2017-2018 Feinberg School of Medicine (Northwestern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been trying to find it there and can't... :/
I think they are separate things - the CAESAR info is need-based, and the merit aid is a separate calculation. They are decided by separate entities.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
108k in scholarship, meaning over four years?

Yeah, over 4 years. If merit doesn’t show up on Caesar then it was need based, which I expected to receive. It’s just 27k, but I assumed i would receive it every year.

Anyone know, if it shows "Medical school grant" in caesar, is that only for this year? Ca I count on it for four years?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just stalked the older threads for Feinberg and it looks like if you didn't submit your paperwork for fin aid (guilty!) then you can't see anything on CAESAR. glad to have gotten the email tho! :)

I just called the aid office and they were having some issues with people getting into CAESAR and viewing the aid. It just says "access denied" under the financial aid tab.

So maybe it will be fixed soon? I'm just so anxious to know lol.

Have the scholarships everyone received thus far been only need based? Or have there also been merit scholarships given out?

Financial aid awards are yearly awards based on 83k/year cost of attendance. I believe Feinberg said that financial aid awards are frozen over 4 years so if you get 27k in scholarship this year you will get it every single year.

Reactions: 1 users
Financial aid awards are yearly awards based on 83k/year cost of attendance. I believe Feinberg said that financial aid awards are frozen over 4 years so if you get 27k in scholarship this year you will get it every single year.
Thanks!
EDIT: Yes, the letter confirms is is 27k per year, 108k over all 4.

Last edited:
Yeah, over 4 years. If merit doesn’t show up on Caesar then it was need based, which I expected to receive. It’s just 27k, but I assumed i would receive it every year.
I have the same thing, I think it is need-based; was it called "grant"? Because, and anyone correct me if I am wrong, grant money is need-based and scholarship is merit.

I have the same thing, I think it is need-based; was it called "grant"? Because, and anyone correct me if I am wrong, grant money is need-based and scholarship is merit.
I'm pretty sure grant and scholarship administered via CAESAR/Financial Aid portal are both need-based. The difference is where the money comes from - grants are usually government (federal/state) while scholarships are institutional. But scholarship doesn't necessarily mean merit-based.

Members don't see this ad :)

Did you receive an email about it? I received an email about my scholarship offer and it was stated in the email that it was for merit.

Did you receive an email about it? I received an email about my scholarship offer and it was stated in the email that it was for merit.

I recieved grant money and did not receive a scholarship offer. You don’t get an email about need based aid. I just went and checked Caesar and saw it.

It's need based. Do we think they are done doling out merit? Not gonna lie, kinda depending on it.

Not trying to be too picky over here... but is Northwestern known for being stingy/generous with it's need-based aid? My parents' AGI is around 120k and while I'm hardly struggling, they're definitely not helping with this 87k/year cost of attendance. I was kinda hoping for something, but I guess there's always those 300k worth of loans to look forward to haha...

Does merit aid come to the Northwestern email account or your AMCAS email?

also got the alternate list..the email/portal sound more encouraging than they should it seems like...wow the med school application SUCKS :) hang in there my fellow WLers across schools!!

Huge congrats to those who have received merit scholarships! Could you let us know whether the email came form the FinAid office or from Admissions? Trying to figure out who I should contact to ask about whether they've given out all merit scholarships already. Thanks!

Huge congrats to those who have received merit scholarships! Could you let us know whether the email came form the FinAid office or from Admissions? Trying to figure out who I should contact to ask about whether they've given out all merit scholarships already. Thanks!
it came from medicalapp@northwestern! I'm not really sure where that fits between the two offices, but I remember reading on last year's thread that people had luck calling the financial aid office to ask about merit scholarships. good luck! :)

Also, there is a facebook page for the Class of 2022 now titled "Northwestern University - Feinberg School of Medicine Class of 2022"

If anyone is attending both Michigan and Northwestern second looks and wants to road trip together Friday evening, I’m planning to rent a car and drive!

Has anyone else who got deferred still heard nothing? I interviewed in the fall, and my portal says that I will hear a final decision in March, but I still have heard nothing.

Withdrawing my acceptance today after some news from other schools. Hoping for the best for all of you!

I loved this school but ultimately withdrew today. Hope someone gets good news soon!

Does anyone know when Feinberg waitlist movement occurs?

Withdrew my acceptance. GL everybody

Reactions: 2 users
What are the outcomes for waitlisted people?

Withdrew acceptance today. Hope someone gets the grant! Good luck

Also withdrew my acceptance today!! Good luck to everyone :)

Withdrawing as well. It seems we're supposed to email them—does that seem right to everyone else?

Just withdrew. This was the hardest one as I enjoyed second look; however I got into my top choice. I hope this acceptance (and full tuition merit scholarship) goes to someone who needs it.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats! Was it via phone call or email?
Thanks! Dr. Kundu just called me, she said she would send official email. If you’re curious, I sent an update, a letter of intent, had current students put in a good word for me, and visited the admissions office in person, all to get off the alternate list

Thanks! Dr. Kundu just called me, she said she would send official email. If you’re curious, I sent an update, a letter of intent, had current students put in a good word for me, and visited the admissions office in person, all to get off the alternate list
Congrats and welcome to the class!!

Dr. Kundu just called me this morning notifying me that I got off the waitlist, literally one of the best moments of my life.

Reactions: 9 users
Dr. Kundu just called me this morning notifying me that I got off the waitlist, literally one of the best moments of my life.
+1!!!! I literally cried on the phone and she was laughing haha.

I also got the email but did anyone else's portal not change?

Reactions: 3 users