2017-2018 Geisel School of Medicine (Dartmouth)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II !
Anyone know what the interview day is like here? Any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
513/3.83, MS in biomedical science,3.75gpa, 4 pubs (1 first/1 second author), solid ec's all around, non trad, orm
im sorry :( that sucks, but with those stats, you'll get lots of love from other places!! may I ask when you were complete?

Reactions: 1 user
Was anyone able to set up a stay with a student host? How did you go about this? Thanks in advance!

Was anyone able to set up a stay with a student host? How did you go about this? Thanks in advance!
They send you a link for student host postings when they confirm your interview date and then you can just email a host to set something up

Members don't see this ad :)
II! So shocked and excited. This was my big reach school. LM ~70, non-trad. Complete late August

Reactions: 4 users
I'm really hoping I get an acceptance here next week... I interviewed late Sept., so I have a feeling it might be too soon to hear back, but a woman can dream.

I'm really hoping I get an acceptance here next week... I interviewed late Sept., so I have a feeling it might be too soon to hear back, but a woman can dream.
wow u have 20 interviews LOL

wow u have 20 interviews LOL
That's kind of why I want to know from these folks sooner rather than later. That way I can cancel some of the other interviews, let them go to people who truly want them, and save me the stress and money of attending. But yeah.. I'll stop whining now. I'm in no position to.:lame:

Did anyone list lab courses on the secondary that align with the general biol/physics/chemistry classes?

That's kind of why I want to know from these folks sooner rather than later. That way I can cancel some of the other interviews, let them go to people who truly want them, and save me the stress and money of attending. But yeah.. I'll stop whining now. I'm in no position to.:lame:
I can't help myself...I'm dying to know what your hook is to pull a 0.7 primary:interview ratio. PM me if you prefer/don't want to derail.

I can't help myself...I'm dying to know what your hook is to pull a 0.7 primary:interview ratio. PM me if you prefer/don't want to derail.
Haha, no worries! I took two weeks off work to write my secondaries, so I really put in a lot of effort to each one of them, as well as the primary. That definitely helped. My answers were strong, and one of my professors read them over and gave me feedback as well. Other than that, I feel like my activities aren’t cookie-cutter at all, which helps as well. That’s my guess, but who knows. Does that answer your question?

Haha, no worries! I took two weeks off work to write my secondaries, so I really put in a lot of effort to each one of them, as well as the primary. That definitely helped. My answers were strong, and one of my professors read them over and gave me feedback as well. Other than that, I feel like my activities aren’t cookie-cutter at all, which helps as well. That’s my guess, but who knows. Does that answer your question?
fair enough! I was thinking you were the sole surviving member of a native american tribe or something!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! I interviewed in mid-September too and I have in my notes that they weren't going to be sending out decisions until January or February. What a nice surprise!
They said the rockstars will get early offers. Everyone else will wait until they get a sense of what the cutoff score will be (ranking between accept vs waitlist), which could be as late as march.

I have a feeling it's gonna be a looonnggg cycle post-II

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed here late Sept. Can't wait to hear back! Was told they accept around 30-40% post-II (extending far into the cycle). Hope that info helps all who applied.

Withdrawing from my II, hopefully that leads to one of y'all getting some good news!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys!

So happy to see you all getting invites and getting in, but I have a really dumb question:

My referee is taking some time to send the letter but it's the only one left before my file is complete. Should I remove the referee from my list so that my file can be looked at or should I just wait ? Also, do they look at files that have everything except for one or two letters of reference? (I have 6/7 submitted)

GOOD LUCK :)

Hey guys!

So happy to see you all getting invites and getting in, but I have a really dumb question:

My referee is taking some time to send the letter but it's the only one left before my file is complete. Should I remove the referee from my list so that my file can be looked at or should I just wait ? Also, do they look at files that have everything except for one or two letters of reference? (I have 6/7 submitted)

GOOD LUCK :)
I am almost positive that yes, they will look at your file as long as you have the minimum number of letters. I'd email Giesel to confirm, but my thinking is that review now >>>> a seventh letter. Good luck!

Question for current students: I'm a prospective applicant for next cycle, enjoy outdoor recreation and especially winter sports. In this regard, Dartmouth would be a perfect school for me. However, I'm concerned about being single and the dating scene in Hanover. I imagine the only young professional singles would be in the medical school class or other graduate students. How has this impacted your experience at Dartmouth, and is this a valid concern?
Marry one of the Tuck students and ya'll can retire at 45.

Reactions: 2 users
I was wondering about meeting someone at Dartmouth too but I will worry no longer!

Rejected early this morning. Complete 7/25

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Going to stay in Hanover for 2 days after my interview... Any current students have recommendations for things to do? Places to eat or hike? Trying to get a feel for the area and it would be much appreciated!