2017-2018 Florida Atlantic University (Schmidt)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

CASPer lists FAU as one of the schools utilizing them, but I can't find any info about it on FAU's website. Anyone know anything about this?

CASPer lists FAU as one of the schools utilizing them, but I can't find any info about it on FAU's website. Anyone know anything about this?

If it's on the list I'd assume it's just going to be one of those "here's your secondary, and also you need to take the CASPer" situations.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it's on the list I'd assume it's just going to be one of those "here's your secondary, and also you need to take the CASPer" situations.
I figured, I was just hoping to get some info on whether they will review applications as long as you're registered for a test, or if they make you wait until you get your results which could take up to a month from my understanding.

I figured, I was just hoping to get some info on whether they will review applications as long as you're registered for a test, or if they make you wait until you get your results which could take up to a month from my understanding.

I'm sure all schools do it in a similar manner where they'll assess applicants as a whole based on stats, ECs, secondaries, etc. Then use CASPer as more information when it comes in. To my knowledge most of the CASPer schools won't be giving out interviews without CASPer coming in anyways, so we've all got time. You may just want to give them a call. Any Admissions Office rep that I've spoken to has been incredible sweet and pleasant to talk to.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't you need like a super high MCAT for FAU?

Don't you need like a super high MCAT for FAU?
I think their reported median on MSAR is a 512, although I have heard that the actual mean is ~ 510. Definitely more competitive to get into though considering they only accept ~ 64 students, and many of those 64 spots go to people in their various 3+4 combined programs.

I think their reported median on MSAR is a 512, although I have heard that the actual mean is ~ 510. Definitely more competitive to get into though considering they only accept ~ 64 students, and many of those 64 spots go to people in their various 3+4 combined programs.

Yeah I'm not even going to bother. Gonna be realistic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...Still no secondaries for anyone??
I'm hoping they're taking this long due to them realizing that the Casper test was a bad idea and removing it out of their secondaries haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. FAU is taking there time
upload_2017-7-18_16-48-35.png

Reactions: 5 users
Secondary received

Make sure to take the CASPER ASAP! I heard it takes approximately 2-3 weeks for CASPER to grade and distribute your scores. This can push your file from being complete by weeks!!

Make sure to take the CASPER ASAP! I heard it takes approximately 2-3 weeks for CASPER to grade and distribute your scores. This can push your file from being complete by weeks!!

Don't even understand how this could be the case, we've had like what, 2 sittings of CASPER out of 10 total for the year? How can they fill a majority of seats by December like many schools do with how infrequently the test is administered and how long it takes to grade it?

Luckily mine is next week but I'm hoping they start reviewing apps before my grade comes back - September seems super late to look at a secondary from someone who submitted the day it was released :confused:

This secondary is a mammoth.. honestly thank you FAU for not sending this during the bombardment of secondaries at the beginning of the cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Per the email with the secondary application link: "In order to be considered for admissions, all applicants to the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at Florida Atlantic University are required to complete a mandatory online 90 minute computer-based test (CASPer™), to assist with our selection process. Successful completion of CASPer is mandatory in order to maintain admission eligibility. CASPer assesses for non-cognitive skills and interpersonal characteristics we believe are important for successful students and graduates of our program and will complement our other applicant screening tools. In implementing CASPer, we are trying to further enhance fairness and objectivity in our selection process..... Please make sure you take the test as soon as possible to ensure you are considered for admissions."

Does the secondary have the same questions from last year? If not, can someone please post them :) ?

Use this area to justify and/or explain any academic hardships on your transcripts (any failed and/or repeated courses due to any reason)

Whether or not you will be a full-time student, please provide details of your activities/employment for the application year. (1200 Character limit)

Tell us why you would like to be admitted to the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at FAU. (1600 Character Limit)

Tell us about your most meaningful community service experience. (not related to patient care if none, please write none) (1600 Characters)

Tell us about your leadership experience(s) and/or key leadership skills. (Organized a fund raiser, club/organization officer role, how do you motivate or influence people, if none, please write none) (1600 Characters)

Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician (if none, please write none)

Describe what you would bring to the practice of medicine – your values, skills, talents, and life experiences – and how you would add to the cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity of the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine. (1600 Characters)

Tell us about your most meaningful employment experience. (not related to patient care, if none, please write none)

Anyone else taking the CASPer today just because of this school?

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know when the July 26th CASPer scores get transmitted to FAU?

Anyone know when the July 26th CASPer scores get transmitted to FAU?

We'll never know, they make a point to keep us in the dark. I've heard it takes 3-4 weeks on average to score and distribute to schools.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just added this school and received a secondary right after! Casper date 7/9 so my score sent pretty quick

Did anyone receive a file complete email or have a change in their portal that reflected receipt of CASper after secondary completion?

Did anyone receive a file complete email or have a change in their portal that reflected receipt of CASper after secondary completion?

Nope. I submitted earlier this week and took Casper 7/9 but no updated status since submitting. What about you guys?

Does this school wait for Casper results to send II?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It says something along the lines of 'make sure you take your casper asap so we can review you' after you submit your secondary so guessing so

Any IIs go out yet? Still waiting on the 7/26 CASPer scores to get sent...

Wondering that too. Their class size is relatively small, so I'd expect less invites but it sounds like no one's heard anything yet

Does anybody here go to FAU or does anyone here know someone on SDN that goes to FAU?

TIA!

I have several friends at the med school, but I don't think they're on SDN. Why do you ask?

I'd like to hear a students perspective on a few things. Would you be willing to put me in touch?

7/26 CASPER scores have definitely been sent, my other schools have gotten them, my portal hasnt changed from telling me to complete CASPER tho. I'm guessing this is the same for everyone?

I'd like to hear a students perspective on a few things. Would you be willing to put me in touch?
If you send me some questions through PM, I can try to get my friend to respond to them. No promises though-- they're all buried in textbooks these days haha. You can also dig through last year's thread for FAU and find SDN users who reported that they were accepted and attending. You can then try and send them a message!
7/26 CASPER scores have definitely been sent, my other schools have gotten them, my portal hasnt changed from telling me to complete CASPER tho. I'm guessing this is the same for everyone?
Yep, same here

Oh I didn't realize that since this was the only school that needed Casper. My application still only says secondary received.

Have there been any II?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7/6 Casper. Does everyone's status just say "secondary app completed"? No confirmation of letters, Casper scores etc.