2017-2018 Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine (MWU-CCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone mind sharing a range of stats for pre II rejections? Trying to get a gage about their cutoffs

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My secondary was complete 10/15, so I can say I'm truly thrilled to have heard back from them today!
Also, I actually got a phone call and an email from the admissions office within thirty minutes of each other today. The email was sent first, but they called to offer me the interview (I think due to the short notice, seeing as I have 5 days to figure out travel, etc, but I'm not complaining!)

Congrats! What are your stats if you dont mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if the campus is accessible on the weekends? I think I want to re-visit before making my deposit decision. However, the only time that I would be able to is on weekends since I'm OOS.

Are students here in charge of scheduling there own rotations?

I just remember CCOM having pretty tight security, needing an ID card to enter pretty much any building. I just don't want to waste the trip if I won't even be able to check things out.

You can get a visitor pass

Are students here in charge of scheduling there own rotations?
Electives, yes, but the university has many established sites in all specialties and locations for these months. If you had somewhere you wanted to go specifically and the school did not have a contract with that site then you would have some paperwork to complete. As for the core rotations, you submit a rank list of your preferences and then there is a lottery deciding who goes where.

When do you guys think the next round of acceptances will come out?

I just remember CCOM having pretty tight security, needing an ID card to enter pretty much any building. I just don't want to waste the trip if I won't even be able to check things out.
Set something up with the security office so that someone can
When do you guys think the next round of acceptances will come out?
Maybe next week, since it’s right before finals

How does one send these? Do they have to be academic updates?
Send them to admissions in a PDF format. The updates can be about anything. I personally updated them with any new meaningful community involvement

Reactions: 1 users
II received today. Complete Oct 6.

I have seen a couple people with some high stats so I thought I might chime in and hopefully this helps ease some peoples stress who may have lower stats... Sorry if it doesn't. I was accepted 10/20, OOS, MCAT 506 (average was 503), GPA 3.7. My application was complete 9/19 and I interviewed 10/16. Good luck to everyone!!

Reactions: 3 users
II today! Complete 7/20!

Accepted!! In state. MCAT: 508 GPA: 4.00

I got a II today! 505 MCAT and 3.87 GPA. Does anyone know stats for II and acceptance/rejections?

Can any current students (that had more than 1 acceptance) explain how they were able to get over the $67,880 tuition price tag? I am on the STRUGGLE BUS. No matter how many "pros" that I write down on my list, I will be forever overwhelmed by the magnitude of that number. I am genuinely wondering: Do most students come from extremely wealthy families or something??

Reactions: 2 users
Can any current students (that had more than 1 acceptance) explain how they were able to get over the $67,880 tuition price tag? I am on the STRUGGLE BUS. No matter how many "pros" that I write down on my list, I will be forever overwhelmed by the magnitude of that number. I am genuinely wondering: Do most students come from extremely wealthy families or something??
Would like to know this as well

The reason I chose to take on the debt is because I’m from the area and want to stay here (Chicago) for residency and beyond. If I wasn’t from here and didn’t want to say here in the future/wasn’t able to live at home for free, I’m not sure the cost would be justifiable.

Edit: I believe the majority of my classmates are depending on loans, not wealthy families.

I chose to go to CCOM over other schools because of what it has to offer. Dean Nichols served as the president of the AOA and continues to actively advocate not only for the profession but for the students as well. As such, she always gives us the latest news, especially pertaining the the upcoming merger. The school also has a very established relationship with the different hospitals in the Chicagoland area, which gives us better rotation experiences and a leg up come interview season should we decide to stay in the area. But even if you don’t decide to stay in Chicago, CCOM has a pretty far reaching reputation. Yea, the tuition is high, and we’re all relying on student loans in some way to get through school, but it’s all worth it.

Giving uip my seat here! Good luck everyone and I hope one of you fine persons gets it!

Not from a wealthy family. Taking out lots of loans. Applying for scholarships when I can. Tutoring on the side for some extra cash. Ultimately, medical school is going to require some form of loans unless you come from a very wealthy family. I wanted to stay in the Chicagoland area for residency and CCOM offered the best opportunity for that out of all the DO schools. Speaking to CCOM alumni attendings about their loans, they all pretty much just view it as another monthly bill. You just accept it and pay it.

Not from a wealthy family. Taking out lots of loans. Applying for scholarships when I can. Tutoring on the side for some extra cash. Ultimately, medical school is going to require some form of loans unless you come from a very wealthy family. I wanted to stay in the Chicagoland area for residency and CCOM offered the best opportunity for that out of all the DO schools. Speaking to CCOM alumni attendings about their loans, they all pretty much just view it as another monthly bill. You just accept it and pay it.
Can echo what @emkayveedee has to say. Fellow MS-4 at CCOM and I view my loans (which are substantial) as just another number. Am I going to strike it rich straight out of residency? Hell no, but I'm ok with it.

Anybody get an interview after submitting an update?

Can echo what @emkayveedee has to say. Fellow MS-4 at CCOM and I view my loans (which are substantial) as just another number. Am I going to strike it rich straight out of residency? Hell no, but I'm ok with it.
Do you have to schedule your own rotation at CCOM?

Do you have to schedule your own rotation at CCOM?
I've only had to schedule one outside of the school-arranged ones, but people who want to end up in areas outside of the midwest (California, etc) generally organize rotations themselves at outside institutions.