2017-2018 Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine (MWU-CCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What do we wear to second look?

Members don't see this ad.

Could someone tell me the interview format? Was it just the one 3 person-panel interview, or were there multiple interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Could someone tell me the interview format? Was it just the one 3 person-panel interview, or were there multiple interviews?
3-person panel. Goes by quick :) They took turns to ask me questions. Mine was two 4th years and a PhD. prof.

3-person panel. Goes by quick :) They took turns to ask me questions. Mine was two 4th years and a PhD. prof.
awesome thanks. I heard that there were multiple interviews, where one would be 15 minutes and the other 30 minutes. Just sounded strange. Thanks for the info

Withdrawing my acceptance here soon. I hope one of you guys get my spot

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how much time off CCOM gives for board studying?

Does anyone know how much time off CCOM gives for board studying?
Step 1 needs to be taken within the 5 week timeframe between the last exam in spring quarter and the start of the first rotation block. So ~5 weeks. Spring semester is about half the workload of the Fall and Winter quarters, so there's time to work on UWorld questions etc. before that dedicated time.

Any more II's as of recent?

I got one last year around this month, but heard nothing this year.
I sent an update letter 2 weeks ago, so my app could get looked at again

I am also wondering if they are still sending II's. I was complete 7/7/2017. I sent update letter about 3-4 weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any med students speak about the 8/9am-5pm class days? It seems like a lot compared to the 8am-12pm class days at other schools. Not to sound like I'm not up for the challenge, but how do you guys find time to study and do other things? Also, are classes longer because they're covering twice as much material? I don't really understand this...

Reactions: 1 users
Can any med students speak about the 8/9am-5pm class days? It seems like a lot compared to the 8am-12pm class days at other schools. Not to sound like I'm not up for the challenge, but how do you guys find time to study and do other things? Also, are classes longer because they're covering twice as much material? I don't really understand this...
Three day weekends 1st year.

You’ll learn quickly if going to class is necessary for your success. I have no clue how some people sit in class all day and still have energy/motivation to go home and study at the end of the day. I wouldn’t say we cover twice as much material by any means but it’s a ton regardless. And yes, we don’t have class on Friday (which is awesome) except for winter quarter really and a few exams here and there. PM me if you have any questions!

Last edited:
During first year, you’re only on campus until 5 when you have anatomy lab, otherwise you’re out at a decent time. You also need to pick and choose your battles (which classes you want to go to).

Almost everything is recorded. Stay home and watch on 2x speed. But even if you do benefit from going to class, which is fine and some people do, you're rarely there that late except on lab days. As mentioned above you have Fridays off first year which is amazing for your mental health as well as your academic health if you want to use it for that. I personally took Fridays completely off every single week of first year unless we happened to have an exam on the following Monday. Having one day a week where I was able to forget about school entirely was much more valuable to me than any studying I could have gotten done that day.

for those that interviewed, do you know if your interviewers had your update letters (if you sent any) along with your CV? or just the CV?

Thanks!
4th year/occasional interviewer here: The people who are actually interviewing you only have access to your CV, scores/GPA (which I never care about at that point) & supplemental questions. We don't have any of your letters or personal statement (I wish we did but we don't). I'm sure that the people who go over all the material after interviews have those things but when you are actually in the room interviewing they don't have much.
Personally for me I just want to have a good/thoughtful discussion with the applicant.

Last edited:
Anyone know what the availability is for scholarships? The COA is really putting me off.

Anyone know what the availability is for scholarships? The COA is really putting me off.
The school offers a whole bunch of scholarships that range from 1k to I believe 10k. I’m not aware of a maximum limit of scholarships a student can apply for/receive.

admissions commitee meets last wen of every month right?

Does anyone know when we would be able to apply for scholarships and when they would be awarded?

i'm sorry if it was written on here before, but when does the admissions committee usually send out decisions? is there a specific day that they meet on? i'm hoping to hear back from my interview in early march this week or next week! just wondering if there is a certain day i should be on high alert lol

i'm sorry if it was written on here before, but when does the admissions committee usually send out decisions? is there a specific day that they meet on? i'm hoping to hear back from my interview in early march this week or next week! just wondering if there is a certain day i should be on high alert lol
I'm pretty sure that the portal will be updated wensday. But idk when any calls will go out.

Does anyone know when the White Coat Ceremony is?

If you're accepted, you can see the tentative academic calendar for 2018-2019. Should be under "academic calendars" on your portal, or you can google Midwestern academic calendar and probably find it (but you'll need to log in to see it). Looks like it's currently scheduled for October 6th, but it could change since the calendar is not finalized yet.

Does anyone know if they are still offering acceptances or will we be interviewing for waitlist spots at this point?

Has anyone gotten an acceptance email / had their portal chance?

Hey guys, does anyone know how late the interviews are scheduled so far for this year? Also, has anyone been accepted off the alternate list yet or is it true they only do it after they interview everyone? Has anyone heard of anyone being accepted earlier than the end of the cycle?

Hey guys, does anyone know how late the interviews are scheduled so far for this year? Also, has anyone been accepted off the alternate list yet or is it true they only do it after they interview everyone? Has anyone heard of anyone being accepted earlier than the end of the cycle?
they run till the beginning of April

has anyone who interviewed in early march heard back yet?

Do you guys think that means we’ve been rejected, if we haven’t heard back yet?

Last edited:
Do you guys think that means we’ve been rejected, if we haven’t heard back yet?
Fam, you'll be alright. Some of my classmates didn't hear back for months. Every year is different, but they accepted a lot of people all the way into summer.

It's only March! Get off SDN and enjoy life! (You could keep sending in "emails of interests" though! Updates or even saying you are still interested seem to help)

Fam, you'll be alright. Some of my classmates didn't hear back for months. Every year is different, but they accepted a lot of people all the way into summer.

It's only March! Get off SDN and enjoy life! (You could keep sending in "emails of interests" though! Updates or even saying you are still interested seem to help)
Really? I thought that they decided on the third wensday of the month and then got back to you, if you were accepted or don’t if you weren’t. And that if you didn’t hear back after a couple days it’s because they were mailing a rejection letter.

And I know. Thanks for the good will, though. You are definitely right about trying not to worry.

Really? I thought that they decided on the third wensday of the month and then got back to you, if you were accepted or don’t if you weren’t. And that if you didn’t hear back after a couple days it’s because they were mailing a rejection letter.

And I know. Thanks for the good will, though. You are definitely right about trying not to worry.

From what I understand, CCOM doesn't do a lot of outright rejections but keeps a pretty healthy waitlist. Depending on the year, a decent amount of waitlisted people seem to get in. It definitely varies from year to year though.

the committee tries to meet every last Wednesday of the month, but sometimes it can be postponed if they have conflicting schedules.
don't lose hope until you hear back!
best of luck!

If you are rejected, you will no longer have access to the portal. If you are waitlisted, your pre-reqs will show up on the portal. That’s how you can know right away without waiting for a letter!

Yo, for anyone waiting anxiously for a response, the portal just changed for me this morning!

:):):) Me too. Acceptance via portal around 8:30 chicago time
Edited to add stats for whoever wants them
In state
3.7 gpa

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users