2017-2018 Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine (MWU-CCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anybody that interviewed in April got accepted yet? My pre-reqs are showing in my applicant checklist but nothing in the accepted checklist or matriculation/payment, from my research this def means I got waitlisted :/

Members don't see this ad.

Has anybody that interviewed in April got accepted yet? My pre-reqs are showing in my applicant checklist but nothing in the accepted checklist or matriculation/payment, from my research this def means I got waitlisted :/
Even if you did get waitlisted, it's not the end of the world. CCOM tends to have a lot of waitlist movement IMO.

Are there any deadlines coming up for accepted CCOM students. I haven't submitted any immunization forms and I was just wondering if I should be doing that or anything else soon?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anyone who got waitlisted earlier this year and still waiting for an acceptance?

I interviewed Feb 8th and still waiting..........

Reactions: 2 users
Is there a FB group?

when do we have to turn in our immunization forms by? I'm looking at another month or so till the titers are done, (not including 3rd hep. shot)

when do we have to turn in our immunization forms by? I'm looking at another month or so till the titers are done, (not including 3rd hep. shot)

I think they say to have it done before classes begin, but don't worry too much if all your titers or vaccine series aren't complete by the time classes start. As long as you provide them with some documentation that you are in the progress of completing all your immunization requirements, you should be fine!

ACCEPTED FROM THE WAITLIST via EMAIL!!! WOO! MOVEMENT HAS BEGUN!

Reactions: 1 users
GOT OFF THE WAITLIST! wish it came a week ago before i paid another deposit but AYY

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Did you send in an update/interest letter?
Yeah right after I got put on the list i sent in a LOI and an extra rec letter, then I called them like every other week to say im interested and all that jazz. I may have been a little overboard with it but hey it worked out

what does a financial aid letter from here look like? do they give institutional aid? scholarships?

what does a financial aid letter from here look like? do they give institutional aid? scholarships?
it's basically just federal loans. Around September/October they will open up applications for a handful of scholarships that first-years can apply to, but that's about it

How long does it take to get the invite to the Schools App? I paid my deposit and I have a school email but I haven't received the invitation to the Schools App and I really want to start looking for housing/roomates.

How long does it take to get the invite to the Schools App? I paid my deposit and I have a school email but I haven't received the invitation to the Schools App and I really want to start looking for housing/roomates.

Do you mean the Facebook group? Search CCOM Class of 2022

This'll probably sound stupid but it's safe to withdraw from another school you have a deposit to after you pay the matriculation deposit and do the agreement to midwestern right lol

Just withdrew my seat here. Best of luck to those on the waitlist! ~

Current 3rd year here. If you guys have any questions, feel free to message.
I dont check the site too often, but I realize that it's the time of the year when waitlist hopefuls are continuously being hopeful.
Maybe I can provide insight with that or just answer anyone's questions about the school in general.
I was once in your shoes. Lmk how I can help!
Best of luck!

Last edited:
I was accepted to both campuses in the past but choose to go to another school. I would highly recommend choosing any other DO school over Midwestern, the 70k (plus compounding 5% increase in tuition a year ie 80k by your 3/4 year) is simply not worth it.

Midwestern claims to justify their high tuition but their justifications are misguided at best, deceitful at worst. At the end of the day any DO school will give you the DO degree, no school is going to hold your hand and give you a residency, you have to work hard for it yourself regardless of school.

Do you feel it was worth even applying to CCOM?

apply if you're okay going 400-500k in debt, itll grant you a DO degree and its a better school than some DO schools. But is it tens of thousands of dollars better than other DO schools? Definitely not, DO is DO.
Calm down there Jafar. There are many reasons why people choose one school over another. I could have attended a school in the middle of nowhere at almost half the price of CCOM, but immediately accepted my offer at CCOM. There are people in my class that turned down MD offers for various reasons as well. Cost is just one aspect in what to look for in a school, as many intangibles can outweigh the tuition here.

Calm down there Jafar. There are many reasons why people choose one school over another. I could have attended a school in the middle of nowhere at almost half the price of CCOM, but immediately accepted my offer at CCOM. There are people in my class that turned down MD offers for various reasons as well. Cost is just one aspect in what to look for in a school, as many intangibles can outweigh the tuition here.

Can I get of a list of these intangibles/reasons why you choose CCOM over others? Genuinely curious (by intangibles I'm assuming you mean things not including location, proximity to family/spouse etc)

Not trying to start an argument, I just want prospective students to have all the information they need before shelling out close to half a million dollars.

Current 3rd year here. If you guys have any questions, feel free to message.
I dont check the site too often, but I realize that it's the time of the year when waitlist hopefuls are continuously being hopeful.
Maybe I can provide insight with that or just answer anyone's questions about the school in general.
I was once in your shoes. Lmk how I can help!
Best of luck!
*Gasp* Does that mean my waitlisted ass won’t get accepted by the end of summer break?!

I was accepted to both campuses in the past but choose to go to another school. I would highly recommend choosing any other DO school over Midwestern, the 70k (plus compounding 5% increase in tuition a year ie 80k by your 3/4 year) is simply not worth it.

Midwestern claims to justify their high tuition but their justifications are misguided at best, deceitful at worst. At the end of the day any DO school will give you the DO degree, no school is going to hold your hand and give you a residency, you have to work hard for it yourself regardless of school.

I agree that the exorbitant tuition is a real problem for Midwestern, and they're certainly losing many qualified students because of it. One might go so far as to say that it is affecting their reputation. That being said, there are real positives to the school, at least for CCOM (I can't speak for the AZ campus). Namely, rotations, which a lot of applicants don't pay a lot of attention to, but are obviously super important for your education and career. I strongly disagree that all DO schools are the same, but prospective students can do their own research and decide for themselves on that one.

I agree that the exorbitant tuition is a real problem for Midwestern, and they're certainly losing many qualified students because of it. One might go so far as to say that it is affecting their reputation. That being said, there are real positives to the school, at least for CCOM (I can't speak for the AZ campus). Namely, rotations, which a lot of applicants don't pay a lot of attention to, but are obviously super important for your education and career. I strongly disagree that all DO schools are the same, but prospective students can do their own research and decide for themselves on that one.

I agree with this. Being from the midwest, it is something to have respected MD physicians acknowledge Midwestern and the quality of its' students. I have come across many physicians, mostly MDs, whom I work with who know of Midwestern and its quality. Peep--their average board scores. The opportunity to do research too is a large advantage over other DO schools as well as the networking available if you are looking to stay in the Midwest. While you do work for what you get, I think there are far more opportunities included in the albeit ridiculous tuition. Also having the hospitals and rotations in Chicago, I can say you will be able to see and experience much more than other schools.

*Gasp* Does that mean my waitlisted ass won’t get accepted by the end of summer break?!

It depends. I got off the waitlist once it started moving.
Interviewed mid-march and got accepted just before Memorial Day weekend when the list started moving.

No, its an app for incoming students. I figured it out tho. Thanks!
How did you figure it out? I got the invitation to download but when I put my school email in for verification nothing happens after that ☹️

can a third or fourth year comment on the quality of rotations?
We have a lot of sites. All Chicagoland area (or Indiana) but farthest drive is usually around 1 hour depending on where you live of course.
The only rotation that might require housing (again drivable but depends on where you live) is IM at Riverside Hosp in Kankakee, IL and OB at Rockford, IL. Housing is provided for OB. Idk about the IM at Riverside.

As far as quality. Very good. Some rotations have lesser quality sites like psych and maybe peds, but this also depends on what you are looking for. A lot of people don't mind easy psych rotations because it's like a vacation.

Everywhere else, have good quality. We rotate through many many hospitals, each with their strengths and weaknesses like any sites anywhere. It's up to the students (and luck of the draw) to schedule their rotations at sites they want and make it as easy as or as hard as they want.

How did you figure it out? I got the invitation to download but when I put my school email in for verification nothing happens after that ☹️
It took a day for it to allow me in!

I am withdrawing. Best of luck to those waiting!

Do any current students have any tips on parking on campus? That parking garage does not seem like fun once classes and all start hah

Do any current students have any tips on parking on campus? That parking garage does not seem like fun once classes and all start hah
If you know how to time it, it's really not bad at all. Just don't leave when every other student from your class leaves plus the other schools (PA, PT, Opto, and Dental). Some people will race to the parking garage like a bat out of hell to leave first, which works I guess. I never have a problem with it because I just get to campus early and leave after the mass exodus.

Anyone know when waitlist ppl might hear some more movement?

If you know how to time it, it's really not bad at all. Just don't leave when every other student from your class leaves plus the other schools (PA, PT, Opto, and Dental). Some people will race to the parking garage like a bat out of hell to leave first, which works I guess. I never have a problem with it because I just get to campus early and leave after the mass exodus.
thanks a bunch! yeah that's what I plan on doing. If you don't mind me asking do you arrive about an hour or so before class or something than leave sometime in the evening?

Appreciate it

thanks a bunch! yeah that's what I plan on doing. If you don't mind me asking do you arrive about an hour or so before class or something than leave sometime in the evening?

Appreciate it
Every student is different. Some students hate being on campus and only come for exams/labs, while other students arrive before class to study or hang out in the library. You just have to figure out what works for you, and adjust your commute. The only time the parking garage was actually a hassle was for white coat ceremony where it took about 45 minutes to get out of the garage.

anyone know how to go about the loans stuff?

e.g. for studentloans.gov if we arent sure how much well be taking out...what do we do?

anyone know how to go about the loans stuff?

e.g. for studentloans.gov if we arent sure how much well be taking out...what do we do?

My advice for at least the first one is to take the max and give some back later if you want. You have a window where you can literally just write them a check and give it back interest free like you never received it in the first place and it's very easy to decrease how much you get on the next disbursement. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I always parked on the fifth floor regardless if there are spots in the lower levels.
Primarily because I get my exercise (since that's pretty much all you get during med school ) and also because it's quiet up there without cars zooming by so perfect place to nap if you don't feel like napping in the library.
I've never really run into a problem of not finding parking at all. Just make sure to drive slow especially when turning corners to avoid accidents.

can someone comment on redwood hall?

also is it imperative to have a car on campus?

Any movement recently?

Just got taken off the waitlist today! There is hope!

Just got taken off the waitlist today! There is hope!
+1, was very surprised because I didn't send an update letter. Now I'm torn between this school and another :(