2017-2018 George Washington University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, do you guys know if adcoms are taking Columbus day off? Probably, right? Poor people are slaving away on our apps.

Members don't see this ad.

Completed 8/28, placed on re-review hold sometime in the last week (been vacationing to try and maintain my sanity sorry not sorry)

Hey guys got an II today!!!!! complete 09/06! I thought I was complete earlier but letters actually came in on 09/06. Everything else was done by 08/28

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have an idea on when they may send out acceptances? I know they can't do it until October 15th, but I was curious if anyone has heard an estimation.

Hey all, not sure how significant this is but I was marked complete on 07/22 and placed on hold for re-review. However, I submitted two post-secondary updates (most recent on 10/03) and just noticed today that my status has switched from "re-review" to "Your application is under review." Anyone else have this switch?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all, not sure how significant this is but I was marked complete on 07/22 and placed on hold for re-review. However, I submitted two post-secondary updates (most recent on 10/03) and just noticed today that my status has switched from "re-review" to "Your application is under review." Anyone else have this switch?
when was your first update? I sent one update and mine still re review

Reactions: 1 user
when was your first update? I sent one update and mine still re review
First update 08/25/17 was a pub in review, second update 10/03/17 was a community outreach update!

Re-review. Complete early August but second MCAT score came in 8/28.

Waitlisted today :/. Early August interview. Guess I'll likely have to wait until April to find out now. So if you interviewed early August and don't hear back this week, maybe good news for you next week?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted today post August interview :(

Waitlist. Interviewed first week of September. Good luck to those waiting to hear and those on the waitlist!

Reactions: 3 users
got the alternative list email as well today kind of upset because gw is my first choice any advice?

got the alternative list email as well today kind of upset because gw is my first choice any advice?
You could send a letter of intent to show that you're serious/they're you're first choice.

Did anyone who interviewed mid September hear anything back so far?

SO this means that everyone else that interviewed in August is either going to get accepted or get rejected?!? THE PRESSURE IS KILLING ME. To all the people who got waitlisted, what time did you find out? Was it on the portal or did you get an email?

SO this means that everyone else that interviewed in August is either going to get accepted or get rejected?!? THE PRESSURE IS KILLING ME. To all the people who got waitlisted, what time did you find out? Was it on the portal or did you get an email?
Email. 10am today

Are those just August and early September interviews? I interviewed the second week in September and didn't hear anything yet...

For those waitlisted, did your portals update?
"The Committee on Admissions is pleased to inform you that you have been selected as an alternate for the first year class of the program leading to the Doctor of Medicine degree. A final decision has yet to be made regarding an acceptance."
This is what my portal now says

Hey everyone, current student here. GW pretty much waitlists everyone they do not accept outright. They NEVER reject post interview unless you did something egregious during the interview. Remember, they interview around 1100 applicants and only accept around 300 of them.

I was on the waitlist last year, and two big things helped me: 1. I updated often, 2. I didnt try to think too much about it. The waitlist only moves in May/June and pretty much won't move earlier than that. Keep updating, keep doing ECs they'd love. I know from personal experience how difficult the silence is, but just make sure you're actively taking steps to show them that GW is where you want to go.

So if they never reject, and I was interviewed on the first possible interview date and I did not get put on the waitlist today what does that mean? Does that mean I go more weeks without hearing an answer?

So if they never reject, and I was interviewed on the first possible interview date and I did not get put on the waitlist today what does that mean? Does that mean I go more weeks without hearing an answer?

From what I remember last year, you could still be waitlisted tomorrow or Monday, or accepted whenever the dean signs the acceptance letter. The decisions usually come in batches over 2-3 days. This early, you won't be put in limbo for too long.

I want to send an update about a medical mission trip I went on over this past weekend, would it be overkill to include pictures?

Hi! Can someone who has interviewed here, please share what the general interview day is like? I'd greatly appreciate any input!

Hey everyone, current student here. GW pretty much waitlists everyone they do not accept outright. They NEVER reject post interview unless you did something egregious during the interview. Remember, they interview around 1100 applicants and only accept around 300 of them.

I was on the waitlist last year, and two big things helped me: 1. I updated often, 2. I didnt try to think too much about it. The waitlist only moves in May/June and pretty much won't move earlier than that. Keep updating, keep doing ECs they'd love. I know from personal experience how difficult the silence is, but just make sure you're actively taking steps to show them that GW is where you want to go.

Hi! Thanks for your advice!!
I can't imagine what you mean by "keep updating" Could you specifically say some examples of what updates you sent to this school? Like, how many paragraphs and what sort of content? How many updates? 2? 5? 8?......
I'm just working my full time job, running my household, and continuing mostly with endeavors already described on my amcas.......

Oh man sorry to those waitlisted :( May join that crew next month...I know they interview 1000+ people and only offer acceptances to a limited number. To those waitlisted -- did you feel your interviews went very well?

I can't imagine what you mean by "keep updating" Could you specifically say some examples of what updates you sent to this school? Like, how many paragraphs and what sort of content? How many updates? 2? 5? 8?......
I'm just working my full time job, running my household, and continuing mostly with endeavors already described on my amcas.......

“Same crap, different day.”
-my update

Oh man sorry to those waitlisted :( May join that crew next month...I know they interview 1000+ people and only offer acceptances to a limited number. To those waitlisted -- did you feel your interviews went very well?
Felt like my interview went great, really connected with both of them. It was blind though, and i'm not great about talking about my accomplishments so maybe that's where I went wrong. Felt I was a really great fit though in terms of everything and i'm from the area so definitely a huge disappointment to be placed on the waitlist. Oh well that's why you apply to lots of places, you never know what's going to happen!

Reactions: 4 users

My updates were focusing on what I was doing new in my job or ECs and relating them to GW's opportunities for medical students. I updated about once a month, and tried to focus on why a new project or a new volunteer opportunity would contribute to the GW class.

Howdy errbody, just wanted to give some hope to the people on re-review. I got an II about 40 minutes ago, submitted 07/22/17, placed on re-review ~1.5 months after. First update through portal 08/25/17 was a publication, second update 10/03/17 was an update regarding community service. Wishing all the best for all else on the re-review list!

Reactions: 13 users
Howdy errbody, just wanted to give some hope to the people on re-review. I got an II about 40 minutes ago, submitted 07/22/17, placed on re-review ~1.5 months after. First update through portal 08/25/17 was a publication, second update 10/03/17 was an update regarding community service. Wishing all the best for all else on the re-review list!

Congrats! Has GW already booked into 2018 for interviews?

this may have already been answered, but does anyone know what percentage of students are accepted off the "alternate pool" list?