2017-2018 Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a similar question, I'd rather not live there, but is it worth living in Bard first year just to be able to enter the Bard-to-Towers lottery for second year?
What's the difference between trying out for the Towers in your first year and this Bard-to-Towers lottery?

Members don't see this ad :)
Realistically what do you guys think the odds of getting off this waitlist are? Also, is it weird/in poor taste to let a school know that you will pass on a different acceptance to attend their school?

Realistically what do you guys think the odds of getting off this waitlist are? Also, is it weird/in poor taste to let a school know that you will pass on a different acceptance to attend their school?

When I sent a LOI a week before decisions came out, I explicitly wrote that I would choose to go their school over other acceptances I have from California medical schools (keeping it both specific and vague) and then I got accepted this week! I have no idea the correlation of those two things but I have heard from past students that Columbia likes to know that they are specifically your number one choice

When I sent a LOI a week before decisions came out, I explicitly wrote that I would choose to go their school over other acceptances I have from California medical schools (keeping it both specific and vague) and then I got accepted this week! I have no idea the correlation of those two things but I have heard from past students that Columbia likes to know that they are specifically your number one choice
did you mention those schools by name?

Gotcha, thanks for the input! Congrats by the way too. I just pm’d you as well.

p9ftyTf.png

Are you talking about this? I saw this in the Mayo thread. Columbia is marked as 46.8% yield.

FYI last year's yield is around ~52%. There might also be a reduction in class size this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just called admissions, to their knowledge there will be no waitlist movement until May

I have no idea what to do with the other schools then.. the question is: do I risk not accepting other offers for P&S or do I settle for what I have?..

On a side note: for those of you who got in but are looking to attend some place else, please withdraw lol.. help a bro out

Reactions: 1 user
Just called admissions, to their knowledge there will be no waitlist movement until May

I have no idea what to do with the other schools then.. the question is: do I risk not accepting other offers for P&S or do I settle for what I have?..
I’m confused, friend. You SHOULD accept other offers in the meantime (just make sure you’re only holding one acceptance past April 30 though). If you get off the waitlist at Columbia past April 30, you can accept that offer and withdraw from the school you were previously holding the acceptance to.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m confused, friend. You SHOULD accept other offers in the meantime (just make sure you’re only holding one acceptance past April 30 though). If you get off the waitlist at Columbia past April 30, you can accept that offer and withdraw from the school you were previously holding the acceptance to.

Wait seriously?? Like I know I can accept the offer but you know how April 30 is “decision day”, if I end up deciding on one school that is not Columbia but then get admitted to Columbia afterwards, you’re saying I can withdraw my acceptance and accept Columbia’s offer? If so that’d be dope!

Wait seriously?? Like I know I can accept the offer but you know how April 30 is “decision day”, if I end up deciding on one school that is not Columbia but then get admitted to Columbia afterwards, you’re saying I can withdraw my acceptance and accept Columbia’s offer? If so that’d be dope!
yes, you would even have a few days to decide

That’s a yes, friend :) the rule is to only hold one acceptance past April 30. If you accept Columbia’s offer and give up the other one, you’re being compliant in that you’d only be holding one acceptance offer at a time.

Has anyone filled out the FAFSA or CSS forms yet? Are we supposed to wait to hear back from Columbia for more specific information?

Don't know if this has been asked already, but is there any sort of subsidy for flights to Revisit? Like maybe $200 off or anything like that?

Has anyone filled out the FAFSA or CSS forms yet? Are we supposed to wait to hear back from Columbia for more specific information?

I filled out the FAFSA and CSS a while ago and designated Columbia as one of the schools so they should have it already. As far as other forms goes to be consider for need based aid, I called the office and they said we should be getting our student pin in the next week or so and all documents will be due by the 31st of March.

Reactions: 3 users
Waitlisted. Kinda saw this coming. Does anyone who is a student who was waitlisted have any counsel for those who wanna fight for a spot?

I just wanted to bump this. It seems like there are a ton of WL applicants on the forum- if any current students who went through the waitlist process could speak to their experiences, it would be super helpful for all of us! Thank you :)

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone that was accepted get a notification about merit scholarship? Or does that come later on after submitting all the financials?

I've been lucky enough to be accepted here, and I was wondering if current students could comment on two questions:

1) What's the living situation like? I stayed in Bard Hall for my interview but tbh I don't think I could live there for an entire year. I've heard rent is reasonable in Washington Heights. How common is it for students to live off campus? Is it difficult to find a roommate?

2) How generous are they with financial aid?

Hey! Congrats on your acceptance!! Current student here-- I have LOVED my time at P&S. Could not be happier to be part of this community. I can't speak much to the second question, I think it really just depends on your/your families financial situation. As for the first question, I lived in Bard my first year and really loved it because I think it brought me closer to my classmates. Also, the rooms are fairly large and I had a sink in my room. I don't think its too hard to transfer to the towers, there are sometimes empty rooms in a suite if you don't mind moving in with upper classmen. A few of my friends did that around January of first year. The rent is pretty reasonable in Washington Heights and you could find a great apartment near campus. I'm sure it won't be too difficult to find a roommate-- you could just post on the class Facebook group.

I have a similar question, I'd rather not live there, but is it worth living in Bard first year just to be able to enter the Bard-to-Towers lottery for second year?

If you want to be able to get a suite with you and your friends then yes, I think it may be worth it to live in Bard to be able to do the towers second year. If you just care about living in the towers, you may be able to find a room in a suite with upper classmen. Alternatively, you could find a group of friends during your first year and all decide to live nearby in non-student housing (there are some really awesome apartments that aren't too crazy expensive)

I filled out the FAFSA and CSS a while ago and designated Columbia as one of the schools so they should have it already. As far as other forms goes to be consider for need based aid, I called the office and they said we should be getting our student pin in the next week or so and all documents will be due by the 31st of March.

One of the financial aid PDFs says March 12th as the deadline for all forms... Is it changed to March 31st?

How necessary do you think it is to go to revisit?
I don't think it's vital that you go if you're set on the school, but it's a really great opportunity to meet some of your future classmates and begin to create bonds before matriculating in the fall. For instance, you may begin to make friend groups or choose roommates based on the people you meet.

Anyone concerned about Columbia dropping from the top 10 research schools (USNWR)?

Anyone concerned about Columbia dropping from the top 10 research schools (USNWR)?
As I said in the Yale thread. No one should care. PD’s know Columbia and it doesn’t matter if it’s in 1st place or 15th it’s still Columbia.

If you want to match to MGH it helps to go to as highly-ranked a med school as possible

As I said in the Yale thread. No one should care. PD’s know Columbia and it doesn’t matter if it’s in 1st place or 15th it’s still Columbia.
Unfortunately while it may not be a big deal to you, it certainly is a big deal to a lot of people, including incoming students who want to go to the best medical school possible, and residency directors as well, among others. The fact that a school that has consistently been in the top 10 in recent years has now dropped 4+ places I think is a sign of concern for many of the pre-med gunners.

Unfortunately while it may not be a big deal to you, it certainly is a big deal to a lot of people, including incoming students who want to go to the best medical school possible, and residency directors as well, among others. The fact that a school that has consistently been in the top 10 in recent years has now dropped 4+ places I think is a sign of concern for many of the pre-med gunners.
lmao

And after a 2017 Nobel Prize and huge donation from the Vagelos's, I think this speaks of a lot of bad things hiding in the details at Columbia.

And after a 2017 Nobel Prize and huge donation from the Vagelos's, I think this speaks of a lot of bad things hiding in the details at Columbia.
Or maybe, and more likely, USNWR changed it's ranking algorithm, which wasn't the end all be all to begin with.

Reactions: 7 users

I think the 2017 Nobel Prize and huge donation from the Vagelos family speak for themselves.

Reactions: 3 users

This is a general question- is the USNWR research ranking considered the most important ranking for medical schools? What about the primary care ranking? Columbia is #51 but people on here don't seem very concerned with that? It's not even ranked in pediatrics. Many of the other top research schools are also ranked highly in primary care, peds, etc. I'm just wondering what people think about this discrepancy

This is a general question- is the USNWR research ranking considered the most important ranking for medical schools? What about the primary care ranking? Columbia is #51 but people on here don't seem very concerned with that? It's not even ranked in pediatrics. Many of the other top research schools are also ranked highly in primary care, peds, etc. I'm just wondering what people think about this discrepancy
Research tends to correlate to grant money, which correlates to "success" - there is not much money in primary care, and so while it may be important when considering where to get care, it doesn't mean much for medical school.

Can you provide a link to this information?

Anyone that was accepted get a notification about merit scholarship? Or does that come later on after submitting all the financials?

wanted to bump this -- any MS1s with experience on Columbia's merit aid? Does it have several full-COA like Penn?

wanted to bump this -- any MS1s with experience on Columbia's merit aid? Does it have several full-COA like Penn?
Yes merit scholarships of various kinds exist but not quite as common as Penn. If you qualify for need-based aid, over the next few years you should see the unit loan portion go down though due to the Vagelos donation.

Also let me address the ranking issue. Let's take a look at the 2018 ranking methodology for research found here: https://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/articles/medical-schools-methodology. They look at 6 components: Peer assessment (20%), residency director assessment (20%), total NIH $$ (15%), NIH $$ per faculty (15%), Academics (Mcat/GPA etc, 20%), Faculty/Student ratio (10%). The only component that has any bearing on future residency matches is the residency director assessment score, and that is not volatile from year to year. The reputation of a school's graduates takes time to build, and to think that PDs will view Columbia's graduates as less capable residents due to us news ranking change is rather silly. In fact, here's the link to this year's match list and you can see for yourself: Match Day

I'm not sure why Columbia dropped out of top 10 in us news ranking, but mostly likely its methodology changed. The school's fundamentals have not, and in fact its resources have only gotten stronger over the past year with combined ~1 Billion donation to P&S/CUMC, and that is most likely not taken into account in the ranking. It is unfortunate some applicants will make decisions based on usnews ranking, but you will have all the opportunities to match into the best residencies in the country by coming to Columbia, if that is your goal. Bottom line is you should make your school decision based on fit, location, resources, rather than usnews ranking that can change from year to year.

Also let me address the ranking issue. Let's take a look at the 2018 ranking methodology for research found here: https://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/articles/medical-schools-methodology. They look at 6 components: Peer assessment (20%), residency director assessment (20%), total NIH $$ (15%), NIH $$ per faculty (15%), Academics (Mcat/GPA etc, 20%), Faculty/Student ratio (10%). The only component that has any bearing on future residency matches is the residency director assessment score, and that is not volatile from year to year. The reputation of a school's graduates takes time to build, and to think that PDs will view Columbia's graduates as less capable residents due to us news ranking change is rather silly. In fact, here's the link to this year's match list and you can see for yourself: Match Day

I'm not sure why Columbia dropped out of top 10 in us news ranking, but mostly likely its methodology changed. The school's fundamentals have not, and in fact its resources have only gotten stronger over the past year with combined ~1 Billion donation to P&S/CUMC, and that is most likely not taken into account in the ranking. It is unfortunate some applicants will make decisions based on usnews ranking, but you will have all the opportunities to match into the best residencies in the country by coming to Columbia, if that is your goal. Bottom line is you should make your school decision based on fit, location, resources, rather than usnews ranking that can change from year to year.
That match list is insane