2017-2018 Cooper Medical School of Rowan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there still no facebook page?
You guessed it. The school is supposed to be creating a page...Maybe they just forgot? lol

Members don't see this ad.

Question, would a recommendation letter from D.O Dr. positively impact my WL status at Cooper ?

Last edited:
Thanks! Even so, I feel like cooper gives a lot of free time in preclinical years, which is a huge plus.

You will be very busy. Very busy. Nevertheless, you have the opportunity to be an independent learner, as lecture and most labs are optional in regard to attendance. You have a huge amount of flexibility, which is awesome!

spoken like a 1st yr. there is not a "huge amount of flexibility". alg isn't the only thing that's required and labs from the end of 1st year through almost all of 2nd yr are required because of dissection. if you really want a school with flexibilty that respects your time, keep looking and find schools with the least required hrs.

Members don't see this ad :)
spoken like a 1st yr. there is not a "huge amount of flexibility". alg isn't the only thing that's required and labs from the end of 1st year through almost all of 2nd yr are required because of dissection. if you really want a school with flexibilty that respects your time, keep looking and find schools with the least required hrs.
Yeah, how unreasonable for a school to require your presence for dissection. I forgot, work post med school also has optional attendance. Spoken like another lazy silver-spoon fed med student who wouldn't know a true work week if it bit them in the rear.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, how unreasonable for a school to require your presence for dissection. I forgot, work post med school also has optional attendance. Spoken like another lazy silver-spoon fed med student who wouldn't know a true work week if it bit them in the rear.
oh honey, please, sit down. you don't know me. i'm saying your rainbows and puppies picture of what life is truly like at cooper isn't reality. and you know it. unless you're a 1st yr and then you're about to find out. of course dissection should be required and since it's over a year, it's spread out. it adds on 6-8 hours of mandatory time per week. there is not a huge amount of flexibility. just ask friends at other schools.

Lol...if you aren't required to attend classes such as labs/dissection, what's the point of attending med school. Might as well just study for your board exams on your own and not have to pay tuition

Lol...if you aren't required to attend classes such as labs/dissection, what's the point of attending med school. Might as well just study for your board exams on your own and not have to pay tuition
again, that's not the point - see above. the point is about flexibility. if you come here, you'll find it barely exists. and that should worry you.

again, that's not the point - see above. the point is about flexibility. if you come here, you'll find it barely exists. and that should worry you.
can you elaborate on this? how has your experience differed from your expectations?

oh honey, please, sit down. you don't know me. i'm saying your rainbows and puppies picture of what life is truly like at cooper isn't reality. and you know it. unless you're a 1st yr and then you're about to find out. of course dissection should be required and since it's over a year, it's spread out. it adds on 6-8 hours of mandatory time per week. there is not a huge amount of flexibility. just ask friends at other schools.
Life isn't rainbows and puppies either. What did you expect? You're an adult now. And people attending other medical schools are so much happier and have so much more free time? If so, CMSRU alone must contribute significantly to the medical student depression/suicide rates and all of the other students on various threads throughout this forum must be lying. Med school is hard, it's the nature of the beast. But lots of other things are hard as well.

It's called real life. You are in professional school working toward a career that has some of the worst hours imaginable. You can't hide from life forever. Good luck finding a job that offers you more flexibility than what you currently experience (e.g. sitting on SDN on a Tuesday afternoon).

Last edited:
Life isn't rainbows and puppies either. What did you expect? You're an adult now. And people attending other medical schools are so much happier and have so much more free time? If so, CMSRU alone must contribute significantly to the medical student depression/suicide rates and all of the other students on various threads throughout this forum must be lying. Med school is hard, it's the nature of the beast. But lots of other things are hard as well.

It's called real life. You are in professional school working toward a career that has some of the worst hours imaginable. You can't hide from life forever. Good luck finding a job that offers you more flexibility that what you currently experience (e.g. sitting on SDN on a Tuesday afternoon).
you've opened my eyes! "it's called real life"! can I hire you as a life coach?

can you elaborate on this? how has your experience differed from your expectations?
sure. there is a lot of time wasted on extraneous requirements, like these didactic sessions we have that amount to nothing more than repeats of what we hear in other classes or assignments for scholars workshop, a class i can confidently say has taught me actually nothing. i expected my time to be respected. there are requirements that are 100% worth it, like clinic. that's a special thing we do that most schools don't have as much access to. i also expected when a school promotes student wellbeing that they will care about that and not tell students why theyre wrong when they suggest changes or point out deficiencies.

sure. there is a lot of time wasted on extraneous requirements, like these didactic sessions we have that amount to nothing more than repeats of what we hear in other classes or assignments for scholars workshop, a class i can confidently say has taught me actually nothing
Ok...now you are speaking my language...lol

It is bad. But every school has its faults. SW is just a GLARING fault (take that as you will).

Ok...now you are speaking my language...lol

It is bad. But every school has its faults. SW is just a GLARING fault (take that as you will).
i'm glad we can agree on that and i'd hate to meet the cooper student who would defend it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

It's called real life. You are in professional school working toward a career that has some of the worst hours imaginable. You can't hide from life forever. Good luck finding a job that offers you more flexibility than what you currently experience (e.g. sitting on SDN on a Tuesday afternoon).

Honestly a little worried about this. Felt like the interview day was great but did feel like everyone was trying their hardest to sell you on the school. Which is great and enthusiasm is great, but obviously there are negatives to everywhere.

Also really hope its not the norm at Cooper to tell people "honey, sit down" and "It's called real life"...

sure. there is a lot of time wasted on extraneous requirements, like these didactic sessions we have that amount to nothing more than repeats of what we hear in other classes or assignments for scholars workshop, a class i can confidently say has taught me actually nothing. i expected my time to be respected. there are requirements that are 100% worth it, like clinic. that's a special thing we do that most schools don't have as much access to. i also expected when a school promotes student wellbeing that they will care about that and not tell students why theyre wrong when they suggest changes or point out deficiencies.
Thanks. Knowing what you know now, would you choose it over a school like U of A that has a similar focus? Are you happy with the quality of education you are receiving?

Honestly a little worried about this. Felt like the interview day was great but did feel like everyone was trying their hardest to sell you on the school. Which is great and enthusiasm is great, but obviously there are negatives to everywhere.

Also really hope its not the norm at Cooper to tell people "honey, sit down" and "It's called real life"...
What about it made you feel they were trying to sell you on it? What did you feel they were trying to "sell" ?

?

This is an online, anonymous forum. At school, we are professionals just like anywhere else. And neither of the aforementioned comments are hurtful or disrespectful. Mere opinions and phrases.

At the end of the day, everyone is a human being. None of us are 100% lollipops and rainbows, that's not human nature. But again...this is the internet.

Last edited:
What about it made you feel they were trying to sell you on it? What did you feel they were trying to "sell" ?
Well just that every aspect of everything was awesome. Which I mean makes sense to some extent, obviously you don't expect current students and faculty to badmouth their school. That also being said, there's definitely a way to discuss cons of a program or shortcomings in a productive and informative way.

?

This is an online, anonymous forum. At school, we are professionals just like anywhere else.

Yes, I realize that and I think that it is completely besides the point, if you're a nice person you don't have to be nasty on the internet even if it is anonymous. I think many of us are hoping to leave the stigma of being pretentious, condescending, know-it-all's in the anonymous pre-med forums. If someone needs to act professional in order to not be a jerk then that person is probably a jerk.

Also you are representing your school on this forum, so anonymous yes, but still should have some class.

Last edited:
Yes, I realize that and I think that it is completely besides the point, if you're a nice person you don't have to be nasty on the internet even if it is anonymous. I think many of us are hoping to leave the stigma of being pretentious, condescending, know-it-all's in the anonymous pre-med forums. If someone needs to act professional in order to not be an dingus then that person is probably an dingus.
Wow, a person preaching professionalism while calling people names and insulting their character...quite hysterical.

And unprofessional? I can't even count the number of people on this very thread who I have gone out of my way to help. You're a premed and you're criticizing my professionalism over my saying that "this is real life"? It's a completely benign statement.

Get off your high horse. Just because you got accepted into medical school doesn't mean you can turn into the, as you call it, "condescending know-it-all" who judges people's character over the internet. Will you be stereotyping and judging the people you meet in our underserved clinic the same way? The hypocrisy is mind blowing.

Last edited:
Wow, a person preaching professionalism while calling people names and insulting their character...quite hysterical.

And unprofessional? I can't even count the number of people on this very thread who I have gone out of my way to help. You're a premed and you're criticizing my professionalism over my saying that "this is real life"? It's a completely benign statement.

Get off your high horse. Just because you got accepted into medical school doesn't mean you can turn into the, as you call it, "condescending know-it-all" who judges people's character over the internet. Will you be stereotyping and judging the people you meet in our underserved clinic the same way? The hypocrisy is mind blowing.

Well thank you for proving my point. I really liked Cooper and sincerely hope you aren't representative of the students there.

For any accepted student who actually wants to learn more about the great things Cooper has to offer without being confrontational or ridiculously casting people in a negative light while claiming moral superiority, I'll be here to help as always. Professionalism has many different levels and also has a time and a place. I wouldn't expect my doctor to treat a bartender the same way he treats me, if he did he would look like a sociopath or psychopath. Similarly, I don't behave in front of my friends the same way I do in front of a patient (that would be weird). But apparently that makes me a dingus...so be it.

Every school has its faults and Cooper is not immune. However, what Cooper does have makes it special (at least in my eyes), and a large part of why I think it's special resides with the amazing people who live in this community.

Any thoughts or questions, send me a PM.

Last edited:
Thanks. Knowing what you know now, would you choose it over a school like U of A that has a similar focus? Are you happy with the quality of education you are receiving?
i'm not sure. the big issue a lot of students face is they think required time is no big deal and then get to med school and realize they don't learn like that. i think there is a time and place for group work but we have too much of it. i don't know if the grass is greener at other schools but i know i am jealous of the non-required hours they have. i generally think students go into clinical years prepared and with a lot of practice in dealing with patients.

if i was deciding again at the very least i would try to look past the sale pitch and look around. is diversity real or a sales point? do students feel respected and listened to? are there effective resources available to help students out? a lot of this depends on who you are and what you need and you won't really know that until you start school.

Within hours, this thread has become incredibly concerning to me.

Reactions: 4 users
Every school has unhappy people, if you think otherwise, you are in for a rude awakening. Also, lots of students always believe that the grass is always greener on the other side. You won't really know what you like or where you belong until you start, it's a sad fact. However, I can say that I am incredibly happy to be here and I feel fortunate to receive the education that I am being given (and residencies seem to agree, as our match list is consistently impressive). But this is medical school, it's rough, there's no way around it.

Since day one of this application cycle, I've done nothing but take time out from my day to help. People warned me about how malignant this site can be, and after just receiving an awful message in my inbox (NOT from bladelightdesk, my colleague and fellow hater of SW), I'm done. There is no such thing as a good deed.

Adios and best of luck. Hopefully you all end up where you belong. And my last words of wisdom: don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Since day one of this application cycle, I've done nothing but take time out from my day to help. People warned me about how malignant this site can be, and after just receiving an awful message in my inbox (NOT from bladelightdesk), I'm done. There is no such thing as a good deed.

Just an FYI since it may be interpreted as such, it was not from me either!

Every school has unhappy people, if you think otherwise, you are in for a rude awakening. Also, lots of students always believe that the grass is always greener on the other side. You won't really know what you like or where you belong until you start, it's a sad fact. However, I can say that I am incredibly happy to be here and I feel fortunate to receive the education that I am being given (and residencies seem to agree, as our match list is consistently impressive). But this is medical school, it's rough, there's no way around it.

Since day one of this application cycle, I've done nothing but take time out from my day to help. People warned me about how malignant this site can be, and after just receiving an awful message in my inbox (NOT from bladelightdesk, my colleague and fellow hater of SW), I'm done. There is no such thing as a good deed.

Adios and best of luck. Hopefully you all end up where you belong. And my last words of wisdom: don't believe everything you read on the internet.
that is really unfortunate to those who have been weighing their options; you have provided thoughtful insights and even though others might not appreciate it, some of us really do, so thank you for taking your time to help us all out.

Reactions: 4 users
Within hours, this thread has become incredibly concerning to me.
do not take anything at face value on sdn, do your own research to develop insights into what might be the best for you-- every student is different in their desires and opinions.

I had to create an account after seeing the last page of this thread (current CMSRU student and NJ native). Please stick with me:

A. You will find that in every medical school across the United States, there is a healthy population of people who just LOVE to complain. They could be at Harvard or Johns Hopkins on a full ride and still, they would find a way to complain. "Thanks for the free ice cream sundae! But hey, I like chocolate sprinkles, not rainbow!" The isolation that commonly occurs in medical school is often the result of avoiding the aforementioned group of haters. What causes this type of behavior? Falsely thinking that everywhere else is better, poor academic performance and being in a high stress environment. Some of the people in my class LIVE to complain, if they put that energy into something more constructive, they probably wouldn't be struggling the way that they do. This is one potential problem of going straight through to medical school, many lack the maturity and tough skin necessary to thrive in such a high stress environment, but it is what it is, this is not a phenomenon solely at Cooper. These are also the types of students who think that Step 1 should be pass/fail! Get used to complaining, that's all I have to say, and this is for WHEREVER you go (my buddies at Jeff and Temple say the same exact ****).
B. This thread was derailed by someone who felt the need to create an account for the sole purpose of attacking the school (a person who obviously belongs to point "A", above). This happens on almost every thread on this website. When I hear things such as "the school doesn't listen", "people don't care", "we don't have enough free time", "are there truly resources available"; my head just wants to explode. Everybody wants to be the hot shot doctor, but nobody seemingly wants to do the work to get there. When I talk to people in the hospital, and even students from other schools across the river, they say that would kill to belong to such a non-competitive, nurturing environment. But at the end of the day, there is only so much a school can do for you. This isn't Disney World. Part of the onus is on you, the student, to make sure that you are well. There is no hand-holding. And as far as having free time is concerned, there could always be more, but with that said, I believe we have a lot more free time than lots of other schools. I mean, you basically have every Thursday off during your M1 year.
C. Every school has a weak spot in their curriculum, at Cooper, it's Scholars. Luckily, it takes up 2 hours per week (1 hour if you don't go to the optional lecture). The teacher is horrible at explaining concepts and the advisors of the course simply don't listen. It is what it is. I look at it as training for the rest of my life, as I will CONSTANTLY have to do things that I don't like doing one day. But yes, this course should be erased from the curriculum. Will it? Not a chance, because people are loyal to their ideas.
D. Everyone seemingly chased away the only student willing to help, over a comment about this is real life and trying to downplay an angry student? I looked at the posters history and he/she hasn't even been accepted here. If you find the comments above to be "concerning", please give me a front row seat for the first time you get pimped in ALG or in the hospital. I would kill for a "this is real life" comment. And then you get all haughty on professionalism when you are basically cyber-bullying the person? I know this is SDN, but I think ya'll just need to take a chill pill. I had a couple of beers reading that exchange last night and it was pretty funny, the pre-meds never change, they land an MD/DO acceptance or waitlist and then they start telling people who are ahead of them how to act even though they haven't even started yet. Medicine is a hierarchical profession, get used to being nice to people who are ahead of you. Your first WOW week at Cooper, you will quickly learn that you don't have a seat for your bottom if a second/third/fourth year or resident needs a seat for his or her bottom. Snowflakes don't exist in medicine, you will learn that quickly in a few months. And if you are going to attack someone, please, save it for a comment other than this is real life or honey sit down (both of which I have heard 1st grade teachers say).
E. In relation to what was said by @BadSanta and @BladeLightDesk , it's true. You won't know where you should have went until you are at least a couple of months into school. My advice is to go here if you want to help the people of Camden, because guess what???? Nobody else is going to. We attract a special kind of student here (and unfortunately, some students where this was their only acceptance, but admissions standards have become much more rigorous in the last couple of years). If you're not that type of student (you should feel it in your gut), or if you lied during your interview, you may not actually like it here because you probably never wanted to go here in the first place. Our clinic is amazing and the opportunities we have to help out in the community are second to none. I know that this is where I was meant to train to become a doctor, and I know with all of my heart that when I graduate, I will be a doctor that I could not have become ANYWHERE else in this country, due to the experiences I've lived and relationships that I have been able to form.
F. Your expectations will never, and I repeat NEVER, live up to the reality that you will experience. I remember how happy I was once I was accepted and there was a point in my education where I wanted to quit everyday because it wasn't what I signed up for. But you look for the good, and wow, the good is effing fantastic. I remember the first time I went home and cried about a patient, I remember the first time I got pimped and didn't look like a complete *****, and I knew I was doing what I was supposed to. If you look at the small details, med school can look very ugly. But if you focus on the big picture, it's a dream.

If you were too lazy to read all of that, I'm hurt because I put some time into it. Are there bad things at Cooper? Absolutely, if there wasn't they would be championed more than any other school. All schools are faulty. But what Cooper does right, it does amazing. And Camden is the best classroom in the world, it's not a "selling point", and anyone who believes that should pack up and leave.

Reactions: 17 users
I had to create an account after seeing the last page of this thread (current CMSRU student and NJ native). Please stick with me:

A. You will find that in every medical school across the United States, there is a healthy population of people who just LOVE to complain. They could be at Harvard or Johns Hopkins on a full ride and still, they would find a way to complain. "Thanks for the free ice cream sundae! But hey, I like chocolate sprinkles, not rainbow!" The isolation that commonly occurs in medical school is often the result of avoiding the aforementioned group of haters. What causes this type of behavior? Falsely thinking that everywhere else is better, poor academic performance and being in a high stress environment. Some of the people in my class LIVE to complain, if they put that energy into something more constructive, they probably wouldn't be struggling the way that they do. This is one potential problem of going straight through to medical school, many lack the maturity and tough skin necessary to thrive in such a high stress environment, but it is what it is, this is not a phenomenon solely at Cooper. These are also the types of students who think that Step 1 should be pass/fail! Get used to complaining, that's all I have to say, and this is for WHEREVER you go (my buddies at Jeff and Temple say the same exact ****).
B. This thread was derailed by someone who felt the need to create an account for the sole purpose of attacking the school (a person who obviously belongs to point "A", above). This happens on almost every thread on this website. When I hear things such as "the school doesn't listen", "people don't care", "we don't have enough free time", "are there truly resources available"; my head just wants to explode. Everybody wants to be the hot shot doctor, but nobody seemingly wants to do the work to get there. When I talk to people in the hospital, and even students from other schools across the river, they say that would kill to belong to such a non-competitive, nurturing environment. But at the end of the day, there is only so much a school can do for you. This isn't Disney World. Part of the onus is on you, the student, to make sure that you are well. There is no hand-holding. And as far as having free time is concerned, there could always be more, but with that said, I believe we have a lot more free time than lots of other schools. I mean, you basically have every Thursday off during your M1 year.
C. Every school has a weak spot in their curriculum, at Cooper, it's Scholars. Luckily, it takes up 2 hours per week (1 hour if you don't go to the optional lecture). The teacher is horrible at explaining concepts and the advisors of the course simply don't listen. It is what it is. I look at it as training for the rest of my life, as I will CONSTANTLY have to do things that I don't like doing one day. But yes, this course should be erased from the curriculum. Will it? Not a chance, because people are loyal to their ideas.
D. Everyone seemingly chased away the only student willing to help, over a comment about this is real life and trying to downplay an angry student? I looked at the posters history and he/she hasn't even been accepted here. If you find the comments above to be "concerning", please give me a front row seat for the first time you get pimped in ALG or in the hospital. I would kill for a "this is real life" comment. And then you get all haughty on professionalism when you are basically cyber-bullying the person? I know this is SDN, but I think ya'll just need to take a chill pill. I had a couple of beers reading that exchange last night and it was pretty funny, the pre-meds never change, they land an MD/DO acceptance or waitlist and then they start telling people who are ahead of them how to act even though they haven't even started yet. Medicine is a hierarchical profession, get used to being nice to people who are ahead of you. Your first WOW week at Cooper, you will quickly learn that you don't have a seat for your bottom if a second/third/fourth year or resident needs a seat for his or her bottom. Snowflakes don't exist in medicine, you will learn that quickly in a few months. And if you are going to attack someone, please, save it for a comment other than this is real life or honey sit down (both of which I have heard 1st grade teachers say).
E. In relation to what was said by @BadSanta and @BladeLightDesk , it's true. You won't know where you should have went until you are at least a couple of months into school. My advice is to go here if you want to help the people of Camden, because guess what???? Nobody else is going to. We attract a special kind of student here (and unfortunately, some students where this was their only acceptance, but admissions standards have become much more rigorous in the last couple of years). If you're not that type of student (you should feel it in your gut), or if you lied during your interview, you may not actually like it here because you probably never wanted to go here in the first place. Our clinic is amazing and the opportunities we have to help out in the community are second to none. I know that this is where I was meant to train to become a doctor, and I know with all of my heart that when I graduate, I will be a doctor that I could not have become ANYWHERE else in this country, due to the experiences I've lived and relationships that I have been able to form.
F. Your expectations will never, and I repeat NEVER, live up to the reality that you will experience. I remember how happy I was once I was accepted and there was a point in my education where I wanted to quit everyday because it wasn't what I signed up for. But you look for the good, and wow, the good is effing fantastic. I remember the first time I went home and cried about a patient, I remember the first time I got pimped and didn't look like a complete *****, and I knew I was doing what I was supposed to. If you look at the small details, med school can look very ugly. But if you focus on the big picture, it's a dream.

If you were too lazy to read all of that, I'm hurt because I put some time into it. Are there bad things at Cooper? Absolutely, if there wasn't they would be championed more than any other school. All schools are faulty. But what Cooper does right, it does amazing. And Camden is the best classroom in the world, it's not a "selling point", and anyone who believes that should pack up and leave.

Thank you for taking the time to post this

Reactions: 7 users
This thread got kinda weird.. Thanks @BadSanta for your prompt replies! Sad to see you go but understandable. Still hoping to get off the wait list here haha

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not going to let a few rotten eggs spoil the fun. And a few of the posts above inspired me to come back.

Via hearsay, the new word on the streets of Camden is that the FB page, yes, FB page, will begin after second look (it's starting to become a carrot on a stick scenario, isn't it???). Maybe this is because they wanted less non-Cooper matriculants to join...who knows. But it is actually great timing, as you will get to talk to Cooper Village Reps and potential roommates in person first (at second look) before agreeing to sign a lease with a complete stranger via FB.

As always I will be around to answer questions as best as I can without ridiculous comments from the peanut gallery.

PS, at second look...for the love of all that is holy, don't say anything with the phrase "since this is a new school...". We've had 3 competitive matches, are fully accredited, and just received a $50 million research grant. We are no longer a new school, that honor now belongs to NJ's own Seton Hall.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Is anyone looking to live near the school next year? Since there is no Facebook page yet I figured I'd post this here. Attached is a flier for a place for rent. It is walking distance to the school and hospital. A lot of the info can be found at the flier but if you have any questions reply to the post or send me a message.

Attachments

• Room for Rent.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 138
Is anyone looking to live near the school next year? Since there is no Facebook page yet I figured I'd post this here. Attached is a flier for a place for rent. It is walking distance to the school and hospital. A lot of the info can be found at the flier but if you have any questions reply to the post or send me a message.
Seems nice!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

When is the last interview date? Have all the interview slots been filled?

Is it safe to assume that pre-II this is a silent rejection at this point?

Hi! For those wondering about the facebook page, apparently the office of student affairs decided against creating one this year for multiple reasons. I looked into it since I am a current first year at CMSRU who was hoping to find a roommate(s) through it (feel free to PM me if you are interested - I live in Philly). I'm also happy to answer any questions about the school :)

Is anyone familiar or heard of UMED pre-matriculation program offered during summer, 7/2-7/30 for this year, for incoming MS1 students?
Apparently they offer ~$3k stipend to attendees and it seems like a pretty good program to attend.

I want to know more about it from student's perspective.. anyone?

Thanks!!

Any thoughts, ideas, opinions about the PC3 program?

Conflicted because I love IM, but may want to specialize at some point. I don't know if this program is a death sentence for anything but primary care work.

I also don't want to miss out on other rotations that I may love due to the program constraints. Who knows, maybe I'd like peds, derm, psych, etc.

Thoughts?

Any thoughts, ideas, opinions about the PC3 program?

Conflicted because I love IM, but may want to specialize at some point. I don't know if this program is a death sentence for anything but primary care work.

I also don't want to miss out on other rotations that I may love due to the program constraints. Who knows, maybe I'd like peds, derm, psych, etc.

Thoughts?

I'm not suggesting that you apply casually or plan on doing this, but you can 100% drop the program if you fall in love with another specialty, at which point you're just part of the normal 4-year track.

I'm not suggesting that you apply casually or plan on doing this, but you can 100% drop the program if you fall in love with another specialty, at which point you're just part of the normal 4-year track.
I am definitely considering it a lot. I wouldn't even consider it if it were a casual, "why not." So would one, if they decided to pull out of the track, would they be behind, or would they be in line with everyone else? So if I was two years in the program, and I decided to leave the program, whould I have 2 years left? Or would that leave me in a place that I'd lose years? Sorry about all the questions.

I am definitely considering it a lot. I wouldn't even consider it if it were a casual, "why not." So would one, if they decided to pull out of the track, would they be behind, or would they be in line with everyone else? So if I was two years in the program, and I decided to leave the program, whould I have 2 years left? Or would that leave me in a place that I'd lose years? Sorry about all the questions.

If you were two years in and dropped, you'd have two years left. You would just join the class you started school with, no losing years or anything!

If you were two years in and dropped, you'd have two years left. You would just join the class you started school with, no losing years or anything!

Strider how you like it at CMSRU so far?

Strider how you like it at CMSRU so far?
I mean, it's med school, so it's not always fun, but I don't regret it. Every school will have pros and cons and they're very hard to get a sense for as an applicant.

I like that it's a small school and everyone seems very invested in my success. Research is easy enough to find and everyone knows your name, although that also has cons: assume that faculty and admin will hear about any opinions you voice. The school is generally supportive but sometimes frustrating (I'm someone who does plenty of volunteering but hates having mandated hours, even if it's not that many). I have access to a lot of opportunities to learn and the hospital is a tertiary care center / safety-net so it gets interesting cases, and I really like a lot of the mentors who are available to students. I'm a big fan of the block exam system, and I feel like I'm getting a good education and a lot more patient contact than my friends at other schools (one of the things that I've been most impressed with from CMSRU students vs. others: our M3s seem exceptionally good at giving report in the hospital, because we start doing that first year in the clinic). We all help each other out with academics and I've had M2s and M3s make time to talk me through something and offer advice so many times.

On the other side, I wish there were fewer required hours or that the required hours were at least less spread out across the days of the week. There's not always a lot of transparency on administrative processes. We've seen a lot of home-grown exam questions so far instead of more NBME. I don't always feel like I fit in but that might be the case anywhere for someone with my background.

School is stressful but if I'm really having a hard time and I start mentioning it to my classmates, people step up to help. I do like how the school has been deliberate about the choices they've made designing the curriculum (we're not inheriting anything because that's how they've done it since the '60s) but there are still adjustments being made each year to try and make things better.

I'm very much not a good salesperson for the school. A lot of my classmates would do a much better job of that, but if you have any specific questions or if you want to pm I'm fairly likely to give you my unvarnished view. And in the end, if you're looking at schools that aren't leaps and bounds apart, things like culture and location and anything else that will facilitate your happiness should take priority.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know how to withdraw from Cooper? I couldn't find anything on the portal.

How is commuting via septa/patco vs car to/from CMSRU and philly? Want to hear thoughts from current students. I am debating on whether or not I should drive to school every day or use public transportation.

How is commuting via septa/patco vs car to/from CMSRU and philly? Want to hear thoughts from current students. I am debating on whether or not I should drive to school every day or use public transportation.
Depends on where you live. If you can commute solely by patco, do that. If you're making a connection, driving might be easier.