2017-2018 Florida Atlantic University (Schmidt)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am a current M4 at FAU so I figured I could provide some insight.

Being a newer school there are less well-established research apparatus consisting basic science labs and ongoing clinical trials when compared to institutions that have been around longer. This is no surprise. However, there are still tons of projects you can be involved in that range from basic science, clinical outcomes, case reporting, and whatever else. There are basic science labs in the medical school and at Scripps. A lot of research is ongoing at our affiliate hospitals as well. Other research opportunities include ongoing projects with medical/surgical/emergency medicine residents and attendings (I was involved in a few of these and got a number of peer-reviewed publications, one recently in the American Journal of Emergency Medicine). A few of my classmates were also able to land insane research positions at places like Hospital for Special Surgery (#1 ortho hospital in the country). He was able to publish like 20-something peer-reviewed papers and is likely going to match really well in ortho. The one thing I will say is that the surgical research is going to take some time to develop (given the nature of surgical research and the necessity to establish a large surgical department). However, in my time this has been built up as well. In the end, I had 4 peer-reviewed publications, 15 posters, and 4-5 research experiences that were included on my residency application. So there is plenty to go around.

I'm writing this because I realized how awesome FAU was after I interviewed at all these places and other medical students told me how much they hated their medical school. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.
How are students able to be that productive when it appears a lot of the research is done out of state over the summer?

Members don't see this ad.

Either people take a year off during their 3rd/4th year because they're trying to go into something really competitive and match at a top program in that specialty. Or they take the summer after their first year to start research projects which they will continue to work on during the next two years. Otherwise, you just get the projects done piece by piece during the academic year. It sounds like a lot but over the course of four years you can really make a lot happen. The less mandatory BS your school makes you do, the more time you will have to dedicate to meaningful research. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't seem to find information on it, but is there a pre-interview meet-up the day before? I'm interviewing on the 15th

Admissions committee review complete! Ahh

Same! Do we still have to sit in suspense until Friday...?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile
I think so!

I'm honestly not expecting much so I am doing okay at staying chill. It's still making me go ahhhh to know they made their decisions already haha

I think so!

I'm honestly not expecting much so I am doing okay at staying chill. It's still making me go ahhhh to know they made their decisions already haha

I got my days a couple days early I think (maybe just one day idr) so keep that in mind! Good luck!

II received on 2/12! Scheduled it for 2/20. Completed secondary in July I think. Does anyone know the average turnaround time for post-II decisions?

II received on 2/12! Scheduled it for 2/20. Completed secondary in July I think. Does anyone know the average turnaround time for post-II decisions?
It's about a month- they'll give you a date at the end of your interview day about when you'll hear back from them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not accepted. Bummed. OOS, interviewed 02/09.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Alternate list, pretty much what I expected at this point in the cycle.

Does anyone know when the last interview date is (or was)?

Rejected- received an e-mail today that they've completed their selection for the incoming class.

Can anyone with access to the MSAR tell me how many people they waitlist and how many are accepted from there, if they report it...
my subscription expired a bit ago

thanks guys

Waitlisted (checked the portal today, interviewed on 2/15). I have a few acceptances that I'm also happy with so I'll probably withdrawal, hopefully y'all move up a slot!
did you get an email?

Has FAU started sending out Second Look invites to those Accepted or on Alternate List ?

Does anyone know if they send all of the Second Look invites on the same day? Monica didn't tell us anything about that, from what i remember.

Anyone received Second Look invites ? Are you on Accepted or Alternate List ?

Has anyone received Second look invite ? Last year thread shows invites went out on Mar 22nd .

I believe that it is the Welcome Back event that is on: Saturday, April 21, 2018. Formal invitation is still to follow. Email from March 13th.

If anyone is still curious about the recent match results

Attachments

• FAU Schmidt College of Medicine MATCH LIST - 2018.pdf
    407.2 KB · Views: 199
Thanks for the update. I see two people on Accepted list - received Second Look email.
Anyone on Alternate List received the second look email ?

Ready to Tattoo this on my chest !...FAU call me for second look plz...... upload_2018-3-22_17-50-5.jpeg