2017-2018 Indiana University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To those who've sent in updates, did you just email them to the admissions office, or how did you send them since there is no where to do it on the portal?
I contacted the admissions office and they said mail all updates and letters of interest directly to the admissions office.
I know a 3rd year there. He said he got his like end of May and he was upset because he had to drop other schools and hope his IU package was good. (IU was his #1 and it turned out to be good, but that’s still not okay)... hopefully that doesn’t happen again!

Members don't see this ad.

So accepted students received an e-mail this morning and in that email as far as I understand it states they concluded the admissions process with the last admitted group being earlier this month. I’m guessing this means waitlist notifications will begin soon.

Reactions: 1 user
So accepted students received an e-mail this morning and in that email as far as I understand it states they concluded the admissions process with the last admitted group being earlier this month. I’m guessing this means waitlist notifications will begin soon.
So does that mean all interviewed students have been reviewed by the committee, and if you haven't received a decision that the only options going forward are waitlist or rejection?

Members don't see this ad :)
So does that mean all interviewed students have been reviewed by the committee, and if you haven't received a decision that the only options going forward are waitlist or rejection?
That’s what it sounds like.
“We just recently concluded the admissions process for the Class of 2022 with the last group of admitted students in March.” That’s exactly what the email said. I’m thinking they have reviewed everyone at this point.

well they shd then send me my rejection so I pack my bags to the islands...:arghh::arghh:

Reactions: 4 users
Well I’m not sure what the waitlist movement is like here but you never know maybe it’s good. I know there are schools who accept a great number of students from the waitlist so it is not all said and done just yet.

And so are they sent anytime or would the emails be sent April 15-May 15? I was told that’s when they would be sent out
I’m not 100% sure but I’m sure they’ll tell you if you call next week

Well I’m not sure what the waitlist movement is like here but you never know maybe it’s good. I know there are schools who accept a great number of students from the waitlist so it is not all said and done just yet.
This is the second biggest med school in the country I’m sure there will be plenty of movement

Reactions: 1 users
This is the second biggest med school in the country I’m sure there will be plenty of movement
not trying to be negative..but the facebook page already shows over 300 stds..there r probably other accepted stds who are yet to join the page....which lvs us with very little chance of movement..and thats even if we make the waitlist :arghh::arghh:

Members don't see this ad :)
not trying to be negative..but the facebook page already shows over 300 stds..there r probably other accepted stds who are yet to join the page....which lvs us with very little chance of movement..and thats even if we make the waitlist :arghh::arghh:
Well I’m sure a lot of the accepted students will probably leave their spot to attend another med school. Keep hope alive.

I’m not 100% sure but I’m sure they’ll tell you if you call next week
I can see this conversation going something like this “you are still under consideration”

Bruh...chill, at the interview they said they interview 1100, accept 550, and a little over 350 matriculate. Just wait and see if we get waitlisted, then it's anyone's game

Reactions: 2 users
Also you know that anyone can join it right?

I definitely had to "request approval" in order to join.
Lol me too. They check.
Lol sorry guys I’ve been off social media for almost a year (best thing I ever did) but I just looked it up without an account so didn’t see that my bad. But still that other guy is overreacting. There were plenty of waitlist acceptances from last year’s thread

There are a good number of people from other years (current first years, etc) who have joined for various reasons though!
See Owkjay? Optimism not pessimism. And don't call it "being realistic" like some of my depressed friends

See Owkjay? Optimism not pessimism. And don't call it "being realistic" like some of my depressed friends
Uhh let’s all calm down. I’m sure Owkjay is just nervously speculating, as we all do throughout this process. This process brings out the neuroticism in all of us, no need to patronize

Reactions: 3 users
Uhh let’s all calm down. I’m sure Owkjay is just nervously speculating, as we all do throughout this process. This process brings out the neuroticism in all of us, no need to patronize
I know sis...but it shall be well..

Unlike other schools they have over 300 seats to fill. That's double, triple, quadruple, quintuple the seats of other schools. That means interview process is long and waiting to hear back on logistics can be long.

This can be improved sure, but this is the way it is for now so just have to plan for this type of process because it won't change anything being stressed and upset.

As far as the campus assignment goes its not exactly random. Think about it, that is an awful way to create cohesive classes. What if you're more interested in research than another applicant and both of you have Indy. Who get's it?

They try to match you to your top choice assuming geographical locations (where you're from) among other factors. Most people will just select Indy thinking that's the mother ship so it must be the best, but obviously there will be more people wanting Indy because of this reason (poor reasoning) so how do you parse out the students if you have majority selecting Indy? Who really belongs there? Email them and explain your choice for your campuses and ask that it should be reflected in your application. Obviously you need to have a compelling reason for you campus choices.

If you're an OOS then email the admissions and state some reasons why one campus would work best for you and these things will be taken into account. Doesn't mean it is guaranteed, but just think about it, it's not press a button and applicant_AAMC_ID(int) = rand(campus(int, pref)). There's more human variables to it all.

A lot of ppl must have taken your comment to heart! Haha. (Side note— I think you’re still correct, and I think they’ll consider this information for second chance lottery or later on.) From the fb group:

“Good Afternoon Accepted Students!

We wanted to remind you that our Campus Lottery System is in fact a Lottery.

While we appreciate your emails with additional information as to why you could matriculate to a campus, our lottery system is unable to take this information into account. Please hold onto this information for a later date and time if it is needed.

More information will come closer to the time the lottery is held.

Thank you so much.”

Just got denied from the Rural program, however, the email stated I was still under consideration for regular MD program. Interviewed beginning of February.

Reactions: 1 users
A lot of ppl must have taken your comment to heart! Haha. (Side note— I think you’re still correct, and I think they’ll consider this information for second chance lottery or later on.) From the fb group:

“Good Afternoon Accepted Students!

We wanted to remind you that our Campus Lottery System is in fact a Lottery.

While we appreciate your emails with additional information as to why you could matriculate to a campus, our lottery system is unable to take this information into account. Please hold onto this information for a later date and time if it is needed.

More information will come closer to the time the lottery is held.

Thank you so much.”

I would have said the same thing.

I've withdrawn my acceptance here.. I hope one of you lovely individuals gets it! :xf::)

Reactions: 6 users
Can anyone going to 2nd look relay the info they talk about this weekend? Much appreciated

They’ve finally posted the cost of attendance. You can see what your financial need is by navigating to the student center page from the one.iu.edu website. Click on “view financial aid,” go to the appropriate year, then view the need summary. You can also view a breakdown of their CoA. This makes me hopeful that things are moving along.

Financial aid packages should be coming out soon! Hopefully before the week is over.

They are posted — available loan amounts, anyhow. We won’t hear about need-based scholarships until June, unfortunately (based on the email from Mr. Espada and past years’ threads).

I’m also guessing that campus selection is on the 20th? Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
They are posted — available loan amounts, anyhow. We won’t hear about need-based scholarships until June, unfortunately (based on the email from Mr. Espada and past years’ threads).

Where are they posted?

Out of curiosity, why do you say the 20th?

I had to be one of those students that didn’t get their financial aid package today. I’m having a problem with my portal. I was so excited when I saw the email now I have to wait till Next week for Jose Espada to get back to me. Btw am i the only one who thinks Jose Espada has an adorable voice?

Out of curiosity, why do you say the 20th?

Because of when it occurred every year prior to this. It’s usually the Friday before we have to make our final decisions on which school to attend.

Everyone trips ball over this silly thread that has little factual information and lots of speculation. I did in fact get put on hold for previous comments that were far from offensive, which only supports my thinking that SDN has fallen victim to PC. I'm tired of these soft souls. #anxiousout

Because of when it occurred every year prior to this. It’s usually the Friday before we have to make our final decisions on which school to attend.
Don't get your hopes up with the 20th. Last year they came out on the 28th after 5pm and decisions were the 30th.

I think they had something going on with reaccreditation though. I don’t know. o_O

For anybody that was accepted after the last set of acceptances, was there a deadline to have your campus ranking completed by?

How’d it go??
It went GREAT. Downtown Indy was very nice.
We talked about the mentor and advising program-get a menor and have the same one all 4 years. I think you have to meet at least 3 times a semester, but they are a great resource.
We learned a lot about research and how it is very easy to get.
The new curriculum let’s you see a real patient I think once a month and students say the content is much more organized.
They emphasized the importance of health, mental, physical, emotional.
They have a lot of minority support orgs and have a diversity office.
It made me like the school a lot more and I am now strongly considering going.

This is the stuff that stood out to me and that i remember. If you want to know more, PM me and I can tell you the other stuff from the PowerPoint they provided when I get home later!

Reactions: 2 users
Any first year students in here willing to answer some questions?