2017-2018 Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That match list is insane
what does an "insane" match list mean?

serious question, i've been looking at the lists for the top schools and they all seem similar to me.
By insane do you mean there are 4-5 IM matches at MGH, UCSF, Hopkins?

Members don't see this ad.

what does an "insane" match list mean?

serious question, i've been looking at the lists for the top schools and they all seem similar to me.
By insane do you mean there are 4-5 IM matches at MGH, UCSF, Hopkins?

Forgive my hyperbole after a 3hr gaming session. I simply meant that the schools matched in each specialty seemed pretty good to my lowly premed eyes after a quick look at doximity

Reactions: 1 users
Forgive my hyperbole after a 3hr gaming session. I simply meant that the schools matched in each specialty seemed pretty good to my lowly premed eyes after a quick look at doximity
haha i see. no wasn't trying to say that you were using hyperboles or anything, just curious for myself too when deciding which school to attend how to "read" a match list.

if a school sends a lot of students in a particular field to one of the "top" (by reputation) schools shown on doximity, does that mean it's a good list?

Members don't see this ad :)
haha i see. no wasn't trying to say that you were using hyperboles or anything, just curious for myself too when deciding which school to attend how to "read" a match list.

if a school sends a lot of students in a particular field to one of the "top" (by reputation) schools shown on doximity, does that mean it's a good list?

I mean how else would you define a good match list?

Edit - went back and read through your posts. I think what you are asking is what makes let's say Columbia's match list different from another top school's?

For me, I look at the specialties I'm interested in - IM, Plastics, Ortho, and EM. I try to see how many people they send to the top programs. Honestly most of the top school's sch pretty comparable but every now and then, you see one that looks particularly stacked. E.g for Ortho, 4 of 9 applicants matched to the top 4 programs in the country

There's obviously biases...like Harvard is gonna match a bunch of mgh and Columbia would send a bunch of people to NYP so if they are the top residency in that specialty, it'd always look good.

Last edited:
This might be a dumb question but for accepted students submitting tax returns to IDOC, should we submit the whole 2016 document or just the first two pages?

This might be a dumb question but for accepted students submitting tax returns to IDOC, should we submit the whole 2016 document or just the first two pages?

From my understanding, we're supposed to submit the whole document

if yall wanna get all anxious about columbia dropping out of the top 10, be my guest. might help the some of us get off the waitlist

Reactions: 2 users
If it's helpful, here's a consolidated list:

Anesthesia
NYP-Columbia
NYP-Columbia
UAB
UCSF
Utah
Vanderbilt

Anesthesia – Pediatrics
Stanford

Dermatology
Brown
Johns Hopkins
NYP-Columbia
NYP-Cornell
NYU
NYU

Dermatology – Medicine
Washington Hosp Ctr

Emergency Medicine
Alameda
Dartmouth-Hitchcock
Harbor-UCLA
Lincoln
MGH
NYP-Columbia & Cornell
NYU
U Chicago

Family Medicine
West Suburban Med Ctr
Greater Lawrence
Main-Dartmouth

Internal Medicine
Brigham & Womens
Brigham & Womens
Brown
Johns Hopkins
MGH
MGH
NYP-Columbia
NYP-Columbia
NYP-Columbia
NYP-Columbia
NYP-Columbia
NYP-Columbia
NYP-Columbia
NYP-Columbia
NYP-Columbia
NYP-Cornell
NYU
NYU
Penn
Stanford
U Washington
UCLA
UCSF
Yale

Medicine – Pediatrics
Maryland
Penn
Penn
UCLA

Neurological Surgery
MGH
NYP-Columbia
NYP-Columbia

Neurology
Brigham & Womens
Brigham & Womens
NYP-Columbia
NYP-Cornell
Stanford
UNC
Wash U
Yale

Obstetrics & Gynecology
Brigham & Womens
Christiana
Duke
NYP-Columbia
NYU
NYU
Thomas Jefferson
Yale

Ophthalmology
Baylor
Mt. Sinai
NYP-Columbia
NYP-Columbia
NYP-Cornell
UCLA

Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
NYP-Columbia
NYP-Columbia

Orthopedic Surgery
Carolinas
Mayo
MGH
MGH
Northwestern
Stanford
U Toronto
Wash U

Otolaryngology
NYP-Columbia & Cornell

Pediatrics
Brown
Childrens Boston
Childrens Philadelphia
Childrens Philadelphia
Hofstra
Northwestern
NYP-Columbia
U Washington
UCSF
UCSF

Plastic Surgery
Georgetown
Brigham & Womens

Psychiatry
Cambridge Health
Dartmouth
Einstein/Montefiore
Einstein/Montefiore
Mt. Sinai
Mt. Sinai Beth Israel
Northwestern
NYP-Columbia
NYP-Columbia
NYP-Columbia
NYU
NYU
Stanford
Stanford
UCSD
UCSF
UNC
USC

Radiation Oncology
Florida Hosp-Orlando
NYP-Columbia
NYP-Columbia
NYP-Columbia
NYU
Penn
Wash U

Surgery – General
Brigham & Womens
NYU
UCSF
UCSF-East Bay

Surgery – Preliminary
UCSF
Vanderbilt

Surgery – Thoracic
NYP-Columbia

Urology
Colorado
Mt. Sinai
Mt. Sinai-Miami
NYP-Columbia
U Missouri-KC
UCLA

What maybe makes it most "insane" is how many people matched into their top choices and into extremely competitive programs. Friday was a very happy day in Washington Heights!

Reactions: 1 user
What maybe makes it most "insane" is how many people matched into their top choices and into extremely competitive programs. Friday was a very happy day in Washington Heights!

where does it say if a program is an applicant's top choice?

Anyone have a guess as to how many people typically come off the WL, historically? Are there really like 800 people on it?

Just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have a guess as to how many people typically come off the WL, historically? Are there really like 800 people on it?

Just curious.
I've been on this neurotic path before and can answer your question - estimates put it at around ~100 people.

Do waitlisted students need to apply for financial aid by the deadline?

Also on the waitlist, and it seems like Columbia uses a NetPartner site for a portion of their financial aid application. This requires a specific login that I imagine only accepted students receive?

did anyone WL-ed do anything special besides sending in a letter of intent/interest? i feel like i don't know how much communication with the admissions office is normal or if more contact makes more of a difference?

Did 100% of Columbia students participating in the match cycle this semester match somewhere? Their email/press release says it was 'another successful year,' but I don't know what that means... Does Columbia typically have 100% match rate?

Withdrew from my WL spot. GL everybody

Reactions: 4 users
Did 100% of Columbia students participating in the match cycle this semester match somewhere? Their email/press release says it was 'another successful year,' but I don't know what that means... Does Columbia typically have 100% match rate?
This year, one person scrambled into a UCSF prelim spot. Last year, no one scrambled. So that's a 99.7% match rate over 2 years, which is pretty representative. The "successful" part has to do with that rate, people matching into competitive programs, and (most importantly) people matching into their own top choices.

How's it going folks? I'm applying next cycle and was wondering if anyone had success landing an interview with "comeback" stats. I for example had an uGPA < 3.0 with a strong upward trend, MCAT > 520 and a 4.0 in a SMP.

Any feedback is appreciated <3

How's it going folks? I'm applying next cycle and was wondering if anyone had success landing an interview with "comeback" stats. I for example had an uGPA < 3.0 with a strong upward trend, MCAT > 520 and a 4.0 in a SMP.

Any feedback is appreciated <3

You placed this comment in multiple forums:I don't think you should spam this comment in every thread. Simply create a "what are my chances" thread in the appropriate section.

Here is the link: What Are My Chances?

Has anyone heard from financial aid yet? I can imagine it might be taking longer with this new initiative with the Vagelos funds but just wondering!

Has anyone heard from financial aid yet? I can imagine it might be taking longer with this new initiative with the Vagelos funds but just wondering!

Pretty sure everyone who went to second look got their package already. I went and got my package and an email confirmation about it yesterday. I remember them saying that they will mail it to the rest of the people this week.

Can anyone that went to second look please describe their experience there/ general feel for the school, students there, location etc

Withdrew my acceptance here. This and Yale were tough ones to withdraw from. I hope it goes to one of you on the waitlist! Good luck everyone:luck:

Reactions: 8 users
Who here is absolutely in LOVE with the Master's in Bioethics program at Columbia because every time we get an email from them they think it's an acceptance?!? :horns:

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone, does waitlist movement begin around May 10th/mid-May for Columbia P&S? Also when people are accepted off of the waitlist, do they call or email the accepted candidates?

Is everyone who wasn't originally accepted put on the waitlist?

Withdrew my acceptance here yesterday - good luck to all!

Reactions: 8 users
I'm on the waitlist and tried to log in to my secondary app account this morning but got locked out. I'm sure I used the right password soo is this some sneaky way of saying I've been rejected? Is anyone else having trouble accessing their account?

EDIT: nvm I'm dumb and was using the wrong password

Last edited:
Also..did anyone on the waitlist get a call from Financial aid?

Congrats! That was really low-key. Did you just miss the call yesterday from Finanaid?
nope. got the call. they were vague about the intentions for calling

Edit - Decided to withdraw. Good luck yall

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
So I have an honest question and I don’t mean to sound silly or anything. I’m an international student who’s on the waitlist and I absolutely will go to Columbia if admitted. I’ve already sent in an LOI (intent), great academic and work updates, and supplemental letters of Recs. I understand that they can accept students up until matriculation but the thing is if I were to be admitted I’d need to file for a visa. And every visa is different for every school (because it gets processed by the schools international office). I kind of want to just call admissions and explain my situation and to kind of also tell them that I really really really would appreciate an acceptance but I don’t want to come off as desperate or unprofessional. Any idea of what I could do, other than wait? Thanks :).

So I have an honest question and I don’t mean to sound silly or anything. I’m an international student who’s on the waitlist and I absolutely will go to Columbia if admitted. I’ve already sent in an LOI (intent), great academic and work updates, and supplemental letters of Recs. I understand that they can accept students up until matriculation but the thing is if I were to be admitted I’d need to file for a visa. And every visa is different for every school (because it gets processed by the schools international office). I kind of want to just call admissions and explain my situation and to kind of also tell them that I really really really would appreciate an acceptance but I don’t want to come off as desperate or unprofessional. Any idea of what I could do, other than wait? Thanks :).

Because at this point, the more I wait, the less time I’d have to apply for a visa and it could take a couple of weeks to even a month or two.

Because at this point, the more I wait, the less time I’d have to apply for a visa and it could take a couple of weeks to even a month or two.
Are you at a foreign university or out of school? Because if you are graduating from a US school, I'm pretty sure your current institution would just transfer your record?

Are you at a foreign university or out of school? Because if you are graduating from a US school, I'm pretty sure your current institution would just transfer your record?

I go to school in the US.

So you already have an F1 visa?

Yes but each F1 is specific to each school. I don’t go to Columbia for undergrad, plus mine expires once I get my degree which is in a few weeks.

Yes but each F1 is specific to each school. I don’t go to Columbia for undergrad, plus mine expires once I get my degree which is in a few weeks.
If your F1 visa is not going to expire after you graduate, you can simply do a SEVIS transfer that would allow you to continue using your current F1 visa at a new program. Doesn't matter if your F1 visa has your old program's name on it - you can use it after a SEVIS transfer as long as it hasn't expired. However, since your visa is expiring soon, you would have to apply for a new visa. Still, I wouldn't call them because of this. It sounds pretty desperate to me.

If your F1 visa is not going to expire after you graduate, you can simply do a SEVIS transfer that would allow you to continue using your current F1 visa at a new program. Doesn't matter if your F1 visa has your old program's name on it - you can use it after a SEVIS transfer as long as it hasn't expired. However, since your visa is expiring soon, you would have to apply for a new visa. Still, I wouldn't call them because of this. It sounds pretty desperate to me.

Thanks for the honesty!! Yea I didn’t want to come off as desperate or naive to the situation, so I guess I’ll wait haha.