2017-2018 Florida International University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
How long was it between the status change and II?

I checked my status last night and saw that it was changed to Preliminary Review Complete at 4pm yesterday and then this morning at 9am I received an email inviting me for an interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Mine just changed to that too but no II yet, was it email or phone

Fwiw I was one of the first people to have that status (7/7) and no II here

So... has anyone received any acceptance information in the mail? I am starting to feel like the call was a dream :(

II this morning!!

LizzyM ~71. Complete around August 30th.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So... has anyone received any acceptance information in the mail? I am starting to feel like the call was a dream :(
Be patient, you'll receive the packet soon enough. Just enjoy that you're in and prepare to start!

Waitlisted bummer
Hey I was WL too what were your stats? Only asking, because my focus as a future medical student lined with their school's mission statement so well. And I felt like the interview went well. I know there were amazing candidates who had better numbers than I did, so I wanted your input to see if maybe they used numbers to help decide the final decision.

Reactions: 1 user
521/3.8/ solid enough ECs. Interviewer said they loved me. I liked the school a lot too. Idk seems like med schools cut a chickens head off and where it lands is the final decision, can't get hung up on it.

521/3.8/ solid enough ECs. Interviewer said they loved me. I liked the school a lot too. Idk seems like med schools cut a chickens head off and where it lands is the final decision, can't get hung up on it.

Wow you are a very solid applicant! You will get in some where for sure. There's a very subjective component to all of this, even if objectively you should have got in. I'm sure you're very high on the waitlist!

Interviewed here yesterday and fell in love with the school! They really talk you up like you are going to get in for sure! Really got my hopes up. Everyone there is so nice and welcoming. The interviews are the most chill I've ever had!

Last edited:

With your stats I would say that the school probably doesn't think you would actually attend and go to another school. If you send a very well written letter of intent on how you really want to go there (if you actually do) you would get an acceptance

With your stats I would say that the school probably doesn't think you would actually attend and go to another school. If you send a very well written letter of intent on how you really want to go there (if you actually do) you would get an acceptance

They may have gotten yield protected, but doesn't this usually happen pre II? I don't know why they would invite someone and have them come all the way just to reject them on an assumption

They may have gotten yield protected, but doesn't this usually happen pre II? I don't know why they would invite someone and have them come all the way just to reject them on an assumption
That's a fair point I still think a strong letter of interest in the school and its mission might help.

Random but did anyone's interviewer ask them questions in Spanish?
They should only do this if you indicate that you speak Spanish somewhere on your app.

The reason is because they are in a very Hispanic area, a big bonus for your app here is if you are fluent in Spanish. A lot of people therefore lie and say they can speak Spanish to get a boost in their app, even though they don't really know much.

Wow you are a very solid applicant! You will
I'll go with that for the ego boost. Yeah I've heard that helps maybe I'll do that come April

Chillest interview imaginable. Students and faculty genuinely gave off the vibe that the school wants their students to succeed which is a huge plus. We weren't told anything about when we could expect to hear back, but I don't want to be a "neurotic premed" as Dean Jones said we are. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chillest interview imaginable. Students and faculty genuinely gave off the vibe that the school wants their students to succeed which is a huge plus. We weren't told anything about when we could expect to hear back, but I don't want to be a "neurotic premed" as Dean Jones said we are. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you interviewed this past Friday, they told us we would hear back the week of Nov 27 during the closing remarks.

Looking for some advice guys. I submitted my primary, but never got to submitting my secondaries here. I have since received emails from FIU asking me to submit secondaries. I am wondering of it makes any sense this late in the game. I have applied to 25 schools, received 2 IIs and am hopeful of getting a few more given that most of my applications were complete late August. I am OOS, ORM, LizzyM 70.

Looking for some advice guys. I submitted my primary, but never got to submitting my secondaries here. I have since received emails from FIU asking me to submit secondaries. I am wondering of it makes any sense this late in the game. I have applied to 25 schools, received 2 IIs and am hopeful of getting a few more given that most of my applications were complete late August. I am OOS, ORM, LizzyM 70.

Likely a generic email, and it is also very late in the game. Coupled with being OOS, I personally wouldn't be too keen on submitting at this point.

But if you'll regret it down the line and have money and time to blow, then by all means.

Some data from an earlier post to help you decide

I think the MSAR Data is the best information you will get on this topic. According to the MSAR data they had 2,369 OOS applicants and interviewed 108 of those 21 matriculated compared to 2,414 instate applicants of which they interviewed 442 and matriculated 105.

Never thought I would see the day "secondary application completed" turned into "preliminary review completed" lol. I stopped checking weeks ago so I have no idea when it changed, but lets see what happens

Still secondary app completed, ahhhhh

Anyone been stuck on prelim review complete since hella early on? Think I'm entering my 4th month with it...

When did your status change to preliminary review completed?

Mine never did. Stayed at Secondary App complete till I got my II. I would not read much into your status here.

Reactions: 2 users
Waitlisted. Really bummed. Looks like I won't be staying home near my family

Waitlisted and will be withdrawing. Best of luck to everyone who wants to go here!

At the interview they said that last year they didn't accept anyone off the waitlist

Why have a waitlist then? Not questioning you, I just find this to be strange.

Why have a waitlist then? Not questioning you, I just find this to be strange.
I️ believe last year was the first year they didn’t accept anyone from it but every other year they did

Waitlisted. Really bummed. Looks like I won't be staying home near my family

I'm sorry, friend. When you interviewed did they tell your group you could expect to hear back this week?