2017-2018 Jefferson Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the secondary, do I HAVE to pick one of those 2 programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if this has been answered. Is this school receptive to in area updates?

Hey all I received an II from here this morning. I went to sign up for a date and it says available on each date but when I click confirm only the last two (10/25 and 11/1) actually get confirmed, the other ones all say no longer available. Could they have really filled up all the other spots already? They interview from 9/13 every week until 11/1. I'd like to go to the one on 9/20 but doesn't seem like that is going to be an option...

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all I received an II from here this morning. I went to sign up for a date and it says available on each date but when I click confirm only the last two (10/25 and 11/1) actually get confirmed, the other ones all say no longer available. Could they have really filled up all the other spots already? They interview from 9/13 every week until 11/1. I'd like to go to the one on 9/20 but doesn't seem like that is going to be an option...

@Gonzo1996 - I had a similar experience on Monday, when I received my II. I think they have glitchy UI that shows all dates as available, even when they're not. The first available date I was able to confirm was October 11th. So I have a feeling all the dates prior are actually unavailable, but the system does not present it that way. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I
@Gonzo1996 - I had a similar experience on Monday, when I received my II. I think they have glitchy UI that shows all dates as available, even when they're not. The first available date I was able to confirm was October 11th. So I have a feeling all the dates prior are actually unavailable, but the system does not present it that way. Best of luck!
I called and spoke to an admissions officer. Apparently, they are only doing 30 students per day and are split 50/50 for female and male. So yes they are actually all full(at least for males that is). Guess I'm stuck with October 25th. Aha Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I believe Jefferson responds within a month (or so) of your interview (though maybe longer for the first few groups), so interviewing in September/October/November still means you could/should hear by thanksgiving/New Years, which is early. Seriously, it is. You're in a great spot. (For those without an interview: it's ok -- they/otter schools interview for awhile...)

Congrats and good luck!

I believe Jefferson responds within a month (or so) of your interview (though maybe longer for the first few groups), so interviewing in September/October/November still means you could/should hear by thanksgiving/New Years, which is early. Seriously, it is. You're in a great spot. (For those without an interview: it's ok -- they/otter schools interview for awhile...)

Congrats and good luck!
Thank you for your information and kind words!

I just read the secondary, and it says "To activate your application, please complete and return this form with your activation fee within two (2)weeks."

How strict are they on this, I had complications that didn't allow me to fill their secondary out until 22 days later

okay so is the optional essay an unofficial 'Why SKMC' essay or do you think I could get creative with it by talking about one of my hobbies and relating it to medicine and my personality?

okay so is the optional essay an unofficial 'Why SKMC' essay or do you think I could get creative with it by talking about one of my hobbies and relating it to medicine and my personality?
Hi! You can talk about anything you want. It is yours to do what you want with!

I just read the secondary, and it says "To activate your application, please complete and return this form with your activation fee within two (2)weeks."

How strict are they on this, I had complications that didn't allow me to fill their secondary out until 22 days later
This definitely seems like a situation where you should call and talk to admissions. They will definitely understand and they will make sure that your application is good to go.

I still haven't received a secondary. I *finally* got my last letter in about a week ago, could that be why or should I email?

I still haven't received a secondary. I *finally* got my last letter in about a week ago, could that be why or should I email?
Letters don't have anything to do with secondaries. You should get a secondary just for submitting a primary (I don't believe they screen).

Does anyone know if Jefferson is receptive to in the area emails?

Check your spam, mine was sitting in spam folder for two weeks :/

Congrats! ORM/URM? what dates were open?

Thanks! I'm an URM. The rest of the wensdays for September were open, all in October and 1 in November. However, whenever I tried to pick an October date it kept saying they aren't available even though it said it was. So I'll have to call to verify dates.

Just my periodic plug for advice or questions if you need it... I'm a Jeff alum, current PGY-1. PM or whatever if you don't want to ask here.
With the average age of 23 incorporating 1 gap year post undergrad, is jefferson not a big fan of non-traditionals? How was your class, any 24-25 year olds? Or just a bunch of college kids and 1 or 2 nontrads bumping it up to 23? Thanks dude

With the average age of 23 incorporating 1 gap year post undergrad, is jefferson not a big fan of non-traditionals? How was your class, any 24-25 year olds? Or just a bunch of college kids and 1 or 2 nontrads bumping it up to 23? Thanks dude
Pretty sure the age has gone up at Jefferson (and most medical schools). Very few people I've met here went straight from undergrad to medical school. Many take a year or more. More than a few take many years.

Edit: my sampling may be biased as a non-trad.

We had quite a few non-traditional students. Our age range during MS1 was 18-35.

It seems like the median is 23 as well. A ton of people who are one to two years out from undergrad, definitely some older nontrads and some younger students.
Also, the first six (at least) interview days are full. There's probably some glitch if they seem available! The portal is relatively new so they may still be working out kinks.

Got an II two days ago 9/5 complete on 8/3

Reactions: 3 users
Recently applied to Jefferson and wanted to add myself to the thread. Completed early September and am hoping for an II before the year's end lol

Do you think not completing the essay will put me out of the running? I just checked my app and could've sworn I had something down but apparently I didn't. I'm a PA resident and would love to go to Jefferson so definitely mad at myself for not double checking
Hi! I would send in an update to admissions with the info you want to add to your file.

Does anyone know how strict the 2 week secondary rule is? I got mine over 1.5 months ago and am thinking about finally submitting it now...

Hi, really late to the game - I just applied today. Congrats to everyone with IIs already!

II today! Complete only 9/19-- two day turnaround

514, 3.75, in state, white, from a rural area

dates in September and October are now gone- I got the last interview on Nov. 1

Reactions: 16 users