2017-2018 California University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone get an email for an AAMC Background Check? It says it's for "conditionally accepted applicants and waiting list applicants" but I haven't heard back yet so I'm trying to figure out what it means ahead of time/hoping for the former haha
The one from Certiphi email is different from the one from the AAMC email, probably means you'll be hearing good news soon!

Members don't see this ad.

They also send that whenever you update your AMCAS to apply to a new school. Schools that waitlist you can initiate the background check but they usually won't unless they plan on pulling you off the waitlist soon.
Ah I see. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Am I counting TEN acceptances from our little group? Now we know the key criterion! ;)

Accepted today. Interviewed 4/9. LizzyM 74.7. I was the only interviewee from Arizona I believe.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone found a copy of their academic calendar online? Don't think we got one in the interview folder

I think we all should create a fb group haha

Has anyone found a copy of their academic calendar online? Don't think we got one in the interview folder
I think I saw it in the student handbook. School starts July 23 ya'll!

A moment of silence for everyone that already interviewed and didn't receive an acceptance email.

Reactions: 9 users
A moment of silence for everyone that already interviewed and didn't receive an acceptance email.
My heart just sank a bit because of this silence. Congrats to all who've received acceptances so far!

anyone with a current MD acceptance elsewhere receive a CalMed acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)

RIP. By the way, does anyone know if we're still getting a decision thru the mail? Or are our applications put off to the side until later?

Did the adcom say anything during the interview about how they decide acceptances post interview? Is the interview the major deciding factor or is it still stats?

Received an email to create my applicant portal login and to access the secondary application. Only issue is the secondary link when I click on it is blank! No prompts or anything. LOL Super annoying especially when I've contacted admissions 2x to help me and no response.

Anyone else have (had) this issue?

Anyone from 4/6 hear back? I'm guessing I've been waitlisted since all these 4/9'ers heard back but thought it was strange no one from 4/6 said anything

Can anyone who interviewed during this past month comment on these concerns posted from the March interviews? Did anyone else feel this way who recently interviewed? Just trying to gather as much information and insights in order to make an informed decision. Thank you.

You can read my post earlier summarizing my thoughts. But in general on my interview day on 4/16 I didn't hear any of the same out dated comments. There were 12 of us total on Monday with 6 males and 6 females. They also provided information on the sex break down of those invited so far. I believe it was 52 or 54% of interview invites so far went to females. This means that one of the upcoming days should have a fair amount of females to counter the first 2 days in which there were only 3 and 5.

Does anybody have any information regarding financial aid? The loan package they are providing from iHelp only covers up to cost of paying tuition + fees, not living. Anybody have any info either from their interview day/calling the school about how they are expecting students to bridge the gap?

Also do any later interviewers know like did they ever decide how they're gonna distribute the scholarship money i.e. overall tuition reduction for everyone or just a few big scholarships for merit/need?

They still haven't decided how to distribute the money (merit or need, full, half, etc.).

Looks like I got autoscreened out. Best of luck to everyone else applying.
How do you know? Do they email you a rejection or is it a "silent rejection" school?

Did the adcom say anything during the interview about how they decide acceptances post interview? Is the interview the major deciding factor or is it still stats?

They said they look at the whole application (stats, ECs, background, essay) post interview. The interview itself only plays a small portion.

I guess it’s nice they are being so selective with secondaries. Saved $100 and a month of stress waiting for an II that would never come
Do they tell you they're not sending a secondary?

Hey guys, saw some people say the interview is one on one pretty basic off the amcas application, does anybody have any advice on the interview? and congrats to everyone who got in!!

I don't think it would affect other schools. It would affect your reapplication to this one.

Reapplication is...exactly was the term sounds like. If you've never applied to X school, then applying there on your next cycle isn't a reapplication, because you've never applied THERE.

However, you should really consider what that would do to your fellow applicants who are also trying to get in the school. Not saying that you're wrong for holding an acceptance (potentially), but there's plenty of other people who continue to wait for good news.
Wouldn't they give the spot to a waitlisted applicant in that case, and therefore have the same effect as if OP had never applied?

Wouldn't they give the spot to a waitlisted applicant in that case, and therefore have the same effect as if OP had never applied?

In this case they would also be taking an interview seat away from someone else who actually wants to be accepted.

How do you know? Do they email you a rejection or is it a "silent rejection" school?

From my experience, silent rejection. I got multiple emails from them telling me to apply and I did. No reply, no response, no secondary tossed my way, nothing. Dead air.

I don't know what happened. I can only assume autoscreened.

From my experience, silent rejection. I got multiple emails from them telling me to apply and I did. No reply, no response, no secondary tossed my way, nothing. Dead air.

I don't know what happened. I can only assume autoscreened.

I'm far from being a stellar applicant (LM70ish), but if we really are screened out, then this would be the only school I've applied to that did so.

I personally think they are simply reviewing secondaries they already have and only send out more if they don't think they found enough good candidates.

I applied somewhat late (~4 weeks after the application opened I believe), so I don't know if they've gotten to my group yet. If somebody applied in late March/early April and got a secondary, feel free to correct me. It could totally be they simply saw a negative in my application that other schools did not care as much about.

Last edited:
Hey all, I was also accepted a few days ago after interviewing 3/30, but I was in EU so I'm a bit delayed. But I would like to second an accepted student Facebook page :) What do others think / any advice on how to proceed ? I could just make a page idk

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, saw some people say the interview is one on one pretty basic off the amcas application, does anybody have any advice on the interview? and congrats to everyone who got in!!
My interview was very relaxed, and it was nice that it was open-file because all the information was there and all I had to do was elaborate on my experiences rather than start from scratch.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all, I was also accepted a few days ago after interviewing 3/30, but I was in EU so I'm a bit delayed. But I would like to second an accepted student Facebook page :) What do others think / any advice on how to proceed ? I could just make a page idk

Sounds like a good idea! Post the link here.

I'm far from being a stellar applicant (LM70ish), but if we really are screened out, then this would be the only school I've applied to that did so.

I personally think they are simply reviewing secondaries they already have and only send out more if they don't think they found enough good candidates.

I applied somewhat late (~4 weeks after the application opened I believe), so I don't know if they've gotten to my group yet. If somebody applied in late March/early April and got a secondary, feel free to correct me. It could totally be they simply saw a negative in my application that other schools did not care as much about.
Hey! I sent my primary on the 3rd of April. I received a secondary on the 9th.

Hey! I sent my primary on the 3rd of April. I received a secondary on the 9th.

That's just about when I applied! Haha I'm surprised for all schools to screen me out it'd be this one! Or maybe I just got lost in the hustle. Either way, it's no sweat and this was just more of an opportunity to keep my options open, good luck everyone!

Good for you? When did you submit? Lizzy score? Home state? Thank you.
Thank you :) I don’t remember my primary submission, probably within the 1st week of opening. Secondary submitted like 4 days ago. LizzyM ~ 67, FL resident

Secondary received 4/11 (but in the e-mail the date was 4/9 for some reason unknown to me)
Secondary submitted 4/17
II this morning at 11:05 AM PDT with 5/7 being the only available date on their portal.

LizzyM 66, Northern California resident. 1 DO acceptance. This is my first/only MD II

Does anybody have any information regarding financial aid? The loan package they are providing from iHelp only covers up to cost of paying tuition + fees, not living. Anybody have any info either from their interview day/calling the school about how they are expecting students to bridge the gap?

I am wondering the same thing as well. Can anybody else weigh in on this/is anyone else concerned?? The max amount of loans we can take out doesn't cover cost of living (just tuition and fees). Nobody has been picking up from financial aid either...

Can someone confirm that if we get accepted here, we can't defer previous federal student loans until CalMed is eligible for FASFA? I've read this somewhere but I'm not sure if this is true.

I am wondering the same thing as well. Can anybody else weigh in on this/is anyone else concerned?? The max amount of loans we can take out doesn't cover cost of living (just tuition and fees). Nobody has been picking up from financial aid either...

I'm pretty sure that we would have to take out private loans from somewhere else like banks or credit unions. My understanding was the iHelp only covered the tuition but not the CoL.

I'm pretty sure that we would have to take out private loans from somewhere else like banks or credit unions. My understanding was the iHelp only covered the tuition but not the CoL.

You can probably get a better rate at your bank/credit union. Bank/Credit Union student loans cover up to the Cost of Attendance. Besides, it should only be for two years.

Ok maybe I’m just paranoid lol but are they sending out so many late IIs after accepting probably a good portion of people to interview us for waitlist?

Ok maybe I’m just paranoid lol but are they sending out so many late IIs after accepting probably a good portion of people to interview us for waitlist?

From my understanding, I believe they are going to be accepting almost 120-140 people to fill up a class of 60. That being said, I'm not quite sure how many interviews they've done, but I doubt it is enough to fill up that amount of people. Can anyone jump into this? I think there have been 4-5 interview dates so far meaning that if ALL were accepted that'd be 100 people which I also doubt everyone was accepted. I think there are three more interview dates scheduled right now: 4/23, 5/4, 5/7. I doubt they would have that many dates for people just to get onto the wait-list.

Can someone confirm that if we get accepted here, we can't defer previous federal student loans until CalMed is eligible for FASFA? I've read this somewhere but I'm not sure if this is true.
Private loans only. iHelp covers tuition and fees. Living expenses would need to be covered by another lender. Interest accrues immediately for both and neither are eligible for federal repayment plans.

From my understanding, I believe they are going to be accepting almost 120-140 people to fill up a class of 60. That being said, I'm not quite sure how many interviews they've done, but I doubt it is enough to fill up that amount of people. Can anyone jump into this? I think there have been 4-5 interview dates so far meaning that if ALL were accepted that'd be 100 people which I also doubt everyone was accepted. I think there are three more interview dates scheduled right now: 4/23, 5/4, 5/7. I doubt they would have that many dates for people just to get onto the wait-list.
There have been 7 interview dates... 3/26, 3/30, 4/2, 4/6, 4/9, 4/13, 4/16. They said they would accept only a few up front because they want to get a sense of what the interview pool is like, so my guess is they have accepted maybe 30-40 so far. With 4 more interview dates in April, I'm guessing they'll have given 50-60 acceptances by traffic day. I doubt they'll accept much more than 60 by then, since there are a few interview dates in May and they wouldn't want to over-accept the class. They might be seeing who ends up committing to CalMed after 4/30, and then filling the class accordingly?

Idk if they'll need to accept 120-140 at this point tbh, given that a lot of people who applied here have no other acceptances. I guess it all depends on how many waitlists people get off of elsewhere and what they end up choosing.

I have no idea if any of this is remotely accurate... just my educated guess haha

Last edited:
Private loans only. iHelp covers tuition and fees. Living expenses would need to be covered by another lender. Interest accrues immediately for both and neither are eligible for federal repayment plans.

Not what I'm talking about. I mean if you have previous federal student loans (Perkins and Stafford loans) from undergrad or grad programs will they be deferred or not. My understanding is that those federal loans will still accrue interest until CalMed gains access to Fed Loans and allows for deferment, but I wanted to confirm if this is true or not.

Edit: I mean are we still on the hook for paying the interest for subsidized student loans if there is no opportunity for deferment?

Last edited:
Yeah that is the case, deferment is only if you are enrolled in an accredited for federal loans institution.

You can probably get a better rate at your bank/credit union. Bank/Credit Union student loans cover up to the Cost of Attendance. Besides, it should only be for two years.

Have any idea which ones? I remember from the interview day that the lenders have to approve the school, so far only iHelp has signed up and they are supposed to be working on more.

Yeah that is the case, deferment is only if you are enrolled in an accredited for federal loans institution.

Have any idea which ones? I remember from the interview day that the lenders have to approve the school, so far only iHelp has signed up and they are supposed to be working on more.
Try Sallie Mae.