2017-2018 Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are currently not a full time student, please briefly describe the activities you are participating in this academic year. (100 words)

Please tell us about a passion (professional or personal) you have had thus far in your life. (250 words)

Please tell us about a situation in which working collaboratively with others was challenging (250 words)

Optional: If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity or a commitment to a particular community, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Aspects might include, but are not limited to significant challenges in or circumstances associated with access to education, living with a disability, socioeconomic factors, immigration status, or identification with a culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine. Completing this section is optional.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prompts from last year :)
1. Please tell us about a passion (professional or personal) you have had thus far in your life.

2. Please tell us about a situation in which working collaboratively with others was challenging

I’m an incoming ms1 so I can’t say much regarding my experience in the school but I can comment on the application process and what drew me to decide on sinai!

Reactions: 1 user
Prompts from last year :)
1. Please tell us about a passion (professional or personal) you have had thus far in your life.

2. Please tell us about a situation in which working collaboratively with others was challenging

I’m an incoming ms1 so I can’t say much regarding my experience in the school but I can comment on the application process and what drew me to decide on sinai!
Hi! I have questions! What drew you to Sinai? Are you a NY resident?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I have questions! What drew you to Sinai? Are you a NY resident?
Im not a NY resident but I went to school in Manhattan.

I could go on and on about the first question. It was my dream school from the start of the process!

In no particular order:
-desire to go to school in Manhattan (went to undergrad here). Can’t beat the location of being right next to Central Park
-diverse research opportunities.
-curriculum especially with opportunity to take time to do a scholarly project. P/F. Exams are on a computer and you can take them during a window of a few days
-liberal community. very progressive and forward thinking approach to education (e.g flexmed)
-proximity to an underserved area (e Harlem)
-how awesome the students I met were. Probably the biggest factor. Everyone was so chill/knew how to have fun/not take everything super seriously but had their extracurricular passions they were very dedicated to as well. Ie essentially the general vibe I got on interview day.

Reactions: 1 users
It's my dream school too. What would you say about my chances of getting in there? Also, can you give me any other advice?

MCAT: 514 (130/128/128/128)
cGPA: 3.67; cGPA:3.71
I have 1000+ shadowing hours, 800+ clinical hours, 350 research hours with poster presentation at Mt Sinai, and 300h for hobbies.

I've also got 3 letters of recommendation from MDs, 2 from professor in school, and 1 from my PI from Sinai.

I'm also first generation college graduate and supported myself through college.

It's my dream school too. What would you say about my chances of getting in there? Also, can you give me any other advice?

MCAT: 514 (130/128/128/128)
cGPA: 3.67; cGPA:3.71
I have 1000+ shadowing hours, 800+ clinical hours, 350 research hours with poster presentation at Mt Sinai, and 300h for hobbies.

I've also got 3 letters of recommendation from MDs, 2 from professor in school, and 1 from my PI from Sinai.

I'm also first generation college graduate and supported myself through college.

I am definitely not qualified to give chancing advice! I would say look at the msar for Sinai

What's the proportion of Flexmed/normal cycle matriculant at Sinai this year? I've heard that Flexmed is gonna make up half the class? Can someone confirm?

Secondary received this morning at 10:15, verified June 5. Good luck everyone!

Prompts:

Please tell us about a passion (professional or personal) you have had thus far in your life.

Please tell us about a situation in which working collaboratively with others was challenging

Optional: If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity or a commitment to a particular community, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Aspects might include, but are not limited to significant challenges in or circumstances associated with access to education, living with a disability, socioeconomic factors, immigration status, or identification with a culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine. Completing this section is optional.

Plus be prepared to upload a headshot.

@Lucca @gyngyn

Prompts:

If you are currently not a full time student, please briefly describe the activities you are participating in this academic year. (100 words)

Please tell us about a passion (professional or personal) you have had thus far in your life. (250 words)

Please tell us about a situation in which working collaboratively with others was challenging (250 words)

Co-credit to @twentyeightmiles

Reactions: 3 users
@Lucca @gyngyn

Prompts:

Co-credit to @twentyeightmiles
Thanks @Overthink, forgot about that part in my excitement over the email :D

What's everyone's letter status? Mine says none submitted...

What's everyone's letter status? Mine says none submitted...

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Mine has a red X next to the letters, even though other schools have marked my letters as recieved. I've heard that it can take a while to process everything, especially as it's the first wave after a holiday weekend!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else having a glitch while copying in essays? Mine keeps deleting all but the first ~15 words that I copy in...

Anyone else having a glitch while copying in essays? Mine keeps deleting all but the first ~15 words that I copy in...
That happened to me to and I figured it out. I had one essay on Word at exactly 250 words. When I copied it in, it wouldn't let me and only kept the first sentence. For some reason, their program is saying that I'm over the word count and won't let me copy it in. When I shortened the essay to 248 words it let me copy it and said I was exactly at the 250 limit. Very strange.

For the gaps in education question, I am a little confused. I am taking 2 gap years after completing college, does that qualify as a yes to this question? Are there significant gaps in time, greater than one year, that are unaccounted for in your application? I thought this was referring to between completing a bachelors, like if someone took a couple years off before going back and finishing their degree. Also, if it is a yes then do i need to answer both that question and the following question that asks if you are currently not a full time student, please briefly describe the activities you are participating in this academic year??

Not sure if anyone else is struggling with this.

The second prompt is only 200 words!

My secondary says I have 250 words for the passion essay and only 200 for the working with others essay. Is this a glitch?

For the gaps in education question, I am a little confused. I am taking 2 gap years after completing college, does that qualify as a yes to this question? Are there significant gaps in time, greater than one year, that are unaccounted for in your application? I thought this was referring to between completing a bachelors, like if someone took a couple years off before going back and finishing their degree. Also, if it is a yes then do i need to answer both that question and the following question that asks if you are currently not a full time student, please briefly describe the activities you are participating in this academic year??

Not sure if anyone else is struggling with this.

I interpreted it the same way. It would seem redundant to have t answer both of those questions explaining the same situation (gap years). Would love to have someone confirm this with certainty though.

Anyone know the word count for the last, optional essay?

Secondary received and submitted! Following thread

If people are choosing to write about 'personal' passions, how personal are they? Would it be ok to write about something completely non-academic? I could also write about my passion for research but feel it would be pretty redundant given the evidence shown on my primary application.

If people are choosing to write about 'personal' passions, how personal are they? Would it be ok to write about something completely non-academic? I could also write about my passion for research but feel it would be pretty redundant given the evidence shown on my primary application.
I went completely non-academic and talked about a unique hobby.

Yes non-academic will be fine. Don't repeat what you wrote on your primary app. Write something else even if it's in 50 words.

Does anyone know where to include an update in the secondary application? I have still yet to submit it because I am looking for a section to mention a recent publication. Thanks.

Thanks @Overthink, forgot about that part in my excitement over the email :D
For the question "If you are currently not a full time student, please briefly describe the activities you are participating in this academic year. (100 words)" can I still write about it even though I am a full time student?

For the question "If you are currently not a full time student, please briefly describe the activities you are participating in this academic year. (100 words)" can I still write about it even though I am a full time student?
No

Reactions: 5 users
Anybody get instructions on how to apply to the ISMMS PORTAL Program? I got one before even getting a secondary....

is anyone having trouble copying and pasting essays onto the app? whenever i try to copy and paste my essay, the essay just disappears..
Edit: nevermind! I just used a different browser haha

I'm not understanding your question. I am done with my secondary
I have not yet received a secondary but instead received instructions on how to apply for the "PORTAL program" (MD/Masters of Clinical Research). However i checked on AMCAS that i selected regular MD. I was wondering if this happened to everyone?

That happened to me to and I figured it out. I had one essay on Word at exactly 250 words. When I copied it in, it wouldn't let me and only kept the first sentence. For some reason, their program is saying that I'm over the word count and won't let me copy it in. When I shortened the essay to 248 words it let me copy it and said I was exactly at the 250 limit. Very strange.
I think it counts any space between 2 paragraphs as 2 characters when you copy.

I have not yet received a secondary but instead received instructions on how to apply for the "PORTAL program" (MD/Masters of Clinical Research). However i checked on AMCAS that i selected regular MD. I was wondering if this happened to everyone?
Nope. I. Applied. For regular MD too however i got my secondary and everything was alright.

Can it be related with the choices you selected before submitting AMCAS?
I'm not too sure I understand what choices you are referring to but prior to my AMCAS submission I have not indicated any program preference? To be more clear it is for the MD/MSCR program....It was just strange because I didn't indicate any preference for a dual degree but received information to "acquaint me" with the program and application instructions. So I was wondering if this was automatically offered to everyone

I'm not too sure I understand what choices you are referring to but prior to my AMCAS submission I have not indicated any program preference? To be more clear it is for the MD/MSCR program....It was just strange because I didn't indicate any preference for a dual degree but received information to "acquaint me" with the program and application instructions. So I was wondering if this was automatically offered to everyone
Looks like you may have to call them...

Looking for advice on the passion essay - please and thank you for your time!

Originally, I had written about an academic passion of mine, but looking back at my AMCAS, I think I have written that topic to death. I am considering writing about dance, but I mainly pursued it as a personal hobby/interest (no intense training) and didn't mention it as one of my activities. What would your advice be about writing a passion essay on a hobby?

Can it be related with the choices you selected before submitting AMCAS?
When you submitted your amcas did you choose the MD program? If yes, then the secondary should ask you about selecting either the the MD program or their dual programs ( the brasset, md/phd & another one ). If none of the above were mentioned on your secondary, give them a call because I am sure you don't wanna go into a program where you are not sure about what to expect.
I hope that i was able to help.

Looking for advice on the passion essay - please and thank you for your time!

Originally, I had written about an academic passion of mine, but looking back at my AMCAS, I think I have written that topic to death. I am considering writing about dance, but I mainly pursued it as a personal hobby/interest (no intense training) and didn't mention it as one of my activities. What would your advice be about writing a passion essay on a hobby?
It's up to you. It is clearly stated to tell something whether professional or personal. You can say anything that you want. Just make sure that if they ask you a question about it on your interview date you can defend yourself. Don't also try to put in all 250 words, be brief and precise because they will be reading out thousands of essays, don't make it harder on them even if it's in 100 words you are ok. Your secondary will not have a huge impact compare to whatever you wrote on your amcas.

+1, I was also worried about this but the same thing happened to me.

It's up to you. It is clearly stated to tell something whether professional or personal. You can say anything that you want. Just make sure that if they ask you a question about it on your interview date you can defend yourself. Don't also try to put in all 250 words, be brief and precise because they will be reading out thousands of essays, don't make it harder on them even if it's in 100 words you are ok. Your secondary will not have a huge impact compare to whatever you wrote on your amcas.

Thanks for reminding me of this. I'm getting so overwhelmed by all of these secondaries and it's hard to remember that secondaries, in relation to our PS/scores/activities section/LOR play a small role in this process.

Thanks for reminding me of this. I'm getting so overwhelmed by all of these secondaries and it's hard to remember that secondaries, in relation to our PS/scores/activities section/LOR play a small role in this process.
You are welcome!

Is it possible to create something for MSTP(or MD-PhD) secondary (similar to what someone did for 2015-2016 ?). There is one for 2015-2016 but it is old. It has the title 2015-2016 MD/PhD Secondaries (Alphabetical List)