2017-2018 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good advice! Being in a persistent state of shock might be against the technical standards haha
Question, did they say during interview day how many deposits were already put in? Just trying to figure out my chances on their waitlist.

Members don't see this ad.

Question, did they say during interview day how many deposits were already put in? Just trying to figure out my chances on their waitlist.
Yea, no problem! Janette said she’s already gotten a little over 120 deposits so far and they’re looking to fill up to 164.

Good luck! I hope you get some good news soon!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many more interview days ICOM has scheduled for this cycle?

Does anyone know how many more interview days ICOM has scheduled for this cycle?
I talked to admissions recently and they said they hold interviews throughout April but all their interview day spots are already full so for those who haven't already received an II for this school, you're unfortunately probably out of luck

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I talked to admissions recently and they said they hold interviews throughout April but all their interview day spots are already full so for those who haven't already received an II for this school, you're unfortunately probably out of luck
They have a waitlist for IIs, to fill any cancellations.

I have my interview tomorrow. Any tips? I am very nervous about the questions since it is three one-on-one interviews. Any help is appreciated :) Thanks!

I have my interview tomorrow. Any tips? I am very nervous about the questions since it is three one-on-one interviews. Any help is appreciated :) Thanks!
Relax. Let your passion for medicine show.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hear what you're saying; when I sat down with Rocky Vista 2 years ago, they had actually suggested I get a biomedical masters before applying to repair my gpa, and as lovely as that is, I feel like the risk of it being a nonsense degree is too high; it costs $30k and does not guarantee employment if med school doesn't come through. That convo was before I took/retook a lot of my pre-reqs (and I also took time off to birth a human.) So yes, my undergrad work is a definite obstacle, however I have 88 credits of post-bacc work with 20+ consecutive A's, and only 2 A-'s, and 2 B's; this was achieved while working full-time (in the medical field) and raising a family. I'm not a traditional student, I'm 33; undergrad grades are a dozen years old. I called Idaho and spoke with them, and the feedback I got was that I would have been a good candidate had I not only scored in 30/32nd percentile on chem/bio, because they were looking for 35th+ percentile. So that is where I shall focus my greatest efforts.

So, anyway, I think in general, yes, additional coursework to demonstrate capability has value, but I'm not sure it's what I would need at this point for my situation.

And if it really came to it, I feel like time and money are better spent on a PA program to demonstrate capability. Because, at least that way, you're still proving that you can handle an intense course load and you could always apply to med school and walk away from PA. But, if med school still doesn't pan out then, you graduate with a pretty decent, usable degree. That biomedical degree just makes me think it's a way for schools to collect more kittens; maybe I'm just paranoid.

Maybe a MCAT without weak areas is what you need, and I agree PA school would be a much better idea than a rather worthless biomedical degree. It's a great, high earning degree if med school never materializes and I know of at least one school (Lake Erie) has an accelerated 3 year DO degree for people who already have their PA degree.

Why not look into Podiatry?

I hear what you're saying; when I sat down with Rocky Vista 2 years ago, they had actually suggested I get a biomedical masters before applying to repair my gpa, and as lovely as that is, I feel like the risk of it being a nonsense degree is too high; it costs $30k and does not guarantee employment if med school doesn't come through. That convo was before I took/retook a lot of my pre-reqs (and I also took time off to birth a human.) So yes, my undergrad work is a definite obstacle, however I have 88 credits of post-bacc work with 20+ consecutive A's, and only 2 A-'s, and 2 B's; this was achieved while working full-time (in the medical field) and raising a family. I'm not a traditional student, I'm 33; undergrad grades are a dozen years old. I called Idaho and spoke with them, and the feedback I got was that I would have been a good candidate had I not only scored in 30/32nd percentile on chem/bio, because they were looking for 35th+ percentile. So that is where I shall focus my greatest efforts.

So, anyway, I think in general, yes, additional coursework to demonstrate capability has value, but I'm not sure it's what I would need at this point for my situation.

And if it really came to it, I feel like time and money are better spent on a PA program to demonstrate capability. Because, at least that way, you're still proving that you can handle an intense course load and you could always apply to med school and walk away from PA. But, if med school still doesn't pan out then, you graduate with a pretty decent, usable degree. That biomedical degree just makes me think it's a way for schools to collect more kittens; maybe I'm just paranoid.

An earlier post stated that the research facility wont be built until the second year. This was never mentioned during my interview. Can anyone comment on this?

An earlier post stated that the research facility wont be built until the second year. This was never mentioned during my interview. Can anyone comment on this?
I had asked my interviewers about this, they said the wet lab would not be open but that they are working on partnering with labs at Boise State for students to get research experience.

I had asked my interviewers about this, they said the wet lab would not be open but that they are working on partnering with labs at Boise State for students to get research experience.

Thanks for the info. I felt like thats something they should have mentioned during the presentation or interview, espectially when the topic arose. Kind of sucks to not have a wet lab in house.

Thanks for the info. I felt like thats something they should have mentioned during the presentation or interview, espectially when the topic arose. Kind of sucks to not have a wet lab in house.
I agree, but that’s only the first year and there’s always going to be these quirks for a new med school. At least they’re trying to make it work and everyone I asked on interview day had said there will be opportunities for students to participate (and publish hopefully!)

Isn't there lab space at ISU?

I'm sure there is on ISU's main campus in Pocatello, ID, but right now ICOM is on the same plot as ISU Health Sciences campus in Meridian, which is just one building + ICOM building.

@94FutureDO I believe your interviewer was correct - it has to be Boise State because BSU is right in downtown Boise and a lot closer than ISU's main campus, which is just over a 4 hour drive East of Meridian. It would be such a hassle to commute to ISU for research when BSU is so much closer.

Reactions: 1 users
Coming from a current Idaho resident, research has to be done at BSU. It makes zero sense to do research projects in Pocatello which is so far from Boise. Also to those accepted, you’ll love Boise. It’s a big enough city to have everything you need but not huge that it’s claustrophobic. I really think ICOM will be a good school if the dean can develop good relationships with the surrounding hospitals. There’s literally an IM residency and FM in Boise that students could rotate at if they allow them. We’ll see.

Has anyone figured out their loan situation? If so, could you share what rates you were able to get.

Coming from a current Idaho resident, research has to be done at BSU. It makes zero sense to do research projects in Pocatello which is so far from Boise. Also to those accepted, you’ll love Boise. It’s a big enough city to have everything you need but not huge that it’s claustrophobic. I really think ICOM will be a good school if the dean can develop good relationships with the surrounding hospitals. There’s literally an IM residency and FM in Boise that students could rotate at if they allow them. We’ll see.
That is exactly the feeling I got when i visited Boise. Glad to hear it from an Idahoan. Did you interview at ICOM? Will you be attending?

I think ICOM will prove to be excellent. Dean Hasty is smart, focused, and a go-getter. From interview day and reading all of Dean Hasty's comments over the past year, ICOM definitely understands the importance of good clinical rotations and GME.

That is exactly the feeling I got when i visited Boise. Glad to hear it from an Idahoan. Did you interview at ICOM? Will you be attending?

I think ICOM will prove to be excellent. Dean Hasty is smart, focused, and a go-getter. From interview day and reading all of Dean Hasty's comments over the past year, ICOM definitely understands the importance of good clinical rotations and GME.

I will be applying in May to ICOM among a bunch of other schools. According to the admissions rep, students from the 5 state region automatically are given interviews so if it’s the only school I Interview at and get accepted to, I won’t be mad at all. But I agree. Dr Hasty seems like he knows what he’s doing. It’ll just take a little time to get things implemented.

Been wondering the same...

I’ve applied for my loans- currently waiting for the school to verify which they said their systems should be ready by mid-April. Wells Fargo is what I chose, opening an account with them helped with the rates a bit too.

I’ve applied for my loans- currently waiting for the school to verify which they said their systems should be ready by mid-April. Wells Fargo is what I chose, opening an account with them helped with the rates a bit too.

Wondering if I should apply in the next week or so then? Or can anyone weigh in if I should just wait til ICOM's system is up and running?

Wondering if I should apply in the next week or so then? Or can anyone weigh in if I should just wait til ICOM's system is up and running?

I would get the process started, it took me about 4/5 days before they were waiting on the school. They give the school 2 months to verify before dropping the loan, and they’ve ensured me mid April would be enough time to get it done.

I would get the process started, it took me about 4/5 days before they were waiting on the school. They give the school 2 months to verify before dropping the loan, and they’ve ensured me mid April would be enough time to get it done.

Sounds good, thanks for the info. I am looking at loan options this week and am hoping by the end of the week to make a decision that's best for me. I'll then apply next week. Hoping that's enough time.

anyone remember how the class schedule is? During our interview they showed us a brief slide but I forgot how it was setup. Are classes typically 8 to 5 here, M-F?

anyone remember how the class schedule is? During our interview they showed us a brief slide but I forgot how it was setup. Are classes typically 8 to 5 here, M-F?

From what I remember, the schedule was M-F required attendance 8am-5pm. There were however a few 'suggested' study blocks, where if at the end of your schedule, you were allowed to leave early and go home.

I want to say lectures are from 8-12pm, lunch after classes, and then labs from 1-5pm, but I may be totally off.

This may be a stretch, but I know a lot of the staff came from CUSOM, and they brought over a lot of the curriculum. When I looked at the CUSOM schedule, it reminded me of what they showed us during the interview.

https://assets.campbell.edu/wp-cont...2017/08/2017-2018-Curriculum-at-a-Glance-.pdf

thanks homies, yeah I was sure it was something like 8 to 12 lecture then lab as well some days.
Anyone know how strict CUSOM is with DAT mandatory lecture tho? Hoping we get some leeway on this lol.

also for loans, what are you guys going for? I'm leaning towards Sallie Bae because they offer the 36 month grace period so no payments are necessary during residency.

thanks homies, yeah I was sure it was something like 8 to 12 lecture then lab as well some days.
Anyone know how strict CUSOM is with DAT mandatory lecture tho? Hoping we get some leeway on this lol.

also for loans, what are you guys going for? I'm leaning towards Sallie Bae because they offer the 36 month grace period so no payments are necessary during residency.

Wells Fargo is also a 36 month grace period, but it says 6 months on the loan portal. If you go to the WF website it states 36 months for medical students. I'm probably going to meet with a WF representation this week and I'll keep you guys updated.

Wells Fargo is also a 36 month grace period, but it says 6 months on the loan portal. If you go to the WF website it states 36 months for medical students. I'm probably going to meet with a WF representation this week and I'll keep you guys updated.

cool, thanks.

I just got off the phone with WF and they said the MED-CAP loan is maxed out at 250k but tuition + COL = 75k per year or 300k (without tuition inflating).
I am going to call Sallie BAE tomorrow unless someone else can chime in with their XP.

cool, thanks.

I just got off the phone with WF and they said the MED-CAP loan is maxed out at 250k but tuition + COL = 75k per year or 300k (without tuition inflating).
I am going to call Sallie BAE tomorrow unless someone else can chime in with their XP.

Good point. Likely if we dont get accredited by the 4th year, youll have to go with multiple loans if you do WF. I have confidence that we will get accredited by then based on recent lengths of accredidation.

You get accredited upon graduating first class. However, loans aren't based on that. From what i recall, all programs must exist for 2 years before able to apply for federal loans

You get accredited upon graduating first class. However, loans aren't based on that. From what i recall, all programs must exist for 2 years before able to apply for federal loans
I guess I was misinformed. Does that mean we automatically get federal loans after 2 years?

I guess I was misinformed. Does that mean we automatically get federal loans after 2 years?
The fin aid office said they get to apply right after 2 years and they hope the process is swift. It is not unreasonable to think 2nd year 1st semester might require private loans, if not more.

Anyone know of any school that opened up recently and went through a similar process to get federal loans and if the students received federal loans beginning of 3rd year, 4th year or none at all?

I just got an invite for waitlist interview on May 2nd. I'm from east coast and a very late applicant as of 2 wks ago .

Anyone know of any school that opened up recently and went through a similar process to get federal loans and if the students received federal loans beginning of 3rd year, 4th year or none at all?

Some brand new med schools actually can get federal loans their very first year (ARCOM). Not sure how the process works exactly but it can be done!