2017-2018 Carle-Illinois College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reject club

Members don't see this ad.

Rejected. No engineering experience so not too surprised.

Rejected. I think this one stinged the most of all my schools. Got excited after going to that showcase, put my heart into that secondary, then outright rejected.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else unhappy over how this school handled their admissions for the inaugural class? First, they claim that they won't be hosting interviews, but then they invite selected applicants to an exclusive "showcase" event anyway. They claim that this event has no bearing on admissions, but by inviting 64 to each of the two events when we know the final class will be 32, their intentions were pretty clear in hindsight.

Second, there is a copious lack of publicly available information about their school. Their website is basically bare bones. It seems like the only way to learn more about the school is to be invited to one of their selective showcases. When I emailed them asking to set up a campus visit, they said that it would be not be possible since the campus had mostly not been built yet (how are the showcases happening then?) and instead invited me to take a self-guided walkthrough of the UIUC engineering campus.

Lastly, I find it really odd how much marketing and gimmicks played into the application process. The whole "artifacts" business along with the video secondary required a substantial more time investment into the process than normal and seemed to be wholly unnecessary. If you plan to only accept 32 but send the secondary to everyone who applied, it's only natural that some people will just end up wasting their time. I'm also not sure what's up with the over-the-top admissions packages that accepted applicants received alongside their "personalized acceptance video". It just feels like they invested so much into a very small particular group of people at the neglect of everyone else.

Joining the waitlist squad. This process is actually going to be the death of me!

Is anyone else unhappy over how this school handled their admissions for the inaugural class? First, they claim that they won't be hosting interviews, but then they invite selected applicants to an exclusive "showcase" event anyway. They claim that this event has no bearing on admissions, but by inviting 64 to each of the two events when we know the final class will be 32, their intentions were pretty clear in hindsight.

Second, there is a copious lack of publicly available information about their school. Their website is basically bare bones. It seems like the only way to learn more about the school is to be invited to one of their selective showcases. When I emailed them asking to set up a campus visit, they said that it would be not be possible since the campus had mostly not been built yet (how are the showcases happening then?) and instead invited me to take a self-guided walkthrough of the UIUC engineering campus.

Lastly, I find it really odd how much marketing and gimmicks played into the application process. The whole "artifacts" business along with the video secondary required a substantial more time investment into the process than normal and seemed to be wholly unnecessary. If you plan to only accept 32 but send the secondary to everyone who applied, it's only natural that some people will just end up wasting their time. I'm also not sure what's up with the over-the-top admissions packages that accepted applicants received alongside their "personalized acceptance video". It just feels like they invested so much into a very small particular group of people at the neglect of everyone else.

I was accepted but not invited to that fancy showcase. Take a deep breath- they're working really hard right now, and I'm sure it's hard for the team to decide where to spend their energy and effort. I don't know what they were looking for in the secondaries, but I love that it gave more of a window into who we are and what we're proud of than just essays.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kind of surprised they're only waitlisting 32. I thought most schools do 2-3x per size of class, and here they're doing 2x, so they must be very confident they can fill the class I would imagine

I'm kind of surprised they're only waitlisting 32. I thought most schools do 2-3x per size of class, and here they're doing 2x, so they must be very confident they can fill the class I would imagine
I think the matriculation rate will be pretty low

I do wonder if we get off the waitlist if they send us that cool package in the mail

Reactions: 1 users
Was this via snail mail?
Snail mail yes, I got the box : D . so lucky and grateful- best of luck to all.
This process was horrendous. Second year applying, several years in the making, a master's degree (not a crappy one but actual research master's), 5 years of work/life/experience. I feel for you all. Wait listed at two other schools and was ready to join a very well funded startup immunology company...until yesterday. You. Just. Never. Know.

Reactions: 5 users
Can anyone confirm if that the waitlist is 32 people?

Last edited:

I also didn't get invited to the showcase and called them about setting up a campus visit; I was told the same thing about it being under construction which was frustrating because I knew about the showcase going on. So, I agree with you there.

However, I really liked the secondary for a few reasons. 1) The money saved on transportation and hotels. 2) Artifacts, essays, and video allowed applicants to really state their case albeit it was time intensive.

This is their first class; I'm sure there are a few things they will do differently in the future.

I also didn't get invited to the showcase and called them about setting up a campus visit; I was told the same thing about it being under construction which was frustrating because I knew about the showcase going on. So, I agree with you there.
that's actually so scummy of them

Rejected today too. I wish everybody good luck whether you get accepted here or not. This was a fun secondary and a great group of people to be hopeful with. Now it's time to decide what to do for the rest of my life...

I thought their secondary was fine, though the video interview was not structured very well with timing. The vast majority of schools give secondaries to everybody and on top of that charge ~$100. The fact that the secondary here was free is a nice touch even if it was a little long. Still not as bad as Duke, UCSD, or Vandy.

I do agree with you on not liking the invitation only showcase. I definitely felt pressured to attend even though they stated it was completely optional. Unfortunately communication from schools cannot always be taken at face value *cough* Mayo. If I was invited to a showcase but it wasn't "invitation only" then I would not have gone because of travel costs.

a full ride is nothing when the result might be matching into FM in north dakota
LOL - this is ridiculous. No one will pass on a full ride to a MD school let alone a revolutionary one such as this. Don't be salty

Reactions: 2 users
LOL - this is ridiculous. No one will pass on a full ride to a MD school let alone a revolutionary one such as this. Don't be salty
You don't know anything about residency admissions apparently.

Do you think some 65 year old RD gives a **** about an experimental curriculum that incorporates engineering when he has an ocean of applicants from established universities to pick from? Do you understand that having no high profiles hospitals in the area and no "home residency" program is also a hindrance too? Literally NOTHING about this school is designed to set you up for an easy time in the match, but I still applied anyway because I think a school like this is good for healthcare in general and the curriculum is interesting to me.

Save the stupid, snarky comments for reddit. We're trying to have a civil discussion here.

Last edited:

Seems weird to pass on a full ride, but there are definitely some situations I could see it occurring.

A Stellar applicant with 3 other schools ready to match their full ride would be tempted for a better location at an established school. Other factors like parents paying, location preferences, starting in July with no summers, and a fairly intensive course load could influence decisions.

Since I’m an engineer and I like guessing, I will guess 10% go elsewhere

Seems weird to pass on a full ride, but there are definitely some situations I could see it occurring.

A Stellar applicant with 3 other schools ready to match their full ride would be tempted for a better location at an established school. Other factors like parents paying, location preferences, starting in July with no summers, and a fairly intensive course load could influence decisions.

They also don't have the scholarships funded fully yet

This is exactly my thinking. Some applicants who already know they want to go into a highly competitive residency might use the full tuition scholarship as leverage for a scholarship at a more established school. Also, like you mentioned, some applicants are in the envious position of not having to consider costs. JMO-I think Carle will be incredibly successful and have great match results.
My guess is 4 out of the 32 go elsewhere, so 12.5% or 87.5% matriculation rate, which would be an incredibly high matriculation rate.

This is exactly my thinking. Some applicants who already know they want to go into a highly competitive residency might use the full tuition scholarship as leverage for a scholarship at a more established school. Also, like you mentioned, some applicants are in the envious position of not having to consider costs. JMO-I think Carle will be incredibly successful and have great match results.
My guess is 4 out of the 32 go elsewhere, so 12.5% or 87.5% matriculation rate, which would be an incredibly high matriculation rate.
I have a hard time believing other schools will honor the scholarship from Carle.

Rejected today. After pouring hundreds of hours into the secondary and feeling confident and connected after the showcase, I'm honestly really sad that I won't get to attend CICOM. At the same time, this whole process has inspired me even more to use my engineering background for the advancement of healthcare, and I cannot wait to do so starting at my "backup" program in August. I have the greatest respect and admiration for CICOM, its faculty, and its inaugural class - and I am excited for everything in their (and my!) future. Let's be physician innovators, whether or not we're in Urbana this fall.

Reactions: 8 users
You don't know anything about residency admissions apparently.

Do you think some 65 year old RD gives a **** about an experimental curriculum that incorporates engineering when he has an ocean of applicants from established universities to pick from? Do you understand that having no high profiles hospitals in the area and no "home residency" program is also a hindrance too? Literally NOTHING about this school is designed to set you up for an easy time in the match, but I still applied anyway because I think a school like this is good for healthcare in general and the curriculum is interesting to me.

Save the stupid, snarky comments for reddit. We're trying to have a civil discussion here.

65 RD gives a **** about board scores and research no matter what school you are from. If you can get those while being on a full ride, hard to turn down.

Called today about LOI/updates/extra LORs for WL folks. Looks like nothing further is going to be reviewed. Congrats to all the accepted folks and for us on WL, may the odds be ever in our favor!

Last edited:
does anyone know the date that those accepted have to respond to Carle by?