2017-2018 IMG & FMG radiology applicants thread.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We would probably benefit the most from patience and perseverance. I believe FMG invitations have a very irregular tendency, and unlike US allopathic applicants, we have less certainty on "if", "which" or "when" programs may send us interviews. eg I have known some FMGs to get most rejections from less competitive programs and then get 1-2 invitations from super competitive ones. In the end we just have to wait it out. Good luck all

Members don't see this ad.

how have the invitations been for everyone this week? surprisingly sparse....

Members don't see this ad :)
Also had a rejection from Loyola, just a prelim invite

Anybody with not even a single interview so far....

Anybody with not even a single interview so far....
Many FMG have not received any response. Keep positive, 3 weeks to finish october. One way or another there is always a solution!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone in the group heard back from arkansas? Over the years they have been very FMG friendly

I only have one interview for rads, and was given availability to choose any date (ie I was most likely on their first wave). A few days ago a second wave of invitations was sent (I noticed because all dates became unavailable from one day to the next). Could the fact that they invited an FMG in their first wave mean they have serious interest in my curriculum? I honestly feel very excited about this program because its great, but it seems like a long shot to match with just a single interview for rads, so I guess I just want to know what are my chances. Either way, If I end up matching only in preliminary I can always reapply next year.

Jesus. Sorry that the competition is so rough this year.
Those stats don't mean as much when your already a resident as stated in his home country, you need US Clinical experience

I've got multiple rejections this week:
-Loyola
-University of Washington
-Montefiore
-St. Joseph in AZ

On a bright side, I have 4 rads IV and 1 prelim-med so far.

Reactions: 1 users
Those stats don't mean as much when your already a resident as stated in his home country, you need US Clinical experience
I think visa issues are really bad this year and hence reluctance to interview IMGs who req a visa.

I've got multiple rejections this week:
-Loyola
-University of Washington
-Montefiore
-St. Joseph in AZ

On a bright side, I have 4 rads IV and 1 prelim-med so far.

Where did you receive your 4th IV and prelim?

I thought I would post to share my experience. Thus far I have 3 Prelims (2 IM, 1 Surg) and 4 Rads IVs. Nothing fancy just a couple of mid-tier/community programs. A bulk of my interviews came this week.

Hang in there!!

FMG or us IMG ?
I thought I would post to share my experience. Thus far I have 3 Prelims (2 IM, 1 Surg) and 4 Rads IVs. Nothing fancy just a couple of mid-tier/community programs. A bulk of my interviews came this week.

Hang in there!!

Any IMG/FMG who participated in last year's Match who is lurking here and would like to share their experience? As you were in our situation last year I know you can relate to how we must be feeling now. It literally takes 5 minutes to create an anonymous account and answer these questions. Please let us know:

1) Are you an FMG that needed a visa or not (I don't think there's a difference if you have a green card vs citizenship)?
2) How many rads/prelim programs did you apply to?
3) How many rads/prelim interviews did you have around this time last year?
4) How many interviews did you end up with?
5) From where did you get your invites (if you don't want to specify just name the state/region please)? E.g. 4 IV NY, 3 IV NJ, 2 IV PA etc.
6) When did you get your invites, which is especially relevant if you got it later than AMGs? At least 75 % of programs have sent their 1st wave of invites which is why it's helpful for us to know if we should expect many more interviews or not.

Even if we're like 5-6 people writing on this thread I am sure there are many more FMGs/IMGs that really want some of these answers. I think we would all really appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 user
2 rad ivs - low-mid tier program in Connecticut and Massachusetts .. as Dr. Salt said , hopefully they are coming.
Rejection from SUNY upstate. No prelim so far.

252, 261, Pass, 247
YOG 2016
3 months USCE with average letters
Minimal research, which is ongoing, no pubs yet

How do you know your letters are average? Did the writers tell you so?

So many good applicants these last years! I know about an FMG (without GC) who got interviewed (in 2006-2010) in about 5 of the top ten rads programs with 250s + research. It seems much more competitive now.

How do you know your letters are average? Did the writers tell you so?

No sorry, I don't actually know how strong my letters are. I suspect at least one could be more generic based on my level of contact with the letter writer.

So many good applicants these last years! I know about an FMG (without GC) who got interviewed (in 2006-2010) in about 5 of the top ten rads programs with 250s + research. It seems much more competitive now.
The last 2 years were less competitive for radio from what I have heard. Many of my friends with less stats managed to land close to 6 iv

The last 2 years were less competitive for radio from what I have heard. Many of my friends with less stats managed to land close to 6 iv
Yes, no doubt this seems to be going down as one of the most competitive years for radiology.

Rejection from University of Alabama Medical Center

Rejection from University of Alabama Medical Center
If I didn't get the rejection it means like they are even less interested on me than they didnt even take the work to send me a rejection .... We have to take it with good humor .

If I didn't get the rejection it means like they are even less interested on me than they didnt even take the work to send me a rejection .... We have to take it with good humor .
Lol I was actually thinking the opposite but it’s a good way to start the week

Hi, I am non-US old IMG, radiology residency at home country, 250+ both steps and 1st pass CS, 2-year US research experience, only have one prelim and one radiology IV

Where ?
Hi, I am non-US old IMG, radiology residency at home country, 250+ both steps and 1st pass CS, 2-year US research experience, only have one prelim and one radiology IV

Additional iv invites since my post 2 weeks ago:

Rads (DR):
+Maimonides
+Norwalk Hospital Program
+SUNY Upstate
+SUNY Downstate
+RUMC (Staten Island)
+St. Vincent (Bridgeport CT)
+St. Barnabas
(-) Rejections: Yale DR, UPMC IR/DR, U Alabama DR, NYU IR/DR, Drexel "on hold" (lol)

Prelim surgery is quiet...really quiet
this week has been quiet for DR

Reactions: 1 user