2017-2018 Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats! did you send any updates since being alternate listed?

I had originally sent an update over the winter when I was told I was still under consideration. After hearing about the alternate list I responded to that email restating my interest. This was the first I heard back after doing that

Members don't see this ad.

I had originally sent an update over the winter when I was told I was still under consideration. After hearing about the alternate list I responded to that email restating my interest. This was the first I heard back after doing that
Congrats! You must have been at the top of that alternate list! You must be very happy!

Reactions: 1 users

Did you express full intent or just interest?

Members don't see this ad :)
to my fellow waitlisted people, did you ever use the "Reply to this Thread" option on the portal? I uploaded my letter to the document section but am not sure if they prefer I "replied" directly to the alternate list email. Also, if you did reply, was it send to the admissions office or to the dean of admissions?

Did something on your portal change which indicated wait list or alternate list (though it seems these are the same)? My portal does not say anything about a wait list or alternate list even though I got the alternate list email.

Did something on your portal change which indicated wait list or alternate list (though it seems these are the same)? My portal does not say anything about a wait list or alternate list even though I got the alternate list email.
nope

Reactions: 1 user
When are they announcing merit scholarships???? Anyone have any idea?

When are they announcing merit scholarships???? Anyone have any idea?
I spoke with them about this you can find my other post. They say there are no merit scholarships this year.

Thanks... LOLL we aint special enuf i guess

I was told during second look that merit aid would be sent out in the beginning of April. However, they told me that this year they didn't have a lot of money to give out anyways. I haven't heard from them at all, so either I didn't get any merit aid or as the other post suggested, there's no merit aid this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorta worried about low PD director score here. I wonder how hard it is to get into a residency in Cali from here.

Sorta worried about low PD director score here. I wonder how hard it is to get into a residency in Cali from here.
Looks like only about 10% (14 of 136) of the residency matches were in CA this year. Obviously, that percentage has to do with varying interest on the applicant's part, in addition to matching. According to my interviewers, the general emphasis is definitely placed on New York residencies, particularly focusing on the Mount Sinai System.

Looks like only about 10% (14 of 136) of the residency matches were in CA this year. Obviously, that percentage has to do with varying interest on the applicant's part, in addition to matching. According to my interviewers, the general emphasis is definitely placed on New York residencies, particularly focusing on the Mount Sinai System.
Darn,,,, hopefully that's the case cuz of personal preferences. I really hope attending sinai won't hinder my chances of matching into Cali residencies.

Darn,,,, hopefully that's the case cuz of personal preferences. I really hope attending sinai won't hinder my chances of matching into Cali residencies.

Definitely harder to go Sinai-->California than California --> California but I believe most people who wanted to go to Cali went there.

No, I think Sinai gave us very little support this time. A lot of people got Loans compared to other institutions....

Why is this the case this year? Why is there zero transparency between different schools and Financial Aid? I wish Sinai offered more....is it because they don't have as much money as some other more top institutions (top 5s?) For some whose EFC is 0, it is so much more expensive to go here.

I spoke with them too, it seems they have really changed the way they are doing things....and that means less aid.

I spoke with them too, it seems they have really changed the way they are doing things....and that means less aid.
This is certainly concerning.... when all the other institutions around them are trying to decrease student loans... It says something about their priorities

This is certainly concerning.... when all the other institutions around them are trying to decrease student loans... It says something about their priorities
I think it says more about their financial aid resources than their priorities. They simply can't compete on that front with schools that received massive donations to reduce student debt.

Withdrew as well. Really disappointed with how inflexible they were with their FA packages. Hoping my spot goes to one of you.

Reactions: 5 users
I think it says more about their financial aid resources than their priorities. They simply can't compete on that front with schools that received massive donations to reduce student debt.
Their big Icahn donation was just five years ago, what they blew through $200mill?

Their big Icahn donation was just five years ago, what they blew through $200mill?
I don't believe any of that donation was allocated for student financial aid, in contrast to many of the recent big donations to peer institutions. This is what I found from googling what the money was used for: "to fund various research projects at the medical school’s numerous disease-focused and core technology-based institutes."

Don't get me wrong, I think it's very unfortunate that they don't offer better financial aid. I will be withdrawing my acceptance here as a result.

I don't believe any of that donation was allocated for student financial aid, in contrast to many of the recent big donations to peer institutions. This is what I found from googling what the money was used for: "to fund various research projects at the medical school’s numerous disease-focused and core technology-based institutes."

Don't get me wrong, I think it's very unfortunate that they don't offer better financial aid. I will be withdrawing my acceptance here as a result.
where are you guys off to?

Withdrew as well. Really disappointed with how inflexible they were with their FA packages. Hoping my spot goes to one of you.

+1
Withdrew for the same reason a while ago. I was excited about Icahn, but it won't be a good option because of the FA situation..

Its really sad to see everyone turning down a perfectly fine institution just because of FA. Wonder if this will cause long term damage to Sinai student body and reputation.

Its really sad to see everyone turning down a perfectly fine institution just because of FA. Wonder if this will cause long term damage to Sinai student body and reputation.
This is definitely negatively impacting their own interests. They really should reconsider their calculations, and offer more aid.
I believe they are off the unit loan system which they were on before.

Will likely withdraw for the same reason. Hard to do it though as this was my top choice. Hopefully they have more money for aid in the future!

To those accepted, did you get any need-based aid? I'm on the alternate list, and would undoubtedly attend, even if I received (next to) nothing.

Withdrew the other day. Good luck to everyone, I hope your FA package was better than mine.

How does this effect those committed already thru early acceptance/flexmed/humed?
I spoke with some flexmed people at 2nd look that were kind of upset, and were under the impression they would get more aid than they did.

I spoke with some flexmed people at 2nd look that were kind of upset, and were under the impression they would get more aid than they did.

I feel like the incentive for Sinai to give them a good package is non existent because they're already committed.

I would agree, but also it seems the aid at this school has really been going down for a few years

Most definitely, it's really unfortunate because Icahn is one of the most unique of top schools at which certain students would thrive most. All of that goes to waste if they can't attend due to high cost and low fin aid :(

Does anyone remember if there was a acceptance deposit here? I forget which schools I threw my $100 at haha.

I will be similarly withdrawing due to fin aid. Loved the school tremendously so this was tough. Hope it goes to one of you fine folks on the WL

Reactions: 6 users
Thank you wonderful people for giving up your spots; it must be an incredibly difficult choice to make.
This is the only school I'm still in the running for that I can actually afford, so your decisions mean a lot to me, and several others I'm sure. Hope our paths cross in the future.

Reactions: 6 users
Officially withdrew my acceptance from this school, it was a very difficult decision for me as this school had been my top choice for many years, but I ended up falling in love with another school even more that gave me a competitive fin aid package. I wish you all good luck and it was really nice meeting everyone during second look!

Reactions: 4 users
To those accepted, did you get any need-based aid? I'm on the alternate list, and would undoubtedly attend, even if I received (next to) nothing.
I was accepted in December and I received the need-based Icahn Scholarship and Icahn Loan. At second look the financial aid office told me that the max Icahn Scholarship was around 29k.

I was accepted in December and I received the need-based Icahn Scholarship and Icahn Loan. At second look the financial aid office told me that the max Icahn Scholarship was around 29k.
That's pretty wild. I really do wonder why this is, given how some schools seem to be flinging money left and right.