2017-2018 George Washington University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it too late to submit a secondary here? I have been waiting for my second MCAT score to be released which comes out on Sep 26th.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it too late to submit a secondary here? I have been waiting for my second MCAT score to be released which comes out on Sep 26th.

I'm just another applicant...but nobody truly knows if it's too late....not all the interviews have gone out, so technically you still have a shot. It's definitely not early, but if you like the school, might as well try.

Reactions: 1 user
I have an interview coming up early October - where is everyone planning to stay?? I don't want to be too far away or to have to transfer on the metro or anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
is GW re-review just basically a rejection. I am sure there are a few that get looked at again, but for the masses i feel this is a rejection

is GW re-review just basically a rejection. I am sure there are a few that get looked at again, but for the masses i feel this is a rejection
Have they even rejected anyone outright at this point? I'm assuming being on hold is closer to rejection that II. I feel like i'm following too many school forums to keep up with who has actually sent out rejections and who is just stringing us all along...

Reactions: 1 users
Have they even rejected anyone outright at this point? I'm assuming being on hold is closer to rejection that II. I feel like i'm following too many school forums to keep up with who has actually sent out rejections and who is just stringing us all along...

Personally, I am going to treat it as a rejection since they get so many applications. I know it's possible to get an II after being placed on hold, but the probability isn't in our favor, I'm guessing. It is a little sad/dejecting though how sometimes you feel like you are a great fit with a school and try to express that in the essays, but from their perspective it might not be true. Oh well...

Reactions: 4 users
Personally, I am going to treat it as a rejection since they get so many applications. I know it's possible to get an II after being placed on hold, but the probability isn't in our favor, I'm guessing. It is a little sad/dejecting though how sometimes you feel like you are a great fit with a school and try to express that in the essays, but from their perspective it might not be true. Oh well...
Long time lurker of this thread and I'm sad to see this post! Don't give up hope friend!! Keep up that positive energy and you never know what may happen!!

Reactions: 5 users
MS1 chiming in. Remember that a lot of people end up with the rereview status, it's completely normal and is honestly no indication of your application strength beyond them wanting to revisit you in a couple of weeks/months. I just want to reiterate that you all should keep involved in your premed activities, especially serviced based work, and connect your activity updates with the programs offered at GW. The school really cares about fit, so make sure you show that!

Should we update them periodically on our service? I sent in a very brief update, but I wish I had said more. I have a volunteering position that I feel is very meaningful and connects with volunteering i did years ago. It was probably one of the weaker aspects of my application, so I feel it might be important to send an additional update in around October when I have more hours under my belt.

I swear, this thread has me checking my GW portal more than I'd like lmao, and I haven't even done that for other schools. Was complete 7/14 and it has always said the basic "your file is complete" until when I just checked a couple minutes ago and it says "under review" now! Fingers crossed :D

Reactions: 7 users
At the interview a few weeks ago there were around 17 candidates. Maybe 1/2 did their UG or pre-med post bac at GW. The rest were from well known schools like Yale, Berkeley, Stanford, U of Wash, Duke, UCSF, etc. with missions that seemed closely aligned with the school's. Global Health, Policy, Underserved Service, Med Ed, and Emergency M, seemed to be big themes. We were some of the first to interview so some of these things might change. They said that they already had well over 17,000 applicants so far this cycle, but that they holistically review all applications.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I swear, this thread has me checking my GW portal more than I'd like lmao, and I haven't even done that for other schools. Was complete 7/14 and it has always said the basic "your file is complete" until when I just checked a couple minutes ago and it says "under review" now! Fingers crossed :D
I applied mid August and am in the same boat. I really like this school. Spent a lot of time on my essays. Hoping for an II soon.

Reactions: 2 users
Application was placed on hold today. Best of luck to everyone else applying! GW is a great school, and I wish you all the best! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
At the interview a few weeks ago there were around 17 candidates. Maybe 1/2 did their UG or pre-med post bac at GW. The rest were from well known schools like Yale, Berkeley, Stanford, U of Wash, Duke, UCSF, etc. with missions that seemed closely aligned with the school's. Global Health, Policy, Underserved Service, Med Ed, and Emergency M, seemed to be big themes. We were some of the first to interview so some of these things might change. They said that they already had well over 17,000 applicants so far this cycle, but that they holistically review all applications.

Any suggestions on how to dress? Should my shirt match school colours? Any tips?

I was advised by multiple students and alumni to give substantial updates that relate to what makes you a good fit for GW, and try not to give them more than once a month, unless its a major update (like a first author pub or something). I took their advice and gave an update every month/two months and focused on things I could contribute to the school (ex. "I started working with this group doing this volunteer project, which is similar to what I want to do at GW's Healing Clinic"). If its an update that you can tie to why you want to be at GW, I'd go for it, but just don't update more often than once a month. Hope that helps!

How long we're you on the hold status?

So I'm starting to really stress about this school, I submitted my app in early July within a few days after receiving the secondary. I've been on re-review status basically since then. I feel like I need to send an update, but I don't think I have anything to share. I started working full time this semester while doing full time classes so there really isn't room for other activities like volunteering at the moment. I will be presenting my research at a conference in late October, so should I update them with that once it has happened?

I'm starting a new volunteering role this upcoming week where I will help mentor/teach inner city middle school students with their science fair projects. It's a once a week thing and goes from Sept-late January I think. It would help me I think since I have nonclinical volunteering but only 75hrs or so

Is this significant enough for an update? I sent one in earlier in August about a published book chapter (research related) + a class I enrolled in + volunteering hour updates. This new update would be this new role plus me just saying I'm still doing my other volunteering roles and provide updates on hours or something.

Should I wait a little to send this update? I thought I read somewhere that GWU likes getting updates and stresses people to use the portal, thanks!

So I'm starting to really stress about this school, I submitted my app in early July within a few days after receiving the secondary. I've been on re-review status basically since then. I feel like I need to send an update, but I don't think I have anything to share. I started working full time this semester while doing full time classes so there really isn't room for other activities like volunteering at the moment. I will be presenting my research at a conference in late October, so should I update them with that once it has happened?
What type of presentation? Did your work have to be accepted? I think if it was accepted into a significant national conference you could update it prior to presenting it. But if it is a "lower level" (for lack of a better word) regional conference or one at your school etc. I would probably wait until you physically present it.

What type of presentation? Did your work have to be accepted? I think if it was accepted into a significant national conference you could update it prior to presenting it. But if it is a "lower level" (for lack of a better word) regional conference or one at your school etc. I would probably wait until you physically present it.

It's just a small presentation for a regional conference, so I definitely will wait until it's happened but I'm just stressing that I don't have anything to send in until then.

Definitely update when you present your research. It's okay to not have time to do new/exciting volunteer work. However, I do believe any update should have clear explanations as to why your experiences enhance your fit at GW. Also, I was told not to update more than once a month, so don't update too much.

I'm starting a new volunteering role this upcoming week where I will help mentor/teach inner city middle school students with their science fair projects. It's a once a week thing and goes from Sept-late January I think. It would help me I think since I have nonclinical volunteering but only 75hrs or so

Is this significant enough for an update? I sent one in earlier in August about a published book chapter (research related) + a class I enrolled in + volunteering hour updates. This new update would be this new role plus me just saying I'm still doing my other volunteering roles and provide updates on hours or something.

Should I wait a little to send this update? I thought I read somewhere that GWU likes getting updates and stresses people to use the portal, thanks!

See my other posts in this thread and above, sounds like you're on the right track. Just make sure to relate to gw in an honest way.

Any suggestions on how to dress? Should my shirt match school colours? Any tips?
No. Just dress professionally. Most men had white shirts and ties with suits. Didn't see wacky bow ties or weird loud colors. Women all had very professional pant suits. Black or navy. Didn't see any heels on my particular day. You don't want them to remember your clothes for good or bad. Don't go buy school colors if you don't already have them. Most medical students and staff didn't seem to be all about that stuff. I can say it won't hurt you but also won't win you any points.

Last edited:
LM 65. Submitted secendary mid July heard back in

No. Just dress professionally. Most men had white shirts and ties with suits. Didn't see wacky bow ties or weird loud colors. Women all had very professional pant suits. Black or navy. No heels. You don't want them to remember your clothes for good or bad. Don't go buy school colors if you don't already have them. Most medical students and staff didn't seem to be all about that stuff. I can say it won't hurt you but also won't win you any points.

Heels are a very common component of business professional dress for women. Not required, but in many cases a certain amount of heel is actually better than flats. Obviously avoid heels that are way too high/designed for a party though.

II just now!!!!!! Thank you GW for reciprocating my love!!!!! DC, here I come!!!

Reactions: 11 users
LM 65. Submitted secendary mid July heard back in

No. Just dress professionally. Most men had white shirts and ties with suits. Didn't see wacky bow ties or weird loud colors. Women all had very professional pant suits. Black or navy. No heels. You don't want them to remember your clothes for good or bad. Don't go buy school colors if you don't already have them. Most medical students and staff didn't seem to be all about that stuff. I can say it won't hurt you but also won't win you any points.

Heels are a very common component of business professional dress for women. Not required, but in many cases a certain amount of heel is actually better than flats. Obviously avoid heels that are way too high/designed for a party though.

Yeah, I'd say in general for interview days to wear heels that you're comfortable walking in, since a lot of schools do campus/hospital tours. I personally opt for flats because I don't have any professional heels and don't want to buy new ones, but I did notice that at my other interviews, I was usually one of the only ones wearing flats.

tldr; wear what you want but look professional! :)

You get a secondary as soon as your primary is verified.
I've been verified for quite some time and have completed secondaries from 20 other schools. I checked my spam and it was not in there. Should I contact the admissions office?

I agree that they are a common component of business professional dress for women. However, at most interviews I have been to this year, flats have been the norm (I guess I've just had a different experience than notreallymyname). I think my GW day had a lot of walking. No parking, and you may want to walk a few blocks East to the national monuments, white house, etc. Honestly, wear whatever is comfortable. I wasn't saying don't wear heels, just stating what I observed people wearing during my specific interview day at GW.

Last edited:
I've been verified for quite some time and have completed secondaries from 20 other schools. I checked my spam and it was not in there. Should I contact the admissions office?
Personally, I would recommend contacting them. I hadn't received a secondary from Thomas Jefferson after submitting my primary and got an email a month later reminding me to complete and submit it. I emailed the admissions office and received the secondary the same day. With so many applicants, it's possible for things to slip through the cracks.

Just noticed re-review status today. Complete right before Labor Day

I wore low chunky black heels to my interview, and fit right in. Feel that the clicking sound adds a bit of authority to ones gait

Reactions: 4 users
Personally, I would recommend contacting them. I hadn't received a secondary from Thomas Jefferson after submitting my primary and got an email a month later reminding me to complete and submit it. I emailed the admissions office and received the secondary the same day. With so many applicants, it's possible for things to slip through the cracks.

Okay I contacted them and haven't heard anything back yet, but I decided to google to find their application portal. I found it and entered my AAMC ID and the app portal sent me a username and password. My question is, Should I fill out this application, or wait until I am contacted by the school? If my AAMC ID works doesn't that mean I was "supposed " to receive a secondary?

Okay I contacted them and haven't heard anything back yet, but I decided to google to find their application portal. I found it and entered my AAMC ID and the app portal sent me a username and password. My question is, Should I fill out this application, or wait until I am contacted by the school? If my AAMC ID works doesn't that mean I was "supposed " to receive a secondary?

Hey -- I think if you were able to login, you should be okay. With attn paid to the amount of applications GWU has received this cycle, I think it's very likely that the email you were meant to get that contained necessary secondary application information just got lost in space. Additionally, GWU sends out a secondary to all applicants. So, it's not as if you weren't intended to receive one. I'd still wait to see what the school says -- best rest assured, I think you should be good to go. Good luck completing your secondary! Sending lots of good vibes your way.

Did any of you apply early decision? If so, what's your experience been like?

I applied to early decision at GW. Basically you can only apply to one medical school and you here back by Oct 1st whether you get accepted or not. Because I applied to early decision I was verified by AMCAS very quickly (1 day I think?) and received secondaries immediately. The entire process is much faster but the downside is you are only applying to one school and if you get rejected you're back on the market fairly late in the game (Oct 1st).

I forgot to mention, but if you are interested in early decision you really should contact the school in March or April before you apply. They'll tell you more about the program and let you know whether its a good idea or not. Also, make sure your stats meet the average for the school (3.6 cGPA and 510 MCAT I believe).

Just noticed re-review status today. Complete right before Labor Day
Got a "Hold for re-review at a later date" this morning. Completed shortly after Labor day, LizzM 68. I treat this as a reject. Good luck everyone.

I was put on pre-interview hold here the other day, does anyone know if GW has started handing out rejections yet?

Does the status changes when you're under review? Right now it just shows as my application complete

Placed on hold for review at a later date as well. Found out through the portal. LizM in the lower 70s. Complete 9/26.

I would imagine the idea behind not outright rejecting folks is so we have an opportunity to continually update them throughout the cycle, as they seem to put considerable value into those updates. I would encourage the rest of you that were placed on hold for re-review to do the same and stay cautiously optimistic!

Did your status on the portal change or got an email?

No email had been sent. I found the status change as a result of neurotically checking all of my secondary links.