2017-2018 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder if a 3.1 507 with an upwards trend has a shot
I’d email admissions and check if they are willing to consider. I’d be surprised if they aren’t!
Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, OOS with no ties, and not from any of their preferred states :/ I guess we will see what happens!
Same here. In FL, but hopeful to get an interview. I applied really late in the cycle so if I do get IIs it'll probably be for wait lists. Luckily I read about ICOM and hopefully have a good chance here.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the insight everyone. Just submitted my application last night and got an email this morning saying they received it. Good luck this application cycle!

Reactions: 1 users
Just finished my interview here today.
AMA

Side note: schools presentation really blew me away

AMA

What blew you away?
How did they justify for-profit status?
How did they justify class size?
What do they say about their rotations?
What is their reasoning for 80% mandatory lecture?

What blew you away?
How did they justify for-profit status?
How did they justify class size?
What do they say about their rotations?
What is their reasoning for 80% mandatory lecture?

Their overall presentation and vision they had for the school and facilities was amazing. The resume of the Dean and a lot of the faculty was also very impressive. The for profit question was kind of side swiped. It was brought up but wasnt really addressed so I am not sure. I still dont really know the difference or why its a big deal being for profit. Class size is 150, Idk what would need to be justified. Rotations: you spend your 3rd year at a central site rotating at the clinics/hospitals that are around that central site. They try and place you where you prefer. The rotations are in the 5 state region. Most are already contracted, but they are still working on a few more and developing the curriculum. Their attendance is because a lot of them are coming from Campbell, which has been a very successful school, and so I think they are trying to mimic a lot of what they did there that seemed to work well.

Reactions: 2 users
Their overall presentation and vision they had for the school and facilities was amazing. The resume of the Dean and a lot of the faculty was also very impressive. The for profit question was kind of side swiped. It was brought up but wasnt really addressed so I am not sure. I still dont really know the difference or why its a big deal being for profit. Class size is 150, Idk what would need to be justified. Rotations: you spend your 3rd year at a central site rotating at the clinics/hospitals that are around that central site. They try and place you where you prefer. The rotations are in the 5 state region. Most are already contracted, but they are still working on a few more and developing the curriculum. Their attendance is because a lot of them are coming from Campbell, which has been a very successful school, and so I think they are trying to mimic a lot of what they did there that seemed to work well.
thanks for sharing! Did they share the names of any of the hospitals/clinics or health centers they already have agreements with? Mostly curious if there’s any academic health centers or residency program sites included in their clinical affiliations.

thanks for sharing! Did they share the names of any of the hospitals/clinics or health centers they already have agreements with? Mostly curious if there’s any academic health centers or residency program sites included in their clinical affiliations.
They didnt, but I wish I would have asked. I am sure they wouldve shared if I had asked them

Members don't see this ad :)
AMA

How was the interview? relaxed? open/closed file?

Any additional information about financial aid?

does the tuition cover a laptop/ipad with preloaded materials for year one?

How are the fourth year rotations?

Thank you.

They didnt, but I wish I would have asked. I am sure they wouldve shared if I had asked them

Were there 12 applicants again? All from the preferred region or w/ strong ties to it?

Thats so exciting I can't wait for my interview! Was the interview one-on-one in three stations for 25-30 minutes like I read elsewhere ?

AMA

Do you remember what kinds of questions your interviewers asked? Interested to see if they plan to ask generic interview questions or if they are geared more toward discussing details of our apps. Thanks! :)

How was the interview? relaxed? open/closed file?

Any additional information about financial aid?

does the tuition cover a laptop/ipad with preloaded materials for year one?

How are the fourth year rotations?

Thank you.
Super relaxed, open file so the interviewers had your application open while interviewing you and asked questions about stuff. Private loans for first 2 years and then will apply and are assuming they will get federal by 3rd year. It seems like for private loans they will have a lot of resources to compare different ones. Tuition does cover an ipad. 4th year rotations are for electives/audtions at residencies

Thats so exciting I can't wait for my interview! Was the interview one-on-one in three stations for 25-30 minutes like I read elsewhere ?
Yes it was and the time went by faster than I thought it would.

Do you remember what kinds of questions your interviewers asked? Interested to see if they plan to ask generic interview questions or if they are geared more toward discussing details of our apps. Thanks! :)
Definitely more personal stuff from my application. You get the typical why DO and why ICOM, but after that they asked me to expound on different stuff from my app

Also, can confirm that they will let you know of their decision the Friday after you interview. So this Friday our group will find out. It is an acceptance or a rejection. After theyve filled the class (theyre hoping for 162) they will start doing interviews strictly for their waitlist. Those that are rejected and are interested in being put on the waitlist can email them and let them know and wont have to interview again.

When I was in Burrell they basically said they are for profit because that was the quickest way to get a med school made and that New Mexico needed a school ASAP to serve their population. I can see ICOM using the same reason since they like to mention how they are the first school in the state.

When I was in Burrell they basically said they are for profit because that was the quickest way to get a med school made and that New Mexico needed a school ASAP to serve their population. I can see ICOM using the same reason since they like to mention how they are the first school in the state.
Thats probably true. I really dont understand how it affects us as students haha but that makes sense for the reason why

Thats probably true. I really dont understand how it affects us as students haha but that makes sense for the reason why
It affects you in that the $chool has the underlying interest in maximizing profit but not maximizing your opportunities. And also, it should be difficult and time-intensive to setup a new school for good reasons. Rushing the setup of a program achieves nothing- particularly in this case, where GME (that would actually serve their mission) is extremely lacking.

It affects you in that the $chool has the underlying interest in maximizing profit but not maximizing your opportunities. And also, it should be difficult and time-intensive to setup a new school for good reasons. Rushing the setup of a program achieves nothing- particularly in this case, where GME (that would actually serve their mission) is extremely lacking.
I would agree, but with whats already been happening in Idaho with the residencies that are being started or funded more with the addition of the new school makes me think otherwise. Yes, for profit is concerned with the investors, but its not like its a fundamental truth that for profit schools arent concerned with maximizing your opprtunities. Look at rocky vista, one of the better schools one could attend.

And it took forever to get this school going. Theyve wanted to start ICOM for years now with their lack of primary care and how big the state is, without having a med school. Its not like they decided last year. Its been a long process for them in getting this going

Also, can confirm that they will let you know of their decision the Friday after you interview. So this Friday our group will find out. It is an acceptance or a rejection. After theyve filled the class (theyre hoping for 162) they will start doing interviews strictly for their waitlist. Those that are rejected and are interested in being put on the waitlist can email them and let them know and wont have to interview again.
Im a bit confused at to how this will work. You said they’ll accept until they hit their number of ~162. How will they do this though? hand out acceptances one by one and then go to the waitlist because I was under the impression they would accept more than 162 in anticipation of people leaving for other schools.

They are prolly gonna have 2k+ people apply. They will have no problem with applicants.

Im a bit confused at to how this will work. You said they’ll accept until they hit their number of ~162. How will they do this though? hand out acceptances one by one and then go to the waitlist because I was under the impression they would accept more than 162 in anticipation of people leaving for other schools.

They said theyd accept until they have 162 deposits. Then they will interview for waitlist spots in case people dont attend like you said. If people leave for other schools they will go to the waitlist

Yeah they said they have around 1000-1200 applicants so far so I am sure they will hit that number well before the summer

Is that number accurate?? I interview Feb 7th. No ties to Idaho. Really paranoid about not getting in

Is that number accurate?? I interview Feb 7th. No ties to Idaho. Really paranoid about not getting in
I think I would focus on the fact that by the time they get to you, they have interviewed less than 100 applicants. So you are in a better position than someone who does not have an interview yet, or someone who has an interview scheduled for late April ( I don't even know if those dates are available yet; the last date I heard of is feb 12). Even if everyone before you takes the acceptance and pays the deposit (highly unlikely), you still have a really good chance of getting in because so many seats are still left over.

AMA

What is the time frame for paying the deposit if you're accepted? Is it all due in two weeks or is it split up?

What is the time frame for paying the deposit if you're accepted? Is it all due in two weeks or is it split up?
Its on the website. I think if youre accepted before Jan 14th you have a month, and then like before Feb you have 2 weeks or something like that.

Its on the website. I think if youre accepted before Jan 14th you have a month, and then like before Feb you have 2 weeks or something like that.
It likely follows the DO traffic rules

I think I would focus on the fact that by the time they get to you, they have interviewed less than 100 applicants. So you are in a better position than someone who does not have an interview yet, or someone who has an interview scheduled for late April ( I don't even know if those dates are available yet; the last date I heard of is feb 12). Even if everyone before you takes the acceptance and pays the deposit (highly unlikely), you still have a really good chance of getting in because so many seats are still left over.
The II I declined was offering through 2/28 I believe

Thanks for calming my anxiety! Lol

Reactions: 2 users
Interview invite received this afternoon. I'm a resident of ND and I just submitted my application to ICOM on Tuesday.

Really how’d ya get that date they told me the earliest was feb

He's from the regional preference area.. I'm assuming they're trying to interview all regional candidates this month! I'm guessing we got a February date because we are not from the region

He's from the regional preference area.. I'm assuming they're trying to interview all regional candidates this month! I'm guessing we got a February date because we are not from the region
Either that or I just got lucky - they said there were 2 spots left in the 31st group so I snagged it. But I'm glad ND gets regional preference at more than 1 school now.

The competitiveness of medical school still astounds me. Even at a new DO school with no track record that didn't start accepting applications until after most schools had filled their seats there will still be 15 applicants for every spot.
Either that or I just got lucky - they said there were 2 spots left in the 31st group so I snagged it. But I'm glad ND gets regional preference at more than 1 school now.

Did the drop in oil prices make a big enough difference up there that it can be felt?