2017-2018 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah I actually submitted my application 12/12 and received the email from ICOM on 12/13. My stats are very similar to yours haha, except I am from Texas
Well good luck to us, hopefully we get lots of love from this school :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Also when you guys go the interview, someone please ask what their plans are in terms of rotation sites. It should be very important for all of you in considering to attend ICOM or not.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have been accepted at WVSOM, which is an established and proven school/curriculum, but got an II yesterday for ICOM. I am from Utah so being closer to home sounds more appealing, but I have reservations of choosing a new school over a proven and fully accredited one. Thoughts?

I have been accepted at WVSOM, which is an established and proven school/curriculum, but got an II yesterday for ICOM. I am from Utah so being closer to home sounds more appealing, but I have reservations of choosing a new school over a proven and fully accredited one. Thoughts?
stay with WV

Reactions: 7 users
I have an acceptance at AZCOM but will consider going here if it means saving upwards of $60,000

I have an acceptance at AZCOM but will consider going here if it means saving upwards of $60,000

This school doesn’t do federal loans. You may be in even more debt with this school because you have to take private loans and private loans are harder to come by, and (usually) have higher interest rates.

I’m personally still considering the school myself, but the no federal loans part really gets me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
I am super excited to interview here! I received an invite to interview on January 8th. Will anyone else be there? If so we should get together for dinner or something to calm our pre-interview jitters! Best of luck to all of you!

I am super excited to interview here! I received an invite to interview on January 8th. Will anyone else be there? If so we should get together for dinner or something to calm our pre-interview jitters! Best of luck to all of you!

Congrats on your interview!! When did you receive your confirmation email saying that they received your AACOMAS app? I received that email on Dec 15...just wondering when I should hear back about an interview (if at all).

No harm in interviewing and hearing what they have to say

Reactions: 2 users
In the way of clinical education, ICOM's website says: "ICOM currently has affiliation agreements with over 32 healthcare systems with a footprint throughout the five-state area (Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North and South Dakota), and beyond". Of course, the quality of these rotations remains to be seen.

For private loans, Wells Fargo's MedCap loan doesn't seem like a bad deal:
Medical School Private Student Loans – MedCAP Loan | Wells Fargo

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone needs to know something about the area, I grew up in Meridian and lived in Idaho for 25 years.

does anyone know how many interviews will be offered? some schools interview a little over the amount they accept, while some double their interviews to acceptance ratio. I'm just curious how it will pan out here since we are half way through the cycle.

does anyone know how many interviews will be offered? some schools interview a little over the amount they accept, while some double their interviews to acceptance ratio. I'm just curious how it will pan out here since we are half way through the cycle.
i would imagine they will be interviewing a lot of people as it is late in the cycle and those who are interviewing here may already have an acceptance, get pulled off a waitlist at another school, etc

I got an II this morning. Interview dates are only for January and February, which clash with my study abroad and other II at another school.

EDIT: They have 7 interview dates between January 17 - Feb 7, in case anyone was wondering.

Did you need to complete a secondary at all, or are they waiving it completely and giving out II's based on your primary app alone?

I dont think anyone knows the answer to that

Interviewing the 24th of January. Anyone want to meet up the night before for dinner or snacks or something? So nervous !

has there been more than one group sent for interviews or just one. I dont mean the date you are interviewing but rather when they asked you to interview

Is there any word of this school giving out substantial scholarships to the members of the inaugural class? I know some of the new first year MD schools do this, not sure about DOs.

Reactions: 1 users
has there been more than one group sent for interviews or just one. I dont mean the date you are interviewing but rather when they asked you to interview
Theyve been sending interviews out sporadically. It wasnt just one day by groups. They’re sending them out as they go now

Have they said anything to you? Im sure you’ll get one, especially if youve been in constant contact with them
ya so i submitted my app the day it opened and then a few days after they requested my grades for this past semester as I am still in school, idk if you or others are still, and so i sent it to them the other day. The confirmed that they received it and congratulated me on having a good semester and havent heard since, I imagine they are on vacation now though as it seems that most schools have left for break on the 21st so i will look to hear back after the new year. really hoping for an II here though so well see.

Congrats on your interview!! When did you receive your confirmation email saying that they received your AACOMAS app? I received that email on Dec 15...just wondering when I should hear back about an interview (if at all).
I submitted my primary the first day that they put it on AACOMAS, and they received/processed it on the 8th. I was invited to interview on the 13th. Best of luck to you!!

I submitted my primary the first day that they put it on AACOMAS, and they received/processed it on the 8th. I was invited to interview on the 13th. Best of luck to you!!
stats? if you don't mind

stats? if you don't mind
3.47sGPA, 3.51 GPA, 499 MCAT. Born and raised in Idaho and I have a ton of healthcare experience. I have published research, teaching experience, and mentorship experience that I think helps boost my application with my lower MCAT score.

3.47sGPA, 3.51 GPA, 499 MCAT. Born and raised in Idaho and I have a ton of healthcare experience. I have published research, teaching experience, and mentorship experience that I think helps boost my application with my lower MCAT score.
Might as well bring your deposit check with you to the interview

Reactions: 5 users

If they don’t accept you they have a screw loose.

Reactions: 1 users
If they don’t accept you they have a screw loose.
There is no doubt this person will be accepted at icom. The question will be if they want to go here Vs a well established MD or DO school

You are in

You all are too kind. I hope to see some of you at the interview! I really think that ICOM will be a great school. What do you call a doctor that went to a brand new school? A doctor. What do you call a doctor that went to a well established school? A doctor. The point is that no matter where you go you are going to get a similar education. To me it is all about what you take out of your education that makes you a good doctor. :) Best of luck to you all!

Reactions: 2 users
You all are too kind. I hope to see some of you at the interview! I really think that ICOM will be a great school. What do you call a doctor that went to a brand new school? A doctor. What do you call a doctor that went to a well established school? A doctor. The point is that no matter where you go you are going to get a similar education. To me it is all about what you take out of your education that makes you a good doctor. :) Best of luck to you all!
I'm in the same boat and feel that ICOM is going to be a GREAT school as well.

Hi all! I hope this is okay to ask. I'm just wondering what my chances are for getting an interview here? My application won't be complete until Jan 5-10 at the latest because I had to send AACOMAS updated transcripts from this past fall semester and my app at ICOM was put on hold even though I submitted my primary Dec 20).

stats:
OOS (MN) resident - just outside their preferred 5 state region.
cGPA: 3.85
post-bacc GPA: 4.00
sGPA: 3.34
MCAT: 501

experiences:
I have 1,000+ hours of healthcare experience with roles in indrect and direct patient care as both a scribe and PCA, respectively. I also have various experiences in undergrad research projects that span healthcare and non-helathcare related topics. However, I think the strongest contributors to my application include multiple experiences coordinating and participating in providing healthcare to rural and/or marginalized populations both internationally/domestically.

I really want to get an interview and hopefully attend ICOM next cycle (it's kind of my last hope). Thanks everyone for your input! :) Best of luck to everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all! I hope this is okay to ask. I'm just wondering what my chances are for getting an interview here? My application won't be complete until Jan 5-10 at the latest because I had to send AACOMAS updated transcripts from this past fall semester and my app at ICOM was put on hold even though I submitted my primary Dec 20).

stats:

experiences:
I have 1,000+ hours of healthcare experience with roles in indrect and direct patient care as both a scribe and PCA, respectively. I also have various experiences in undergrad research projects that span healthcare and non-helathcare related topics. However, I think the strongest contributors to my application include multiple experiences coordinating and participating in providing healthcare to rural and/or marginalized populations both internationally/domestically.

I really want to get an interview and hopefully attend ICOM next cycle (it's kind of my last hope). Thanks everyone for your input! :) Best of luck to everyone!
How have you not gotten an acceptance yet? You’ll at least get an interview

stats:

experiences:

You have high chances of getting in, not just getting an interview.

How have you not gotten an acceptance yet? You’ll at least get an interview

I have had four interviews that resulted in two rejections, one waitlist, and one I haven't heard back from yet. ): Hoping this will be lucky #5.

Honestly I think I'm just really poor at interviewing! I have been unable to contact previous programs despite multiple voicemails and emails to admissions (just never got calls/emails back...?) to discuss where I went wrong (according to their ADCOMs) so I have no idea where I'm falling short. ):

how many total schools did you apply? Did you appy to UMN-TC or UMN-Duluth ?

I applied to 20 programs - 4 MD, 16 DO (including programs with multiple campuses as separate). I applied to UMN TC (post-secondary rejection) and got an interview at Duluth (which was last week - was told I'll be notified in late-April of their decision because they've already filled their class for next cycle, but promised interviews to 70 more people and wanted to make sure everyone got an interview before deciding who gets waitlisted/rejected.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had four interviews that resulted in two rejections, one waitlist, and one I haven't heard back from yet. ): Hoping this will be lucky #5.

Honestly I think I'm just really poor at interviewing! I have been unable to contact previous programs despite multiple voicemails and emails to admissions (just never got calls/emails back...?) to discuss where I went wrong (according to their ADCOMs) so I have no idea where I'm falling short. ):
If you don’t mind my asking, where other DO programs have you interviewed at?

Hah, thanks! If I get an interview, I'll be sure to keep that great advice in mind! :)
As someone who is on the same boat as you all I can say is we have to keep pushing through! I got rejected in my first interview, and then I got 3 straight waitlists. I have 2 more interviews, so I still have a chance to improve my conversational skills to not be the awkward potato I currently am lol.