Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

2017-2018 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

Discussion in 'Osteopathic School-Specific Discussions' started by AlteredScale, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Oh awesome! JK ^ my fact was corrected. Thanks @CazadorFalconry :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. georgia_boy1

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    So tempted to apply to this school and start in Fall 2018. I'm an ID resident with 3.7 cGPA, 3.5sGPA (AACOMAS) 502 MCAT, 3000 clinical hours, 400 research hours, 100 shadowing, 50+ volunteer and would likely get in but the idea of going to a new DO school without finding out if I could get into other DO schools or UW is scary.

4. As someone who has been accepted, that was something I was worried about too before I went to interview. I will say after going to interview day at ICOM, I was thoroughly impressed with the state-of-the-art facilities, dedicated staff, and plan to shape ICOM to be a leading DO school. One of my interviewers, Mattie Bendall, has helped personally start other DO programs across the country (including Lincoln Memorial; don't remember the others) and a majority of their staff (including Dean Hasty) have been recruited from exceptional DO programs such as Campbell so they know what they're doing. Once I was able to see what ICOM had to offer me, I don't have any doubts it will be an amazing school despite some of the concerns of going to a new program (such as private loans, ugh). I would encourage you to apply and see what happens! You never know if a school will be the right fit for you until you can see what they have to offer in person and if it aligns with what you want from a DO school as a student. :) You may even end up liking it better than a well-established program.

5. redking

Pre-Medical
    I really encourage you to apply. The physical building is new but all of the faculty is experienced. Could you get in somewhere else with your stats? yes, but it probably isn't going to be anywhere a lot better. I don't think you have the stats to get a WWAMI, U of U, or OOS MD school (no offense) and IMO ICOM is going to be every bit as good if not better than most other DO programs. Also, what you have to understand about higher level education, 90% of what you get out of a program is based on what you put in, very little of your success in med school will be based on which school you go to. You will teach yourself most of the material, and your success will be based on how hard you work. What matters most to me is the cost. In that regard, yes ICOM is not the cheapest school, but it isn't the most expensive either. Private loans are a down side and probably a significant enough reason to choose another school over ICOM if you have that option, but I wouldn't trade a year of future income to be able to get federal loans over private.

#1004 redking, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    smurfeyD and iHamzoo like this.
  6. txco1994

How many interview days are left?

Noni Mousse likes this.
  7. SergeantBuzzKill

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You should apply. If the $45 primary fee is no issue for you, you don't have much to lose (no secondary). Best case scenario, you get an II and get accepted. Worst case, you lose $45.

Noni Mousse likes this.
  8. georgia_boy1

2+ Year Member

But I wouldn’t be giving UW a shot or any other more established DO schools. I think I would rather have a rejection from all of those other schools than wonder if I could’ve gotten in. I’m still going to apply this cycle and time isn’t going to make me less competitive especially because I’m working as a scribe and just gaining more clinical experience. I also don’t have a PS yet or any LORs ready. And the deadline is early April.

Noni Mousse likes this.
  9. TheVFibKid

Pre-Medical
    Brother, wait and apply to the WWAMI program if you qualify for it based on residency. It is not all about stats with them. Your MCAT is a little on the low side, but they've accepted people with worse. They really like nontrads with full-time, real world work experience in the healthcare system, which you seem to have. Your application seems really well rounded and I totally think it is worth it for you to take an extra year than worry about "what if?"

Noni Mousse likes this.
  10. cactus.flower

cactus.flower SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
    Hey all,

Interviewed here today. They did not cover how many seats are left however they did say they have 100+ deposited acceptances and are interviewing until the end of April, possibly May if needed. Not sure if that helps anyone make any choices but, there it is. :)

11. georgia_boy1

2+ Year Member

@what_the_effy What is your impression of the program overall? What are some cons that you’ve noticed?

12. cactus.flower

Medical Student
    I was pretty impressed with how excited the faculty was to be part of this new program. It really makes you also want to be a part of it. I think it will be a wonderful program. Dr. Hasty (the dean) is young and energetic and that is very refreshing.

Also; the faculty is all experienced running other new medical schools so you feel like you’re in good hands. They’re also very clear on the kind of student they want, which is someone who is flexible as the school is aware they’re going to make mistakes along the way.

I would not be disappointed at all if this is where I ended up matriculating. That said, my biggest concern is obviously the financial aid aspect. If you have loans from your undergrad, you CANNOT use ICOM as enrollment to freeze your undergrad loans. You have to make payments or get an income based payment down to $0.

That on top of the private loans makes me a little uncomfortable. But I think I’m unique in that I self funded my undergrad completely with zero help so, I’ve got those loans too, and not being able to stop interest for another 4+ years makes me uneasy.

13. When you say you can't use ICOM as enrollment to freeze your undergrad loans, do you mean just make payments on the interest or does this pertain to repayment for the loan itself (once grace period ends)?

14. georgia_boy1

2+ Year Member

@what_the_effy Does the loan repayment you mention apply to spouse loans as well? I myself don’t have undergrad loans but my wife has loans that we’re currently paying.

15. cactus.flower

Medical Student
    The entire loan itself. Icom is not accredited so it does not count as a school you’re enrolled in. I asked specifically about this today and that’s what my understanding is.

Not sure. Don’t know how it works since I’m not married, sorry. I would imagine your spouses loans have nothing to do with your enrollment at ICOM because even the student enrolled at ICOM is not technically enrolled anywhere the federal student loan people consider as a school at the moment.

16. cactus.flower

Medical Student
    Just to further clarify, I mean that if you were to enroll into say a masters of public health program, you could defer your undergrad loans until after your new grace period. That is NOT the case with ICOM.

The biggest con is the financial aid is really complicated. Not as easy as a FAFSA. I don’t know anything about private loans so I would probably need help from someone in picking one.

17. You could always make an appt with the financial aid person at ICOM and I bet she'd love to help you get things sorted out. I'm planning to call her myself with this new info and see what my options are. Ya girl got way too much undergrad debt she can't afford to pay during med school so.

18. awesomejackjack

Pre-Medical
    This is 1000% late because I've been accepted [lol] but what does ICOM being for-profit mean?

19. cactus.flower

Medical Student
    Yeah! I won’t let it stop me from going if this is what ends up being my path! I was otherwise really excited about the program. She seemed super nice and approachable so I will get ahold of her ASAP about my options if I’m accepted on Friday.

Also, I lowkey am in love with Boise

20. theLastprocastination

Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just throwing it out there that ICOM will be eligible to "apply" for federal financial aid "after two complete academic years". Therefore, I would count on fed loans for "fourth year only for the inaugural class".

21. redking

Pre-Medical
    Normally, interest would stop accruing on any federal loans if you were a full time student. But if you go to ICOM, despite being a full time student, interest will continue to increase on any prior federal undergrad or graduate loans. This is in effect an increased cost of attending ICOM. There are also multiple other ways in which private loans are less favorable than federal loans, for example they do not have income based repayment, and only have a 3 year grace period. This means you are pretty much forced to do a 3 year residency or simply default on your loans once you hit your 4th year of residency/fellowship. There are some serious downsides and increased costs associated with private loans and as an extension ICOM. You need to be aware of them.

honeybakedsam and what_the_effy like this.
  22. redking

Pre-Medical
    Agreed, BCOM students will only get federal loans their 4th year. They are not getting them their third year, well correction I guess it is possible they may get federal loans halfway through their 3rd year.

#1021 redking, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    smurfeyD likes this.
  23. cactus.flower

Medical Student
    Thank you. That’s what I was trying to say but much much more eloquently said. I’ve had a very long day of travel haha. But exactly what redking said is the biggest con since someone asked me earlier.

24. SergeantBuzzKill

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I should've read your entire post before saying anything, my bad. Yeah you should probably wait. If you have some gap time, I'd consider retaking the MCAT and shooting for 508+. Not saying its impossible to get accepted at UW with a 502, but a 508 combined with the rest of your app would give you an incredible chance to secure that acceptance at UW.

25. smurfeyD

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Literally nothing. They have to pay taxes

awesomejackjack likes this.
  26. Radxical

Pre-Medical
    Oh man. Just got back home from Boise.

The presentations were phenomenal. I was definitely impressed by what they had shown me. I think that whoever decides to matriculate will be in good hands. Fingers crossed for this Friday!

From what I've heard among other applicants, the loan thing is a pretty big deal breaker.

Also, not sure if anyone cares, but everyone that interviewed today was OOS. Some from across the country in FL, NY. No Idaho applicants today.

27. healthcare88

2+ Year Member

Did the other applicants say that they wouldnt attend because of the loan situation??
    Did they say how many spots they have open??

28. healthcare88

2+ Year Member

Did applicants you were with say they wouldn't attend because of the loan situation??
    Did they mention how many seats they have left??

29. Radxical

Pre-Medical
    No one specifically mentioned that they wouldn't attend, but it did sound like it was discouraging. They do a good job outlining the benefits and potential costs of going for private loans. It sounded better than I assumed it would be, based on the previous responses read here but I understand that it's a dealbreaker for many. Especially for those who are already in debt.

They said 100 deposits yesterday. So it can be assumed that there are 60 or so seats left, assuming all of the deposits keep them.

30. smurfeyD

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't know if there are any pros to private loans over Federal loans. If you have good credit, and a cosigner with a good credit score then the interest rate isnt too bad, but you miss out on the repayment benefits thats federal loans get

31. smurfeyD

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
  32. Radxical

Pre-Medical
    Wow...that's actually much higher than I thought. Though that's understandable. They do want to get that class filled.

33. healthcare88

2+ Year Member

private loans are a big turn off though

34. Radxical

Pre-Medical
    They showed off one private loan that gave 36 months before payment is due. It's not the best but I'd probably consider it.

Their hands really are tied though because they're a new school, unfortunately.

35. redking

Pre-Medical
    I don't know about the private loans being offered to ICOM students, but look out for credit card type terms that increase your interest rate if you miss a payment or are late. Read the entire loan agreement, and ask someone you trust to explain anything you don't understand.

smurfeyD, Radxical and honeybakedsam like this.
  36. healthcare88

2+ Year Member

why dont you guys think the class is filled yet?

37. awesomejackjack

Pre-Medical
    1) because this isn't anyone's or at least most people's #1 school.
    2) people also may have other acceptances or are waiting to hear back.
    3) the private loans thing isn't that great.
    4) i think you can only do so much with the promise of a great education.
    5) they started interviewing really late

healthcare88 likes this.
  38. healthcare88

2+ Year Member

Are they being really picky with the MCAT?

39. Radxical

Pre-Medical
    Also 6) The deposit is $2500. Albeit you can split it into two payments, but still a high one.
    I'm not entirely sure what they are trying to get in their inaugural class. I think based on the thread, we've seen MCAT varying from 498-511 or so.

genegrey likes this.
  40. Edmanrck

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I paid my deposit and have filled out the forms needed for the first 2 weeks. By what date do we have to have all the other items such as immunization records and health insurance by?

41. kardom11

Pre-Medical
    I didn't realize that your student loans will not go into deferment while attending. Scary.

42. healthcare88

2+ Year Member

How is any student supposed to do that if they aren't married ? or have rich parents?

43. DelayedGratification

Pre-Medical
    before starting a panic, i would highly recommend confirming undergrad federal loan deferrals with your loan officer. I find it hard to believe you won't be able to defer them, in fact from what i remember you can. With any grad school, you can defer your undergrad loans but it will start accruing interest.

44. Radxical

Pre-Medical
    This is a medical school that has pre-accreditation. I don't think you'll be able to defer your loans in this case.

45. CazadorFalconry

I just searched the list of schools eligible for loan deferment for 2018 and ICOM came up. However, it is listed as pre-accreditation (which we all knew). What is unclear is whether this means it does qualify for deferment (since it came up on the list) or it doesn’t (since it has pre-accreditation status). I think we need to follow up with the financial aid advisor for clarification.
    U.S. Department of Education Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs
    Edit to fix a typo

46. redking

Pre-Medical
    I specifically asked this question to the financial aid staff at ICOM during my interview, I tend to believe them but I'm open to the possibility they may be mistaken.

How to handle your prior undergrad or graduate federal loans if you decide to attend ICOM: While you are in school, you should set up your loans for income based repayments. Since you have no income, your payments will be zero. Never defer your loans when you have zero or very low income, it's a waste of deferral time. Once you are in residency, you can choose to use some of your deferral time or you can leave them on income based repayment. at ~50k a year, you'll probably have to make a small monthly payment of around 200 - 300 dollars a month. At 50k a year, it will feel like a lot and you'll feel more broke than when you were in school, but that's life. Once you are done with your residency, you will start paying your loans back in earnest, probably over 2k a month (and you'll still feel poor). The end result is that you will have a larger amount to pay back than if you had gone to a fully accredited school because 4 years of interest was added on instead of being deferred. The End.

#1045 redking, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    smurfeyD and honeybakedsam like this.
  47. DelayedGratification

Pre-Medical
    pre-accredited is still accredited in the governments eyes. When ICOM applies for federal loans in 2 years, they won't be fully accredited yet either, that only happens AFTER the first class graduates. There is a reason the government is willing to pay for education at ICOM through HPSP.

48. 94FutureDO

Pre-Medical
    I saw this on this forum before, but I couldn’t find the answer and I was hoping someone could speak to their own experience from recent interviews. I have an interview coming up soon but I would need to catch a flight that leaves at 3pm. Doesn’t this seem doable? And would I need to rent a car to get to the campus from the airport?

49. Edmanrck

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It’s gonna be really tight, but doable. I rented a car from dollar car rental and prepaid for them to fill the gas so I didn’t have to stop and fill it up. The interview was over by 1:30 and I was back at the airport with the car turned in by 2pm. I had a 4:30 flight but totally could have pulled off a 3pm flight.

50. 94FutureDO

Pre-Medical
    Thank you!!! Sounds like I’ll be a bit stressed, but I’m from the NE so it’s the only flight I had that would get me back home that night.

51. Radxical

Pre-Medical
    The final presentation/lunch thing ends at like 1:30. You then have the option to hop on the tour van that will drive you around the city and to the construction site of the new school. The tour is optional and you're totally fine to leave early to catch your flight. Just let them know.

94FutureDO likes this.