2017-2018 Johns Hopkins University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II by email this morning. Complete email 7/26, only offered one interview date

Just received an II by email as well!

II! Wow, that's a way to wake up in the morning

Congrats everyone! Stats?

Members don't see this ad.

II :). Lizzy M 78, Michigan, not URM, complete 7/26 but I submitted well before then.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II this morning as well! 3.98 cGPA, 4.00 sGPA, 526 MCAT. I submitted on 7/6 and got the complete email on 7/26. I only got offered one date, but thankfully it works for me.

Reactions: 3 users
submitted 7/16 looks like I have a while to wait before I am marked complete

In the same boat! Patience, and all that :rolleyes: I submitted on 7/18 and on my portal, there's a line that says: Your application was completed on 8/7/2017 with a time stamp. No email yet, but hopefully it comes soon!

Did any of you get a response from Valerie Mazza when you confirmed your interview date?

Edit: Just wondering if my interview date has actually been confirmed or not, that's why.

Last edited:
Did any of you get a response from Valerie Mazza when you confirmed your interview date?

Edit: Just wondering if my interview date has actually been confirmed or not, that's why.
She replied 4 minutes later for me. I'm sure you'll get a response and hopefully we'll meet each other on interview day!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to everyone with IIs!!! I hope your interviews go well!

I'm feeling behind - just submitted today. This school is such a reach for me that I'm not really hoping for any love. But there are quite a few reasons I would like to get in!

Congrats to everyone with IIs!!! I hope your interviews go well!

I'm feeling behind - just submitted today. This school is such a reach for me that I'm not really hoping for any love. But there are quite a few reasons I would like to get in!

Also just submitted today. My final secondary

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have an option to request interview date change?
They didn't mention anything about requesting a different date, but I imagine it must be an option. You have to email to confirm your date, so there's at least someone to contact.

On the secondary app's extracurricular section, was anyone confused about the difference between "activity" and "position held"? Did you write the name of the organization under activity? Or "volunteering" / "community service"? Advice appreciated!

They didn't mention anything about requesting a different date, but I imagine it must be an option. You have to email to confirm your date, so there's at least someone to contact.
If you need to change, you may be better off calling them.

On the secondary app's extracurricular section, was anyone confused about the difference between "activity" and "position held"? Did you write the name of the organization under activity? Or "volunteering" / "community service"? Advice appreciated!
For "activity," I wrote the name of the organizations for everything except shadowing, which I put down as "shadowing in [specialty name]." I put my actual title for each activity in the "position held" line, i.e. "Child Life Services Volunteer, "Research Assistant," etc. Not sure if this is correct, but that's how I interpreted the fields!

I used a random mishmash of titles, organizations, and descriptions. I tried to put the name of the organization in "activity" and described what I did in "position held," but one or two of my hobbies ended up listed as something like "activity: beekeeping, position held: beekeeper" :rolleyes::rolleyes: Obviously not preferable, but I think they'll get the idea either way.

I got an email from JHU saying that my "decision is available online" but when I logged into the portal I literally couldn't find anything. Did anyone else have this problem?

I feel like if it were an II it would be sent directly in the email...probably a rejection :/
Yeah sorry decisions are usually final decisions

I got an email from JHU saying that my "decision is available online" but when I logged into the portal I literally couldn't find anything. Did anyone else have this problem?

I feel like if it were an II it would be sent directly in the email...probably a rejection :/
My II came in an email specifically titled "Interview Information." Very strange that you can't find anything on the portal -- I just checked mine and it still just says "submitted" and "completed" but nothing about an II.

My II came in an email specifically titled "Interview Information." Very strange that you can't find anything on the portal -- I just checked mine and it still just says "submitted" and "completed" but nothing about an II.

I have the exact same thing as @twentyeightmiles

If you need to change, you may be better off calling them.
I emailed Valerie with my reason behind needing to change the date and gave two other dates I was available. She replied and said either date was fine.

I emailed Valerie with my reason behind needing to change the date and gave two other dates I was available. She replied and said either date was fine.
I am happy for you!

Just got my complete email. Fingers crossed

Complete E-mail received just now. Submitted 7/20, complete 8/14, complete e-mail 8/17

hmm I submitted 7/16 but still no complete email. Should I call them?

hmm I submitted 7/16 but still no complete email. Should I call them?

Did you check the portal? It sounds like they take a long time to go through everything and I don't know the process. I'd kind of like to see how they do all of this.

Does Johns Hopkins have anywhere we can add updates? I couldn't find anything on the portal

Does Johns Hopkins have anywhere we can add updates? I couldn't find anything on the portal

I called last week, they don't accept application updates pre-II! Also, from talking to my advisors, the general consensus I'm getting is to wait on updates everywhere. It's too early in the cycle to think anything at this point (and this is with a recent publication being published that I co-authored...).

I called last week, they don't accept application updates pre-II! Also, from talking to my advisors, the general consensus I'm getting is to wait on updates everywhere. It's too early in the cycle to think anything at this point (and this is with a recent publication being published that I co-authored...).

Damn, Alright thanks. The reason for my updates is that I'm taking this next year off and for most of my applications I mentioned some of what I'm doing this upcoming year, but I just (this week) got pretty good part-time job that I want them all to know about.

II middle of Friday (8/18). Application submitted 7/17, got an email saying it was complete sometime early August.

Stats: 524 MCAT, 4.0 GPA, rising senior.
ECs: lots of research (no publications), approx. 200 hours clinical volunteering, music, work experience, and some tutoring.

Congrats to everyone who has an II, and good luck to all who are still waiting!

Reactions: 2 users
II middle of Friday (8/18). Application submitted 7/17, got an email saying it was complete sometime early August.

ECs: lots of research (no publications), approx. 200 hours clinical volunteering, music, work experience, and some tutoring.

Wow, awesome stats - Good luck on your interviews! I hate to ask, but which school already sent you a rejection?

I never got a complete email but on the portal it says all my materials are in. Is this worth emailing about? Submitted secondary mid July and all recs were in end of July.

Wow, awesome stats - Good luck on your interviews! I hate to ask, but which school already sent you a rejection?
Thank you so much! It was UC Irvine that rejected me, actually on the same day I sent in my secondary. If you want to know more about the details and my/others' thoughts on it, I posted about it in the UC Irvine thread when it happened. I'll refrain from rehashing it here so I don't clog up this thread with unrelated info.

Thank you so much! It was UC Irvine that rejected me, actually on the same day I sent in my secondary. If you want to know more about the details and my/others' thoughts on it, I posted about it in the UC Irvine thread when it happened. I'll refrain from rehashing it here so I don't clog up this thread with unrelated info.

Thanks! I'll check that out. I know some of those schools are mission-oriented, so that is less surprising. Sending good thoughts your way for your interview with Johns Hopkins!!

I never got a complete email but on the portal it says all my materials are in. Is this worth emailing about? Submitted secondary mid July and all recs were in end of July.
Not worth it. It's well known Hopkins does not complete right away.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Same and I submitted a lot earlier than some people who have already gotten interviews. Starting to get worried my application got lost or something haha.

II on Friday!! Such a good surprise :)

Did you guys get a reply from Ms. Valerie Mazza yet on the confirmation of your interview date?

Did you guys get a reply from Ms. Valerie Mazza yet on the confirmation of your interview date?
I had to email her to change my date because of a conflict, but she was very quick and helpful with her response.

I submitted mid-July and all my recs were in by the end of May. I just got the complete e-mail today. I wouldn't worry too much yet. We also have to remember that they almost never review apps in the order they were received. That might apply to checking for completeness too. Best of luck to you!