2017-2018 Cleveland Clinic (Lerner)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview invite today!!! Complete 07/27. My heart dropped when I got the update in your status email. Super excited!!! Earliest date was in December.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
II today too!!!! Cloud nine. :love: Complete third week of sept

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who got the " second follow up to our offer for an in-person interview" ...have you guys received your interview yet?
No :( I'm wondering why these other people's portals are working and ours aren't

I imagine since they are so research-heavy there must be a lot of grilling on your research details. Can anyone comment on generally how the interview day went?

Reactions: 1 user
I imagine since they are so research-heavy there must be a lot of grilling on your research details. Can anyone comment on generally how the interview day went?
Hey, I thought that the interviews were very conversational and I had 1 PhD interviewer, 1 MD interviewer and 1 student interviewer. The PhD interviewer was the only one who asked about my research, if i recall correctly. Also, the interview cohort was small so I had the chance to talk with all my fellow applicants. I actually enjoyed the interviews, just make sure you have comfortable shoes because there's a 60min-ish tour of the campus.

Goodluck!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey, I thought that the interviews were very conversational and I had 1 PhD interviewer, 1 MD interviewer and 1 student interviewer. The PhD interviewer was the only one who asked about my research, if i recall correctly. Also, the interview cohort was small so I had the chance to talk with all my fellow applicants. I actually enjoyed the interviews, just make sure you have comfortable shoes because there's a 60min-ish tour of the campus.

Goodluck!
Good to hear! I am excited to visit in a couple weeks!

That's what I was hearing? Can you confirm this?

I also received this email chain. Unless I misread it, the apology email strongly implied that we are in fact getting interview invites, but the system just hadn't updated with that status for whatever reason.

Rejected today. My first rejection from anything ever, actually. It was probably about time. :laugh:

Good luck, everyone!

+1. Placed on hold pending phone interview. Complete 10/12. First I've heard back from any school so I'm taking this as a positive thing :)

Did you mean 9/12 or were you placed on hold after being complete for a day? Just curious cause I’m wondering if I should be looking for an email soon! (Was complete by 9/28)

Did you mean 9/12 or were you placed on hold after being complete for a day? Just curious cause I’m wondering if I should be looking for an email soon! (Was complete by 9/28)

Oops! Complete 9/4. Dunno why I wrote 10/12

Rejected. Complete 8/20 and LizzyM 76. I'm hoping for some good news from the University program though.

Members don't see this ad :)
In all seriousness just shoot them an email thanking them for their time and an enjoyable/informative/etc interview.

Got an II yesterday! Complete late July. This program would be the dream! Anyone know what they mean when they said they have far fewer interviews this year so more people get accepted after interviewing? Like the rate?

Got an II yesterday! Complete late July. This program would be the dream! Anyone know what they mean when they said they have far fewer interviews this year so more people get accepted after interviewing? Like the rate?
Yeah they mean a better chance of acceptance after interview because their class size is a tight 32. At the end of my interview day I believe they said they will accept the first half (16) in December along with a bunch of waitlists etc. I can't remember if they told us when the rest of them would go out because I was just amazed thinking how few 16 people is lol. But it's nice to know that there's an improved chance over previous years.

Yeah they mean a better chance of acceptance after interview because their class size is a tight 32. At the end of my interview day I believe they said they will accept the first half (16) in December along with a bunch of waitlists etc. I can't remember if they told us when the rest of them would go out because I was just amazed thinking how few 16 people is lol. But it's nice to know that there's an improved chance over previous years.

Do you have any idea how many they accept total? It has to be over 32 right?

Do you have any idea how many they accept total? It has to be over 32 right?
I am not positive about the numbers or process, and if I am wrong I apologize and hope that someone will correct my speculation - but based on what we were told on our interview day, it sounds like they only ever have a max of 32 spots accepted at one time, so as spots are dropped then more acceptances will go out to those waitlisted, but I guess it entirely depends on what those with the first acceptances will do. I've actually been curious if all schools do it this way but haven't looked into it.

I am not positive about the numbers or process, and if I am wrong I apologize and hope that someone will correct my speculation - but based on what we were told on our interview day, it sounds like they only ever have a max of 32 spots accepted at one time, so as spots are dropped then more acceptances will go out to those waitlisted, but I guess it entirely depends on what those with the first acceptances will do. I've actually been curious if all schools do it this way but haven't looked into it.
Wow, I knew 32 was small, but somehow the idea of two rounds of 16 acceptances is really bringing it home... 16. Wow. :eek::eek::eek:

I haven't interviewed here yet, but I would be unsurprised if they only accept exactly enough people at a time and replace from the waitlist, since they can't really afford to over-enroll. A few larger schools have said they just send out a larger number of acceptances than seats right away, like Vanderbilt, but then they have to be prepared to deal with the potential of over-enrolling.

Most schools use a formula to over accept from my understanding.

Someone told me that approximately 60 are accepted to fill the class size of 32

It depends each year how many in total they offer acceptance. Some years it is lower and other years higher.

Anyone complete relatively late here anything yet? (I was complete end of September)

I got the email last week saying our portals were being slow to update, but still no II. Starting to get worried that I'm truly not going to get one :(

Anyone complete relatively late here anything yet? (I was complete end of September)
I got the email last week saying our portals were being slow to update, but still no II. Starting to get worried that I'm truly not going to get one :(
Complete since mid September, not a peep from either program......

OMG!!! II today! No email, just checked portal!

Reactions: 4 users
II today via email (Lizzy M 75 complete mid July) SO excited!!!!

Rejected post phone interview. Good luck to everyone!!!

Placed on hold back in August, anyone know if they ever extend IIs to people they initially placed on hold?

I sent thank you's to my interviewers, but was also told at my interview to upload them to iApply so they're added to my application file. Will Case also see these letters if I upload them there? Any advice from other people who have interviewed?

Those with an interview that are staying with a host, did you just reach out to someone on the list provided on the portal? Or do we email admissions and they assign someone?
Yes, I reached out to someone on the host list directly.

I sent thank you's to my interviewers, but was also told at my interview to upload them to iApply so they're added to my application file. Will Case also see these letters if I upload them there? Any advice from other people who have interviewed?
same question

Um...did anyone else get an interview decline after already receiving an interview invite??? I called them and they said they’d call me back to see what happened, but I’m growing impatient.

Um...did anyone else get an interview decline after already receiving an interview invite??? I called them and they said they’d call me back to see what happened, but I’m growing impatient.
That's scary :O when did this happen/how long after the II?

Got the boot today. Complete 9/18. Not surprised at all because I wasnt really into research much in undergrad and just started for my gap year job. Good Luck everybody!

Just got II!!! Absolutely one of my top choices so I'm over the moon thrilled.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks so much! Makes sense! Let’s hope it all goes well. :) will update as soon as I hear back.

Hey! Did you ever hear back? And what tips/suggestions would you give to applicants with a phone interview?

Has anyone thats been placed on hold heard any news? I know they say we'll get a decision by 12/31 but am curious to know if anyones gotten taken off hold yet

Has anyone thats been placed on hold heard any news? I know they say we'll get a decision by 12/31 but am curious to know if anyones gotten taken off hold yet

Just to give you some historical info from last year: I was offered an interview in late November after being put on hold in September. I interviewed in January.

Just to give you some historical info from last year: I was offered an interview in late November after being put on hold in September. I interviewed in January.

Do you have any tips for people on hold? Were you offered a phone interview?

Do you have any tips for people on hold? Were you offered a phone interview?

I was not offered a phone interview. I hear phone interviews are a rare thing to receive. No specific tips about being on hold. I did nothing and just waited.

Rejected from College Program this morning, pre-II, on portal only, no email. Complete since mid-September, OOS ORM but underprivileged background, stats in signature.
Good luck to the rest of you!

Also, II to University program this morning, at about 9 EST!

Edit: This was my signature at the time:
Class of 2022!
MD Schools:
19 cGPA: 3.99 MCAT: 521 LizzyM: 77.9
Pre-II: H 1 | R 8 | WD 3
II 6 | IA 5 | A 2 | WL 1 | R -
Canadian Schools (dual citizen): 4 | R 2 | II 2 | A - | WL -

Last edited:
Do updates through the portal go to both College and University tracks?

To those who have interviewed: do they grill you on research? Since it's a research focused program I would think that they ask a lot about past experience?