2017-2018 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Enerrior
Just out of curiousity, what was the interview about?
The applicant day felt very structured with the teamLEAD demo and such, but I presume it wasnt the same for F/U interview?
Follow-up interview was just a 1 to 1 interview with one faculty interviewer from the admission team. The interviewer questioned about my motivations to join medicine, and also asked some standard interview questions. It was definitely much tougher than what I experienced on applicant day itself. Lol

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Follow-up interview was just a 1 to 1 interview with one faculty interviewer from the admission team. The interviewer questioned about my motivations to join medicine, and also asked some standard interview questions. It was definitely much tougher than what I experienced on applicant day itself. Lol

Wow, I didn't expect they'd do a second interview at all! Regardless, its a good thing that you've passed that tougher hurdle XD

Hi All,

MS1 here.

Great discussions all around. It's important to weight the costs and benefits to any career. However, motivation to study medicine must come from within (Yoda moment). Where-ever you go, where-ever you may choose to pursue medicine, there will certainly be flaws in the system. Ask yourself - are these flaws enough to make you reconsider your life decision? One thing is for certain - something you will find out very quickly - medicine is difficult and it is a constant struggle. Duke-NUS students are like any other medical students in the world - we are all at the mercy of policy (or whatever you may wish to call it). We are aware of our own circumstances: the cost, the hours, the sleepless nights, and yet we are content doing what we do because the joy of practicing medicine and making other's lives better outweighs our personal sacrifices, yes, even when the future looks uncertain. We know what we said in our applications, and I'll bet that all of us meant it when we said we want to better the lives of others, and that alone is enough to fuel us (although refueling should be saved for another discussion...). The thing about enrolling in a graduate medical program is that you now have the maturity to make a conscious and well thought out decision to pursue medicine despite understanding the cruelties of the world (which I imagine that most 18 year olds cannot comprehend ... no offense). It is going to get much crueler the higher you climb.

So far, my experience at Duke-NUS has been great. Talk around town is that we are less superior than other med grads in SG due to our 4-year curriculum. This is changing, and changing fast. Look around the US and you'll find a 4 year program sufficient to graduate stellar doctors. Thus, ultimately, it is not the 4 year training that determines your worth as a doctor, but how you train in the years after, during residency, that matters. Physicians from the first batch are now consults or A/C, and they are people whom any right minded doctor looks up to. Needless to say, the curriculum here is tough (exams, exams, exams, exam), but it trains us well. Our exam results match those at Duke and the alumni are heavily involved in training. In fact, Duke-NUS is like a family. Our seniors take good care of us, student affairs is always checking in on how we're doing (emotionally and physically), and the education department listens to our feedback and makes adjustments (it truly is amazing how fast changes are made with our feedback). The mantra here is not to be better than other medical schools, but to be the best doctors and advocate for our patients. If you enjoy patient centered medicine, and enjoy a bit of research, this place is for you. As a wise team mate once said - the most brilliant of minds belong in research, and I compel you to come join us if you're ready for the challenge.

Please PM me if you have any questions. I'll be more than happy to help.

Merry Christmas

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Hey mamba4lyfe I am an admitted MD candidate this year. I was hoping to learn more about the school from a current student. I wanted to know if there would be time to pursue research MS1/2. I also would like to know how easy it is to switch to the md/phd course. I have always been interested in medical research, but was intimidated to apply for a full md/phd due to the daunting commitment. Recent experience however has convinced me to pursue a full PhD. I wonder if I should reapply in the event that a student who switches to MD/PHd midway will not like those who join immediately be able to choose mentors from not just duke-nus but also nus and Duke / receive the md/phd scholarship

Last edited:
hi guys,
I'm a Singaporean currently completing my degree in the US. I got an offer for Jan 18 applicant day for MD programme. My MCAT isn't stellar and while I do have some volunteering, research and shadowing hours, it isn't much compared to so many people. Any tips for applicant day?

hi guys,
I'm a Singaporean currently completing my degree in the US. I got an offer for Jan 18 applicant day for MD programme. My MCAT isn't stellar and while I do have some volunteering, research and shadowing hours, it isn't much compared to so many people. Any tips for applicant day?

Hey there, congrats on getting the call-up! I went for the Applicant Day on 11 Dec so I guess my memory of it is still quite fresh! Here are some of the tips that I have for you:
-Be prepared for the TeamLEAD session by reading the article they send you; there will be a short MCQ quiz on it followed by team discussion on the topic. The quiz is not graded or anything, the session is just to give a taste of what TeamLEAD is like!
-There will be different kinds of interviewers, some asking personal/background questions while others may asked ethical dilemma questions, so be prepared to answer them! Rehearse is key, but try not to sound rehearsed? (hope you sort of get it lol)
-The networking lunch is the time for you to know more about the school from the seniors, so go and mingle!

Hope my sharing helps! All the best for Applicant Day!

p.s. Remember to prep the relevant documents!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey mamba4lyfe I am an admitted MD candidate this year. I was hoping to learn more about the school from a current student. I wanted to know if there would be time to pursue research MS1/2. I also would like to know how easy it is to switch to the md/phd course. I have always been interested in medical research, but was intimidated to apply for a full md/phd due to the daunting commitment. Recent experience however has convinced me to pursue a full PhD. I wonder if I should reapply in the event that a student who switches to MD/PHd midway will not like those who join immediately be able to choose mentors from not just duke-nus but also nus and Duke / receive the md/phd scholarship

Hi. I'm not sure I understand your last question, but I'll do my best to address the first few.

Is there time to pursue research during the first and second year?
- most likely not. Our curriculum in the first year is super compact. We learn in one year what other schools learn in two. Sounds daunting, but it works and I wouldn't do it any other way. We enter the wards in second year. That's a full time job. I haven't been to the wards yet, but what I do know is that after the wards you go home/library to study for the shelf (end of rotation exam). Also, there's a 3rd year entirely dedicated for research. It may sound like a good idea to do research throughout all 4 years because you're interested, and I commend you if you're able to do so, but it doesn't sound all that realistic to me considering the workload.

How easy is it to switch to the md/phd course.
- I don't know how easy it is, but they're certainly encouraging it. The transition is simple, send an email to the director, send in an application, and then you're in. All this with the caveat that you do well in the first year and you have the drive to complete a phd. There are certain aspects to an md/phd that is enticing, but there are also other factors that could dissuade you from joining. I encourage you to investigate the md/phd landscape in Singapore and have a conversation with our phd director. You can find his info on the school website.

The md/phd scholarship applies to everyone unless youre sponsored by an external organization like AStar.

BEST ADVICE:
Bode over this md/phd thing - I know you will - but you will have plenty of time to think about this in your first and second year. Congratulations on getting in and go ahead and take the next few months off to enjoy the last bits of your "freedom". Go on vacation, hug your mom, watch that movie, get that tattoo. I guarantee your future self will thank you for this treat (maybe not tattoo??).

We'll chat soon.

Last edited:
Hello all, I am a med school applicant in Singapore who is looking to sell my used MCAT books at a discount price.

I have the

Examkrackers MCAT Complete Study Package (EXAMKRACKERS MCAT MANUALS) 9th Edition

The package comprises of 6 books:

Chemistry
Physics
Biology 1: Molecules
Biology 2: Systems
Psychology and Sociology
Verbal Reasoning: Verbal, Research and Math

And two additional books of

MCAT Psychology and Sociology Review: New for MCAT 2015 (Graduate School Test Preparation)

Kaplan MCAT Biochemistry Review: Created for MCAT 2015 (Kaplan Test Prep)

The books are highlighted in some areas but still in good condition.

Please private message me if you are interested to get them!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, it is kinda bad to start off my first post like this, but I wonder what is the Duke-NUS stance on the recent suicide of one of their students? I am not good with phrasing my words, but I would really want a school that is open about her flaws and shortcomings I believe that as a human organization, it is bound to be imperfect.

Are the supervisors and professors there supportive and kind? Perhaps one way to see is how they treat disciplinary issues.

Hi,

From what I have seen in the news, the victim was a PhD student in Duke-NUS. I am not sure if you are a Singaporean or you have studied in the Singapore education system previously, but the local tertiary education is pretty rigorous and suicide cases are not uncommon. I am a local and had my education in Singapore since young. The local university which I am studying in had one suicide case (I saw the dead body lying there!) and two attempted suicide cases during the 2 years I stayed on campus. All the cases mentioned were not reported as my university suppressed the media from doing so (don't ask me how). But those stuffs can still be tracked on the social media (some with photos as evidence). My seniors told me that you can expect at least one suicide in a local university every year (the case may not be reported publicly).

I personally feel that Singaporean teachers/supervisors are generally intolerant of mistakes made by students. If you made a mistake (be it silly or not), you are more or less blacklisted by your teacher/supervisor (not always of course). Since young in Singapore, we were taught to follow model answers (exam ten year series and etc) and not to challenge those answers. Furthermore, Singaporean teachers/supervisors are also generally very stingy with grades. It is super difficult to get an A for your exam in the local university as compared to overseas university (I studied in an American system during my exchange and As were like freebies for Singaporeans studying there).

No sure if you have already received an offer from Duke-NUS or not. Like someone had posted in this forum before, if you are an international student, choosing to go to Duke-NUS is not just about choosing a school, it is about choosing to live in Singapore for a long time due to the 5 year bond (or probably for life since your medical licence won't really be recognized in other countries), adapting to the Singapore culture, mindset and education system.

Hope that these helps!

Yep I am a Singaporean. I don't think what you say are entirely true, but maybe perhaps I studied in a more relaxed school? I am not your traditional student haha. :p

Haha, yap. Whatever I said here is just my own opinion based on my own experiences. As Singaporeans, I guess Duke-NUS is our only option for graduate medicine locally. Australian or other overseas medical education will cost a bomb. All the best if you are applying to Duke-NUS for the coming intake! :)

Thanks! Yea ahhaha unfortunately Duke-NUS is my only financially sensible choice. :(

Just got my offer today. Went for sept applicant day, got a follow-up interview in Nov. :)
Hi Enerrior,
Congratulations for getting in! Just wondering how did you feel about your interviews on applicant day? I personally feel I didn't do very well for my 2nd interview and I am really hoping for a call back interview:(

Hi Enerrior,
Congratulations for getting in! Just wondering how did you feel about your interviews on applicant day? I personally feel I didn't do very well for my 2nd interview and I am really hoping for a call back interview:(

Both interview sessions were quite relaxed, but I couldn't gauge whether they like me anot. lol. Hopefully you will get another interview to prove yourself. :)

Hi hi, does anybody know if rejection letters have been sent out?
Hi! I heard from a friend who attended the oct applicant day that she received her rejection letter. But that was in early Jan when she received it. So it was probably sent out late dec?

I heard that Duke-NUS only sends out rejections early to those who definitely cannot make it (stats wise) for applicant day. It is pretty rare for your friend's case since she was invited for the applicant day. Did she perform very poorly for her interviews? What are her stats?

I'm not too sure about the finer details apart from her pretty stellar academic scores. I attended a different applicant day from her.

Hi! I heard from a friend who attended the oct applicant day that she received her rejection letter. But that was in early Jan when she received it. So it was probably sent out late dec?

I see, thanks for your reply! :) btw, which applicant day did you attend?

Ok, thanks for your reply. I attended the applicant day for this admissions cycle too! From what I know, Duke-NUS should be sending out the next batch of decisions (offers/rejections) by late Feb or early March 2018. Let's hope for the best! :)

Oh thanks for the input, have been in a state of suspense ever since I went for my applicant day. :scared: And, yeah let's pray for the best! :):) p.s. which applicant day did you attend?

Hi, I will not disclose my exact applicant day date in order to protect my identity. Anyway, I applied in the regular admission cycle. There is nothing we can do now, so just be patient and hope for the best! :p

Ahhh my apologies if my question offended you! I totally understand! And yeah, there's nothing we can do, except to pray and hope for the best!!

To those who got in, mind sharing your gpa and mcat scores?

Hey guys, I have always thought that Duke-NUS only requires applicants to submit one application essay (choose one from the 4 topics), is this information accurate?

Hey guys, I have always thought that Duke-NUS only requires applicants to submit one application essay (choose one from the 4 topics), is this information accurate?

Nope. You have to write for all 4 topics (Personal statement, research, teamwork and adversity/dilemma).

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all, it is kinda bad to start off my first post like this, but I wonder what is the Duke-NUS stance on the recent suicide of one of their students? I am not good with phrasing my words, but I would really want a school that is open about her flaws and shortcomings I believe that as a human organization, it is bound to be imperfect.

Are the supervisors and professors there supportive and kind? Perhaps one way to see is how they treat disciplinary issues.

News says she "had been troubled over work and relationship issues before her death". The school is taking a closed/non-committal stance in response to the event. Since she has been a Duke-NUS student in recent years, some of the current or previous Duke-NUS students would have known her personally? Duke-NUS MD-PhD or PhD students? Why did she commit suicide? Were there any disciplinary or academic issues?

The "troubled over work" bit disturbs me since I am interested in biomedical research, either the MD-PhD or PhD track in Duke-NUS. What is the school environment and research/lab environment like at this school? Is this work issue specific to her lab or Biopolis? Or is it due to the culture or pressure from the school? Are the "relationship issues" related to her supervisors, colleagues or staff of the school?

Doing a PhD is very different from doing an MD. MD is a course work based program, so every student in the MD program generally studies and goes through the same thing. Doing a PhD is totally a different story, how much work you need to do (and how much stress you need to face) depends on who your supervisor is as well as your lab culture. Some labs end work at 6pm almost everyday, some labs are often running at 12midnight. So choose your supervisor wisely, every Prof is an independent PI and him or her decides on your life in the lab.

Agreed! I currently work in a neurogenomic lab (not in DUKE-NUS). I have two supervisors; you can almost sense the polarity whenever I go for lunch meetings/annual progress reviews. Each has their own expectation on what you must accomplish through your candidature. Not like they would eat you up if you don't produce any paper, but they attack you psychologically. A friend in neuroproteomics is going through a hard time because she wanted to extend her candidature(though it's the student's right to apply for one). These may have an impact on her rs w her supervisor. This causes a lot of stress, also impinges on her work. Another friend from neurochemistry, has to do a lot of lab work, including that of his PI (can be unrelated to your project), failing which you get mistreated. So you've got to choose your PI wisely!

As for the PhD student case, I don't think she was 'stressed'. She was a student from Cambridge and the lab she worked for in Edinburgh is as stressful as it is in any research institution.

Considering applying to Singapore med school and have a few queries:

1. What's the typical career progression and salary like after graduating?
2. How many years to become a consultant?
3. Is there a bond?

Thinking of internal med, or fam med but not sure if it's worth the effort at all.
Aren't you in the entering class of 2014?

Last edited:
Hi,

From what I have seen in the news, the victim was a PhD student in Duke-NUS. I am not sure if you are a Singaporean or you have studied in the Singapore education system previously, but the local tertiary education is pretty rigorous and suicide cases are not uncommon. I am a local and had my education in Singapore since young. The local university which I am studying in had one suicide case (I saw the dead body lying there!) and two attempted suicide cases during the 2 years I stayed on campus. All the cases mentioned were not reported as my university suppressed the media from doing so (don't ask me how). But those stuffs can still be tracked on the social media (some with photos as evidence). My seniors told me that you can expect at least one suicide in a local university every year (the case may not be reported publicly).

I personally feel that Singaporean teachers/supervisors are generally intolerant of mistakes made by students. If you made a mistake (be it silly or not), you are more or less blacklisted by your teacher/supervisor (not always of course). Since young in Singapore, we were taught to follow model answers (exam ten year series and etc) and not to challenge those answers. Furthermore, Singaporean teachers/supervisors are also generally very stingy with grades. It is super difficult to get an A for your exam in the local university as compared to overseas university (I studied in an American system during my exchange and As were like freebies for Singaporeans studying there).

No sure if you have already received an offer from Duke-NUS or not. Like someone had posted in this forum before, if you are an international student, choosing to go to Duke-NUS is not just about choosing a school, it is about choosing to live in Singapore for a long time due to the 5 year bond (or probably for life since your medical licence won't really be recognized in other countries), adapting to the Singapore culture, mindset and education system.

Hope that these helps!

You've mentioned that your local university had 1 suicide and 2 attempted suicides within 2 years. How large is your university? The Duke-NUS student cohort is much smaller than a full university if I am not mistaken; it appears significant to have even 1 suicide within this small population (let alone any suppressed suicide or attempted suicide cases). What I gathered from the previous years' threads of this school is there have been at least 1 suicide or attempted suicide cases (which had not been publicly reported) in the past. Is suicide common in your local universities and Duke-NUS? Or is this an Asian phenomenon?

The section where you said the local teachers or supervisors being intolerant of mistakes made by students, and blacklisting students, is concerning. I suppose it similarly happens in Duke-NUS?

Last edited:
Agreed! I currently work in a neurogenomic lab (not in DUKE-NUS). I have two supervisors; you can almost sense the polarity whenever I go for lunch meetings/annual progress reviews. Each has their own expectation on what you must accomplish through your candidature. Not like they would eat you up if you don't produce any paper, but they attack you psychologically. A friend in neuroproteomics is going through a hard time because she wanted to extend her candidature(though it's the student's right to apply for one). These may have an impact on her rs w her supervisor. This causes a lot of stress, also impinges on her work. Another friend from neurochemistry, has to do a lot of lab work, including that of his PI (can be unrelated to your project), failing which you get mistreated. So you've got to choose your PI wisely!

As for the PhD student case, I don't think she was 'stressed'. She was a student from Cambridge and the lab she worked for in Edinburgh is as stressful as it is in any research institution.

If stress wasn't the cause, what caused her to kill herself?

Agreed that studying at Cambridge is intense but I don't know much about her lab situation in Edinburgh.

If stress wasn't the cause, what caused her to kill herself?

Agreed that studying at Cambridge is intense but I don't know much about her lab situation in Edinburgh.

While I understand you are extremely concerned about your decision of wanting to pursue a PhD in DUKE-NUS; I hope we remain sensitive that we are talking about a person, despite no names being mentioned. Lets respect the deceased's privacy.

Any PhD journey is not smooth sailing! Talk to any PIs, they would tell you that their PhD journey was terribly intense!

In the meantime, I find this article (So you want to do a PhD? by Alicia Izharuddin) so well written. The author graduated from Oxford, went to do a PhD in SOAS. Currently a senior Lecturer! I can't seem to link it, but you can Google)

Last edited:
Often those who committed suicide or attempted to commit suicide in my university (my university is large) are not local Singaporean students. Singaporean students are pretty much used to the academic stress in Singaporean/Asian universities. Those Singaporean students who committed suicide or attempted to commit suicide did it not because of academic related reasons, mostly due to relationship problems (e.g. broke up with girlfriend/boyfriend).

As the news suggest, the PhD student may have committed suicide due to relationship problems, so please don't speculate too much and put all the blame on Duke-NUS (although studying in Duke-NUS can be stressful at times).

Duke-NUS Medical School is a Singapore school, you will be taught/assessed entirely by Singaporean teachers/supervisors :nailbiting::nailbiting: The issues brought up about Singaporean teachers/supervisors above are valid and should be taken into serious consideration.

Duke-NUS does have a history of hidden suicides in the past as revealed in previous forums (check out 2015-2016 forum):dead::dead: It is disconcerting how schools downplay and conceal these events. Politically correct PR responses give little comfort to anyone. But oh well, that's PR for you! (The HR department of my company is darned expert at these PR tactics! :D) School wouldn't want to get sued like the way US schools do :rofl:

Just be mindful that Singapore is quite an expensive place to live, transportation system here is fast becoming 3rd world and the rentals here cost a fortune

Wot. Cost of living is only crazy if you decide to buy landed property and own a car. If you exclude these luxury items, it's actually quite affordable compared to other large cities. Singapore is spoiled with efficient transportation and likes to complain every time it has minor delays. Trust me, it's far from 3rd world.

News says she "had been troubled over work and relationship issues before her death". The school is taking a closed/non-committal stance in response to the event. Since she has been a Duke-NUS student in recent years, some of the current or previous Duke-NUS students would have known her personally? Duke-NUS MD-PhD or PhD students? Why did she commit suicide? Were there any disciplinary or academic issues?

The "troubled over work" bit disturbs me since I am interested in biomedical research, either the MD-PhD or PhD track in Duke-NUS. What is the school environment and research/lab environment like at this school? Is this work issue specific to her lab or Biopolis? Or is it due to the culture or pressure from the school? Are the "relationship issues" related to her supervisors, colleagues or staff of the school?

I did an attachment at Biopolis and heard many horror stories about people cracking under the pressure. Especially A*STAR scholars who are essentially bonded for life. There was one woman, Ouyang Xiangyu, who tried to murder her colleagues with paraformaldehyde and another who protested her bond through nude interpretive dance in front of the lab. She had decided she wanted to pursue a career in dancing instead and wanted to leave her research position. But she couldn't leave.

The problem is that if you have a scholarship, you can't drop out of your courses if you discover it's no longer something you wish to pursue. You may want to quit for many reasons (hate medicine after all, hate research, personal difficulties, discover other passions, etc). Technically you can quit but then you're in extreme debt or legal problems. So you're forced to slave away until your obligation has been fulfilled or you crack under the pressure and commit suicide.

Can any current Duke NUS medical students or anyone who is in the know of Service Obligation Agreement kindly tell us the key points of the agreement ? If the students fail to complete the medical course or internship,do they really have to pay liquidated damages?How much?Is it really half a million dollars?

Not a Duke-NUS student currently. But from what I know, how much liquidated damages you need to pay depends on which year you leave the course and whether you hold any other scholarships. You have to pay back whatever MOH has subsidized you and the amount scholarships have paid you plus interests incurred if that amount is loaned from the bank. If you leave the course in year 4, you probably have to pay back around half a million. You can calculate the exact amount using the subsidies listed on MOH website.

Thank you for your reply, Combat Medic.

Some people may leave the course due to unexpected circumstances, such as medical reasons.Looks like Duke NUS MD course is only suitable for the rich.Others will really suffer enormous pressure when studying MD in Duke NUS.I hope Combat Medic is one of the rich.

For the not so rich, there are 2 safer options. Study in a recognized overseas medical school with low tuition fees. Medical schools in Sg probably have the highest full tuition fees in the world. What you see on their websites is actually subsidized tuition fee.The second option is to study in an unrecognized medical school(most likely with very low tuition fees) and then get a recognized specialist qualification. The second option looks a bit risky.

Hey @Enerrior . Do you mind sharing your stats?
Heyyy.

1st class honours but low mcat of 507. Research centric portfolio with a couple of awards in conference and thesis competition. Got a publication in peer-reviewed journal too.

Someone also dropped out due to poor English (since a good TOEFL score doesn't equate to good English ability).

May we know which part of English? Speaking, listening, writing or reading? Also ,are Duke NUS exams mainly MCQs?

Should be due to all of the components of using English, since you need to listen to English lectures and communicate in English in Duke-NUS. If I remembered correctly, that student is from Japan. And yes, most exams in Duke-NUS are MCQ based.

Thank you for your quick reply.Do you know about Duke NUS MD PhD program? Duke NUS MD PhD students have to pay for first 2 years of tuition fees(MD portion). They get back the money only when they start PhD program,right?

Does anyone know when rejection letters will be sent out?
And any successful stories of the appeal process?
I am planning to retake the MCAT (I got 512) but not sure if this will help.

Does anyone know when rejection letters will be sent out?
And any successful stories of the appeal process?
I am planning to retake the MCAT (I got 512) but not sure if this will help.

Your MCAT seems pretty solid. Maybe you will like to share what are the rest of your stats?

Do the admitted ppl know if there has been a facebook group set up? Kind of anxious to secure housing

Have you been invited for the applicant day (interview)? If yes, just wait patiently for the offer or rejection. All results should be out by end of April even if you are waitlisted. Don't think about appealing now. Since there is a waitlist, I personally don't think it will help much by appealing. You will only get the offer if someone else rejects the offer and you are high on the waitlist.
Yes, I attended the applicant day. How many people do you think got offers by appealing?

Your MCAT seems pretty solid. Maybe you will like to share what are the rest of your stats?
I got 3.7 GPA with some research background but no publications.

Yes, I attended the applicant day. How many people do you think got offers by appealing?

I got 3.7 GPA with some research background but no publications.
Pardon me for asking this. Your gpa is on a scale of 4?

If you intend to appeal, what additional thing are you planning to provide to the adcom? If I'm not wrong, duke-nus did mention that you need to provide new stats for them to reconsider their decision. Additional Rec letters aren't very useful.