the application cycle in general, if whats being said here is true... then I'm not sure how they could fill a 60 seat class. Maybe there are enough loaded Cali kids out there that didn't manage to get in anywhere else?

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me.

No federal loans is a deal breaker for me too. I guess I wasted $39 lol

Reactions: 3 users
is this information credible about the loans?

Yep, $58,5000 after fees. no federal loans. I was concerned after I read their financial aid section on their website. You’ll find that they don’t mention anything about federal loans. This has been confirmed.

It’s not that hard to find 60 students willing to take non federal loans. I’ve recently been accepted to a school that doesn’t have approval for federal loans yet so honestly it’s not too far off for me. I wish they would have their building built a little faster. Two years in a building next to UEI college is kind of a bummer for me too:( that high of a tuition and you can’t even enjoy the brand new facilities they anticipate building.

Last edited:
Yep, $58,5000 after fees. no federal loans. I was concerned after I read their financial aid section on their website. You’ll find that they don’t mention anything about federal loans. This has been confirmed.

It’s not that hard to find 60 students willing to take non federal loans. I’ve recently been accepted to a school that doesn’t have approval for federal loans yet so honestly it’s not too far off for me. I wish they would have their building built a little faster. Two years in a building next to UEI college is kind of a bummer for me too:( that high of a tuition and you can’t even enjoy the brand new facilities they anticipate building.
Did they explain why students will not be eligible for federal loans?

Did they explain why students will not be eligible for federal loans?

It’s because the school doesn’t have full accreditation yet because it’s new. Every new school goes brought this. I have a coworker who goes to Cal Northstate and she had to get private loans because there’s was no federal aid offered because it was a new school.

It’s because the school doesn’t have full accreditation yet because it’s new. Every new school goes brought this. I have a coworker who goes to Cal Northstate and she had to get private loans because there’s was no federal aid offered because it was a new school.

Do you know what differences there may be in terms of repayment with private vs federal aid loans?

Do you know what differences there may be in terms of repayment with private vs federal aid loans?

with private you cannot qualify for public service loan forgiveness or any income-based repayment plans.