2017-2018 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I'm applying this round for a lot of D.O. schools and am wondering if ICOM is OOS friendly?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I'm applying this round for a lot of D.O. schools and am wondering if ICOM is OOS friendly?
Hiya. It's hard to give you a concrete answer since ICOM is new. They likely have accepted many more OOS students than they normally would have to fill up their inaugural class, since they are starting this August.

If you're from their 5 state area, you've got a great chance. If not, you probably still have a good chance. I'm from California and got an interview here in the 2018 cycle, but am on waitlist right now. Judging by responses earlier in the thread, they do have a preference for those in the area but I think they're open for everyone if your stats are competitive and you have a desire to help out there.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm OOS from the other corner of country! They are OOS friendly, but you will have to show interest in Idaho and be better than the average residents of the region most likely.

Does anyone know why the Facebook page only has 130 students?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It is likely that not all accepted students know there is a Facebook group for class of 2022, and some may know but not care to join / not use Facebook.

Hey guys,
Please don't lose hope - I was accepted last week!

MCAT 504
Kinesiology major
Post-Bacc program - GPA 3.71
Working in research now, prior xp as scribe and lots of volunteering

This is my experience... Asked a DO colleague from my hospital for a letter of recommendation after applying to ICOM. After interviewing on 4/2, I wrote personal handwritten thank you letters to my interviewers and the admissions director. After a week, I sent in a LOI. After a couple of months on the WL, I asked my mentor (who also wrote me a LOR) to write another letter of support, which helped tremendously.

I don't have any info on how many seats are left but please do not give up until the cycle officially closes.
Wishing the best of luck to you all and hope to meet you during Orientation!

I used to check this thread at least 5x/day and I felt obliged to post haha... I hope this was helpful!
Best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys,

MCAT 504
Kinesiology major

This is my experience... Asked a DO colleague from my hospital for a letter of recommendation after applying to ICOM. After interviewing on 4/2, I wrote personal handwritten thank you letters to my interviewers and the admissions director. After a week, I sent in a LOI. After a couple of months on the WL, I asked my mentor (who also wrote me a LOR) to write another letter of support, which helped tremendously.

I don't have any info on how many seats are left but please do not give up until the cycle officially closes.

I used to check this thread at least 5x/day and I felt obliged to post haha... I hope this was helpful!
Best of luck everyone!
Dont forget to join the ICOM c/o 2022 Facebook page. Mrs. Martin is moderator.

See you soon!

Anyone think it's a good idea to reapply if OOS?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't know titers would be so expensive! Do other incoming students have any suggestions on where or how to get these cheaper? The lowest I could find near me for everything is $340 :(

I didn't know titers would be so expensive! Do other incoming students have any suggestions on where or how to get these cheaper? The lowest I could find near me for everything is $340 :(
Try requestatest.com I don't know if it's necessarily cheaper, but many people (from the ARCOM fb page)said that's what they used. I made the mistake of going to my primary care doctor, only to learn later that my insurance wasn't going to pay for all of it and get billed 1500.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Try requestatest.com I don't know if it's necessarily cheaper, but many people (from the ARCOM fb page)said that's what they used. I made the mistake of going to my primary care doctor, only to learn later that my insurance wasn't going to pay for all of it and get billed 1500.

That happened to me too! It was convenient but spendy. I also have to get my vaccines AND titers redone for Hep B, MMR, and Varicella because I wasn't immune at the time of the first titer. None of which my insurance paid for either. ):

That happened to me too! It was convenient but spendy. I also have to get my vaccines AND titers redone for Hep B, MMR, and Varicella because I wasn't immune at the time of the first titer. None of which my insurance paid for either. ):
If your insurance didn't pay for the vaccines, that's BS. I have crappy insurance and it covered the Tdap Hep B etc

Get your vaccines at Walgreens. It's cheap, convenient, and your insurance will cover it.

Last edited:

Try Econno Labs -- find a promo code for it too. There should be a promo code for first orders.. either google it or find it on their fb page!

It breaks my heart but I am giving up my seat at ICOM. Best of luck to all of you on the wait list.

It breaks my heart but I am giving up my seat at ICOM. Best of luck to all of you on the wait list.
mlbf_1843176683_th_45.jpg

Where you goin dude?

Reactions: 3 users
Get your vaccines at Walgreens. It's cheap, convenient, and your insurance will cover it.

That would have been a smart choice if I hadn't just gotten them redone a few days ago D: Thanks for the solid advice anyways, hope others will take you up on it.

Hey guys,

MCAT 504
Kinesiology major

Best of luck everyone!

Hey,
What email did you send your letter to? I'm trying to do the same and I'm getting different answers over the phone

I think they've announced that they're full haven't they?
Even if they announced they're full, they'll still be filling in open spots if people drop, right? At least, I'd assume so.

I will be giving up my seat! good luck to those on the waitlist :)

got the call thursday :soexcited: , there seems to still be some movement happening.

Reactions: 6 users
sure Ny resident cgpa 3.2 , sgpa 3.0 mcat 498. Standard ec's research, volunteering at the hospital, shadowing a pcp. I recently had the doctor I work for send over a rec for me and sent over a loi dont know if it helped much though. good luck to everyone still on the list !

Reactions: 2 users
sure Ny resident cgpa 3.2 , sgpa 3.0 mcat 498. Standard ec's research, volunteering at the hospital, shadowing a pcp. I recently had the doctor I work for send over a rec for me and sent over a loi dont know if it helped much though. good luck to everyone still on the list !

Congratulations! And thank you for the for the information. When did you interview?

Can anyone explain what curricular review is in ICOM’s curriculum description? Also, I noticed Anatomy is 20 weeks long. Is this typical??

Anyone hear any more info about the curriculum/lecture structure? I know every class/professor may be different but I'm really hoping that we will have access to Powerpoint slides before each lecture

So I just got into William Carey COM, and am seriously considering going there because of the loan situation at ICOM. At the same time I have read many horror stories of WC regarding abnormal amount of students failing classes, bad match rates, school being on probation, etc.

Smh. Anyone know anything else about WC?

So I just got into William Carey COM, and am seriously considering going there because of the loan situation at ICOM. At the same time I have read many horror stories of WC regarding abnormal amount of students failing classes, bad match rates, school being on probation, etc.

Given the fact that WC has been around a while, I would second guess going there. After reading about the plans at ICOM, I really think Dr Hasty knows what he’s doing and has some really innovative ideas for ICOM. Maybe @Goro can chime in.

William Carey seems like its in a nightmare situation right now. Their attrition rate looks horrible recently, and I think only 93% PLACED. Those are bad signs.

Given the fact that WC has been around a while, I would second guess going there. After reading about the plans at ICOM, I really think Dr Hasty knows what he’s doing and has some really innovative ideas for ICOM. Maybe @Goro can chime in.
Sorry, know nothing about ICOM. It's a black box.

I would DEFINITELY stick with ICOM if I were you! Not only will the curriculum be better, but rotation sites will be too. 2 faculty from WCUCOM are actually leaving to join ICOM this fall— two of the OPP professors! That should tell you all you need to know lol! I trust Dr. Hasty

506 MCAT with a 3.55 GPA; is it worth to apply if OOS ?