2017-2018 California University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! Roughly 10 others; one other interview.
Nice! Well that's great that you went for it and it paid off.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
II! First one of the season!! Scheduled for 5/4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed today. It was pretty dope. I was really impressed by the art and medicine aspect of their curriculum as well as the part on nutrition. They faculty really do make you feel at home. As with others my interview was basically just talking about my AMCAS. They said we may hear back next week but to expect at least two weeks. Considering the facilities are temporary, I was really impressed by how much they invested on making the facilities pretty good. If anyone has any questions I'd be more than happy to answer.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted, my friends! An absolute surprise to say the least.

OOS, LizzyM ~65

Interview was March 30th

Reactions: 10 users
Did they send you a link to the portal in the acceptance email?

No, but they said more information would be on its way soon though. I didn't even know about the portal until coming here and seeing people talk about it, haha.

Holy crap! Accepted, didn't see the email until this morning! OOS

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
congrats to all who are accepted! Anyone not from the 3/30 group receive an acceptance yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed today. It was pretty dope. I was really impressed by the art and medicine aspect of their curriculum as well as the part on nutrition. They faculty really do make you feel at home. As with others my interview was basically just talking about my AMCAS. They said we may hear back next week but to expect at least two weeks. Considering the facilities are temporary, I was really impressed by how much they invested on making the facilities pretty good. If anyone has any questions I'd be more than happy to answer.
Can you elaborate on what you learned about the specifics of the art and medicine program? Did you hear any new developments about the new building?

Can you elaborate on what you learned about the specifics of the art and medicine program? Did you hear any new developments about the new building?

The plan is to grant students the ability to continue their achievements in art from music to painting and combining it with medicine. It sounded a lot like musical therapy. No specifics were given but it seemed to be built into the program. As others have mentioned, it appears they're changing plans for the new building and changing it to a L shape since it is more cost efficient.

The plan is to grant students the ability to continue their achievements in art from music to painting and combining it with medicine. It sounded a lot like musical therapy. No specifics were given but it seemed to be built into the program. As others have mentioned, it appears they're changing plans for the new building and changing it to a L shape since it is more cost efficient.
Thanks...other than the change of building design, was there any other update on timeline? Once the building is complete and adjacent to ARMC, this program will really be in a highly desirable location with a great place for clinical training directly affiliated and within close walking proximity. Until then though, we will be studying in a strip mall while taking out private loans...logically thinking, it seems unlikely the inaugural class will ever benefit from the new building but who knows, no one can predict the future ---- just wish they would offer some significant scholarship funding to offset concerns.

Thanks...other than the change of building design, was there any other update on timeline? Once the building is complete and adjacent to ARMC, this program will really be in a highly desirable location with a great place for clinical training directly affiliated and within close walking proximity. Until then though, we will be studying in a strip mall while taking out private loans...logically thinking, it seems unlikely the inaugural class will ever benefit from the new building but who knows, no one can predict the future ---- just wish they would offer some significant scholarship funding to offset concerns.

Yeah, you definitely raise a good point. The first class won't be able to use the new facility until their third year. The building MUST be finished by then or LCME accreditation is lost. Which is fine since if you're a student there you'll get shipped to Loma, Riverside and maybe even UCLA/USC/Stanford.

As for the downside of studying in the strip mall for the first two years, it's very well furnished inside with quite a few study rooms for students. They are investing heavily in a student lounge to make it comfy. All things considered, it's really not that much different than a typical school other then what kind of building the classes/labs are in.

Something I just realized from interview day is the increase in scholarship money. For the first year, it's supposed to be $660,000. The second year is supposed to get around $1,200,000? I can't remember the exact numbers. It was unclear if that referred to scholarship money that would be available to all students the second year (first class and second class) or just the first class. If it's the former, it's overall a net decrease in the amount of funds available per student as they plan on accepting 90 students for the second class. Also, as others have previously said, the scholarship committee still hasn't decided on how to distribute the money.

Yeah, you definitely raise a good point. The first class won't be able to use the new facility until their third year. The building MUST be finished by then or LCME accreditation is lost. Which is fine since if you're a student there you'll get shipped to Loma, Riverside and maybe even UCLA/USC/Stanford.

As for the downside of studying in the strip mall for the first two years, it's very well furnished inside with quite a few study rooms for students. They are investing heavily in a student lounge to make it comfy. All things considered, it's really not that much different than a typical school other then what kind of building the classes/labs are in.

Something I just realized from interview day is the increase in scholarship money. For the first year, it's supposed to be $660,000. The second year is supposed to get around $1,200,000? I can't remember the exact numbers. It was unclear if that referred to scholarship money that would be available to all students the second year (first class and second class) or just the first class. If it's the former, it's overall a net decrease in the amount of funds available per student as they plan on accepting 90 students for the second class. Also, as others have previously said, the scholarship committee still hasn't decided on how to distribute the money.

Is that really a MUST or more of a "that looks bad"? Because LCME has already given them the go-ahead based on what they saw in this strip mall. The go-ahead wasnt based off the potential future building, am I correct in saying this?

Does anyone else who has been accepted know how to pay the deposit?

Is that really a MUST or more of a "that looks bad"? Because LCME has already given them the go-ahead based on what they saw in this strip mall. The go-ahead wasnt based off the potential future building, am I correct in saying this?

They didn't say they would lose accreditation, just that their contract with ARMC will be null if it isn't completed by then

ARMC said that if it isn't compete by then then the contract ends. I would have to check LCME standards again, but I am nearly certain that a clinical site/affiliated hospital is needed for accreditation.

Edit: After a quick read, it looks like standards 3.1, 5.6 and 6.2 would be in danger is the ARMC agreement were to collapse.

Last edited:
ARMC said that if it isn't compete by then then the contract ends. I would have to check LCME standards again, but I am nearly certain that a clinical site/affiliated hospital is needed for accreditation.

Edit: After a quick read, it looks like standards 3.1, 5.6 and 6.2 would be in danger is the ARMC agreement were to collapse.

Fair but a smidge over 2 years is a sufficient time to build a building of that size, especially if permits and site are settled. Not like they are trying to build an entire hospital/high rise in 2 years.

Congrats!!!

I wonder what this means for the other interviewees that day (like me) who didn't hear anything yesterday. My gut, based on the way this cycle has gone, tells me it's WL or R.
I would think so unfortunately... unless they're putting some of us on hold and reevaluating continuously

There is no reason that they need to build the new medical school building in order to maintain the ARMC affiliation though?? With the university connections at ARMC, they could just find another building to rent that can sustain all the classes of students if it made more financial sense....and we already know they watch the dollar closely with renting a building and redoing the initial plans to make it more cost effective. Bottom line is its just an uneasy feeling knowing they have yet to break ground on the building and that we all have to use private loans to get the education at a temporary facility at a brand new university with leaders and faculty who come from the only allopathic for profit school around. Anyone know why they all left there to start this up?

There is no reason that they need to build the new medical school building in order to maintain the ARMC affiliation though?? With the university connections at ARMC, they could just find another building to rent that can sustain all the classes of students if it made more financial sense....and we already know they watch the dollar closely with renting a building and redoing the initial plans to make it more cost effective. Bottom line is its just an uneasy feeling knowing they have yet to break ground on the building and that we all have to use private loans to get the education at a temporary facility at a brand new university with leaders and faculty who come from the only allopathic for profit school around. Anyone know why they all left there to start this up?

Dr. Yakub made it sound like the agreement with ARMC was that a school must be built right next to ARMC. You would have to ask him the specifics of the agreement with ARMC. He told all of us something along the lines of the building had to be competed in two years or else during the tour. It seems like its a ARMC requirement to maintain the relationship and not necessarily what the school wanted to do. I asked a lot of the professors why they chose to come to San Bernardino. For many it was the opportunity to start a next school with a unique curriculum, the dean for the Global Health program at GW left because GW was resistant to the changes she wanted to make.

Dr. Yakub made it sound like the agreement with ARMC was that a school must be built right next to ARMC. You would have to ask him the specifics of the agreement with ARMC. He told all of us something along the lines of the building had to be competed in two years or else during the tour. It seems like its a ARMC requirement to maintain the relationship and not necessarily what the school wanted to do. I asked a lot of the professors why they chose to come to San Bernardino. For many it was the opportunity to start a next school with a unique curriculum, the dean for the Global Health program at GW left because GW was resistant to the changes she wanted to make.
Interesting....I really thought Dr. Yakub and Dr. Eveland did a phenomenal job on interview day! I was very impressed by them. I too heard that it needs to be in progress/complete by 2020 for the agreement and funding but it was not clear if it needs to be complete or just in progress. I do know that the temporary site according to LCME documents can only hold one class of 60 and another class of 90....so I definitely think there is pressure to get the facility built asap.

Fyi for people who are scheduled to interview - in the portal under the Admissions tab, there is now a link to "Interviews" that will show your interview date, and let you request a change if you need to.

Okay, I debated whether to mention any of this because I know that this school is likely to end up being a great option for many people. My intention isn't to scare anyone away, but to give my honest experience of the interview day.

I want to start off with how impressed I was with Dean Suskind. He was welcoming, enthusiastic, and kind throughout the day. The tour of Arrowhead Regional was not integrated into the interview day, and he offered to give a tour to anyone interested after the interview had ended.

The day, overall, was one of the strangest experiences of my adult life. It is true that things were slightly disorganized, but I expected this for the most part. What I did not expect were some of the behaviors I witnessed from staff and faculty. I will just note the highlights.

- Of the 21 applicants, 3 were female
- An administrator apologized to the women in the group for the discrepancy, then stated, " And gentlemen, I'm sorry we couldn't get more women here for you."
- During the facility tour they explained that they had named each of the college study rooms after individuals who have impacted medicine. The comment was made, "I'm glad we got at least we got one woman in there"
- During the lunch with faculty, there was only one female faculty member who is not an instructor, but a resident. All three female applicants were ushered to a table to meet with her, forcing them to move from the seats where they were already eating and speaking with faculty members.
- A faculty member asked my table if we had any concerns about the school, considering it was new. I acknowledged my concern with the private loans and the fact that only one lender is available. He told me, "We are really just looking for people who can pay."

It seemed that some other people were really excited by the program. I just walked away with a bad taste in my mouth. I would not consider this school to be particularly female-friendly. I expect that the interview sessions will become smoother and more organized, but I am not completely convinced they will be able to change the culture before classes start.
Can anyone who interviewed during this past month comment on these concerns posted from the March interviews? Did anyone else feel this way who recently interviewed? Just trying to gather as much information and insights in order to make an informed decision. Thank you.

Can anyone who interviewed during this past month comment on these concerns posted from the March interviews? Did anyone else feel this way who recently interviewed? Just trying to gather as much information and insights in order to make an informed decision. Thank you.

I had the second interview date (3/30) and did not experience any of the aforementioned oddities. And, to be honest, most of the previous poster's concerns seem a bit critical as most of them revolve around one-off comments that may or may not have had more context to them.

I will say there were far more females at my interview group, I think it was split about half and half. However, I'm not sure why far more male interviewees than female interviewees in ONE interview is seen as a problem. There are many easily explainable reasons for this (did more male applicants apply early on, for instance?) and the fact that some could jump to the conclusion that the school is not "particularly female-friendly" is absurd to me.

But to each his/her own I suppose...

Don't mean to come off as aggressive, that post just bugged me the first time I saw it and I never commented then.

Does anybody have any information regarding financial aid? The loan package they are providing from iHelp only covers up to cost of paying tuition + fees, not living. Anybody have any info either from their interview day/calling the school about how they are expecting students to bridge the gap?

Does anyone know how to pay the deposit? Or is it going to be in the extra info that will be to come as said in the email?

Does anyone know how to pay the deposit? Or is it going to be in the extra info that will be to come as said in the email?

I asked that same question along with where we were supposed to send transcripts/immunization records and was given the response - "Belinda and her team will be sending you the additional information shortly", by Dr. Eveland. We only have 2 weeks to do all of this so I'm a bit concerned about time but hopefully we'll get something soon.

I asked that same question along with where we were supposed to send transcripts/immunization records and was given the response - "Belinda and her team will be sending you the additional information shortly", by Dr. Eveland. We only have 2 weeks to do all of this so I'm a bit concerned about time but hopefully we'll get something soon.
I got a reply today that said we're gonna be getting an acceptance package through the mail and deposit is paid through a check

I got in just now too!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anybody have any information regarding financial aid? The loan package they are providing from iHelp only covers up to cost of paying tuition + fees, not living. Anybody have any info either from their interview day/calling the school about how they are expecting students to bridge the gap?
Also do any later interviewers know like did they ever decide how they're gonna distribute the scholarship money i.e. overall tuition reduction for everyone or just a few big scholarships for merit/need?

Did anyone get an email for an AAMC Background Check? It says it's for "conditionally accepted applicants and waiting list applicants" but I haven't heard back yet so I'm trying to figure out what it means ahead of time/hoping for the former haha

Did anyone get an email for an AAMC Background Check? It says it's for "conditionally accepted applicants and waiting list applicants" but I haven't heard back yet so I'm trying to figure out what it means ahead of time/hoping for the former haha

They also send that whenever you update your AMCAS to apply to a new school. Schools that waitlist you can initiate the background check but they usually won't unless they plan on pulling you off the waitlist soon.